Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: GOKODOM I: Round 5 Results and Discussion  (Read 29185 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
GOKODOM I: Round 5 Results and Discussion
« on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:34 am »
+4

Round 5 of GokoDom I is here.

How to Play Your Match

1. Go to the spreadsheet and find your name.  Your opponent for this round is right next to your name.  PM that person and work out an agreeable time to play, and choose a room to meet in--I suggest something unlikely to be crowded. Match Results are due no later than Monday 20 May 2013 at 1200 GMT -- 0800 EDT -- 0500 PDT.

2. The player with the most sets will host each game using random cards in Unrated mode.  That player should also take responsibility for saving game logs.

3. The first player for the first game will be decided randomly by Goko.

4. The player who lost the previous game will be the first player for the next game.  This may require you to resign/restart a game.  In Unrated mode, it doesn't matter who resigns.

5. If a game was tied, the player who was the second player in the tie game will be the first player in the next game.

6. Play a minimum of three games, and a maximum of six games, based on the next section.  If any game was a tie, the sixth game will be played.

How to Score Your Match

1. The following situations automatically settle the match:

A. Player A has three wins after 3 or 4 games.  Player A wins.
B. After six games, neither player has won three games.  The match is a draw.

2. If, after 5 games, the match is 3-2, then:

A. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the second player, the match is over, and that player wins.
B. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the first player, play a sixth game, with the leader as the second player.  If the leader wins or ties that game, he wins the match; otherwise the match ends in a draw.

How to Post Your Match

In this thread, make a post that includes links to your game logs, the final score, and the winner and loser of the match.

You must post your results by the deadline listed above.

What If We Can't Figure Out a Time?

There are two situations here:

If you have sent a PM to your opponent, but they have not responded to two separate PMs, send me a PM.  If they do not respond, you will be awarded a win by default.
If both players are in contact but are unable to find a mutually agreeable time, both players should send me PMs; both players will receive a draw by default.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: GOKODOM I: Round 5 Results and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:21:47 am »

Have you explained somewhere what all the different columns mean?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 11:32:08 am »
+4

Have you explained somewhere what all the different columns mean?

I have, but I can do so quickly again.

The "Opp" column should be self-explanatory; it records the opponent's ID each round.
"Score" is your score for that round: 2, 1, or 0.
"Total" is your total score for all rounds up to that one.  Maximum is 10 after five rounds.
"SRd" is your partial Solkoff score for that round: the total score of your opponent at the end of that round.
"Solk" is the total Solkoff score: the sum of your opponents' scores during the tournament.  It is the first tie-breaker.
"Cumul" is your cumulative score: your score after round 1, added to your score after round 2, etc.  It is the second tie-breaker.

Edit: Oh, and "Order" is the ordering parameter after including tie-breakers:  Score*10000 + Solkoff*100 + Cumulative
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:33:33 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:59:28 am »

Is this the last Swiss round or is there going to be one more? I reviewed other posts in this forum but could not find a definitive answer, and the FAQ says "five or six".

On another note, I've seen several people changed the rules a little bit for their match. I think this is ok, but it would be nice to record somewhere (like the OP, or the FAQ or the Rules and Regulations post) that if players agree, they may change other things about the match, like total number of games or starting player regulation. In particular, for next tournaments, I think it would be important to decide about ties.

There is a bunch of people that may get into the knockout phase with a win but not with a tie, and they are most likely paired against each other, so they would rather have a system that has really low probability of producing a tie instead of the default one (like, play more matches, not count ties, flip coins as tie-breaker or have a sudden-death match with a random player starting, etc). I'm not suggesting this should be done, and I'm not doing it myself (although, I think it is really unlikely that I get into the knockout even if I win, but I'm no expert on understanding the tie breakers and did not take the time to do it) but it should be addressed for next time. I think if the default system has really low probability of producing ties (or even, forbids ties) this can be workarounded and it would be best for the tournament overall (if there are some ties, but a really low number of them, the odd-point buckets will have really few people in them and it will be hard to make the pairings, especially with the additional "all sets" considerations that are needed).

