Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Junk Dealer, missing strategy article  (Read 10880 times)

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
Junk Dealer, missing strategy article
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:40:25 am »
+7

NEW TRY FOR AN ARTICLE:

Trashing is mostly strong - even more with Dark Ages on-trash-abilities. A card like Lookout is correctly priced at $3, though it trashes "in the dark" - a card saying  "+1action, +1card, trash a card" is probably even better and would cost at least $3, too.
The latter doesn't exist in Dominion, but there are two 5$ versions, namely Junk Dealer and Upgrade. Upgrade additionally gains a card costing exactly 1 more than the trashed card, while Junk Dealer includes a vanilla peddler. Thus, buying JD provides two cards roughly worth $3 and $4 for the price of 5$. Is it too cheap?

The downsides

Cost/value relation isn't linear: $3+$4 is far from $7, and sometimes $3+$4 is even less than $5. In other words, the major downside of Junk Dealer is its opportunity costs: many cards at the same price give more specific advantages, changing the nature of the game, e.g. cursers.
The second downside: trashing isn't optional. This leads to typical problems of mandatory trashers: If your opponent plays discard attacks, you don't know what to keep in hand; if you are close to the end, your good-card/bad-card ratio increases and trashing becomes less useful; and it antisynergizes with other trashers, as your JD will soon lack of target. Just take note of two exceptions:
- you can trash-for-benefit Junk Dealers in the late game
- if you use Steward/Count as a trasher only a single time, there is enough junk left for JD

Synergy of trashing and peddling

Now that we have seen why Junk Dealers two abilities are sometimes less than the sum of their added value, the question remains when cantrip trashing and peddling work together at their best. Both lead to higher average buying power, therefore Junk Dealer boosts your probability to reach $5 or $6 every turn. This makes it most worthy if you want to build up an engine with expensive components, especially because trashing is crucial in engine building. This even includes buying a single JD before buying a couple of minions, laboratories or stables.
Another interesting option is to boost mediocre BM-strategies. JD itself is a lousy BM-enabler, but being nonterminal, it can be combined with nondrawing terminals bought at a 3-4-start, some examples: While BM-Swindler or BM-Scavenger are rather weak strategies on their own, adding a Junk Deaker turns both into a viable challenge.

Synergies
On-trash-abilities
Expensive engine components

Antisynergies
Opponents hand-reducers
Other trashers (excluding tfb)

FIRST VERSION

Hi, i am new on this forum, and i haven't found an article about Junk Dealer, though it's one of my favourite cards. So i tried to write one myself, do with it whatever you want to ;) I am interested in your opinions about it. By the way, i apologize if you find mistakes or strange phrases - i am not a native speaker.

JUNK DEALER

Maybe,  this powerful card is so severely underrated because of the art on it: look at this poor, ugly guy! He has to sell trash to get a single buck! Doesn't look sexy at all. Though, it is.

Why is this card so strong?

Simply put, because nonterminal trashing is strong. Cantrip trashing is even stronger; and additionally, you get a coin for it. What do you want more? Maybe, you'll want some impressing abilities for 5$, but likewise with JackOfAllTrades, it's the sum of four mediocre advantages which turns out to be strong.
Now, this time, Junk Dealer is nonterminal, and like all nonterminals, it only really shines if there are other cards in game you can cooperate with. Of course, the first thing coming to mind is its abilty to enable engines: You can thin your deck, but neither will Junk Dealer slowdown your economy nor is it terminal. But it can do more than this:

Assisting Cursers and Looters

Clearly, reliable Junk Attacks remain the strongest cards in the game, and if you let your opponent give you ten ruins or curses just to clean them out with Junk Dealer, you'll end up in big trouble. You need one of those cursers – or maybe two of them?

If we are talking about chainable Cultists or Familiars, you should get a second one. Maybe this also holds with Mountebank, as they keep on junking after the curses are out, and the risk of a collision is clearly lower than with two witches due to spamming coppers and lack of card-drawing. In a game with IGG's, you should buy some copies of them until your opponent gave you enough targets (curses) for buying a junk dealer; maybe, if you have three or four, the chance is high enough to prefer the junk dealer.

