Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 72  All

Author Topic: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion  (Read 600778 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion
« Reply #925 on: March 22, 2014, 08:53:26 pm »

I've installed the beta and it looks good, but I've only played one or two games since then.  The only weird thing I've noticed is that sometimes the isotropish rating is put on top of the next person's username on the list of players in the lobby.

Aha.  It seems that this can happen if you're zoomed in in Chrome.  Are you at 120%+ by any chance?
nope

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 22, 2014, 10:34:04 pm »

I've installed the beta and it looks good, but I've only played one or two games since then.  The only weird thing I've noticed is that sometimes the isotropish rating is put on top of the next person's username on the list of players in the lobby.

Aha.  It seems that this can happen if you're zoomed in in Chrome.  Are you at 120%+ by any chance?
nope

Ok, then I'm at a loss.  Could you please post your browser, Salvager version, and a screenshot?
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 22, 2014, 11:41:49 pm »

using Chrome and Salvager 2.5.0.1 (the beta version)
Taking a screenshot is more trouble (since I don't remember how offhand). Maybe I'll post that tomorrow.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 23, 2014, 12:02:04 am »

using Chrome and Salvager 2.5.0.1 (the beta version)
Taking a screenshot is more trouble (since I don't remember how offhand). Maybe I'll post that tomorrow.

http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Is anyone else experiencing this or any other problems with the beta?
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 23, 2014, 12:20:11 am »
+1

Screenshot attached

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: March 23, 2014, 12:54:00 am »

Screenshot attached

Okay, so for one reason or another, there just isn't the normal amount of UI real estate on your screen.  The HTML elements are all too big for their containers.  Like the gray rectangles that bound each game... they're supposed to fit in the game list area, like so:

In your shot, they're extending out under the scroll bar on the right.  That's not Salvager... it's just the Goko UI.  Obviously it's not a serious problem for the game list, but you're seeing the same effect with the Isotropish ratings... the text is too large for the container and it's spilling onto the next line.

I'll get an option to hide the Goko Pro ratings entirely into the next beta; or maybe an option to display the ratings without the "Rating:" and "Level:" prefixes.  Either of those fixes should clear up the space you need.

In the mean time, I suggest checking these four possible causes:
1. You have Chrome's zoom on (press Ctrl-0 to reset to 100% and make sure)
2. You have another zooming browser extension like No-Squint
3. You have very low resolution on your display (e.g. 800x600)
4. You have oversized fonts enabled either in Chrome or in the Windows Control Panel

If you have a low resolution display or can't otherwise resolve the issue, you'll either have to zoom out in Chrome (Ctrl-Minus) or make do without the Isotropish ratings for now.  Sorry I can't do any better until the next release cycle, but it won't be long.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:57:59 am by ragingduckd »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 23, 2014, 01:18:32 am »
+1

I checked the possible causes, and didn't find anything. I'm sure I'm not zoomed in in any way. I don't have low resolution. I can't find the setting for oversized fonts, but I'm sure I didn't turn it on and I'm the only one who uses this computer. Maybe it has something to do with the black areas on either side of the game display area. I don't know why those are there.

It's not a big deal at all, especially since it only happens when the isotropic level is more than 5 characters.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 23, 2014, 01:50:25 am »

I checked the possible causes, and didn't find anything. I'm sure I'm not zoomed in in any way. I don't have low resolution. I can't find the setting for oversized fonts, but I'm sure I didn't turn it on and I'm the only one who uses this computer. Maybe it has something to do with the black areas on either side of the game display area. I don't know why those are there.

Because Goko decided to try to make the game and the lobby UI fit into the lowest common-denominator of screen sizes.  It was a terrible idea and they implemented it poorly.  On the plus side, it left space for the extension to use for the game log and chat.

It's not a big deal at all, especially since it only happens when the isotropic level is more than 5 characters.

Okay, thanks for reporting it and checking the possible causes anyway.  We can just hope it isn't a common problem.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 23, 2014, 01:55:02 am »
+7

By the way, does the Isotropish level really have to be displayed with such detail? I think 2nd decimal place is definitely overkill and even the first one isn't that needed. Isotropic displayed only your full level in the lobby, which made going up (especially to new all-time high) feel like an achievement.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 23, 2014, 02:00:52 am »

By the way, does the Isotropish level really have to be displayed with such detail? I think 2nd decimal place is definitely overkill and even the first one isn't that needed. Isotropic displayed only your full level in the lobby, which made going up (especially to new all-time high) feel like an achievement.