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 02:13:04 pm »

/tag
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 03:06:58 pm »
+1

I think this is ok, but it would be nice to record somewhere (like the OP, or the FAQ or the Rules and Regulations post) that if players agree, they may change other things about the match, like total number of games or starting player regulation.

Changing the number of games is definitely not ok. As an example: both my opponent and I will make it to the knock-out with a win, but probably not in case of a tie, so it's in both our interest to increase the number of games, thereby making a tie less likely. However, by doing so we harm the person that would have made it to the knock-out in case we tied.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:29:55 pm »

FWIW, the only change I've played with in one match was deciding the first player randomly in each game, so we could play Pro. I think the hosts also made some ruling as to how to overcome the Colony problem, but I said I was fine in any case and trusted them. And I agree with SheCantSayNo, of course, I just think something should be decided for this time, and also, pointing out that for the next tournament we should polish the rules on that regard. I would go with a "no ties" rule for next tournament, seems easier.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 03:48:24 pm »
+1

Yes, this is the last round: the FAQ says "five or six" because the FAQ is intended to be around for a while.

In general, the only thing players are allowed to change is Pro vs. Casual--and even that stipulation is probably going to get removed next season, as we're likely to move to a different match structure.  In Isodom, the only changes allowed were the use of Veto mode and the VP tracker.

That said, the entire point of a Swiss system is that it can handle ties better than other systems.  In fact, next season we're going to be more likely to see ties more often.  This isn't a bad thing; ties are an inherent part of any tournament.  Switching to a no-tie round in the final round or whatever goes against the spirit of the Swiss system, and also effects some people more than others--in particular, those who had ties in earlier rounds.  Consider that if everyone who currently has 6 points ties (extremely unlikely, but we're working on hypotheticals here), then players who currently have 5 points and win their match suddenly have a shot at the top seat.

The reason we won't use a sudden-death system is that pesky first-player advantage again.  I'm likely to switch to a mandatory even-game match for next season.  In that system, it's possible that a tie-breaker could literally take forever.  That's not terrible in a knockout round, but isn't great in a Swiss round.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:07:56 pm »

Yay base!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 06:48:24 pm »
+2

soulnet wins 3-0-1 against florrat

soulnet 43 - 30 florrat
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130514/log.510876c7e4b0ac7a7a0bb212.1368566138341.txt
Storeroom, Tunnel, Familiar, Navigator, Scout, Hagglader, Rogue, Saboteur, Witch, Bank, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion

Double Witch for both, with two 5/2 openings, but then I pick up Storeroom while he goes with straight money, and I get Tunnels early. Even when they never collide, the Storerrom proves worthy in my high variance deck, like a better double-Cellar, and I can keep up with the Provinces despite the early greening to mantain the advantage to the end. I also got better luck, as he kept drawing 7 and I have 6s and the 8 a lot.

florrat 34 - 43 soulnet
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130514/log.510876c7e4b0ac7a7a0bb212.1368566933970.txt
Chapel, Develop, Caravan, Gardens, Highway, Hunting Party, Mint, Rabble, Torturer, Harem, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse

My 5/2 was better here, with HP accelerating the Chapeling and providing better support for the Duchy dancing. Also, I only need one Gold with the HP, so I can start early on the Harems and get an advantage that proves crucial when the Provinces run low. All in all, I got a couple of crappy hands and HPs missing the reshuffle just to get to the Duchy, but then break PPR in just the right time (mostly due to luck) and steal the win (I think now I should just kept Duchy dancing, because my deck seemed more resilient than his).

florrat 29 - 29 soulnet
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130514/log.510876c7e4b0ac7a7a0bb212.1368567757170.txt
Courtyard, Hermit, Swindler, Remake, Embassy, Pillage, Saboteur, Stables, Harem, Possession, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion

Pretty straightforward BM game with support. We both open Remake, but he supports it with Swindler and Stables and I go the Courtyard route, because, well, BM. We more or less go straight into the tie, splitting the Provinces. In retrospect, Courtyard was better overall, but I get stuck on my $5s a lot, and Stables end up being good for him and so so for me. Not really sure if this could have been done any better for neither.

soulnet 11 - 9 florrat
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130514/log.510876c7e4b0ac7a7a0bb212.1368568994238.txt
Haven, Moat*, Woodcutter, Coppersmith, Marauder, Moneylender, Young Witch, Bazaar, Minion, Goons, Harem, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Ruins

Attack heavy game, so we both open YW and invest on Moats, complementing with Minions and later Goons. I get a Marauder that was a clear mistake, but otherwise, get more 6s and therefore more Goons and accumulate VP chips and accelerate the inevitable 3-piling just in time before he can overcome my VP advantage with VP cards.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:41:07 pm by soulnet »

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 09:27:16 pm »
+3

D Bo defeats gman314 3-1

gman314 27-24
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130514/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368579035642.txt
I wanted to go with Fishing Village and draw (Embassy/Smithy) but kind of trashed too with Count and just ended up being caught in the middle. Gman wisely picks up a Salvager and accelerates the end game a bit with a nice province trash into 3 duchies on one turn.

D Bo 39-22
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130514/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368579411995.txt
I got for Death Cart/Vault/BM and get very lucky with my Death Cart lining up with actions on several turns. Gman starts working up an engine but it just takes a bit too long to get off the ground and I'm able to hold on before he can make it up.

D Bo 37-37 (on turns)
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130514/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368580005690.txt
Interesting mirror match essentially, with us splitting the Nobles, going with a single Masquerade, and picking up Festivals and Crossroads for help. I thought gman's Storeroom was actually a decent buy and I should've picked one up myself. I got very lucky being second player when gman bought out the last province - I actually thought he took the lead there but I clearly can't count.

D Bo 42-33
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130514/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368580606632.txt
This board didn't seem like much to me so I just went with the simple Alchemist stack. In my last round I got burnt by the extra Bishop points, so I decided to invest in one this time. Got very lucky on my second to last turn because I forgot to play my Counterfeit before treasure...but it still worked out.

Thanks for the games gman! It's been a pleasure to play all of my opponents throughout this tourney. Would've loved to have played better but such is life. At least it's always fun to play Dominion! Good luck to those that make the finals.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 04:17:01 pm »
+3

Green Opal vs. kn1tter - 2:3 (plus one draw)

Video:
Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1368638247419.txt
Some nice little engine board around Smithy, Bandit Camp, Market, Ironmonger, and Urchin/Mercenary. It's quite an interesting question how to open here. Green Opal has a better start and got his Mercenary first, but at some point I catch up and have the better deck in the end. On my last turn I needed to take the chance to trash a Province with my Mercenary, but I had quite a good feeling about my deck quality, and it turned out well.

Video:
Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1368638701958.txt
Rebuild/Tunnel. I probably didn't play perfectly (I seldom do with Rebuild), but I also have horrible luck and cannot activate Tunnel even once with my Rebuild. Very clear win for Green Opal.

Video:
Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1368639483876.txt
Jack. I decide to play basically pure Jack with some mild Scheme support, Green Opal tries to go for Grand Markets (with Moneylender), which I don't really believe in here. After several 7$ hands I'm somewhat with my back against the wall, especially because his Fairgrounds (probably the only reason to make Grand Markets viable) are really helping him. In the end it's very close, I have to break PPR, and with a lucky last 8$ hand I pull out the win.

