Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Nearly identical decks - how did I trounce him?  (Read 1289 times)

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
Nearly identical decks - how did I trounce him?
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:24:46 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201110/16/game-20111016-101443-816c921a.html

#1 Glooble: 45 points (6 Provinces, 2 Duchies, and 3 Estates); 20 turns
         opening: Festival / Courtyard
         [32 cards] 5 Festivals, 3 King's Courts, 3 Libraries, 1 Courtyard, 1 Moat, 7 Coppers, 1 Silver, 3 Estates, 2 Duchies, 6 Provinces

#2 Wagz: 28 points (2 Provinces, 4 Duchies, and 4 Estates); 19 turns
      opening: Mining Village / Silver
      [33 cards] 5 Festivals, 4 King's Courts, 3 Libraries, 2 Moats, 1 Walled Village, 7 Coppers, 1 Silver, 4 Estates, 4 Duchies, 2 Provinces

Obvious strategy, and we both went for it. We had the same number of all the key engine cards, and bought them in roughly the same order. The only real difference is he picked up moats for extra card drawing at the end, while
I went for the Courtyard, and I started going green a little earlier.

How did this end up with a 6/ 2 Province split? Was it luck? Was it the 5/2 vs. 3/4 opening? Or did those extra two turns he spent engine-building just kill his chances?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
Re: Nearly identical decks - how did I trounce him?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:08:35 pm »

1st player in a KC game. Lopsided wins under those conditions are the rule rather than the exception.

KC is in my top 3 or so veto priorities in 2nd seat. You have to get an entire turn ahead to win from 2nd seat with competing KC engines, and it often just can't be done without stupendous luck.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 03:18:57 pm »

You were ahead by a courtyard after turn 4 and were always ahead for the rest of the game. You also got a tangible advantage by taking mining villages instead of walled villages and courtyards instead of moats.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:31:43 am »

And of course it is no "real" 6/2 in the sense that he could also have lost 5/3 on his turn 19.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.