The other cursers and looters– witch, young witch, sea hag and Marauder – should probably be bought only once due to the risk of terminal collision.

And, here we go – after you have bought your curser(s), Junk Dealer will be your best friend. In a game with mountebank or IGGs, you might even get a second one because of all those nasty coppers.

Assisting strong nonterminals

One might question the necessity of a Junk Dealer due to the high opportunity cost: Isn't it better to go with Hunting Parties, Minions or Labs? Probably yes - if you weren't allowed to buy different 5's. But the big deal is to get the best of both worlds:

If you buy a junk dealer first, then starting the hunting party, both cards will come up more often and  become a devastating engine. Even better is the combo "first a junk dealer, then go minions". Just have a look at the well-known combo Minion – Loan. Similarly, a junk dealer can clean out coppers without being terminal; and it has two more synergic abilities: it trashes estates/shelters, and it can decrease your hand size.
Both together compensate sufficiently for the opportunity cost of 1 Minion.
Now, how does it work with labs? These one have "+card" instead of "+coin, trash a card", which is clearly weaker at the beginning of a game and stronger in the end. So, just start with junk dealer and buy labs afterwards, and you'll be fine.

A big money approach

We all know about the strength of Masquerade-BigMoney. In the beginning of the game, Junk Dealer does a very similar thing: If we set aside funny card-passing, it gives you +1coin instead of +1card, which isn't weaker in the first turns.

Later on, the additional card will outclass the extra-coin; and furthermore, if in the late game all your cards are strong, junk dealer can be a dead card due to mandatory trashing. Thus, simply going BM will be weaker than with Masquerade.

So, the question is: can these weaknesses be compensated by being nonterminal? I think, on many boards, the answer is "yes". If you don't get junk dealer with a 2-5-opening, you might want to start silver+terminal. The latter one doesn't need to be as strong as a swindler or a sea hag; say, a cutpurse or even a navigator might do it as well. All these increase your chances to get $5 in round 3 or 4.
Later on, you might want to buy a second terminal; having a bigger deck, the risk of collision decreases, and it is even 33% lower than with masquerade, as junk dealer can't draw dead other cards.

Furthermore, some cantrips might be nice-to-have. Ahead of all, the synergy with market square should be mentioned here. Just don't overdo buying actions, remember that we are talking about a big money approach - so don't come up with Villages or gainers, you will just be wasting your time.

Summed up, with reasonable sidewings, i think JunkDealer-BM might be stronger than Masquerade-BM.

Cooperating with other trashers

Junk Dealer works fine with the remodel family. While at the beginning, deck tuning will be fast, later on you can trash-for-benefit your junk dealer.
It also cooperates in a nice way with flexible trashers: Its a good idea to use a Steward as trasher only a single time and let junk dealer do the rest. The same holds for Count.

Weaker trashers, say a loan or a lookout, should simply be ignored when junk dealer is out; merely, you might skip it compared to other strong trashers, e.g. chapel or counterfeit. Depends on the kingdom ... as it always does.

Antisynergy with discarders

The best reason to skip junk dealer are strong discard attacks.
First, if you get attacked, you have a difficult choice: Keeping the junk dealer with two good cards is risky, as you might have to trash one of these if your drawn card is even better. Keeping Junk Dealer with a good and a bad card to trash might end up silly as well, if your next card doesn't help you. Maybe the best thing to do is keeping the three strongest cards and discard the Junk Dealer; but of course, this is not why you have bought it.
Second,  discard attacks like margrave, Torturer or Ghost Ship are simply stronger.
And third, as all of the above draw cards, Junk Dealer might get drawn dead, which is no good fundament for seminal cooperation.