Video:
Log: http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20130515/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1368639902406.txt
What stands out here is Moneylender/Venture. We basically go for that both, but he also tries to do some Alchemist thing, which I don't like here at all. Probably I need to buy Venture over Gold earlier, and my Venture on turn 12 should have been a Duchy already, but my major mistake was the Trader I got at some point. That's probably what cost me the game, and I can only take the tie.

Video:
Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1368640992657.txt
This one's interesting, because on first glance there's not a lot going on. I do see the University/Graverobber thing, but I don't really believe it would be possible to get it going (I also babble something about pulling Graverobbers out of the trash myself in case he goes for this strategy, but that of course never happened). So he spams Universites and Graverobbers, I go for some Alchemist thing. In the end it's very close, but he can pull it off and win. Nicely done.

Video:
Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1368642357367.txt
The final game was also very interesting (and complicated) and extremely close. The engine based on University is obvious. There is Torturer, but also tons of counters to it. In the end we both play basically the same thing, which is something around Native Villages, Universitey, Watchtowers, Torturers and Monuments. On my final turn I take quite a risk in trying to 3-pile and buy enough VP to win, but I was rather confident that my Upgrades would draw something useful. Luckily for me it worked out and I can end it with a win.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:28:22 am by kn1tt3r »

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 04:38:35 pm »
+3

RTT wins against Emeric 3-1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1368647256217.txt RTT wins 22-19

pretty boring IGG board. I go with smithy and he starts with Horse trader. we split Curses 6-4 in my favor and my smithy helps me to get 2 Provinces instead of his 1. 3rd pile to empty where duchys. He had a unlucky 7$ in his last round and had to go for the second last duchy. I could buy the last for the win

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1368647668673.txt RTT wins 39-27
BM Board where we both go for bureaocrat. i add a proccesions and a council room to that and get 5 provinces with a few good timed and lucky 8$ hands in the end of the game.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1368648282397.txt Emeric wins 78-66
colony board with grand market and treasury. I got more platinums therefor he buys more treasurys and GM. we both add a Smithy and a few Hamlets. Seems Like GM are stronger than Platinums =) He took away a solid win.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1368648841200.txt RTT wins 38 - 17
That was the most interesting board. I open with silver and he buys Noble Brigand and hits my silver imidiatly. I cancel my plan to open caravan and hope for a lucky NB myself and yep I get my Silver back. then we both go for Border Vilages and Laboratorys and Expand with an Inn to reshuffle and get more actions. he bought a few Festivals while I empty the Laboratory and split them 7-3. with the help of the draw i connect more targets for the expand and got even a tripple Province turn in which i trash my own Province while ahead.

ThanKs for the Games Emeric it was fun even besides the mostly uninteresting boards.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:11:08 pm by RTT »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:44 pm »
+1

hsiale 3-0 werothegreat

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1368656018674.txt
Going first and opening 5/2 on a Minion board was huge help, I ended up winning Minion split 7-3. Additionally I used Vagrants to fight greening, Loan to get rid of most treasure and Market Square for +buy - used it only once IIRC, but it was to buy last two Minions.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1368656559930.txt
His opening of double Hermit made me double check if there's Market Square on the board. He got two Madmen turn 4 and used them to get two Provinces turn 5 and 6, while I was trying to build a Rabble engine which ended up more as Rabble BM. We both stalled late game and started buying any green we could afford with me leading Province split 4-3, finally he used one more Madman to get the last Province but was 8 points behind.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1368657189851.txt
I went Squire/Tournament while he tried Squire/Bridge into Tournaments. I managed to be faster to first Province and take Followers, from then things became easy for me, I got enough lead so I could buy out last Squire, Tournament and a few Caravans to end the game.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »
+1

andwilk 3-0 liopoil

44-14: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1368659493027.txt
My Wharf/FV/Fool's Gold engine was way too fast compared to anything else on the board.  My opponent tried something with Scrying Pool that couldn't keep up.

