Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New to creating cards, what d'you think of these two?  (Read 1495 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
New to creating cards, what d'you think of these two?
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:54:46 pm »

I have nobody to playtest with, so that route's out, as is any likelihood of these actually seeing play, but I do like making content for things, so I'm tossing around ideas for an Umineko-related fan expansion, based largely around a theme of draconian measures, as demonstrated here.

Witch's Epithet ($7 Action)- Trash your hand.  Gain a Gold for every card trashed.
I couldn't decide between $6 or $7 for this.  I settled on $7, as it makes it more of a late game card.  I figure the only cards you reeeeally are gonna have to think about sacrificing are Provinces, so making it $7 makes it that much more a late game buy.

Golden Witch ($4 Action)- Your choice: Either everybody else gains a Gold and a Curse, or you do.
I am honestly not sure whether the effect is beneficial, but it'd be solid in the presence of other cursers to drain the pile.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: New to creating cards, what d'you think of these two?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »

Witch's Epithet ($7 Action)- Trash your hand.  Gain a Gold for every card trashed.
I couldn't decide between $6 or $7 for this.  I settled on $7, as it makes it more of a late game card.  I figure the only cards you reeeeally are gonna have to think about sacrificing are Provinces, so making it $7 makes it that much more a late game buy.

Many times, it's worth it to make a $5 or $6 purchase when you come up with $8 early with no extra buys. But this would definitely be something I'd consider over a Platinum. If you go big money you could get this quickly, and it will guarantee you a more streamlined deck with even bigger money. Just consider: if you had 4 other coppers in hand, this card would be like playing Mine 8 times in a row. Now consider larger hands: with any decent draw engine, you'd only have to play this once on a large hand of rubbish (such as estates, coppers, curses, silvers, unplayed terminal $2-4s and perhaps even $5s as well--plus perhaps a gold or two mixed in, but you won't be losing those anyways) and then you'll be making consistent Province buys obscenely early. And your engine cards will remain perfectly intact. Have you ever played any games with Tournament? It encourages Province buys extremely early, but it's very difficult to even trigger their benefit. You need to think of ways to limit the power of Witch's Epithet, because the proper price would be astronomically high. And playing a lot of Golds that you got with an easy play of a single card wouldn't be very fun, either... It's a little faster than normal big money, but it's essentially the same thing.

Golden Witch ($4 Action)- Your choice: Either everybody else gains a Gold and a Curse, or you do.
I am honestly not sure whether the effect is beneficial, but it'd be solid in the presence of other cursers to drain the pile.

It won't ever be worth it to attack others. And for the self-gaining option... Its worth varies dramatically between boards with trashing cards, and boards without... Perhaps you should consider some other drawback to playing this card... Maybe something effecting the handsize or your next turn or your next draw.... Or each other player draws a card?

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
Re: New to creating cards, what d'you think of these two?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:28:58 pm »

Maybe make this more like governor. Either you get a gold and a curse or they get a silver and a curse? Don't know if that fixes it, but makes it at least more viable to give out curses. Even then, the net gain ($3/2 cards) is actually worse than just silver ($2/1 card), but with other trashing or 'sorting' enablers this may not be a problem.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.833 seconds with 20 queries.