Other reasons to skip junk dealer

Better 5$-cards which don't need a junk dealers assistance. But, beside the already-mentioned, there aren't many. Clearly wharf, probably apprentice. Vault also doesn't work with Junk Dealer, but it's hard to say which is better.

In addition, it is weak in terminal draw-big money and garden games. And dukes don't like it when copper gets cleared out. Though, on many boards these strategies can be topped by a different approach which includes junk dealer.

Maybe the most common reason to buy other things is, that drawing exactly five bucks comes up too late. Trashers need to work early, and especially junk dealer doesn't like the endgame when lack of trashable cards make it unplayable.
And if you plan to go Junk Dealer but find  $6, Gold might often be the better deal.

And of course, you will rarely need a second one (perhaps, in Mountebank games, you do).

Summary

Junk Dealer is good for BM and engine-building, and a helpful assistance in games with Junk-Attacks. It is weak in Terminal-Draw-BM and against discard attacks.

Synergies
Market Square
Good components for engines or nondrawing BigMoney

Antisynergies
Discard attacks
Wharf

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:56:09 am by terminalCopper »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Junk Dealer, missing strategy article
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:47:33 am »
+2

Needs a comparison with its main counterpart: Upgrade.

Upgrade can get some Silvers out of your Estates while Junk Dealer gives a coin for trashing Coppers.
Hard to say which is better, but I generally like Junk Dealer at least as much as Upgrade.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 05:03:37 am »

Upgrade can get some Silvers out of your Estates while Junk Dealer gives a coin for trashing Coppers.
Hard to say which is better, but I generally like Junk Dealer at least as much as Upgrade.
Simulator says Upgrade BM is 3% better than Junk Dealer BM.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 05:13:36 am »
+2

Simulator says Upgrade BM is 3% better than Junk Dealer BM.
Well, BM isn't the type of game in which these cards are the most useful. :D
But it's the early Silver thing I'm sure, how about with Shelters?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:23:33 am »
+1

So off the top of my head:

- If I were getting cursed, I would prefer JD over Upgrade, but it's not such a big deal.
- In Shelters games, I would prefer JD over Upgrade, because getting $2s instead of $3s kind of blows.
- In engine games with gainers, cost reducers, and/or +buy, I would prefer Upgrade over JD because Upgrade can just do more interesting stuff.
- In vanilla games, I would prefer Upgrade over JD because of Estate -> Silver.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 05:30:54 am »

I think I don't like the part with the Cursers and terminals, in the sense of I think it's too long.  It's important and should be said that as a non-terminal, Junk Dealer does not conflict with terminals and therefore supports them, but I don't think it's necessary how exactly to play with which curser...

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 05:53:47 am »
+3

Quote from: terminalCopper
The other cursers and looters– witch, young witch, sea hag and Marauder – should probably be bought only once due to the risk of terminal collision.

And, here we go – after you have bought your curser(s), Junk Dealer will be your best friend. In a game with mountebank or IGGs, you might even get a second one because of all those nasty coppers.

I actually need to question your premise already. There are more games where you want a 2nd witch than games where you want one only. Even a 2nd sea hag is not that rare. And then the question is, whether you really want to go back to cleaning your deck. In most games, money would be the way to go, I believe. The question is, whether junk dealer is a strong enough trasher to quickly clean your deck + whether there is some engine or combo available making cleaning worthwhile. In IGG games, JD conflicts with IGG and duchies, so I'd definitely skip JD in a classic IGG/duchy rush.

The best reason to skip junk dealer are strong discard attacks.
First, if you get attacked, you have a difficult choice: Keeping the junk dealer with two good cards is risky, as you might have to trash one of these if your drawn card is even better. Keeping Junk Dealer with a good and a bad card to trash might end up silly as well, if your next card doesn't help you. Maybe the best thing to do is keeping the three strongest cards and discard the Junk Dealer; but of course, this is not why you have bought it.
Second,  discard attacks like margrave, Torturer or Ghost Ship are simply stronger.
And third, as all of the above draw cards, Junk Dealer might get drawn dead, which is no good fundament for seminal cooperation.

