Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Book Recommendations  (Read 8895 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Book Recommendations
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:13:53 pm »
+2

Twice a year, Ithaca has a massive used book sale. I'm talking hundreds of thousands of books in a huge warehouse. I'm looking for book recommendations. I particularly like sci-fi/fantasy but I still enjoy other genres.

Anyway, as a rule of thumb for recommendations, the really high profile and popular books (e.g. asoiaf) get bought out super quick, plus I already know about them so there's no need to recommend. Really obscure books will probably also not be there (but they might, who knows). The sweet spot is somewhat popular but not super obscure books/authors.

Anyway, what should I keep an eye out for this time around?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Book Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:43:16 pm »

Caves of Steel by Asimov has always been special to me; it was one of the first books I ever read as a kid.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:07:19 pm »
+1

I read "A Scanner Darkly" by Philip K. Dick a few weeks ago. Really, really good. Light science fiction.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:14:47 pm »

Catch-22 (Joseph Heller), We The Living (Ayn Rand) or any of the John Carter books (Edgar Rice Burroughs).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 05:18:25 pm »

For sci-fi switchedfromstarcraft recommended The Sparrow to me and I really enjoyed it. Like Robz said anything by Philip K. Dick, or Kurt Vonnegut as well, is worth reading.

For none sci-fi:

Recent really good reads were Battle Royale, Black Swan Green, by the same author of Cloud Atlas, Big Rock Candy Mountain and the Buru Quartent.

PPE: Catch-22 is my favorite book of all time, great suggestion from werothegreat, although we disagree a bit about the John Carter books, but that has been discussed elsewhere in this forum.  ;)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 11:34:52 pm »
+1

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
It's my favorite book. If you love sci-fi and fantasy you'll find HHGTTG hilarious (Book came before that awful movie, because some people don't know)

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

The Stars, LIke Dust by Isaac Asimov
It's short and quite good.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:01:37 am »

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis holds a very special place in my heart.  And is awesome and funny and maudlin at the same time.  Oh, and it's a comedy of errors that runs through time.

Most of Kim Stanley Robinson's work, but especially the Mars series (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars).

Just about anything that says Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Gaiman, or Pratchett on the cover.  Especially recommended is Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens.

Also Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.  Great book.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 02:07:14 am »
+1

Anythign Murakami.  anything by Haruki Murakami is just great.

But if you can't find him, and pick up Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami, that's also good.  Weird as all get-up, but good.  Actually, Haruki Murakami's books are also mostly weird. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 03:40:20 am »

I think Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson falls into that sweet spot you mentioned.  It is somewhat popular but it is not so big as Game of Thrones.  This is what I consider to be the main set of 10, but there are many more books in the universe.  There are several substantial entries by Ian Esslemont, there are novellas, and it looks like Erikson has started on a new Malazan trilogy.  I'm not fully caught up on books outside of that core 10.

It's high fantasy -- large cast, large well-developed world, rich mythology, world-changing events.  The main reason I love the series is that the mythology is strong and it feels fresh, and it gets revealed to the reader in a very organic fashion.  I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I have not yet read LotR.  I tried it once years back but I couldn't get through the early chapters where it just felt like reading dry history.  The Malazan books never did that -- they just drop you into conflict and the mythology gets filled in as you go.  The way that magic works and how all the gods are related (and also, how the pantheon changes over time) is quite engrossing.

The first book is entitled Gardens of the Moon.

But that's actually not even my favourite series right now.  My current favourite is Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky.  It will also be a 10 novel series; 8 have been published and the 9th should be coming out this summer.

The reason I LOVE this series is that it doesn't use the usual fantasy tropes.  There aren't any elves or orcs or dragons.  Instead, Tchaikovsky creates something that feels completely new (though he inevitably does draw on traditional stuff).  Instead of the usual fantasy races, he creates "kinden".  These are races of people that take their name from bugs.  They also typically develop certain abilities or characteristics based on their totem animal (and note: this is not considered magical at all).  These abilities are typically called "Art".  People of the same kinden don't even all share the same Art, just like how different people in real life may be more athletic or have different talents.