Nope, I was just mirroring what I'd done on the Isotropish leaderboard.  I see the psychological appeal, though.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 24, 2014, 07:08:56 am »
+12

New official release: v2.5.1
  • Has exactly the features in the recent beta release.
  • Also implemented hsaile's suggestion of displaying no decimals for Isotropish level.
New beta release: v2.5.2
  • Option to explain your reason for auto-kicking
  • Autozap option for Adventures
  • Include opponent name and rating in join notifications
  • Optional chat alerts: sound, brief flash
  • No more random "[Player] has left the game" messages
  • No "Player Joined" notifications in Play Bots and Adventure modes
Updates are now automatic for both beta and regular users.  If your version doesn't update, try:
1. Restarting your browser
2. Making sure that auto-updates aren't disabled
3. Re-installing the most recent version
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:27:27 am by ragingduckd »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 24, 2014, 10:48:36 am »
+1

michaeljb and ragingduckd,

In your work on the extension, have you discovered whether or not the contents of the Black Market deck can be influenced (for casual and unrated games)?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 24, 2014, 11:30:08 am »
+1

In your work on the extension, have you discovered whether or not the contents of the Black Market deck can be influenced (for casual and unrated games)?

I haven't, but I haven't looked either.

Edit: I've glanced around, but there's nothing obvious.  Doesn't mean it's not there, just that it'd take some digging.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:27:07 am by ragingduckd »

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 24, 2014, 01:04:59 pm »
+1

I haven't, but I haven't looked either.
Same.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 24, 2014, 05:31:37 pm »

It looks like you can no longer sort players in the lobby by Casual rating. Why would you remove this functionality?

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds more belligerent than I meant it. It would be cool if you could still sort by Casual ranking.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:40:56 pm by LastFootnote »

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 24, 2014, 08:11:22 pm »
+1

It looks like you can no longer sort players in the lobby by Casual rating. Why would you remove this functionality?

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds more belligerent than I meant it. It would be cool if you could still sort by Casual ranking.

Fixed in v2.5.1.1 (official) and v2.5.2.1 (beta).  Thanks for the edit.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 24, 2014, 09:15:38 pm »
+1

Fixed in v2.5.1.1 (official) and v2.5.2.1 (beta).  Thanks for the edit.

Sigh... and I broke the lobby UI while I was at it.  Fixed in v2.5.1.2/v2.5.2.2.

Also got in-game custom avatars working again (beta version only).

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 24, 2014, 09:30:24 pm »
+1

In the kingdom generator, how do you select Young Witch and a bane? It seems to take other 10 card kingdoms just fine (using + or , to separate).

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 24, 2014, 09:58:28 pm »
+4

In the kingdom generator, how do you select Young Witch and a bane? It seems to take other 10 card kingdoms just fine (using + or , to separate).

Just include Young Witch in the first 10 cards, and include an eligible bane as the 11th.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 24, 2014, 10:19:29 pm »
+1

Just include Young Witch in the first 10 cards, and include an eligible bane as the 11th.

Thanks! It wasn't working when I used "+" but did when I used "," to separate the cards.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:11 pm »

Thanks! It wasn't working when I used "+" but did when I used "," to separate the cards.

BTW, "+" and "," do different things.  See nutki's documentation.  Use commas if you're specifying exact cards.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:20 pm »
+1

BTW, "+" and "," do different things.  See nutki's documentation.  Use commas if you're specifying exact cards.

I read the doc. It wasn't clear to me. I was trying to put the bane next to Young Witch; I didn't understand the 11th card was supposed to be the bane.

I also haven't had a problem using + for specific cards. What's the difference?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 25, 2014, 12:27:53 am »
+9

I read the doc. It wasn't clear to me. I was trying to put the bane next to Young Witch; I didn't understand the 11th card was supposed to be the bane.

I also haven't had a problem using + for specific cards. What's the difference?

Yeah, it's not clear at all.  I was really just punting by sending you to those docs. :P

Okay, here goes.  I don't blame you if you tl;dr, but it really is this complicated.

The generator takes a list of ten expressions, turns each expression into a sets of cards, randomly chooses one card from each.  Valid expressions are single cards like "Ambassador" or categories like "Seaside" or "Cost 3".

