Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 72  All

Author Topic: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion  (Read 598630 times)

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion
« Reply #500 on: September 06, 2013, 02:07:57 pm »
+3

The other bug is that yesterday I got assigned two games: automatch had assigned me to SM.SM and I was waiting for confirmation. It took a really long time so I went to another tab to check f.ds (I had Goko open only in one tab, fwiw), when I got back that "waiting for opponent to confirm" window had disappeared. I then did some random clicking on that automatch status thing and possibly updated my game by untick-ticking the automatch option, and eventually I got automatched to Mic Qsenoch.

So far so good...

However, just after the game loaded, I got a message that SM.SM had accepted my game, and before I could click "Abort" the window was gone. Nothing happened for 20 seconds or so, and then suddenly I got the "You quit" end of game screen from Goko, and right after that the game with SM.SM began to load. Halfway through that game I again got that "You quit" screen out of nowhere, and I was brought back to Outpost where I found the entire interface unresponsive (chat messages from others showed up, but I could not do anything myself until I had logged in from a new tab).

Yikes! Has this happened to anyone else?

I think I've managed to work out how this happened. It looks like you accepted the match with SM.SM, but it didn't start because he was afk. Then you got briefly disconnected from automatch, which made your offer dialog disappear. Somehow SM.SM's dialog didn't disappear, however, and when he accepted the game, automatch tried to start it. The rest was Goko's reaction to an impossible condition: starting a game while already in one.

So the bugs were:
1. Your getting disconnected from automatch. That really shouldn't happen unless your connection is terrible and/or you're logging in to multiple tabs.
2. SM.SM's offer dialog not going away when you got disconnected. It's possible for this to happen by messages crossing each other, but the timing in the log suggests that this isn't what happened.
3. Automatch let you join a table with SM.SM even though you were already in a game.

Bug #1 is probably a hangover from my shoddy way of dealing with logins from multiple tabs. It's going to take some real work for me to get this completely right. Allowing multiple logins is just such a horrible, horrible thing.

Bug #2 is quite mysterious. I'll look into it but it may be hard to find.

Bug #3 is because Automatch isn't doing any error-checking. It's trusting my server, Goko, and the rest of the extension to give it a sane environment to work in. So it's not responding well to insane requests like "go start a game even though you're already in one."

It would be much better to fix the causes of the insane requests (bugs #1 & #2) than to make automatch responsible for verifying that the rest of the system isn't talking madness to it. But realistically, insane requests are going to happen... the extension is amateur software under active development written in a horrible language and running on an utterly unreliable game server. And the stakes are relatively high, as making players forfeit games is a really, really bad thing.

So even though it's sort of the wrong solution, I'm going to start adding some error-checking to automatch anyway. Hopefully this bug and the next similar one will both go away.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 06, 2013, 02:08:50 pm »

It looks like the bug is that he can type in the "seeks" area. I just tried and can do it too.

Edit: Or I'm completely wrong. I just assumed that PpFtw were nonsense characters. I can type in the seeks area though. Not sure if that's a problem.

If you type in the seek area and then get confused by what you've typed, the Dominion might not be the right game for you. Maybe try Snakes & Ladders. ;)
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 06, 2013, 02:13:18 pm »
+10

Quote from: ragingduckd
It's trusting Goko
I see the problem.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 06, 2013, 03:31:03 pm »

It looks like the bug is that he can type in the "seeks" area. I just tried and can do it too.

Edit: Or I'm completely wrong. I just assumed that PpFtw were nonsense characters. I can type in the seeks area though. Not sure if that's a problem.

If you type in the seek area and then get confused by what you've typed, the Dominion might not be the right game for you. Maybe try Snakes & Ladders. ;)

??
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 06, 2013, 03:42:57 pm »

??

