Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Suggestions?  (Read 10171 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 10:40:20 pm »

I don't remember where I found it, but I still have the deck. I'll post the contents:

15 Hazards

3 Kings
3 Queens
3 Jacks
3 Twos
3 Aces

15 Treasures

1 '10'
1 '9'
2 '8'
1 '7'
3 '6'
4 '5'
2 '4'
1 '3'

All that really needs to be set in stone is the 30 card deck, a split of 15 Treasures and 15 Hazards, and the Hazards split into 5 categories of 3 cards each. You can manipulate the Treasure values however you want, but the set I posted seems to work fairly well. I just used poker chips to keep track of money and then a red and green (or any two colors that can be easily related to continue and stop) cards to mark who stays who goes. I could probably find a rough summary of the rules on BGG, but someone may know a different place on the Internet with the full rules.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 12:22:53 pm »

I'd recommend picking up the real game, because I think it's only $20.

...and then a red and green (or any two colors that can be easily related to continue and stop) cards to mark who stays who goes.

The only thing about the real game that I didn't like was that the cards for staying and leaving didn't make much sense to me, so I cut up little pieces of paper to put inside the card protectors that say STAY in green and LEAVE in red to make it very clear. Some people make fun of me for this, but I usually give them enough ammo that they make fun of me for other stuff instead :P
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 03:33:47 pm »

I'd recommend picking up the real game, because I think it's only $20.

I would, but there's no convenient place for me to buy it! :P

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 08:12:14 pm »
+1

Another good light/fun game which I played a bunch of this weekend is Red Dragon Inn. It's a game about drinking and gambling more or less. And the theming is on the silly end. Once you get drunk or lose all your money, you lose. Last man/woman/orc/killer rabbit standing wins.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 08:56:54 pm »

Have you thought about Munchkin yet?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 09:03:51 pm »
+5

I think about Munchkin a lot. But mostly about how I wish both time travel and inception style mind entering were possible so I could go back in time and prevent even the concept of that game from ever entering existence.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 09:36:18 pm »

I think about Munchkin a lot. But mostly about how I wish both time travel and inception style mind entering were possible so I could go back in time and prevent even the concept of that game from ever entering existence.
I'm with you on that one.  I just figured it would fit the OP's group's needs.  It's light and funny, has the interaction he's looking for and isn't hard to pick up.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 06:00:20 pm »
+1

I played Munchkin ~2 years ago. It was OK, but definitally not my favorite. There was some nice humor, so I may have to go check it out again.

Never heard of Red Dragon. Another one to add to the list!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 06:11:16 pm »

if u didn't like munchkin the first time, it won't get better. it will get worse.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 10:13:06 am »

Munchkin is a children's game mostly.

It gives you the idea of having some influence on the outcome of the game (ok, maybe you can make bad decisions) while it's mostly completely random. You might care for that kind of game, but I don't really.

It highly depends on your group and your group's expectations. E.g. I wouldn't mind that much to play Munchkin with my family, because we always have a lot of laughs, no matter what the game is. In this came Munchkin would act like some sort of laughing oil (if you get the term) to grease the party up.

"Hey sis, kablam, take that!"
"Ok, bro, but here's this!"
Hahaha

BTW: if you like Munchkin, you will like Fluxx I think.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:16:26 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 11:12:31 am »

Or in the same vein, Killer Bunnies.

I think KB has a bit more skill than Munchkin and Fluxx, which have nothing. I've only played it once though.

The Fluxx Board Game looks a lot more interesting to me though.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 05:48:34 pm »

We own KB (and a couple expansions) as well as the iOS version of Fluxx. I enjoy KB and Fluxx, but I'm not dying to play it. One person loves it and so we'll play 2 player versions of both of them frequently, but everyone else doesn't like it because of the luck factor, which I agree with.