This is true. However, torturer is not necessarily a discard attack. In this case, you may be well off just taking the curse and trash it with JD afterwards (unless your opponent is going to KC 2 more torturers or he's going to play militia afterwards). With ghost ship, you reduce handsize, but you don't discard, so you know exactly which card you'll draw (unless your opponent mingles with your drawing pile after you've put them back).

Maybe the most common reason to buy other things is, that drawing exactly five bucks comes up too late. Trashers need to work early, and especially junk dealer doesn't like the endgame when lack of trashable cards make it unplayable.

Now that contradicts your advise for getting them after having got curser(s) a little, right?

And of course, you will rarely need a second one (perhaps, in Mountebank games, you do).

I think one wants to get a 2nd JD more than just rarely. Especially when there is tfb. But even if not, there will be games where you want to get rid of your estates and coppers really quickly. An example could be grand market games, a 2nd JD even for 6$ (including coppers) may be worth it. There are 10 junk cards at the beginning, so if you can reduce the number of turns you have to deal with them from 10 to ~6, that's a great deal.

Otherwise, this is a very nice first post. ;-)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:24:24 am »
+1

Junk dealer seems like a very simple card. It removes one card from your hand and deck giving you 1 coin for it. This is very similar to an oasis. Put together with other simple income cards they are likely to provide 4-6 coin hands so good kingdom cards at that price range will suit the junk dealer. As a deck improves the junk dealer becomes more likely to trash coppers for no net income so a player should ideally know whether copper trashing has some tangible benefit for that deck. In the end game it is highly likely that the junk dealer is providing no advantage or could even be a disadvantage if played.

As with most trashers it benefits from big had sizes (for target choice) and it needs repeated play to change the nature of a deck. Taking two junk dealers will help speed up deck cycling but may eventually leave you a poor choice of cards to trash. Junk dealers can be victims of their own success.

Junk dealer is good for getting the 'on trash' benefits from other dark ages cards. It provides an extra action to use any +card benefits. In the endgame both the junk dealer and the trashed card may provide little value doing anything else.

"Summed up, with reasonable sidewings, i think JunkDealer-BM might be stronger than Masquerade-BM."

I don't see junk dealer as a good enabler for a money deck. It can however create a better deck for other kingdom cards to work with. I don't see a specific conflict with wharf, vault, or other drawing cards. It just fits a general rule that slow trashing is often weaker than treasure accumulation for simple money decks.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:11:24 am »

Honestly, I am having a tough time figuring out situations where JD will play completely differently from Upgrade. I think they will play more or less the same, with JD being a slightly worse choice on a 5/2 open on a money board.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 10:18:23 am »
+1

Honestly, I am having a tough time figuring out situations where JD will play completely differently from Upgrade. I think they will play more or less the same, with JD being a slightly worse choice on a 5/2 open on a money board.
That's probably because they are not likely to appear in a kingdom together.
If you would have wanted Upgrade and JD is available, you're often happy to take JD and vice versa.

The comparison with Oasis is a good one because for the hand in which you play them they act pretty similar (barring Tunnel, etc. etc.)
They both leave you with one less card and 1 coin in return, but removing an Estate is apparently $2 better than discarding it.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 10:55:30 am »
+1

Honestly, I am having a tough time figuring out situations where JD will play completely differently from Upgrade.

Really? This is a bit like saying that remodel plays like a bishop.

Junk dealer is a coin provider and upgrade is a card gainer. An early hand of coppers and estates with a junk dealer is likely to give 4-5 coins. An upgrade in a similar hand will gain a 3 cost card with 3-4 coins to spend. This strategy difference continues throughout the game and suggests that junk dealers need to work with +buys to create an engine of low cost cards. Upgrades generally negate the need for +buy.

