Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Puzzles with (probably) multiple answers  (Read 2235 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Puzzles with (probably) multiple answers
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:41:58 pm »

This is a bit of an overlap with a few other threads, but I'm creating this thread to be for puzzles where it isn't about finding the one true solution, but instead trying to find as many different solutions as possible - but potentially harder situations than in the "easy puzzles" thread.

Let's start with this:
At the start of your Buy phase, you have 1 Buy and have played your Treasures, giving you at least $8. But the amount of coins you have will affect your decision on whether to buy a Province or a Gold. Why?

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzles with (probably) multiple answers
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:47:31 pm »

My first answer (a fairly straightforward one):
You know you want both a Gold and a Province in your deck for whatever reason, and the last 10 cards in your deck are all Treasures worth a total of $14. If you get exactly $8 this turn, you can buy the Province now and then get the Gold next turn, whereas if you get any more than that you'll probably want to get the Gold now and pass on buying anything next turn so that after that the Gold gets shuffled in and increases your chances of being able to buy the Province next.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:00:01 pm »

Welll, there's deck tracking like you said. then there's maybe the guilds mechanic for paying more...

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:48:13 am »

You've played a haggler and want to gain a mandarin, but don't want the treasures to stop up your engine that with the addition of the mandarin will get you 2 provinces next turn.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:39:33 pm »
+1

The converse of deck tracking. You've lost count of how many coins you have in deck; but since you just drew your whole deck, you now know how much you have, and whether you need more treasure in it.

I suspect something similar could be done with philosopher's stone to track exactly how many cards you have, although I'm not sure why you'd be debating gold vs. province in that sort of deck.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:51:27 pm »

Colony and Platinum are out
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:30:13 pm »

The converse of deck tracking. You've lost count of how many coins you have in deck; but since you just drew your whole deck, you now know how much you have, and whether you need more treasure in it.
I like this answer, mostly because it reflects my playstyle.

Colony and Platinum are out
How does that explain why you'd decide between Province and Gold based on the $ you have? Maybe if you're trying to play the PPR/PCR a bit ...

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:14:22 pm »
+1

You've built a deck that draws it self that has been using Moneylender / Salvager (on Estates).  If your money total is still high enough you'll buy a Province, but if you'll start to run too low to buy a province next turn, you'll buy a gold.
A man on a mission.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.