As one particularly interesting example, Ant kinden people have one very notable trait.  At a young age, Ants develop Art that grants them a mind-link with others of their city-state.  That means they are in constant telepathic communication with their fellows.  This gives them an interesting advantage in battle, and they are indeed a people of war... often fighting against foreign Ant cities.

It is extremely delightful when a new kinden is introduced in the story and we as readers learn about their unique Arts and how they fit into the history of this world.

But there is more!  Kinden in the world are generally divided between the Apt and the Inapt.  The apt have no magic (and in fact, they do not believe in magic, regarding such things as superstition and myth) but are technologically capable.  At the start of the series they use things like crossbows.  The inapt, on the other hand, have the potential for magic but are completely incapable of using or even understanding mechanical devices.  They once ruled the world, but the Apt have since overthrown them; as a result, magic is rare.

While world building like this is really interesting, the author is also skilled enough to use this as a solid foundation to tell compelling stories.  I would go on, but it's tough without giving too much away.

As a bonus, the author has a blog that includes numerous short stories set in the world.  I've been going through them recently.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 03:46:38 am »

Very nice; i'm going to look into both of these sometime.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:48:45 am »

The first book of Shadows of the Apt is entitled "Empire in Black and Gold".

And for the record, the people are still people.  They are not weird bug people... for the most part.  They are more like "spirit animals", if you will. :P

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 04:46:33 am »

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin.

A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes.

Almost anything by Dianna Wynne Jones.  The Chrestomanci books, Deep Secret and The Merlin Conspiracy if you want specific recommendations.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 02:47:15 pm »

The merlin conspiracy was alright, but there were far too many spelling errors. I was like, did this book even have an editor?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 05:47:10 pm »

I'm going to recommend you to look for The Long Ships by Frans G Bengtsson. It's a viking story that was written for the sole purpose of it being enjoyable for the reader. It is probably among the best books I've read. I don't know anything about the English translation as I've only read it in Swedish. But I know it's out there, and I've heard that people have liked the English version.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 04:58:51 am »

But if you can't find him, and pick up Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami, that's also good.  Weird as all get-up, but good.  Actually, Haruki Murakami's books are also mostly weird.

I've read 75% of Murakami Haruki's books.  I met him once, before I cared about his stuff...hilariously, he told me his name and I was like "hey, you have the same name as that famous author."  He looked me in the eye, with a death glare, and replied, "I am the famous author." 

That all happened in Japanese, in front of a bunch of people who knew who he was, so it was extra hilarious.

Did Murakami Ryu write "Vibrator"?  That's a good book.

Anyway, for my recommendation, buy Kokoro by Soseki Natsume (flip the name for books in English).  If you can't find it, I Am A Cat by the same author is worthwhile.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 12:13:20 pm »

Caves of Steel by Asimov has always been special to me; it was one of the first books I ever read as a kid.

I recently read the whole 14 book set that Asimov later called the "foundation series".  Overall it was pretty good; I definitely suggest reading them in publication order rather than the internal chronological order that he suggested in 1988.  Basically there are two groups -- the 50's "pulp" novels and then his return to the series in the 80's and 90's.  Overall I would have to say I liked the 50's group better, but it is interesting seeing him try to combine all the books into a single story by the end.  It's just too bad he never wrote anything that took place after Foundation and Earth.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 12:56:17 pm »

I recently read the whole 14 book set that Asimov later called the "foundation series".  Overall it was pretty good; I definitely suggest reading them in publication order rather than the internal chronological order that he suggested in 1988.  Basically there are two groups -- the 50's "pulp" novels and then his return to the series in the 80's and 90's.  Overall I would have to say I liked the 50's group better, but it is interesting seeing him try to combine all the books into a single story by the end.  It's just too bad he never wrote anything that took place after Foundation and Earth.

