Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 72  All

Author Topic: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion  (Read 600915 times)

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion
« Reply #1050 on: April 03, 2014, 06:49:14 pm »
+2

Another feature request: At the end of a game, a button to offer a rematch, if both press, do a rematch with the same options. Simpler version: host gets the button, automatically make a table with "For XXX #vpon/#vpoff" in the name. Other non-simple version: button to offer a rematch that raises a pop-up for the other player similar to the automatch offer one (or even the same) to accept/reject.

I like this and have been vaguely planning something like it for a while.  If and when get to it, it'll be the "non-simple" version that you propose.

I don't want to just stuff it into the automatch framework though... I'm pretty sure I'd end up regretting that.  So I need to think a little about how best to handle the client/server communication.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 03, 2014, 11:46:22 pm »
+1

Anyone else not seeing graphics of non-Salvager users?  Not sure what's going on.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: April 03, 2014, 11:57:45 pm »

Anyone else not seeing graphics of non-Salvager users?  Not sure what's going on.

It looks like you're using beta v2.5.3.0?  If so, update to get the fix for that.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 04, 2014, 03:18:39 am »
+1

Salvager on Chrome just dissapeared from my Browser? I also cant find it in the chrome store to reinstall it. has anyone else this problem or had it before?

would be nice if you could help me i cant play without it...

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 04, 2014, 03:57:10 am »
+3

i had the same problem two days ago. You can find a link to the goko salvager extension on the chrome web store if you go to the dominion online resources page (use the link in ragingducks signature) and click on chrome. then reinstall. That solve the issue for me.

It's really weird playing without the extension, once you are used to it.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 04, 2014, 04:18:22 am »

Thanks ;)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 04, 2014, 05:20:19 am »
+1

It looks like you're using beta v2.5.3.0?  If so, update to get the fix for that.

I was still using that one too. Does the beta not automatically update?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 04, 2014, 06:06:48 am »
+4

lol, in my search for the new beta version I accidentally stumbled across the chrome store and decided to check out the reviews, where I found this gem:

Also, not sure if this is Chrome or the extension, but at times I can't create a game. Automatch works fine, but I can't just create a game. Strange.

So, Andrew, would you say this problem is caused by Chrome, or by the extension?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 04, 2014, 06:31:19 am »
+3

lol, in my search for the new beta version I accidentally stumbled across the chrome store and decided to check out the reviews, where I found this gem:

Also, not sure if this is Chrome or the extension, but at times I can't create a game. Automatch works fine, but I can't just create a game. Strange.

So, Andrew, would you say this problem is caused by Chrome, or by the extension?

My favorite is when people post requests for help in the review section.  There's no way for me to respond with help!  :P

I was still using that one too. Does the beta not automatically update?

Auto-updating is a bit flaky.  It might be because your developers are a bit flaky, or it might be the auto-update process itself.  In any case, you often have to just force your browser to check for updates.  I don't think it's ever necessary to manually reinstall.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:00:55 am by ragingduckd »

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 04, 2014, 07:01:55 am »

i had the same problem two days ago. You can find a link to the goko salvager extension on the chrome web store if you go to the dominion online resources page (use the link in ragingducks signature) and click on chrome. then reinstall. That solve the issue for me.

I have absolutely no idea why this happened.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 04, 2014, 07:53:06 am »
+1

don't worry. it's my fault not yours...

let me explain. somehow the extension did not load. Usually you just have to refresh the browserpage and then it loads. It did not. I cleared the cache, reloaded a couple of times, then went to the chrome extensions looked for updates, and while fiddling around there i accidently hit the trash bin button. and suddenly goko salvager was gone :o

When i tried to reinstall i couldn't find the extension in the chrome webstore. That was what i was referring to when i said i had the same problem as RTT. maybe RTT has a similar confession to make.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 04, 2014, 07:58:52 am »

don't worry. it's my fault not yours...

let me explain. somehow the extension did not load. Usually you just have to refresh the browserpage and then it loads. It did not. I cleared the cache, reloaded a couple of times, then went to the chrome extensions looked for updates, and while fiddling around there i accidently hit the trash bin button. and suddenly goko salvager was gone :o

When i tried to reinstall i couldn't find the extension in the chrome webstore. That was what i was referring to when i said i had the same problem as RTT. maybe RTT has a similar confession to make.

lol.  Okay, we'll split the blame... this Salvager not loading nonsense really has to stop.  At least now the links show up so you know whether it's loaded or not. :-P

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 04, 2014, 08:28:04 am »
+1

Huh... it appears that FF auto-updated it sometime between me posting this and you responding.  WTH FF?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 04, 2014, 06:12:25 pm »
+1

uh, are you supposed to be able to copy out of the chat? i can't, but i've heard someone saying that you can. i have a pretty interesting chat atm, and it'd be cool to post it here

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 04, 2014, 06:26:39 pm »

uh, are you supposed to be able to copy out of the chat? i can't, but i've heard someone saying that you can. i have a pretty interesting chat atm, and it'd be cool to post it here

I don't know any good way.  There's something very weird about all the text widgets on the site... you can't click-and-drag to highlight text anywhere.  It's clearly some weird CSS or JS thing, but I haven't been able to figure it out.  I'm sure this could be fixed if a competent web developer/hacker takes a look at it.

The best I can suggest is to triple click, which will at least select the current chat, though not the whole chat area.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: April 04, 2014, 06:42:17 pm »
+4

oh, it actually works with crtl + a. you also copy the entire log, but at least you get the chat

now im just not sure if it's interesting enough to open a thread for it...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:50:24 pm by silverspawn »

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 08, 2014, 01:49:40 am »
+3

Feature request/idea: So I'm sure a lot of us would love for Goko to provide an "Identical Starting Hands" option, but I doubt many of us are holding our breath.  Providing such an option through Salvager would be nontrivial to be sure, but I think it's possible.  Here's the basic idea:

- Both players need Salvager, and there would be some chat-window negotiation similar to how #vpon/#vpoff works now.  It would all have to take place before anyone takes a "real turn," so if Salvager detects that a player, say, gained a card, the identical starting hands process would abort.  (I know gaining a card isn't a perfect indicator that someone played a turn, and welcome other suggestions.)

