Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 72  All

Author Topic: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion  (Read 601199 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion
« Reply #1250 on: April 24, 2014, 10:29:37 am »
+4

the options include autokick by iso rating. how do you phrase your game title for that to have effect? "LVL XX-YY" doesn't seem to work

Yeah, the syntax isn't very forgiving.  It has to be like these:

L15+
L20-
L15-20

well i was now matched first against stef and then against a guy with lvl <10, so i'm pretty sure it doesn't work

the bad thing is that i lost both games

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 24, 2014, 11:00:17 am »

well i was now matched first against stef and then against a guy with lvl <10, so i'm pretty sure it doesn't work

Okay, thanks.  I can see those games in the server log and there are at least two things going wrong.  Some good matches are being prevented and some bad matches are being allowed.

The bad matches bug was a one-line fix for the server, so that's deployed now and you shouldn't have that problem again.  The good matches bug is more mysterious and I'll need to gather some more information before I can track it down.

Until then, be aware that automatch with the Isotropish rating criterion will sometimes work incorrectly.  That is, if you set L20+ or L20-30, automatch will sometimes screw up and refuse to match you with a L25 player who ought to be eligible for the match.

Edit: Found the problem.  Only the beta version actually submits the user's Isotropish rating to automatch, so you can't automatch with official-version users when you're using isotropish criteria.  The beta will go out in a couple days unless some giant new bug arises.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:14:22 am by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 24, 2014, 11:30:10 am »

Edit: Found the problem.  Only the beta version actually submits the user's Isotropish rating to automatch, so you can't automatch with official-version users when you're using isotropish criteria.  The beta will go out in a couple days unless some giant new bug arises.

You are submitting the level from the client's expansion instead of grabbing it directly from your database? That seems strange, and more importantly, a bit "dangerous". I do not care too much personally as someone impersonating a different level than their own via tweaking their own Salvager code, but seems like a dangerous practice.

I am a decent programmer, but by no means I am a developer nor have any experience with internet security stuff, so sorry in advance if I am way off.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 24, 2014, 11:56:56 am »

You are submitting the level from the client's expansion instead of grabbing it directly from your database? That seems strange, and more importantly, a bit "dangerous". I do not care too much personally as someone impersonating a different level than their own via tweaking their own Salvager code, but seems like a dangerous practice.

I am a decent programmer, but by no means I am a developer nor have any experience with internet security stuff, so sorry in advance if I am way off.

No, you're quite right.  It's terrible.

There are actually quite a few ways in which someone who pokes around in the JS code can abuse Salvager.  Some are unavoidable because we're not Goko and can't access their data directly.  Others, like this one, are just thing that were easy to code wrong and which I've never bothered to fix.  Of course, those issues are nothing compared to the ways in which such a person can abuse Goko.

Fortunately, with the exception of a few leaderboard cheats, nobody really seems to be trying to exploit either Goko or Salvager.  I'll get serious about security if and when that changes, but the stakes are so low that it would feel wasteful to spend much effort on it before then.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:14 pm »

Okay, thanks.  I can see those games in the server log and there are at least two things going wrong.  Some good matches are being prevented and some bad matches are being allowed.

The bad matches bug was a one-line fix for the server, so that's deployed now and you shouldn't have that problem again.  The good matches bug is more mysterious and I'll need to gather some more information before I can track it down.

Until then, be aware that automatch with the Isotropish rating criterion will sometimes work incorrectly.  That is, if you set L20+ or L20-30, automatch will sometimes screw up and refuse to match you with a L25 player who ought to be eligible for the match.

oh good, when we did the test game and it worked, i was almost thinking that i screwed something up and complained for no reason

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 25, 2014, 10:15:58 am »
+2

this can't be right

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:36 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 25, 2014, 10:35:17 am »

this can't be right

Why not?

well, because his rating of 1048 isn't between 5400 and 6300 and he didn't get kicked, i even got the notification for a found match

it worked fine for everyone else. and it's not a big deal either... but it's definitely not right.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 25, 2014, 11:26:21 am »
+1

this can't be right

Why not?

well, because his rating of 1048 isn't between 5400 and 6300 and he didn't get kicked, i even got the notification for a found match

it worked fine for everyone else. and it's not a big deal either... but it's definitely not right.