Just a joke. I don't think it's a serious problem. I'll fix it when I get around to making that interface actually informative and useful.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 09, 2013, 11:51:44 am »
+1

This happened to me yesterday:

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 09, 2013, 11:59:55 am »
+1

And right now I seem to be looking for 3 games:

Actually, 4 as we speak. I also found out what causes it: when I see my automatch status say it's Idle, I open the game settings and untick-tick the use automatch option and update my game, after which it starts searching again, but it doesn't seem to close the other requests. And why does it go Idle in the first place?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 09, 2013, 12:13:35 pm »
+2

And right now I seem to be looking for 3 games:

Actually, 4 as we speak. I also found out what causes it: when I see my automatch status say it's Idle, I open the game settings and untick-tick the use automatch option and update my game, after which it starts searching again, but it doesn't seem to close the other requests. And why does it go Idle in the first place?

There's something wrong with the code I introduced to stop the "too many open files" problem from crashing the server. It's closing connections it shouldn't and then it's handling the auto-reconnects wrong. See my comments on your previous bug report. Basically, weird things are going to keep happening with automatch until I sort it out.

Edit: On further examination, I think my server code is fine. Not great, but not what's been causing the problems either. The problem was the timeout detection and auto-connecting behavior of the client (extension). I didn't allow nearly enough margin for lag, so the client was incorrectly concluding that it had lagged out. Even worse, there was a subtle way for the client to accidentally initiate multiple connections (dozens, even). I believe I have that all fixed in v2.3.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:47:41 am by ragingduckd »

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 09, 2013, 03:46:20 pm »
+14

New release of Goko Dominion Salvager (v2.3 beta v2.3.1)
Edit: v2.3.1 fixes the VP counter and log viewer bugs posted below.

Permalink link to latest release

These changes should address the strange automatch behavior of the past week. I've also introduced some new features (in bold below) and fixed some small bugs.

Please report any new bugs or old bugs that weren't fixed after all. Many thanks to yed for doing a great deal of beta testing already. For bonus credit, enable "Extra Logging" and send the console log too (F12 in Chrome; Tools/Web Developer/Browser Console in Firefox).

VP Counter:
  • Add "#vpx" command to change #vpon/off setting after locking
  • On by default in bot games; does not lock in bot games
  • Eliminate excess chat messages
Autokick:
  • Support more complex rating ranges (e.g. 4000+, 5k-, 3.8k-5.2k, +/-500)
  • Support limiting table to named individual(s) (e.g. "For Bob, Joe" kicks anyone else)
  • Eliminate false-alarm notification when blacklisted players attempt to join
  • Prevent kicking bots
Automatch:
  • Add automatch blacklist; respect regular blacklist
  • Shut down automatch when leaving multiplayer lobby or starting a game (prevents the recent bugs)
  • Prevent unnecessary dis/reconnecting to server
  • Fix the bug where you can't turn off auto-automatch
  • Automatically close "Create Table" dialog when accepting an automatch request
  • Dialogs are now non-modal and draggable
  • Prevent automatch from overwriting saved table name
  • Assign 1000 rating to guests and players with no rated games
Misc:
  • Add option to display alert popups in addition to notification sounds
  • Add option to hide the log/VP counter
  • Add option for extended logging to JavaScript console (for bug reports)
  • Fix bug that made blacklist appear tripled
  • Fix bug where invalid kingdom generator entry disabled extension
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:19:48 pm by ragingduckd »

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 09, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »
+6

Clarifications for v2.3:

Updating:
Only Chrome will auto-update, and that won't happen for a couple days -- not until I publish the new version to their webstore. To get the spiffy new features and bugfixes now, you have to install v2.3 manually.

Overriding the VP counter lock with #vpx:
#vpx can change the VP counter even when it is locked, but only by mutual consent. This is meant for situations where neither player remembered to type #vpon before T5.

Here's an example:
  • The VP counter is initially OFF and LOCKED
  • AI says #vpon, but the counter is locked and won't turn on
  • AI says #vpx, asking rgduck if he'll agree to override the lock
  • rgduck agrees by saying #vpx, and the counter turns on

If rgduck had said nothing in response to AI's #vpx, the counter would have remained off.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: September 10, 2013, 02:02:32 am »

#vpx can change the VP counter even when it is locked, but only by mutual consent. This is meant for situations where neither player remembered to type #vpon before T5.

