Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I just don't know.  (Read 2268 times)

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
I just don't know.
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:31:32 am »

What did I do wrong here? It seemed like my strategy should work, but I could never seem to get GMs and then the game was over.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: I just don't know.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:34 pm »

Minion is better than Governor at this kind of thing.

(I also would have opened with a Woodcutter instead of a Silver.)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:30:08 pm »

It can be hard to see through a kingdom with a selection of cards like governor, city, torturer, minion all at the same price range. They can be played in a variety of ways depending on how the players see it. However the torturer fit badly into your early game strategy since it was likely to draw your action cards dead and the attack was likely to be ineffective against minions. Gaining treasure with the governors wasn't enough to shift the balance away from minions towards terminal drawing.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:58:12 pm »

I agree with dondon Woodcutter over Silver here as everything you really want at costs 5 and 6 are cantrips. Torturer and Grand Market both look like pretty big traps here (Torturer moreso than Grand Market as you'll gladly take a GM if available while Torturer requires Cities to really work).

Given the presence of both Minion and Governor, I would expect to build my strategy around Governor as its Gold gaining is also Silver gaining clogging an opponents Minion deck and then pick up a couple of Minions to to reduce handsize after using Gov for draw. No matter, this game will be lightning fast, much faster than the 19 turns the OPs game went.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »

I don't think Minion and Governor combo like that. You're also throwing away a large hand when playing Minion for discard, and most of your economy will come from Treasures.

I'd still be crazy enough to go for the Torturer engine in this kingdom.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 12:16:21 am »

They do if you use Governor's remodel power first though that is a bit counter-intuitive (I am assuming for this purpose that I win the Gov split as an opponent going Torturer seems unlikely to win the Gov split). That said, maybe I was confused and I was thinking Minion engine augmented by Governor. I still think that roasts a deck targeting Grand Market and Torturer (though the Torturer engine with Ironmonger and City does intrigue me a bit even if I think it's too slow).

Also, I see little risk in using the remodel power in this game. Only Ironmonger is at cost 4 and I feel like massing those is a mistake here (this is one of the routes to the Torturer engine but I still think its too slow).

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 12:37:58 am »

In an untrimmed deck, you'll be hard-pressed to use solely Governor to do all of your drawing, Gold-gaining, and remodeling.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 11:22:48 am »

Yeah, I don't like the Minion-Governor idea. That's just throwing away too many cards.

I guess I shied away from Minion on this board because I don't know how Minion can work without much trashing. Can it?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 11:39:05 am »

I guess I shied away from Minion on this board because I don't know how Minion can work without much trashing. Can it?

Definitely. And especially so with Cellar support and to a lesser extent Ironmonger.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.