Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: GokoDom Round 5 Discussion of Goko  (Read 4861 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
GokoDom Round 5 Discussion of Goko
« on: May 18, 2013, 09:49:24 am »

3.)
really missing the good old days of dominion online now more then ever.
You know you can play on Goko too?

Yeah, I know. And when I read about the tournament, I really want to. Maybe I should have joined this one, maybe I will join the next.
Apart from that, no matchmaking translates to 'unplayable'. I like playing against strong opponents, and they just don't care about that.
On iso I usually had to wait around 10 minutes for a match (+/- 10 levels). On Goko, those 10 minutes would be hours and the 'waiting' would be 'clicking from one room to the next'.
Where's the fun in that?

I think that has to do less with the lack of a matchmaking system, but rather with the lack of such players on Goko. I would offer to play some games with you, but it would be quite a stretch to fit me into the "very good" category
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:51:17 pm by Kirian »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Re: GOKODOM I: Round 5 Results and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 12:12:29 pm »

3.)

Yeah, I know. And when I read about the tournament, I really want to. Maybe I should have joined this one, maybe I will join the next.
Apart from that, no matchmaking translates to 'unplayable'. I like playing against strong opponents, and they just don't care about that.
On iso I usually had to wait around 10 minutes for a match (+/- 10 levels). On Goko, those 10 minutes would be hours and the 'waiting' would be 'clicking from one room to the next'.
Where's the fun in that?

I think that has to do less with the lack of a matchmaking system, but rather with the lack of such players on Goko. I would offer to play some games with you, but it would be quite a stretch to fit me into the "very good" category

Indeed.  There are maybe a dozen players of Stef's caliber, and many or most of them don't have cards.  And they aren't on all the time.  I'm usually in or near the top 100, and I'm nowhere near you, Stef.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »

3.)

Where's the fun in that?

Indeed.  There are maybe a dozen players of Stef's caliber, and many or most of them don't have cards.  And they aren't on all the time.  I'm usually in or near the top 100, and I'm nowhere near you, Stef.

According to goko, I'm typically in or near the top 100, but in this tournament I went 1-4.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:45:51 pm »
+3

Well, I decided to give Goko another try today.

I played quite some games. My last experience was against bots trying to beat them without using zaps, so this was a lot better.
Only two misclicks, only 2 opponents leaving in the middle of the game, and only 2 losses. Guess that's a good score.
I have only played against one opponent that actually played dominion, but hey, can't have it all on a first day.

#5 on the leaderboard now... lespeutere, here I come.

Guess I'll shut up now before Kirian notices I'm polluting his results-thread.
Join the Dominion League!

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 04:50:27 pm »
+1

Well, I decided to give Goko another try today.

I played quite some games. My last experience was against bots trying to beat them without using zaps, so this was a lot better.
Only two misclicks, only 2 opponents leaving in the middle of the game, and only 2 losses. Guess that's a good score.
I have only played against one opponent that actually played dominion, but hey, can't have it all on a first day.

#5 on the leaderboard now... lespeutere, here I come.

Guess I'll shut up now before Kirian notices I'm polluting his results-thread.

Lol.  It says "results and discussion."  Having a high-level player discuss other people's games and his experiences with Goko counts as relevant discussion.

Because I'm the benevolent dictator in this sub-forum, and I say it is.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 05:32:36 pm »
+7

3.)

Where's the fun in that?

I just have to say, from my experience, there is one player of Stef's caliber, and his name is Stef.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 05:59:59 pm »

And SheCantSayNo kicks Stef down. I'm rated higher than Stef. YAY!

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »

I just have to say, from my experience, there is one player of Stef's caliber, and his name is Stef.

But then... who will Stef play? :)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 06:40:59 pm »

solitaire can be fun!

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 06:47:05 pm »

solitaire can be fun!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

It's Stef vs. Stef vs. Stef vs. Stef in an All-Stef-All-the-Time Marathon Stef-a-Thon Tournament!

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 06:49:16 pm »

And now I really probably should split this topic.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 07:00:45 pm »
+4

Well thank you sir.

I've played quite a bit more today and although it's clearly not as good as iso it was, Goko isn't as bad as I feared / remembered either.
Nutki's script is really awesome. It solves most problems, and it solves them really well.

Finding a game is by far the most annoying thing left. This situation where all players are distributed over some weird concept of 'rooms' is really bizarre. But I guess you guys already know that.

and... I made it to #1 :)
just over 7000 now.
does anybody know what the record is?
Join the Dominion League!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 07:04:32 pm »

just over 7000 now.
does anybody know what the record is?

Wow. Just curious, how many games have you played to achieve this?
I don't know what the highest score was, but I had 7190 a few weeks ago.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: GokoDom Round 5 Discussion of Goko
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 07:06:43 pm »

I was in the 71XX range a month or two ago, don't remember the highest but was never first due to leaderboard-gamers.

Edit: I should also note that they've changed teh rating system since then - it decays faster now, which makes it harder to get high, I *think*.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:13:09 pm by WanderingWinder »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:55 pm »

it decays faster now, which makes it harder to get high, I *think*.

Dude, that totally harshes my mellow.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 07:48:41 pm »

just over 7000 now.

Congrats!

I was in the 71XX range a month or two ago, don't remember the highest but was never first due to leaderboard-gamers.

Edit: I should also note that they've changed teh rating system since then - it decays faster now, which makes it harder to get high, I *think*.

Yeah, a few weeks ago or so there were 60 people with a 6000+ rating, now there are only 40. I've also lost about 1000 casual rating points during that period, all from not playing. The weird thing is that when I did play a few casual games again, I didn't gain any more points than usual, as would happen if the decay was due to increased uncertainty. It really seems like those points are just 'gone', which would make the system strongly biased in favor of players who play alot.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 02:47:15 pm »

I was up to I think 7153 earlier today.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 06:52:16 pm »

Hey, Obi Wan Bonogi is on Goko too!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 20 queries.