Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Forge coppers into curse, even if there are no more curses in the supply ?  (Read 2138 times)

Pikanto

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile

Hi all,

When i forge coppers, can i choose to gain a curse, even if there are no more curses in the supply (simply to get rid of copper), or do i have to take a card that is actually in the supply for the same cost, like copper or ruins ?

I had that case on goko yesterday, and goko automatically gave me a copper, not sure if thats right.

cheers,

Pikanto

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile

Its right.

You're not allowed to gain a card from workshop or remake that has an empty supply pile, why should this be any different?

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile

It says "Gain a Card" (which means from the Supply), and if curses have run out, they are no longer in the Supply, so you can't gain them.

Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile

Its right.

You're not allowed to gain a card from workshop or remake that has an empty supply pile, why should this be any different?

Another example: swindling your opponents peddler when the peddler pile is out: you have to give them a province, you can't choose to "give" them a non-existent peddler.

Pikanto

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile

Ok thanks for your responses, i'll keep it in mind then :-)

[EDIT]

Ah, now i remember why i asked intially, because when someone plays a torturer on you, you can choose to gain a curse from the empty pile, i confused the issue here.

[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:50:44 am by Pikanto »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
+1

Ok thanks for your responses, i'll keep it in mind then :-)

[EDIT]

Ah, now i remember why i asked intially, because when someone plays a torturer on you, you can choose to gain a curse from the empty pile, i confused the issue here.

[/EDIT]

Torturer and Tournament both allow you to make a choice where you gain nothing, but it's because they provide 2 separate options of which action you want to follow. Torturer lets you choose to either discard 2 cards or gain a curse. Tournament lets you choose to either gain a Duchy, or gain a Prize. With both those cards, you first choose which path you will follow, and then separately carry out the instructions. So you choose "gain a curse" before the game every checks to see if there are curses available.

But with Forge (or Workshop, etc), there is no choice to make, at least not until you are already following the "gain a card" part of the instructions. And at that point, you have no choice but to actually gain a card, which means to choose an available card and gain it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.