Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: thoughts on this board?  (Read 2162 times)

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
thoughts on this board?
« on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:05 pm »

Ambassador
Forager
Oracle
Fortress
Moneylender
Monument
Spice Merchant
Ill gotten gains
City
Governor

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
Re: thoughts on this board?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 05:52:54 pm »

Monument-IGG looks like a pretty straight-forward strategy. As does just Governor. But with Forager (non-terminal slow trash, +buy), Ambassador (junk, trash-ish), 2 villages (one of which Cities, which may counter well the IGG), and maybe Govenor to help draw, I think a highly-skilled player could create an engine that would leave an IGG rush smarting, especially if the engine could return multiple Curses in a turn, meaning that the IGG and Curse piles dont simultaneously empty. It would be a no-brainer if there were better draw than Oracle, Governor, or activated Cities. The Oracle may just be enough, though. I think I would take my chances and go either Monument-IGG or Governor.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 06:08:44 pm »

This looks like engine to me. Especially with Fortress in play as there are lots of $5 targets for Governor's remodel if its used before the final turn (as it should be at least a couple of times).

I think the open is Amb/Forager here transitioning into Gov/Monument with Fortress as the main village. I just don't see Cities powering up even to level 2 here until after Governor is gone and by that time it will be too late to do anything with those.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:52:55 pm »

Governor dominates; there are a few ways to go about it but I think this might be one of the boards where you can ignore Amb. Open Forager/Moneylender or something.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 11:05:42 am »

Governor dominates; there are a few ways to go about it but I think this might be one of the boards where you can ignore Amb. Open Forager/Moneylender or something.

It seems that one player ignoring Amb could receive basically 10 Copper/Estates fro the other player in no time, while the non-Amb player at best trashes at half the speed. Then, the Amb player could transition into Governor and probably split them 5-5 while having a thinner deck.

Also, there are good cards for engine in 3-4-5 price points, so Remodeling on the other player Governor play is really helpful, so you should not Remodel until after the mid-game.

I would open Amb/Silver and transition into Governor/Fortress/Oracle engine with Amb to clean up incoming junk if there is some.

EDIT: I agree that Cities do not look appealing here. If the opponent goes for IGG rush, Governor + Amb should beat that pretty hard, even if we give away a free card each turn.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:07:04 am by soulnet »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 12:14:35 pm »

It seems that one player ignoring Amb could receive basically 10 Copper/Estates fro the other player in no time, while the non-Amb player at best trashes at half the speed. Then, the Amb player could transition into Governor and probably split them 5-5 while having a thinner deck.

How do you suppose that this last sentence will happen? Most openings involving Amb have trouble hitting $5. Conversely, a Forager/Moneylender opening both trashes and provides economy. I seriously doubt that anything fancy involving Oracles and Fortresses will work considering that the kingdom doesn't really offer great ways to gain multiple cards.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 01:50:08 pm »

How do you suppose that this last sentence will happen? Most openings involving Amb have trouble hitting $5. Conversely, a Forager/Moneylender opening both trashes and provides economy. I seriously doubt that anything fancy involving Oracles and Fortresses will work considering that the kingdom doesn't really offer great ways to gain multiple cards.

Maybe for T3/T4. After that, you either have 6-card hands or can Remodel your Fortress into Governors for free or have a couple of free Silvers, so you will have no problem hitting $5, especially with Ambassadors' deck thinning. Yes, Amb player will start behind on the Governor race, but I think that it can catch up, or at least, take better advantage of its 4 Governors total. I may be wrong of course.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 06:25:06 am »

Quote from: jqs
The "connection with server lost" is meant to come up when you're in a game and you lose connection with the server unexpectedly. I think there's an edge case I still need to catch for end-game conditions so you don't see it when just ending a game normally. Thanks for the poke.

At least they're trying.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.