Nice, but is a new command really necessary? Couldn't it just be so that if all players do the same #vpon/#vpoff command that takes effect?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2013, 02:40:54 am »
+1

Nice, but is a new command really necessary? Couldn't it just be so that if all players do the same #vpon/#vpoff command that takes effect?

Possibly, but there are already way too many scenarios for the extension to handle when it receives a #vpon/#vpoff message. It would be easier if all the users had the same extension version, or had the extension at all, or knew how to use it, or could communicate by a channel other than chat.

As it is, it's challenging enough just to make the thing backwards compatible and have it inform users of its usage without flooding them with redundant chat messages. I figured it was better to introduce a new, unambiguous command than to overload the #vpon/#vpoff logic still further.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 10, 2013, 02:57:08 am »
+1

New release of Goko Dominion Salvager (v2.3)

Great! If I'm not mistaken the score is shown in a bigger font than before as well, which I appreciate!
There are some other things that have been lost in the point counter though. Here is a recent example where it didn't see any points for the Vineyards!

The players aren't reordered in score order anymore. (Intentional?) And in one (multiplayer) game the colors were mixed up so that the score list didn't use the same colors as in the game log.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 10, 2013, 03:21:01 am »
+3

There are some other things that have been lost in the point counter though. Here is a recent example where it didn't see any points for the Vineyards!

Gotcha. Yes, I seem to have broken the aggregation. Easy fix.

The players aren't reordered in score order anymore. (Intentional?) And in one (multiplayer) game the colors were mixed up so that the score list didn't use the same colors as in the game log.

Not intentional, will fix both. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:22:15 am by ragingduckd »

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 10, 2013, 05:37:28 am »
+1

I updated to the latest version and the random disconnects seem to be gone.

The automatch blacklist doesn't seem to be working though, I added johovall_goko to it after he disabled the point counter (I did not add him to the other blacklist, as I don't mind him joining my regular #vpon games), but I still got matched to him. And we both got removed from the automatch que.

As I was writing this, I got 2 matches with Loschikitos, he declined both but as a consequence I had to restart automatch. That is obviously not what I want :)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 10, 2013, 06:35:00 am »
+1

New release of Goko Dominion Salvager (v2.3 beta)

Autokick:
  • Support limiting table to named individual(s) (e.g. "For Bob, Joe" kicks anyone else)

Can you support autokick with "f.ds" in the game title to only let regular f.dsers into your table?  (Note: you might make it work by autokicking folks without the extension running...)
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 10, 2013, 06:58:16 am »
+1

Autokick:

Can you support autokick with "f.ds" in the game title to only let regular f.dsers into your table?  (Note: you might make it work by autokicking folks without the extension running...)

Not everyone here has extension. For example Wandering Winder.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 10, 2013, 07:27:39 am »

Autokick:

Not everyone here has extension. For example Wandering Winder.

Good point.  Well, "+f.ds" might work, if there was a way to scan usernames?  It's probably easier to have a friends list, I guess.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 10, 2013, 08:01:16 am »
+1

Good point.  Well, "+f.ds" might work, if there was a way to scan usernames?  It's probably easier to have a friends list, I guess.

That seems difficult but doable, especially if Theory cooperates by giving the list of Goko usernames. Autokicking people without the extension seems simple enough.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 10, 2013, 08:57:25 am »
+1

The automatch blacklist doesn't seem to be working though, I added johovall_goko to it after he disabled the point counter (I did not add him to the other blacklist, as I don't mind him joining my regular #vpon games), but I still got matched to him. And we both got removed from the automatch que.

Both lists work for me. In the log, I see no entries in your blacklist, including for the game where you got matched with johovall_goko.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but your options list does look like this, right?