But while a complete input requires ten comma-separated expressions, the interface will try to help you out if you enter fewer than ten.  It'll fill in all the blanks with the last expression in your list.  So if you enter
   Ambassador, Attack, Seaside
it'll convert that to
   Ambassador, Attack, Seaside, Seaside, Seaside, Seaside, Seaside, Seaside, Seaside, Seaside

It'll then randomly draw one card from each of these ten sets.  The first set only contains one card, so it always gets Ambassador for the first card.  The second set consists of all the Attack cards in Dominon, so the second card is a random Attack.  And the remaining seven cards are each random Seaside cards.

Where it gets tricky is that you have a ton of syntactic power when writing an expression to describe a set.  You can use "+" to mean "union", so
   Seaside + Alchemy = {all cards in either expansion}
You can use "*" as "intersection", so
   Seaside * Attack = {Ambassador, Cutpurse, Ghost Ship, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag}
And you can use "/" as "exclusion", so
   Alchemy / Action = {Vineyard, Philosopher's Stone}
And the words that you can combine like this include all card types, all expansions, all costs, and all individual cards.

Now here's the surprising part, and the reason why the difference between "+" and "," is confusing.  The most common use of the KG is entering an exact kingdom.  That should be done with commas:
   Moat, Village, Conspirator, Sea Hag, Torturer, Market, Minion, Adventurer, King's Court, Peddler
But surprisingly, you get the same result with plus-signs:
   Moat + Village + Conspirator + Sea Hag + Torturer + Market + Minion + Adventurer + King's Court + Peddler

Here's why: the KG looks at the entry, sees that there's no commas, and therefore it has only one expression.  Since it needs ten, it replicates your entry nine times.  So it's exactly as if you'd entered:
   Moat + Village + Conspirator + Sea Hag + Torturer + Market + Minion + Adventurer + King's Court + Peddler,
   Moat + Village + Conspirator + Sea Hag + Torturer + Market + Minion + Adventurer + King's Court + Peddler,
   Moat + Village + Conspirator + Sea Hag + Torturer + Market + Minion + Adventurer + King's Court + Peddler

The KG takes the first expression, generates the set (the union of those ten cards) and chooses one randomly.  Then it does the same thing nine more times, rejecting duplicates.  So it still ends up with the same ten-card kingdom, just as if you'd used commas.

But in all other cases, ignoring the difference between "+" and "," will generate errors or unexpected results.  Say you want three particular cards and the rest random.  You should enter:
   Moat, Village, Conspirator, All
But if you instead enter
   Moat + Village + Conspirator, All
Then the KG sees only two expressions and eight blanks, which it fills by replicating the "All".  So the first card gets drawn randomly from the set {Moat, Village, Conspirator} and the other nine are full random.  So you only end up with one of the cards you asked for.

Finally, note that entering either of these expressions without the "All" generates an error.  When the KG sees
   Moat, Village, Conspirator
it gets Moat, Village, and then tries to draw all eight of the other cards from the single-card set {Conspirator}.  Similarly, it'll take
   Moat + Village + Conspirator
and end up trying to draw all ten cards from the three-cards set {Moat, Village, Conspirator}.  Either way you get an error.

Oh, and then there's the multiplicative factors and the difference between 4 Seaside and 4 * Seaside, which I'm not even going to talk about.

IMO, the KG interface needs a major overhaul.  This set-generating nonsense is neat if you're a mathematician and if you have really precise needs like
   4 * Tournament + (Seaside * Cost 3) / Ambassador,
meaning that you want the card to be randomly "either Tournament or one of the $3 Seaside cards other than Ambassador, with Tournament being four times as likely to be selected as any other of the cards."  But for most users most of the time, it's just unnecessary complication.

Oh, and the fact that the 11th card becomes the bane is undocumented.  I didn't know that until Mic Q posted.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:33:14 am by ragingduckd »

bardo

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: g. lazalde
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:29 am »
+6

Hey, I finally registered just to be able to say thanks to the many fine folks who have developed the extension, the logs, the prettifier and leader board, and probably many other things I enjoy regularly. It seems like untold hours/months/years that you have put in. 'Tis much appreciated.

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 25, 2014, 06:25:19 am »
+2

I also want to say thanks. I already loved the extension. I think the new interface is fantastic! It's clear and easy to choose what you want. Adding the isotropish levels gives a new perspective on who your opponents are.

I appreciate all the work that has gone this.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 72  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.