- Assuming both players start the process and let it continue, both Salvager instances would do something along these lines:
Code: [Select]
loop
  chat some representation of your hand, either a full card list or something simpler like "#34", "#25", etc.
  if hands are identical, break out of the loop and let the game begin for real.
  take two dead turns, i.e. click End Actions, End Turn.  In effect, reshuffle the starting deck.
end loop
Optional: Delete those dead turns from the log.

- One issue is, how much do you care about identical distribution of shelters in shelter games?  That could make the first step more complex (need to list which ruins you have in addition to how many copper), and the whole process takes longer since the expected number of reshuffles to match shelters with each other is higher.

- Another thing is that this algorithm will settle on 2/5 openings a lot less often, since you need two (presumably) independent shuffles to hit on 2/5.  A goko-provided identical-hands feature would hopefully just use the RNG once to generate a hand that both players start with, so the chance of 2/5 would be the usual ~8%.  But the chance to hit that 8% twice on independent shuffles is less than 1%.  So I guess players would have to decide if making 2/5 that much rarer is an acceptable tradeoff for identical hands.

Anyway, that's about it.  I'm sure this "protocol" isn't perfect and needs some tweaking and filling in of details, but I think two Salvager users could essentially agree to let the extension reshuffle their starting decks until identical hands come up.  What do you all think, is this worth the effort? 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:23:38 am by theblankman »
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:27 am »
+1

Feature request/idea: So I'm sure a lot of us would love for Goko to provide an "Identical Starting Hands" option, but I doubt many of us are holding our breath.  Providing such an option through Salvager would be nontrivial to be sure, but I think it's possible.  Here's the basic idea:

- Both players need Salvager, and there would be some chat-window negotiation similar to how #vpon/#vpoff works now.  It would all have to take place before anyone takes a "real turn," so if Salvager detects that a player, say, gained a card, the identical starting hands process would abort.  (I know gaining a card isn't a perfect indicator that someone played a turn, and welcome other suggestions.)

- Assuming both players start the process and let it continue, both Salvager instances would do something along these lines:
Code: [Select]
loop
  chat some representation of your hand, either a full card list or something simpler like "#34", "#25", etc.
  if hands are identical, break out of the loop and let the game begin for real.
  take two dead turns, i.e. click End Actions, End Turn.  In effect, reshuffle the starting deck.
end loop
Optional: Delete those dead turns from the log.

- One issue is, how much do you care about identical distribution of ruins in ruin games?  That could make the first step more complex (need to list which ruins you have in addition to how many copper), and the whole process takes longer since the expected number of reshuffles to match ruins with each other is higher.

- Another thing is that this algorithm will settle on 2/5 openings a lot less often, since you need two (presumably) independent shuffles to hit on 2/5.  A goko-provided identical-hands feature would hopefully just use the RNG once to generate a hand that both players start with, so the chance of 2/5 would be the usual ~8%.  But the chance to hit that 8% twice on independent shuffles is less than 1%.  So I guess players would have to decide if making 2/5 that much rarer is an acceptable tradeoff for identical hands.

Anyway, that's about it.  I'm sure this "protocol" isn't perfect and needs some tweaking and filling in of details, but I think two Salvager users could essentially agree to let the extension reshuffle their starting decks until identical hands come up.  What do you all think, is this worth the effort?

This is a really cool idea.  I assume that by "ruin," you actually mean "shelters."  But yes, it should be entirely possible to skip 2 turns each until the desired starting hands arise. :)

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 08, 2014, 03:32:48 am »
+3

This is not a problem. You simply take starting hand of the first player and rerun two turns until both players end up with that hand. Needs more redraws, but fixes the distribution. If animations are set to very fast while redrawing, even inj unlucky cases this should not take very long and, as this time is taken before the first turn, it can be put to good use anyway as both players analyze the kingdom.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 08, 2014, 08:36:20 am »
+2

Awesome! And, instead of only working when both players have this option selected, we can put it in the automatch parameters! That way players won't have to blacklist those who have the option turned off.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 08, 2014, 09:30:22 am »
+1

So something odd happened to me the other day and I totally forgot to report it.  I had my match set to #vpon.  Someone joined, and I started the game, not via automatch.  Then when I got into the game, I got the message "The VP counter is locked off because #vpoff was specified in automatch."

Any idea what might have been going on there?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 08, 2014, 09:37:31 am »

So something odd happened to me the other day and I totally forgot to report it.  I had my match set to #vpon.  Someone joined, and I started the game, not via automatch.  Then when I got into the game, I got the message "The VP counter is locked off because #vpoff was specified in automatch."

Any idea what might have been going on there?

Nope, but thanks for reporting it.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #1072 on: April 08, 2014, 10:35:02 am »
+1

My avatar don't get displayed in the lobby and the home-page. It works in the game though.
And the isotropic-levels aren't displayed anymore.

(using v.2.5.1.4 and Firefox)
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 08, 2014, 10:40:47 am »

My avatar don't get displayed in the lobby and the home-page. It works in the game though.

If it happened just now, then please try reloading the page.  I had to restart the server and it may have confused the extension.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #1074 on: April 08, 2014, 11:09:01 am »

If it happened just now, then please try reloading the page.  I had to restart the server and it may have confused the extension.
Great. Works again. Thanks!
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 72  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.