20-36: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1368660498591.txt
Some heavy attacks here: Familiar, Marauder, and Amabassador.  I open Lighthouse/Ambassador vs. Silver/Potion and I really never get affected by the attacks.  After thinning my deck, a small army of Alchemists allow me to draw my deck or close to it for a Province each turn from turn 16-21.

38-55: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1368661156483.txt
Basically BM+ with Jack and Courtyard.  He gets unlucky with his first Jack and doesn't draw an Estate to trash and that probably is the difference here.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:30:39 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 09:57:19 pm »
+2

Polk5440 over AdamH 3-2

Video Playlist link:

Game 1: AdamH 44, Polk5440 23
Video link:
Game Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368664030572.txt
Kingdom Cards: Vineyard, Sage, Alchemist, Ironworks, Nomad Camp, Festival, Graverobber, Mint, Border Village, Grand Market

In my opinion, the most interesting kingdom of the match.

Vineyards and tons of support here. The only draw is Alchemist and the only trashing (besides Graverobber) is Mint, so both of them play a crucial role despite the fact that they don't really play well together.

Some interesting tactical choices for me -- I buy Alchemist over Grand Market until all the Alchemists are gone, and I aim to use Mint for thinning (I end up buying two of them). This plus a second potion for me (along with an unfortunate $2P turn for him) lead to a 7-3 Alchemist split and my deck being thinner, and the game is pretty much over from there even though he still manages to pick up 4 Vineyards.

Game 2: Polk5440 65, AdamH 57
Video link:
Game Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368665424236.txt
Kingdom Cards: Shelters, Colony, Vineyard, Apothecary, Develop, Armory, Contraband, Counting House, Mountebank, Venture, Goons, Grand Market -- with Platinum/Colony and Shelters

I try (relatively unsuccessfully) to get some Apothecaries. We each get two Mountebanks, and I get some Goons, too. On five he opts for Ventures, which I think in the end is what cost him with all those Coppers flying around, even though he is somehow able to get 6 -- six!! -- Platinums. I opt for a Contraband once I have enough terminal actions. Late I also pick up two Counting Houses. Why two? I can always count on the first one being drawn on a reshuffle. My last turn is Counting House, Contraband (Colonies blocked), then two Provinces for the win. That's right. Counting House-Contraband is a thing now.

I didn't particularly like the Apothecaries (because a Potion opening is bad for getting to Mountebanks), but I don't think they ended up being that bad for you -- your $1P turns were bad for you (shoulda had a Silver?). I also didn't like your Contraband since this was a money-based game, but I hadn't seen the absolute powerhouse combo that is Counting House/Contraband :P

I got Ventures on $5 because I wanted Silver and Venture is Strictly Better™. With more of a focus on money I'm not surprised I was able to get a better economy. With $11 in hand I mistakenly observed PCR, even though I feel like I was better set up for a long game; then with $8 I (correctly, I think) observed PPR.

I could whine about the fact that some of my six Platinums really should have been Colonies and that your Colony turns really shouldn't have happened (I think two of them were pretty lucky), but you make your own shuffle luck.

Game 3: AdamH 35, Polk5440 49
Video link:
Game Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368666395869.txt
Kingdom Cards: Smugglers, Swindler, Urchin, Philosopher's Stone, Coppersmith, Island, Nomad Camp, Jester, Harem, Hoard

I don't want to count the number of times I hit $7 here, and I don't want to think about Hoards missing reshuffles. But he plays well, takes a lead, and doesn't give me a window to get back in.

Game 4: AdamH 31, Polk5440 28
Video link:
Game Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368668184410.txt
Kingdom Cards: Courtyard, Workshop, Ironmonger, Procession, Scout, Council Room, Explorer, Haggler, Nobles, King's Court -- with Shelters

This game was intense; an emotional roller coaster for me, since this was a must-win game and I was hopelessly behind for all but the last ten seconds.

