Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some intricate design choices the game designer might have made consciously  (Read 3429 times)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
+2

Theory's article on the blog made me think of this.

Think about Measurement and Metric System. Their names and functions are very similar. However, in terms of splaying, Measurement is actually the better card. It has lower requirement (one card in hand vs. more than one card in green on the table) is more flexible, (don't need to splay green first) and has more potential (can draw a high age card.) But why is the better card sitting at a lower age?

Truth to be told, between the two cards I actually like the metric system better. And this has everything to do with its symbols. Crowns and Factories are just that much more important in the middle ages. And I think it is more than justified to put the metric system at the higher age just because of its symbols.

There are a few other examples I can think of which also show a similar intricacy.

For example, there are only two factories on Industrialization versus three leaves on reformation. Both cards can tuck and splay. The fact that Industrialization is draw and tuck makes it 2 ages higher and one fewer icon.

Also, think about Alchemy. It is a strong card, but the fact that it cannot draw red cards actually somewhat balances it. If it says green instead for example, then it will be a bit overpowered.

Do you find any other examples where small design choices make big differences in the game?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
+2

I think it's very interesting to note that the draw-and-meld cards (Experimentation, Atomic Theory, and Corporations) all appear in the power spike ages.  It would be pretty OP if Experimentation was an Age 5 card letting you draw/meld Age 6 cards.

Hideyoshi

• Baron
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
+2

It is quite interesting about age 8:

You may find that you can quite easily to score an 8 below age 7. You have democracy and evolution to directly score an 8 (and some indirect methods like chemistry which you may score an 8). For other ages, there are not so many cards which tell you to "draw and score a X" directly. But you may find that in the game you can hardly directly tech up to age 8. There is only 1 card which can directly tech up to age 8, electricity. Unlike most of the other tech up cards, electricity features factories instead of bulbs. It is also probably the only card featured factory which can help you to tech up.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 20 queries.