Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some cards  (Read 3253 times)

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
Some cards
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:39:47 pm »

My two brothers and I just played a game before which we decided to each choose a card we came up with to play with and choose the other 7 at random. So, the kingdom was: Menagerie, Fishing Village, Horse Traders, Jester, Trading Post, Hunting Party, Philosopher's stone and our three creations; Trade Agreement, Road Block, and Fund.

Here are the cards:

Trade Agreement
$4 Action
+$2
+1 Buy
The player to your left reveals their hand. Choose one of the revealed cards and move the Trade Token to that card’s supply pile. While the Trade Token remains on that pile, all cards from that pile cost 1 less, but not less than 0.

This was my idea, and it was a little weak. It's main value to me was for the +$2 in my Menagerie deck which liked the extra name. I think to play with it again, I would make the moving of the Trade Token optional, or not restrict it based on the hand of the player to the left. The token never really moved where I wanted it to. Another idea I might consider would be to make an opposite card, which makes everything cost $1 more.

Road Block
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Place a road block token on any supply pile without a road block token. When you gain a card from a pile with a road block token set it aside. After you next reshuffle, put it in your discard pile.

This was one of my brothers' creations, and he made it his quest to Road Block everything except the victory cards. It really didn't do much, because you just bought blocked cards you needed if you needed them. However, I would like to try a few things with it. I would make it a one shot, or make it do something for your deck, or maybe be +1 Card, +1 Action, You may trash a card from your hand. If you do ..... Any of these might make it more interesting. I would also like to try playing with it in a game with some brutal attacks like Ghost Ship to see if it helps slow the game down more.

The card also had a weird issue with cards which gain things to places other than your discard pile. My brother wanted gaining to hand or gaining to top of deck to override Road Block, but I'm not sure how to word that. I think that the road block should still delay them, but then place them in your discard pile anyways. Thoughts?

Fund
$6 - Treasure-Duration
Now and at the start of your next buy phase, $2.

This was probably the best card we tried, although it might be a little powerful. The brother who came up with this played a strategy based on Hunting Party and this card, and had at least $4 from these guys basically every turn.

So, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:41:27 pm by gman314 »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Some cards
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:28:15 pm »

Watch out for Fund's interactions with Mint, Mandarin, Herbalist, and Counterfeit!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:51:49 pm »

I did something like Road Block before on my Card Contraption (aka. Windmill). It was an on-buy restriction to make the otherwise overly-strong card weaker (it had itself set aside). It worked nicely up to now, so i think the setting aside IS a strong effect. The fact that you have to play Road Block before it can cause the effect makes it a bit slow, though. As an on-gain it probably would be kind of unfair - if you are player two and buy the first Road Block, player one can gain normally and player three can not. Sorry i have no solution, but the effect as an attack seems nice :)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 06:53:37 pm »

Watch out for Fund's interactions with Mint, Mandarin, Herbalist, and Counterfeit!
I'd treat it like you with herbalist, mandarin, and counterfeit like you would a regular duration with scheme and throne room. And if you but mint while its in play, trash it.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 07:47:37 pm »

I've actually thought of Fund, it's pretty much strictly better than Mercant Ship, so must be 6.
It gets absurd though if you can play a lot of them.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:48:42 pm »

compare it to gold... It's usually better I think.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:52:41 pm »

This. It seems a bit too good for 6, but 7 might be a bit high.
Maybe some buy clause like GM, make it expensive and have a Peddler-like thing, or give opponents silver when you buy it. You could also give the opponent the option to gain a copper to hand when you play it.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:08:33 pm »

I'd treat it like you with herbalist, mandarin, and counterfeit like you would a regular duration with scheme and throne room. And if you but mint while its in play, trash it.

The problem with Herbalist is that the wording on Herbalist is different from the wording on Scheme. Scheme specifically only topdecks Action cards if they get discarded this turn; Herbalist just says to topdeck the Treasure from play immediately no matter what. I'm not sure how Mandarin relates to that.

Counterfeit's interaction with it is more like Procession than Throne Room.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 11:02:30 pm »

The problem with Herbalist is that the wording on Herbalist is different from the wording on Scheme. Scheme specifically only topdecks Action cards if they get discarded this turn; Herbalist just says to topdeck the Treasure from play immediately no matter what. I'm not sure how Mandarin relates to that.

The thing is, there are no existing Treasure-Durations. What I would do with both Herbalist and Mandarin is put the Fund on top. With Mint, I'd say trash it, and for it's interaction with Counterfeit I'd say use the ruling on Procession with Durations, which I really don't know.

This. It seems a bit too good for 6, but 7 might be a bit high.
Maybe some buy clause like GM, make it expensive and have a Peddler-like thing, or give opponents silver when you buy it. You could also give the opponent the option to gain a copper to hand when you play it.

Yeah, in the game we played, I bought a Gold once, but only because it gave an extra name for my Menageries. In general, I'd want Funds. I had been thinking about how to price it a little higher, and I think that I'd go with $5 and the GM restriction. I think at $6 with no coppers it compares unfavourably to GM although it might fit in at $7. I'm not sure how it compares to Bank.

I did something like Road Block before on my Card Contraption (aka. Windmill). It was an on-buy restriction to make the otherwise overly-strong card weaker (it had itself set aside). It worked nicely up to now, so i think the setting aside IS a strong effect. The fact that you have to play Road Block before it can cause the effect makes it a bit slow, though. As an on-gain it probably would be kind of unfair - if you are player two and buy the first Road Block, player one can gain normally and player three can not. Sorry i have no solution, but the effect as an attack seems nice :)

I really don't know what to think of Road Block because our game had a lot of really fast cycling, so you just got some cards a turn later. What I would like to do is play with it in a slow game with something like Ghost ship or Sea Hag to see if it becomes a pain then. I'd also like to play it in a game with some alt-vp and divergent strategies where you could roadblock your own green cards to keep them out of your deck for a bit longer.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 08:20:00 pm »

The thing is, there are no existing Treasure-Durations. What I would do with both Herbalist and Mandarin is put the Fund on top. With Mint, I'd say trash it,

Sure. This is what the wording on the cards requires. But note that what this means is that the Fund is being removed from play before it gives you its second +$2, and you'll have to remember that you're getting that +$2 anyway.

and for it's interaction with Counterfeit I'd say use the ruling on Procession with Durations, which I really don't know.

Trash the Duration, leave the Counterfeit in play until the time at which you would ordinarily clean up the Duration, and that's what reminds you to get the bonus from the Duration on the next turn... unless you have an Herbalist, Mandarin, or Mint topdeck or trash the Counterfeit, of course.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 11:30:41 am »

Sure. This is what the wording on the cards requires. But note that what this means is that the Fund is being removed from play before it gives you its second +$2, and you'll have to remember that you're getting that +$2 anyway.

See, I would have said that if you topdeck it or otherwise remove it from play then it's not in your play area to give you that +$2. But I see why you'd say that it gives you the +$2 anyways.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 02:15:07 pm »

See, I would have said that if you topdeck it or otherwise remove it from play then it's not in your play area to give you that +$2. But I see why you'd say that it gives you the +$2 anyways.

Again, observe the interaction of Procession with other Durations. Removing a Duration card from play before the next turn doesn't stop it from having its next-turn effects. Playing Merchant Ship gives you +$2 this turn, and it gives you +$2 next turn, but it gives you +$2-next-turn now. Fund does the same, and if it's removed from play before next turn, you already have that +$2-next-turn effect waiting for you.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:16:42 pm by AJD »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.