I actually really dislike games like this (and I think this is the reason people dislike King's Court, even though I don't). KC and tons of fireworks, but no trashing, so good luck connecting with your targets. Usually the first person to King something good rockets ahead and doesn't look back while their opponent flounders around; building what is quite possibly a good deck, but one that can never connect KC with anything; and cries into his pillow.

Interesting that Council Room is the only legit +Buy on the board, even though there are tons of gainers. If you manage to kick off, you have to guess how many buys you want and make sure you play exactly that many CRs, because every extra card you give your opponent makes it that much more likely for them to kick off themselves.

He opens Procession, which I don't like, but I don't like opening double Swindler so yeah. I focus on getting some money because you need that to get King's Courts (and you need money in your deck to eventually do stuff) and he focuses on piling Ironmongers. I actually think this was crucial to his early lead -- he builds action density and gets a ton of Courtyards to go with them and can set up sort of a mini-draw engine.

I get to KC first, but he collides Procession and Nobles to get one of his own and he connects his KC first, beginning the snowball. I think the Procession+Nobles collision might have been lucky but he set up his deck well here. He jumps out to a HUGE lead getting 4 Provinces and a million King's Courts, while I sit and spin and manage to grab one Province and two (I think) KCs.

Then it happens...

Late, I have a big turn and decide to leave 3 provinces in the supply instead of 4. The odds are with me, I think, but it is not to be. Thinking about this later, if I had not Processed my first Haggler earlier in the game, piles might have been low enough for me to empty piles on my last turn.

He's got a 4-1 lead on Provinces, plus two Nobles, while I have an Estate I bought just so I could trash my Hovel. I kick off and draw almost all of my deck, and after a KC+Procession-> CR into Nobles, Workshop, Haggler into Nobles, I'm left with $24 in my hand, 4 buys, and one action left. I agonize for about 5 minutes trying to think of a way I can end it with a win, and could only tie on points and lose on turns; but for some reason I thought I only Procession-ed into one extra Nobles. After resigning myself to not being able to win this turn, I decide the best move is to play a Courtyard, seed my next hand, buy as much green as I can and hang on to the small thread of hope I have left.

I've never been so happy to draw two dead Nobles.

...due to good counting, Adam extends the match.

I lol-ed.

Game 5: Polk5440 33, AdamH 22
Video link:
Game Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368669295903.txt
Kingdom Cards: Fool's Gold, Pawn, Scheme, Armory, Baron, Monument, Worker's Village, Jester, Border Village, Expand

Anticlimactic.

So it all comes down to Baron+FG, eh? Ugh. Lots of Baron without Estate, and lots of $7 hands for me might seem like bad luck, but his BV+Monument shenanigans had to have been better than my focus on money endgame. Nice win.

Thanks for the games, Polk. It's nice to play a high-stakes match against a high-level opponent, it's the reason why I play in these tournaments.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:52:02 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 11:42:08 pm »
+2

What a close match! Thanks for the games, Adam. I am looking forward to watching the videos and hearing your side of things.

Here's a few of my thoughts on the games:

Game 1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368664030572.txt

Vineyard, Sage, Alchemist, Ironworks, Nomad Camp, Festival, Graverobber, Mint, Border Village, Grand Market

I am grouchy this game and play the perfect antagonist (for a while, anyway) in Adam's videos.

Adam goes first. Well, it just had to be Alchemist into Vineyard here, right? The trick is getting that stack going and when/if to thin your coppers out by buying Mint. Adam is able to do that and buy a second Potion before I do. Once I get really far behind I get desperate and try to resurrect my chances with Graverobber. It doesn't work. He wins the Alchemist split by a mile and then the game.