I may be mistaken, but some of the final Foundation books weren't even written by Asimov. They may not be included in these 14 books, but it's the first three that are really good. The other ones are fine, but not of the same caliber as the initial ones.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 02:15:01 pm »

I've read 75% of Murakami Haruki's books.  I met him once, before I cared about his stuff...hilariously, he told me his name and I was like "hey, you have the same name as that famous author."  He looked me in the eye, with a death glare, and replied, "I am the famous author." 

That all happened in Japanese, in front of a bunch of people who knew who he was, so it was extra hilarious.

Anyway, for my recommendation, buy Kokoro by Soseki Natsume (flip the name for books in English).  If you can't find it, I Am A Cat by the same author is worthwhile.
Dude, that is 120% awesome!  No, Murakami Ryu didn't write Vibrator; he maybe is best known for "Audition" which also was turned into a movie.  But that's too gruesome for my tastes.  Or "Almost Transparent Blue" which won the Akutagawa prize.  I'm also going to check up on Soseki Natsume, I really enjoy Japanese literature, it has this...really...gosh, I'm searching for the right word, but I'm not finding it, which surprises me greatly...maybe "surreal" or "dystopian", or "personal" element to it.  It's very moving, for sure.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 04:01:31 pm »

I may be mistaken, but some of the final Foundation books weren't even written by Asimov. They may not be included in these 14 books, but it's the first three that are really good. The other ones are fine, but not of the same caliber as the initial ones.

There were, I think, only three written by others, and they aren't counted in the 14.  There are four robot novels, three empire novels, and seven Foundation novels.

And I strongly disagree on quality; the early novels are shorter, less thoroughly plotted, and less complex.  Oh, and generally have flat characters, and the only female characters are one dimensional set pieces if they exist.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 04:08:11 pm »
+1

I thought the Foundation trilogy was the best, and that Foundation (the first book) in particular was the best of those. 

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 05:25:47 pm »

Dude, that is 120% awesome!  No, Murakami Ryu didn't write Vibrator; he maybe is best known for "Audition" which also was turned into a movie.  But that's too gruesome for my tastes.  Or "Almost Transparent Blue" which won the Akutagawa prize.  I'm also going to check up on Soseki Natsume, I really enjoy Japanese literature, it has this...really...gosh, I'm searching for the right word, but I'm not finding it, which surprises me greatly...maybe "surreal" or "dystopian", or "personal" element to it.  It's very moving, for sure.

Soseki is old school, but amazing and moving.  Have you read Never Let Me Go?  It's modern Japanese, recently made into a movie.  That's dystopian for sure.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 05:33:01 pm »

Have you read Never Let Me Go?  It's modern Japanese, recently made into a movie.  That's dystopian for sure.
Is this a good time to confess that I always confuse Haruki Murakami with Kazuo Ishiguro? :(  I like the latter much better.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 05:44:59 pm »

Have you read Never Let Me Go?  It's modern Japanese, recently made into a movie.  That's dystopian for sure.
Is this a good time to confess that I always confuse Haruki Murakami with Kazuo Ishiguro? :(  I like the latter much better.

Where's the "that's racist" gif when you need it?  :)

Murakami can be an acquired taste.  Did you read Norwegian Wood?  I recommend that always as one's first foray into his world.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 06:43:06 pm »

I can only suggest comic books, if that's of any help.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 09:09:25 pm »

There were, I think, only three written by others, and they aren't counted in the 14.  There are four robot novels, three empire novels, and seven Foundation novels.

And I strongly disagree on quality; the early novels are shorter, less thoroughly plotted, and less complex.  Oh, and generally have flat characters, and the only female characters are one dimensional set pieces if they exist.

I liked those books because I found they were less about the characters and more about the idea of the Foundation. It's a greater picture, not really about the people.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 20 queries.