Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: End of game rules  (Read 4771 times)

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
End of game rules
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:52:19 pm »
+16

I have what might be a newbie question but I need to explain the turn first that led up to it, I was playing a 2-player game with my brother.

First I played a Throne Room, and a Cellar.  Then I took my two cellar actions -- the first one was an Embargo.  I chose the money option for the Embargo and took my two coppers into my hand, and then the other action was a Woodcutter.  (I was going to play my Thief but I couldn't since my brother's deck was empty.  Anyway I'm sure he had a secret chamber to block the attack.)  I used the Woodcutter buy to get a curse (which I put in my brother's discard pile) and then took a silver for the money part.  Back to the TR'd cellar, I discarded 3 cards and picked up 6.  Then for my buy phase I had 10 money in my hand so I discarded the treasures, bought a province, and remembered that I would have 2 extra money next turn.

When I discarded the rest of the cards I picked up my 5 card hand for next round.  One was a mining village which I was immediately able to trash for a silver, but then I had to discard one card to get down to 5.

Now it was my brother's turn.  He bought the last province and I wondered, does he get to finish his turn or does the game end immediately?

I should have also had trashing 2 treasure maps from hand without using an action...

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: End of game rules
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 05:58:19 pm »

nooooo all wronggggg..... :(

Even though I'm sure it's a joke that is one scary piece of text.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 05:59:27 pm »

Yeah, until I saw the OP's number of posts, I was terrified and preparing myself for a really long explanation of what exactly was done wrong.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:00:52 pm »

I was worried myself until I saw the post counts and how many things were wrong with it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:45:37 pm »
+3

The best part is that the question is irrelevant to the whole explanation.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 06:49:48 pm »
+7

I have what might be a newbie question but I need to explain the turn first that led up to it, I was playing a 2-player game with my brother.

First I played a Throne Room, and a Cellar.  Then I took my two cellar actions -- the first one was an Embargo.  I chose the money option for the Embargo and took my two coppers into my hand, and then the other action was a Woodcutter.  (I was going to play my Thief but I couldn't since my brother's deck was empty.  Anyway I'm sure he had a secret chamber to block the attack.)  I used the Woodcutter buy to get a curse (which I put in my brother's discard pile) and then took a silver for the money part.  Back to the TR'd cellar, I discarded 3 cards and picked up 6.  Then for my buy phase I had 10 money in my hand so I discarded the treasures, bought a province, and remembered that I would have 2 extra money next turn.

When I discarded the rest of the cards I picked up my 5 card hand for next round.  One was a mining village which I was immediately able to trash for a silver, but then I had to discard one card to get down to 5.

Now it was my brother's turn.  He bought the last province and I wondered, does he get to finish his turn or does the game end immediately?

I should have also had trashing 2 treasure maps from hand without using an action...

Depends on the kingdom.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:01:51 pm »

Well done. I had quite a big laugh.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:17:02 pm »
+2

Your brother can finish his turn.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:26:34 pm »
+2

nooooo all wronggggg..... :(

Even though I'm sure it's a joke that is one scary piece of text.

The scariest thing is that all of those are genuine rules mistakes (or at least questions) I've seen from BGG.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 10:54:09 pm »
+1

Anyway I'm sure he had a secret chamber to block the attack.

I was playing in an IRL tourney last weekend where each table played the same board in a round. In the last round, one table was taking a long time to finish, and I got bored looking around the store so I decided to watch. One player played a Knight, and one of the other players discarded a Beggar and gained his Silvers appropriately, and then did not carry out the Knight attack. I pointed out that he was still supposed to reveal the top 2 cards and trash one, but he insisted that Beggar blocked the attack...I decided not to press the issue and just did a huge mental face palm.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 12:29:15 am »

Let him finish his turn.
And after that both of you should re-read the rules...
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 05:38:00 pm »
+3

Thanks.  I read on BGG that instead of just putting a curse directly into the opponent's discard pile, you have to wait until it comes to your hand and then you can use an action to give it to the opponent.  That seems a little more balanced.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 06:13:37 pm »
+1

Let him finish his turn.
And after that both of you should re-read the rules...

Joke ---->

Your head
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 08:14:21 pm »

Thanks.  I read on BGG that instead of just putting a curse directly into the opponent's discard pile, you have to wait until it comes to your hand and then you can use an action to give it to the opponent.  That seems a little more balanced.
No. You still can't 'play' a curse. The only way to do so is to play witch etc. Otherwise you will gain the curse yourself.
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 08:40:04 pm »
+1

No. You still can't 'play' a curse. The only way to do so is to play witch etc. Otherwise you will gain the curse yourself.

/facepalm
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 10:25:31 pm »
+1

/facepalm

Is it stupidity? Or jokeception?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.