And not like this?

As I was writing this, I got 2 matches with Loschikitos, he declined both but as a consequence I had to restart automatch. That is obviously not what I want :)

Please clarify. You want him to go on your automatch blacklist (or you on his) after the first decline? Or you want your automatch to keep looking after he turns your down?

Here's my pending plan for automatch blacklisting:
1. Add buttons/options to automatch_blacklist a player you decline or who has just declined you
2. Add a drop-down or text field for explaining why you're declining an automatch
3. Put your seek back into the seek pool after you get declined, BUT...
4. Take players who get declined several times in a row out of the pool until they confirm that they're not just AFK

Obviously anyone who gets declined wants to go straight back into the automatch seek pool, but I have to implement #2 before I can do that. Otherwise the person who declined you will just keep matching with you (this happens already to some degree, and it's annoying as hell). Even more important is #5, without which a single AFK seeker would basically shut down the whole service for everyone in his rating range.

That seems difficult but doable, especially if Theory cooperates by giving the list of Goko usernames. Autokicking people without the extension seems simple enough.

The Goko names people add to their accounts are public information, though I don't feel like writing the code to parse them out and I don't want to do this unless the admins okay it. I'll add this if theory or someone else provides me a list or code to do the parsing.

Autokicking non-extension users is easier, though maybe a bit insular and unfriendly. A whitelist (match only these people) is also an option. I'll think about it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 10, 2013, 10:25:58 am »
+2

An easier option would be to have a registered list in drunkensailor. If advertised here, is a way to almost get every Goko username on f.ds there with distributed effort (as a nice side-effect, you get each person to decide weither they want to be included in such set or not). A simple form to add your goko username to the predefined whitelist, lets say.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 10, 2013, 11:11:42 am »
+1

Both lists work for me. In the log, I see no entries in your blacklist, including for the game where you got matched with johovall_goko.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but your options list does look like this, right?

And not like this?

Ah, that was it :) Thanks!

Please clarify. You want him to go on your automatch blacklist (or you on his) after the first decline? Or you want your automatch to keep looking after he turns your down?

I want my automatch to keep looking for another game and not be matched against him again for a limited amount of time (say, 15 minutes).

4. Take players who get declined several times in a row out of the pool until they confirm that they're not just AFK

If he declines me, that's his decision, why should I get removed from the pool after one player declines me multiple times? I think people should be removed from the list only if they time-out, not if the other player decides to decline the offer.

Obviously anyone who gets declined wants to go straight back into the automatch seek pool, but I have to implement #2 before I can do that. Otherwise the person who declined you will just keep matching with you (this happens already to some degree, and it's annoying as hell). Even more important is #5, without which a single AFK seeker would basically shut down the whole service for everyone in his rating range.

Yeah, ok.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 10, 2013, 11:26:55 am »

I want my automatch to keep looking for another game and not be matched against him again for a limited amount of time (say, 15 minutes).

I don't get it. If he turned you down once and plans to turn you down again, why would he change his mind in 15 minutes?

If he declines me, that's his decision, why should I get removed from the pool after one player declines me multiple times? I think people should be removed from the list only if they time-out, not if the other player decides to decline the offer.

Good call. Implementing a timeout would be better. Getting declined doesn't imply that you're AFK.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 10, 2013, 11:33:14 am »

I don't get it. If he turned you down once and plans to turn you down again, why would he change his mind in 15 minutes?

If it's something personal he of course wouldn't, but when I decline an offer it's usually because I either have to leave or just found another game while still lingering in automatch, which shouldn't cause me to blacklist the player or him to blacklist me.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 10, 2013, 03:43:59 pm »
+1

So I updated on version 2.3

Here, I played a game with Vineyard. On the viewer it seems all as it should be, but the ingame-log showed Vineyard yellow-green (like Harem) and the point counter didn't count vineyard points (I had quite more than 3 actions). Don't know what is the problem, but it was certainly right before the update 2.3

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 72  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.