Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: bad (Dutch) translations & rules  (Read 14538 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: bad (Dutch) translations & rules
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 03:43:54 pm »

The funniest mistake they made translating to Dutch actually has nothing to do with the cards, but with the order they're in.

I've read some examples of overly enthusiastic translators above, but the opposite isn't exactly golden either. Somehow they managed not to realize cards were in alphabetical order in the rule book and in the boxes. So they kept the English order, and now when I want to look something up, I always go like "hmmm.... Grensdorp.... that's a Border Village in English, starting with a B, so it's probably very early".

And you'd think that if they don't get it right on the first expansion, they'd surely fix that with the next. But no ... only one chance left.
Well, that would have meant that they would have to create their own inserts as the English one has sizes big enough to fit Gardens and Rats etc.

In german they used alphabetical order for all cards except Rats, Urchin and Hermit. But you know where they are, so it's not a big deal actually.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 06:00:03 pm »
+1

Others are: Watchtower, Smugglers and Possesion all mention "buys or gain" instead of "gain"... Obviously they didn't know gain always (when not tradered) happens after buy, and as players, we didn't before Hinterland...

The rule book actually made a severe distinction in german between "gain" and "buy", claiming that "gain" happens only during your action phase. They didn't correct that until Hinterlands.

Not the most horrible mistake. (Except they made the mistake of thinking it would be a good idea to "correct" the original rules.) But then Royal Seal and Trade Route should also say "buy or gain".

What do RS and TR say now? Aside from a few edge cases, saying" buy or gain" is redundant. It only needs to say "gain", and that's how the English versions are worded.

Yes, with the English rules it's redundant. But as Asper writes, the Germans changed the definitions so that gain only happens in the Action phase, and then changed a bunch of cards to reflect that. So I was saying that to do that consistently, you also need to change RS and TR. Then it would mostly works as intended, until Hinterlands, except maybe for a few edge cases (and maybe something major I'm not thinking about). And of course Horn of Plenty is before Hinterlands, and gains in the Buy phase.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 06:23:54 pm »

Others are: Watchtower, Smugglers and Possesion all mention "buys or gain" instead of "gain"... Obviously they didn't know gain always (when not tradered) happens after buy, and as players, we didn't before Hinterland...

The rule book actually made a severe distinction in german between "gain" and "buy", claiming that "gain" happens only during your action phase. They didn't correct that until Hinterlands.

Not the most horrible mistake. (Except they made the mistake of thinking it would be a good idea to "correct" the original rules.) But then Royal Seal and Trade Route should also say "buy or gain".

What do RS and TR say now? Aside from a few edge cases, saying" buy or gain" is redundant. It only needs to say "gain", and that's how the English versions are worded.

Yes, with the English rules it's redundant. But as Asper writes, the Germans changed the definitions so that gain only happens in the Action phase, and then changed a bunch of cards to reflect that. So I was saying that to do that consistently, you also need to change RS and TR. Then it would mostly works as intended, until Hinterlands, except maybe for a few edge cases (and maybe something major I'm not thinking about). And of course Horn of Plenty is before Hinterlands, and gains in the Buy phase.

Ahh.  OK.

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 11:40:44 am »

I sent an email from Belgium to klantenservice@999games.nl to ask if they could sent me the 11 cards with the new correct translations in Dutch.
3 days later i got them in my postbox.
Great Service!
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.