Synthesizer

• Bishop
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 02:55:51 am »
+1

Main reason I don't like Munchkin and Killer Bunnies is that in every game I played (granted, 2 or 3 of each), at least one player got killed, tried to enter the game again, drew something ridiculous that killed him again, and so on, for a significant part of the game. Basically, that player was just waiting for other players to finish their turns, after which he couldn't do anything in his own turn, rinse, repeat. Even though eventually the player will get out of the rut, and even have a chance of winning, it pretty much just means that this player is WAITING rather than PLAYING through (part of) the game. Not too much fun, if you ask me. I'd much rather play Bohnanza, Take5!, Pickomino, heck even a kids game like Chicken Cha Cha Cha: at least everybody is actually PLAYING through the whole game.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 04:03:39 pm »

I played Munchkin ~2 years ago. It was OK, but definitally not my favorite. There was some nice humor, so I may have to go check it out again.

The best part of Munchkin and its expansions is reading the cards.  Thankfully, you only need to do that once; then, you can hand the cards back to the sucker who bought them.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 12:48:23 am »

Look at the can of worms I opened...

Munchkin is fun if you aren't actually trying to play a game.  It's basically a hilarious multiplayer game of rock paper scissors.  Which is great for people who don't really care about strategy.  What i've found with people is that they only play the strategy games I play once, and then they don't come back to it, or if they do it is much later and it becomes impossible to actually become good at a game.  But munchkin is fine for that crowd.  So I have a copy of it to play with people who aren't interested in learning all the intricacies of a game, they just want to do something "fun".

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »

Look at the can of worms I opened...

Munchkin is fun if you aren't actually trying to play a game.  It's basically a hilarious multiplayer game of rock paper scissors.  Which is great for people who don't really care about strategy.  What i've found with people is that they only play the strategy games I play once, and then they don't come back to it, or if they do it is much later and it becomes impossible to actually become good at a game.  But munchkin is fine for that crowd.  So I have a copy of it to play with people who aren't interested in learning all the intricacies of a game, they just want to do something "fun".

This sounds like a perfect crowd for that game "This has not been playtested" or whatever it is called.

Main reason I don't like Munchkin and Killer Bunnies is that in every game I played (granted, 2 or 3 of each), at least one player got killed, tried to enter the game again, drew something ridiculous that killed him again, and so on, for a significant part of the game. Basically, that player was just waiting for other players to finish their turns, after which he couldn't do anything in his own turn, rinse, repeat. Even though eventually the player will get out of the rut, and even have a chance of winning, it pretty much just means that this player is WAITING rather than PLAYING through (part of) the game. Not too much fun, if you ask me. I'd much rather play Bohnanza, Take5!, Pickomino, heck even a kids game like Chicken Cha Cha Cha: at least everybody is actually PLAYING through the whole game.

This was more or less my experience with Munchkin the first time I played. I was dealt a +1 level card, and then never in the rest of the game, whether through kicking down doors, looting rooms, etc, etc, did I ever see a monster, and so i spent the whole game drawing and discarding cards, occasionally making someone else's life moderately more interesting. I did play again and fare better, but I like my fluff games a little more fluffy - I am too easily beguiled into thinking it should be a real game and not a parody of one.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 03:11:12 pm »

This sounds like a perfect crowd for that game "This has not been playtested" or whatever it is called.

We Didn't Playtest This At All is a wonderful game and for my money beats out "random" games like Fluxx, Munchkin, and Killer Bunnies. Playtest moves a lot faster and takes the concept of constantly shifting objectives to the extreme. You can rapidly get into these bizarre scenarios where people are not allowed to say any pronouns or start removing articles of clothing to set up for their next card.

Dominion players will appreciate the ruleset which is essentially, everybody gets two cards. On your turn you draw a card and play a card. If you are the only player who hasn't lost then you win. That's it. Everything else is on the cards.

I've also got We Didn't Play This Either, which is a standalone expansion (think Dominion: Intrigue) that enhances the basic card set nicely. There's also the Chaos pack, which is a small set of cards (15 I think) that each have a variant rule. The recommended way to play with it is to shuffle it and put one or two cards into play before starting. I think most of what it does is only interesting if you've already played the game a fair bit, but it also adds some neat wrinkles.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:23:23 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.