Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: GOKODOM I: Round 4 Results and Discussion  (Read 22091 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Re: GOKODOM I: Round 4 Results and Discussion
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 09:47:10 pm »

On your game 3, with no +buy in sight, I think BM Embassy is definitely the way to go. Possibly Silver/Navigator opening transitioning into Embassy BM.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:46 pm »

how many embassies? 2? so really, my treasury should have just been another embassy?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 02:06:16 am »

how many embassies? 2? so really, my treasury should have just been another embassy?

Yes. 2 would be fine. 1 might be okay if you open with a Navigator and you consistently draw $6... but with an extra $5 it doesn't hurt to get another Embassy. It does hurt to get a Treasury. You have to discard something to Embassy, so collision isn't terrible, but Treasury just doesn't do anything for you in a deck like this.

The point of Treasury is to build up a really good deck. It's really no better than Silver in a BM deck, and probably worse in BM draw.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 11:16:18 am »
+2

shraeye vs lespeutere 0-3
shraeye suggested to play with identical starting hands and goko was nice to us, only making us restart once!

Poor House, Herbalist*, Bridge, Monument, Tournament, Wandering Minstrel, Young Witch, Graverobber, Jester, Mystic, Vault
So, he started monument/silver on this YW board, which made me start YW/silver. As he picked up a jester on t3, I switched my game plan from "YW and then mostly money" to "YW into fast cycling engine with a bunch of WMs". He got a herbalist, but only managed to block my single YW once, he got his YW from jestering mine, but eventually we split curses 9-1 (!) in my favour due to my jester hitting green twice. WM then combos nicely with mystique and I got huge luck to draw tournament and province together on the first shuffle after province purchase. shraeye invests in money, mainly, but it's just to hard to overcome this curse distribution with me winning trusty steed, followers, so I when WM and curses are gone, I am able to safely empty herbalists: 22 - -3.

Transmute, Secret Chamber, Chancellor, Bridge, Ironworks, Salvager, Spice Merchant, Margrave, Rebuild, Stables
I am still not 100% sure, but it looks like a clear rebuild setup. There is, however, the possibility to build a stables engine with a margrave, but that margrave is even helpful to the rebuild player. So while he starts spice merchant/silver, I go SM/chancelor, which I like quite a lot as it speads up my early game significantly. Both of us didn't keep much track of the points, we both get 2 rebuilds. Key difference is that I stop buying estates when duchies are out but get a few golds when I have 6 or 7$. He chooses province twice and hits estates with rebuild giving me the chance to overtake him. Had he chosen estate, he would've ended this in his favour. I get lucky, however, on my final turn letting me go double province with a rebuild, 2 coppers, 2 golds hand: 30 - 27.

Scrying Pool, University, Great Hall, Shanty Town, Philosopher's Stone, Gardens, Moneylender, Counterfeit, Rabble, Torturer
A classic university/torturers game. He opens potion/great hall, and his potion is card 12, while I open (correctly) potion/shanty town and get university on the first shuffle. We get lots of torturers (6-4 for me), I also pick up a moneylender and a counterfeit - and that's pretty much it. We split curses 9-1 again, since I close this one out with gardens/curse after having picked up the remaining GHs: 8 - -2.

Many thanks to shraeye for easy scheduling despite the 6 hour difference. Fun games for me, I hope you had some, too. Moreover, he astonished me by speaking German really well, so if anyone of the German community plays him, he's happy to speak some German. ;-)

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2013, 09:23:00 am »

I've made two attempts to contact my opponent (Kahlebb) this week and have not heard back from them.  I doubt I will either seeing as today is Saturday and it will be pretty hard to schedule a match at this point.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2013, 12:59:58 pm »

Yep, I've had a few forfeits in my Inbox, andwilk.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

17and3buys

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2013, 02:06:54 pm »

Game Four:
I don’t have a log for this one, which is a shame because it was the best game. The final score was something like 55-54 in his favor. Navigator is here again, along with fishing village, pawn, farmland, duke, and band of misfits. I get 5-2 and open BoM-Pawn. BoM was actually quite good with Big money here because it could be a fishing village or a navigator, depending on if I needed 1 or 2 coins. It could even be pawn for +buy. Anyway, we split the duchies and dukes evenly. The estates and provinces are untouched, two piles are empty, and there are only 8 pawns.  Our decks are pretty bad because we each have 4 duchies and 4 dukes. I’m not sure whether the better play here is to go for estates for the three-pile, or try to build up to provinces. We end up both going for provinces. I have a 4-3 lead in provinces and buy two estates, with the power to buy three more estates on my next turn. I think I have it in the bag, but then I realize he had bought a farmland, so buying the last province would result in yet another tie. However, he is able to get and estate and a province and so wins by a point.

Thanks for the match, 17and3buys! Easily my favorite match yet, and the only one to go 6 games.

Here's the log for Game 4:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130508/log.50ac3ac8e4b0fb8e18c1aa4b.1368062347797.txt

This was definitely an epic game. The main mistake that liopoil made was that he told me during my last turn that if I got the last Province, it would be another tie game. At this point, I was looking at the cards drawn from my Navigator and deciding what to do. I figured that, unless he was trying to trick me with that statement, I could win by placing my Band of Misfits on top of my deck, playing Scheme, and using my Band of Misfits as a Pawn, utilizing +1 buy and +1 coin in order to give me enough for the Province and the Estate, therefore edging liopoil out by 1 VP. (I apologize for the run-on sentence.)

It's like the old saying goes: Loose lips (or, in this case, fingers) sink ships.

Great round, liopoil! On to Round 5.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2013, 02:11:17 pm »

well, I assumed you were either counting yourself, or would look at the log and figure it out :P

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2013, 02:12:02 pm »

Results of Polk5440 versus Loppo: Polk defeats Loppo 3-2

However, I can't seem to get any of the logs!! Help me out, please.

Will comment once I can figure out what the heck happened.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2013, 03:19:31 pm »
+1

i wrote down the results. All the logs seem to be broken
Loppo 2 - Polk 5440 3

game 1: Loppo 36 - Polk 5440 24
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1368285552845.txt

game2: Loppo 50 - Polk 5440 2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?75e4b013548a3d58f0.1368286412318.txt

game 3: Loppo 11 - Polk 5440 36
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1368287782779.txt

game4: Loppo 28 - Polk 5440 43
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?75e4b013548a3d58f0.1368288871368.txt

game5: Loppo 32 - Polk 5440 44
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1368289726466.txt

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2013, 03:21:53 pm »

I put in a getsatisfaction report, maybe they can find them.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2013, 03:29:53 pm »

They said they were going to modify the logs to report  the game type pro/casual/etc. Maybe thats messed v something up.

MrHaas

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2013, 09:58:56 am »

Don't have logs, only who won:
zaubererer vs MrHaas: 3-1-1

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2013, 12:28:42 am »

Pairings for next week are likely to be quite late tomorrow, owing to some annoying stuff on my Monday.  Apologies in advance!

Edit:  Also, because I have to deal with multiple dropouts, which means creating some virtual opponents for some of you.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:58:51 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2013, 02:21:18 am »

which means creating some virtual opponents for some of you.

Sounds like the opportunity Conqueror Bot has been waiting for!

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2013, 04:54:29 am »

which means creating some virtual opponents for some of you.

Sounds like the opportunity Conqueror Bot has been waiting for!
Oh no I loose against bots much to often. 

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2013, 11:17:32 am »

Pairings are up.  Thread will be activated later when I have more time!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 20 queries.