Game 2

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368665424236.txt

Shelters, Colony, Vineyard, Apothecary, Develop, Armory, Contraband, Counting House, Mountebank, Venture, Goons, Grand Market

I try (relatively unsuccessfully) to get some Apothecaries. We each get two Mountebanks, and I get some Goons, too. On five he opts for Ventures, which I think in the end is what cost him with all those Coppers flying around, even though he is somehow able to get 6 -- six!! -- Platinums. I opt for a Contraband once I have enough terminal actions. Late I also pick up two Counting Houses. Why two? I can always count on the first one being drawn on a reshuffle. My last turn is Counting House, Contraband (Colonies blocked), then two Provinces for the win. That's right. Counting House-Contraband is a thing now.

Game 3

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368666395869.txt

Smugglers, Swindler, Urchin, Philosopher's Stone, Coppersmith, Island, Nomad Camp, Jester, Harem, Hoard

We both open double Swindler. I hit Estates twice in a row. Bah humbug. But then it gets better. I go for Hoards as soon as I can with Island and Harem on the board. We each get a Jester later. I seem to hit $6 with Hoard more often than him, so the Harems and Golds gave my deck more staying power. I win this one comfortably. 

Game 4

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368668184410.txt

Courtyard, Workshop, Ironmonger, Procession, Scout, Council Room, Explorer, Haggler, Nobles, King's Court

Now this was a game!!!

Knowing I can win the match here, and playing second player, I decide to open Procession-Workshop with the hope of luckily drawing them together. Processing a Necropolis into a Courtyard wouldn't be so bad, either. I get Procession-Workshop on the reshuffle. I like Ironmonger a lot, functioning as a village until KCs are in my deck, and Processing a Workshop gets me three of them. Haggler and KC and Nobles and Council Room and Courtyard. All sorts of stuff to gain lots of actions and go for a megaturn. I think because of all the Ironmongers I get an early lead.

Late, I have a big turn and decide to leave 3 provinces in the supply instead of 4. The odds are with me, I think, but it is not to be. Thinking about this later, if I had not Processed my first Haggler earlier in the game, piles might have been low enough for me to empty piles on my last turn.

This was a very tactical game and due to good counting, Adam extends the match.

Game 5

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130515/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1368669295903.txt

Fool's Gold, Pawn, Scheme, Armory, Baron, Monument, Worker's Village, Jester, Border Village, Expand

Baron-Fool's Gold for both of us early. What to do late, that's the question. The Fool's Golds need to be converted to Gold or drawn together, and I suspect that will not be so easily done with all those coppers and light drawing. We both grab an Expand. I go Border Village-Monument-Scheme, which I felt very good about. I build a points lead, thanks in part to Monument, then am able to end the game.

My luck was atrocious early, but steadily got better as the match progressed. I feel like I was most lucky in the last game where it really counted, always drawing Baron with an Estate.

Thanks again Adam for the games. It was fun!

Green Opal

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 05:57:44 am »

Thanks for the games Kn1tt3r, was a good set. Only thing I really feel the need to add is the horrible misclick in turn 14 of the final game (playing watchtower as final action with university native village 2x monument in hand) which could well have swinged it. Was still a very close and well-fought match so don't feel that put out by it though.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 06:30:13 am »
+4

SheCantSayNo - Joseph2302: 3 - 0

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1368695893475.txt
Squire, Great Hall, Village, Ironmonger, Nomad Camp, Tribute, Venture, Witch, Adventurer, Farmland

I get lucky early on, opening Nomad Camp/Witch and playing Witch on T3. But then I don't play my Witch again until T7, where it not only triggers a reshuffle, but also draws my second Witch dead, and I end up losing the curse split 6-4. Yet I manage to win the close game on a 3-pile ending (Curses, Estates, Farmlands), I think because Joseph Farmlanded Curses into Squires on T17 and T18, which I think should have been Estates.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1368696266438.txt
Fortune Teller, Menagerie, Trade Route, Philosopher's Stone, Noble Brigand, Salvager, Scout, Bazaar, Duke, Forge