Oh... duh.  It's probably related to him being a guest. I'll look into it.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 25, 2014, 06:23:35 pm »

I can't replicate this.  I'm using the same version you have (beta, v2.5.4.2) and I get the correct autokick behavior when I have a guest join.  You probably encountered some unusual edge case that I haven't thought of.  Please turn on "extra logging" and post a full log if it happens again.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 25, 2014, 07:26:50 pm »

I can't replicate this.  I'm using the same version you have (beta, v2.5.4.2) and I get the correct autokick behavior when I have a guest join.  You probably encountered some unusual edge case that I haven't thought of.  Please turn on "extra logging" and post a full log if it happens again.

willdo

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 26, 2014, 09:20:44 pm »
+1

Every time Chan Kuan Rong joined my game for gokodom I got this warning from my antivirus (Kaspersky)

Looks like something to do with hosting the avatar maybe?

"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 26, 2014, 11:18:29 pm »
+7

Every time Chan Kuan Rong joined my game for gokodom I got this warning from my antivirus (Kaspersky)

Looks like something to do with hosting the avatar maybe?

LOL.  Apparently, Kaspersky has decided that the Salvager icon is going to infect your computer.

Watch out!!

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 27, 2014, 06:42:13 am »
+1

I've had my doubts about Kasperksy ever since I read this and this, but trying to block Salvager is definitely the last straw.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 27, 2014, 10:05:04 am »
+2

I wonder if changing to gokosalvager.com domain resolves this.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 27, 2014, 12:14:03 pm »

I've had my doubts about Kasperksy ever since I read this and this, but trying to block Salvager is definitely the last straw.

Unfortunately it's required for my school. It wont let me navigate to the url in browser either...

Edit: Clarification. I meant the salvager image url, not goko or gokosalvager.com or anything.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:39:01 pm by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 27, 2014, 12:47:11 pm »

Just install linux, or use a liveUSB to play Dominion.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 27, 2014, 03:50:21 pm »

I wonder if changing to gokosalvager.com domain resolves this.

Probably.  Kaspersky doesn't object to the source png file when I scan it manually, so either it's a man-in-the-middle attack (absurdly unlikely) or Kaspersky is really just objecting to the domain mismatch.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 27, 2014, 06:22:37 pm »
+4

I just got auto-matched with someone with base set only.

Edit:  And for some reason it didn't set me up as host.  So... big problem there.

Thanks.  I'll look into it.

Matching you with a base-only player is correct behavior, but making him the host is not right.  AM should always choose the player with more sets as host.

I found the cause of this problem.  Salvager asks MF/Goko which sets you own, and it isn't supposed to allow you to submit an automatch request until it gets an answer, but "Use Automatch" and "Quick Game" both unintentionally evade the code I originally wrote to enforce that requirement.

So my server receives an automatch request claiming that you own no expansions, not even Base.  Instead of freaking out at this impossible request, it just has your opponent host.  If your automatch settings allow a Base-only match (the default), it's possible to match with an opponent who has only Base.

Fixing this shouldn't be hard.  Automatch just needs to be a little more careful about enforcing its information requirements.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 06:24:04 pm by ragingduckd »

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:29 pm »
+11

New official release: v2.5.4.2

Features:
- #vpon/off options for automatch
- Automatch chat/explanation dialog
- Option to explain autokicks in lobby chat
- Isotropish level in player popop
- Autokick by Isotropish level
- Kingdom generator appends "All" by default
- Clickable option text in the settings dialog

Bug fixes:
- No more "... has left the game" messages

For developers:
- HTML templates with grunt
- all WS connections on port 443

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 27, 2014, 10:39:25 pm »

Awesome!

This was a Goko bug, right, not a Salvager bug?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 27, 2014, 10:42:28 pm »
+6

Awesome!

This was a Goko bug, right, not a Salvager bug?

I'd say it was a team effort.  Goko has always been feeding the client this nonsense, but Salvager made it visible.  :P

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 27, 2014, 11:02:23 pm »
+4

🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 28, 2014, 05:32:14 am »

That's probably not a big issue, but all the verbs in the log are used in present tenses, all but "apply", which is used in the past tense.
So maybe it should read like that:
"... applies Watchtower to..."

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 28, 2014, 06:02:20 am »
+1

The log tense stuff is Making Fun's issue; Salvager doesn't generate the log, it just displays it.

If it is just one word that would need to change I think it would be a simple fix, but if it turned out more words were that way people would want those fixed too, more little requests happen and before you know it there's a complete Goko-to-Isotropic log converter. Now that I've said that someone probably wants it but the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think it's worth anyone's time to add this to Salvager.

Go ahead and post the request on Making Fun's forums, though I personally have no idea what sort of response you'll get there.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 72  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.