Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's the strategy against this set?  (Read 1523 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
What's the strategy against this set?
« on: October 16, 2011, 03:57:28 pm »

I got killed in this set, because my opponent bought two Militias and hit me virtually every turn.  I was hoping to Chapel down my deck, but had bad luck (not drawing the Chapel until turn 5).  Was it just bad luck drawing the Chapel late and getting constantly hit by the Militias, or is it a better strategy to load up on Militias?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201110/16/game-20111016-125040-2bc2f595.html

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Re: What's the strategy against this set?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:05:56 pm »

I would say you got unlucky, but also that you should've bought witch; it's very good in chapel decks because your deck is relatively thin, letting you play it more frequently. It's also a good card in general.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:34:41 pm »

I'll second Elvy. You got quite unlucky in the opening. You  lost chapel in the first reshuffle, and then that hand was hit by militia, and even then there were no estates in it to trash. Witch is often a strong card, and the presence of chapel doesnt change the fact. Every curse your opponent has to trash is a copper/estate he can't. Finally, I'd say don't be afraid to open something like militia/chapel. Maybe not on this board, if you plan on grabbing a witch, but in general this is true. While it's bad if the two collide, it's almost just as bad if your silver and chapel collide, so why not.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:02:37 pm »

It's a rough set. It would be nice to keep your deck tight and react to your opponent's play but with the gardens, dukes, and limited actions it's not really possible. All the attacks come into play and by the time you play your actions, the game will have progressed from when you bought the actions. Whisper it quietly, but this might have been a deck where you perhaps shouldn't buy a chapel at all.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:50:16 pm »

Chapel is marginal at best against a Militia opening. If you get hit with Militia with Chapel in hand even once before you finish the bulk of your trimming, you've lost a huge amount of tempo you're not likely to get back. I haven't done simulations or anything, but I suspect 2xMilitia + Big Money will trounce single-Chapel (for one simple example). If your opponent here hadn't allowed himself to be distracted by going for Chapels, Tribute, & Thief, he'd probably have won more easily than this. Markets are reasonable $5 buys though.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 06:52:29 pm »

Oh, and on this specific board, Witch was the card to go for over and above Militia ;) Except in rare-ish circumstances that simply don't exist on this board, Chapel is garbage against Witch.

I'd suggest opening Silver/Silver, getting 2 Witches ASAP (buying the first one even if you have $6+), and buying no other action cards except Cellars and Markets for the rest of the game. Depending on how it plays out there may be opportunity for Gardens or Duke hokery-pokery, but that's something to think about after the Curses are gone.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:55:06 pm by guided »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.