Noble Brigand is supposed to somewhat negate 2nd player disadvantage, so I open Silver/NB, which pays off when I hit on T3 his freshly bought Gold. He buys a Province on T7, while I intend to go for Duchy/Duke, buying Duchies on T7, T8 and T9. He follows, and on T10 he Salvages his Province and buys 2 Duchies, which we end up splitting 4-4. In the end-game I manage to get a Province by Salvaging a Gold (+6VP), whereas he gets 2 by Salvaging 2 Dukes (which were worth 4VP each, so he nets +4VP), which, together with him Salvaging more of his starting Estates, gives me the edge as we empty the Estate pile.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1368696785062.txt
Transmute, Moat, Secret Chamber, Menagerie, Watchtower, JackOfAllTrades, Cartographer, Count, Venture, Harem

We both open Jack/Silver, he gets a second Jack and Venture on T3/4 while I get Gold/nothing. On T5 he buys another Venture while I get my second Jack. Then he buys a third Jack on T6 which I definitely think is overkill, as the slightly more Silvers you'll gain don't weigh up against the increased terminal collision. Joseph also gets Cartographers on T12 & 13, which I don't like as they don't do too much for him here and those are two more cards that can potentially be drawn dead by one of his 3 Jacks. On T14 I buy the penultimate Province so that I'd win on turns if he bought the last one on T15. But he can only buy an Estate while I do have enough for the last Province.

Thanks for the games, Joseph, you played well and the games were closer than a 3-0 score would indicate.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 07:05:01 am »
+1

Thanks for the games, they were definitely good, close games.

Game :1 I think we both had varying luck (good and bad), which made it close.
Game 2: my Duchy/Duke/Province strategy was definitely a bit messed up, so I deserved to lose- think the Estate/Squire thing didn't end up mattering (lost by 4, and only didn't take estates twice).
Game 3: Not sure why I bought Cartographers, I kind of felt I was behind at that stage and tried to do something different (and useful), duchies probably would have been better.

Nevertheless, good games, and good luck for the rest of the tournament.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 03:45:23 pm »
+2

Last game for me of this tournament against AHoppy where the interesting and boring games alternated. I won 3-1
Video:

Game 1: 5/2 on an Ambassador board doesn't look so good, but there's Trading Post. I opened TP / Courtyard, bought only money and one Laboratory. With lucky draws I could soon get a Province each turn while he was still building. He couldn't catch up with his much better deck.

Game 2: I'm still not sure about this board. With Courtyard, Scavenger and Oracle and only Pillage as Attack you could easily play BM here. But I tried the engine with King's Court and the only buy being Storeroom (and Talisman as gainer for all the cheap engine pieces). I did fall behind pretty fast as I couldn't draw a village with a KC in hand very often. I got 2 pretty big turns, but it was still close. With 2 Provinces left and him being 2 points in the lead I opted to buy Province and gain Duchy with Feast as I was pretty confident he couldn't mirror that and win. But he got a pretty good turn and also got the +Buy in Storeroom, so I lost by 2 points.

Game 3: Goons+BM basically. I used Scavenger to get there early and Royal Seals to play them earlier. He did buy more Action cards which was way slower. Boring game in general, with lucky draws on my part as I never drew 2 Goons together.

Game 4: Here again an interesting board. Pretty strong Double Tactician / Conspirator board with Sage, Village, Warehouse for Conspirator support and Horse Traders and Scavenger (yes 3 games in a row with Scavenger) with virtual coins. But there's Witch too. So I decided to buy a Witch first, get a few Warehouses to cycle faster to play Witch more often, got a Tactician and then built up the engine. AHoppy played more money based with a couple of Actions mixed in. This worked out really good for me until I noticed too late that I have no actions over in one turn to play the Tactician. But I could get another Tactician turn before he could catch up in which I could win.

Thanks AHoppy for the series. Good luck in the next tournament.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 05:51:18 pm »

Mic Q wins 4 to 2 against Rabid

Game 2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130516/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1368738698940.txt
Chapel Witch board, early shuffle luck win.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.