Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hey look, Scout!  (Read 2261 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Hey look, Scout!
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:33:56 pm »

Here's an example where scout was one of the most useful cards on the board.  In combination with Apothecary, it does quite well.  I probably could have grabbed a baron as well though

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.51396561e4b02905fc72b8b1.1367710297300.txt

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
Re: Hey look, Scout!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:23:47 am »

While Scout might have been useful to your strategy, I refuse to believe any strategy there with a Scout bought that early could have beaten a well played Chapel deck given the presence of Courtyard, Laboratory, Market and Festival on the board. That screams engine that doesn't need Scout, even 3-player.

The problem with Scout isn't that it isn't useful. It's that its top uses nearly always can be beaten by other cards.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:45:12 am »

I actually bought scout the other day.  I was greening, had barely any trashing, and had a few tunnels as well.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:27:47 pm »
+1

I recently played a game where my winning deck had a Scout in it.

Because I played Rogue on my opponent, flipping a Silver and a Scout, he of course trashed the Scout, and a later playing of Rogue gained me that Scout from the trash.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 02:08:11 pm »

I recently played a game where my winning deck had a Scout in it.

Because I played Rogue on my opponent, flipping a Silver and a Scout, he of course trashed the Scout, and a later playing of Rogue gained me that Scout from the trash.
Hey that was me!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 02:10:14 pm »

While Scout might have been useful to your strategy, I refuse to believe any strategy there with a Scout bought that early could have beaten a well played Chapel deck given the presence of Courtyard, Laboratory, Market and Festival on the board. That screams engine that doesn't need Scout, even 3-player.

I've played so many games with a similar engine that it has become boring.  So I wanted to do something else, and I did, successfully.  Although it doesn't look like my opponents really knew what they were doing...  They didn't get their chapels until turns 6 and 7... which seems far too late.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 04:17:20 pm »
+1

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:16:18 pm »

I've played so many games with a similar engine that it has become boring.  So I wanted to do something else, and I did, successfully.  Although it doesn't look like my opponents really knew what they were doing...  They didn't get their chapels until turns 6 and 7... which seems far too late.

I know the feeling. The Scout was well-implemented for what you did. For something different I might have tried something with Festival/Market (extra buys) and Philosopher's Stone (just for fun as I know that doesn't win here unless everyone doesn't know what they're doing).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.