Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: gman314 rating system :D  (Read 1915 times)

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
gman314 rating system :D
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:09:48 pm »
+1

Dissatisfaction with the Goko ratings, as well as (and quite frankly, more importantly than) my own personal interest in artificially putting myself at the top of anything I feel like artificially putting myself at the top of has led to me developing my own system, which I am here calling the gman314 system. It works for games with any number of players, and I feel no obligation to keep separate ratings anyway, as under this rating system the game is pretty much the same with any number of players!

I'm not going to divulge all the particular formulae, at least yet. But if at some point such formulae exist, I'll totally divulge them. I may want to patent the system, but really, who would patent a system based on assigning random numbers to people. Having said that, I'm doing a ton of stuff, that's super groundbreaking from the conceptual level: I'm rating players on how closely their strategy matches the strategy that I would use. So I will explain the basic tenets of the system here. I will definitely not show you how to figure out your expected win% in any matchup, since my system doesn't tell you anything at all about that.

Also, feel free to ask me whatever questions about thing you don't understand (i.e. Why did my this number do this after that happened? Or why is this a bigger difference than that?)

There are three numbers you're going to see that are associated with each player.
ID - this is an integer that lets me identify you in the system. It has no statistical significance, and doesn't even really help at all. It just lets me continue parodying WW's system and makes this system look more scientific than it really is.

Rating- this is the big important number to look at. After every game, I will re-evaluate your rating. If you followed my approach for the board, your rating will go up; if you didn't it will go down. How MUCH it moves is dependent on a few different things. One is how close to me you've performed in the past (which is based on your rating). The more like me you typically play, the fewer points you can gain, and the more you can lose, and vice versa. Exactly how much your rating actually moves is dependent on the my whim. If I'm feeling in an enginey mood, engines will make your rating go up more than normal, and BM will make your rating go up less than normal. (Assuming, in either case, that your approach was similar to mine).

Uncertainty - this is a completely random and useless number. It tells us absolutely nothing. *It is not a standard deviation* It changes a lot. First, every time I change your rating, I give you a new random and likely irrational number as an uncertainty. Second, like your rating, it depends on my whim. Since each game gives us more information, playing a game will *generally* make the uncertainty decrease. However, depending on the kind of mood I'm in, it may do whatever the heck I want it to do. Also, it's DEFFINITELY possible for you to get arbitrarily large uncertainties this way.

Now some notes on the actual numbers you're going to see. Your rating for each game will be somewhere between 0 and 100, depending on what arbitrary percentage I assign to you based on how well your strategy matches mine. Then, your overall rating will be an average of your ratings for every rated game, with weightings favoring games which I feel are particularly awesome. Obviously, my rating will be 100% with an uncertainty of 0% because clearly I will do exactly what I would do in any given game.

Win% = I_have_no_clue, where _ is basically just a space, but this way it's a single variable. Of course, this "formula" was only included to further parody the gman314 rating system.

As you can see, only my whim has any significance.

Please note that right now, there is no systemic first player advantage. When playing any given game, I could end up with either player, so clearly I could adopt any strategy I choose from any seat.

I should note that the system has never had a practical test - this will be the first. But really, it's not going to change based on this.

Anyway, here's what I would like for you guys to do:
Sign up for the system. I will give you an ID. Every day (I will try to do this in the mornings), I will update the rating list with the games from the previous day. What that means I need from you guys is the results. In order for this to work in a way that doesn't make me pull my remaining hair out of my head, I am going to need it formatted particularly:
ID1 ID2 Log

Where ID1 and ID2 are the IDs of the players in whatever order you feel like putting them in. Log is a link to the game log so that I can see your approaches and the board.

Please note the spaces between the 3 quantities here. They are absolutely non-essential. You can totally lack these spaces, and you can definitely have other spaces, EXCEPT that that might mix up your IDs for me.

The easiest way I think to do this will be to put the results in a Google Doc Spreadsheet. I'll set one of these up, and when you sign up, I can PM you the link to it.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE THAT THE ORDERING OF GAMES DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL

I may have some busy days where I can't input the ratings right away, but it doesn't really matter, because this rating doesn't tell you anything.

Also, you can probably expect about a day's worth of lag between signing up and being 'active', i.e. having your name appear in the list and me getting the google doc stuff to you.

This rating system is a complete joke and satire of the WW system. It means absolutely nothing.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Re: gman314 rating system :D
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:38:49 pm »
+1

Hi gman!

Can you walk us through your thought process during the making of this thread?

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:41:47 pm »

Hi gman!

Can you walk us through your thought process during the making of this thread?

Well, step 1 was to copy and paste WW's entire post explaining his system. Then, I went through all the content of that post and changed things to talk about rating people based on how closely they think to me, rather than talking about how to rate people on an intelligent system.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:45:11 pm »
+1

Do you think you will be able to get Goko to incorporate your rating system?  I will need to download your logs and start studying correct behavior.
Also, could you please comment on how you intend to deal with people trying to cheat your system?
Thank you.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 01:52:30 pm »

Do you think you will be able to get Goko to incorporate your rating system?  I will need to download your logs and start studying correct behavior.
Also, could you please comment on how you intend to deal with people trying to cheat your system?
Thank you.

Well, I think that Goko will be able to recognize that this represents a significant improvement over whatever the heck it is that they're currently doing and will thus implement this system.

In order to attempt to cheat my system, people would have to imitate me quite well and consistently. This would basically be indistinguishable from someone who was legitimately doing well on my system. So, I have no intention of doing anything to deal with cheaters yet. If it becomes a noticeable issue, I will just start punishing high ratings at my whim.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:53:58 pm »
+4

Watno's rating system: My rating is 1, everyone elses is 0. I don't need negatives or large ranges to express im the best.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:14:43 pm »
+2

I give you a new random and likely irrational number

I feel like this is going to be hard to implement
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.