As with develop and procession, upgrades can provide great benefit when trashing cards of moderate worth to gain valuable cards. It is feature of upgrades that they can trash each other for gold and this allows strategies that are unique to upgrade. Junk dealers give the same coin return no matter what they trash so are best working on worthless cards.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:57:57 am by DG »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 11:41:14 am »

I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Consider first a scenario where there is cursing. In both cases you'd probably pick up several JDs or Upgrades no matter what, even if JD is better for the deck.

Next consider a typical engine-building scenario. Yes, Upgrade is better when it comes to trashing Estate -> $3, but you'll probably use JD in the same context if you had to. Or, JD yields more valuable hands on average, but if you need to trash, you'll still use Upgrade if you had to.

Focusing on the differences between these cards doesn't seem very practically useful to me because that sort of advice is really only useful when you have to choose between the two. In most games, you don't have the choice. So the question is basically, "when would I pick up Junk Dealer," or "when would I pick up Upgrade." And really, if you want to pick up one of them, it seems to me that you'd almost always want to pick up the other given no choice.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 01:50:27 pm »

The cards can play similarly but I see a strategy article as exactly the place to look deeper into the detail. The junk dealer is actually a simple card and comparing it to a complex card such as upgrade is mostly going to result in talk about upgrades.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 05:36:41 am »

Thanks for feedback! Due to many good ideas, I think, one should do the following adjustments in an article:

• reduction of "synergy with cursers", leaving some questions open
  • money/action-hybrid-approach instead of big-money-approach
  • comparison to Upgrade
  • short extra section for tfb/double JD
  • more examples of on-trashing-abilities
  • corrected details (Ghost Ship, IGGs..)

I will be on vacation till Whit Tuesday, if no one else does, i will try it then.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 02:03:12 pm »

My problem with Junk Dealer is that it's terrible when you draw something and don't want to trash any of the cards in your end: basically, towards the end of the game or with an unlucky draw early. Perhaps you just shouldn't play it anymore, like lookout, but at least with Upgrade there's a chance of turning your $4 into a Duchy or a $5 into a Fairgrounds or something like that. JD can't be used on anything but shelters, estates, coppers, curses, or ruins.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 05:23:45 pm »
+2

My problem with Junk Dealer is that it's terrible when you draw something and don't want to trash any of the cards in your end: basically, towards the end of the game or with an unlucky draw early. Perhaps you just shouldn't play it anymore, like lookout, but at least with Upgrade there's a chance of turning your $4 into a Duchy or a $5 into a Fairgrounds or something like that. JD can't be used on anything but shelters, estates, coppers, curses, or ruins.
And collided terminals.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 06:14:36 pm »

Yes, but you get very little value out of that. (unless you're at $7, etc.) At least with collided terminals and Upgrade, you can get something of use out of it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 06:11:02 am »

Well, JD is obviously an early game card whereas Upgrade can be useful right until the end. It's true that they're not so similar if you focus on the details.

But case in point is this: In a game with engine potential, if either JD or Upgrade is available, you can swap them out for the other without it changing your strategy all that much.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 01:48:57 pm »

Well, JD is obviously an early game card whereas Upgrade can be useful right until the end. It's true that they're not so similar if you focus on the details.

But case in point is this: In a game with engine potential, if either JD or Upgrade is available, you can swap them out for the other without it changing your strategy all that much.
Well, usually. But there are those cases where you get like 6 upgrades and turn them into GMs later, whereas you almost never want so many junk dealers.
Generally, yes, they play fairly similarly, but those subtle differences can be enough on any given board to tip you one way or the other - most of the time they won't, but I don't think it's a negligible amount of time that they will.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 05:42:01 pm »
+2

Well, usually. But there are those cases where you get like 6 upgrades and turn them into GMs later, whereas you almost never want so many junk dealers.
Generally, yes, they play fairly similarly, but those subtle differences can be enough on any given board to tip you one way or the other - most of the time they won't, but I don't think it's a negligible amount of time that they will.

This is indeed a far too simplified view. Just think about wishing wells where you upgrade estates into wishing wells for lab like chains in the beginning. Or menagerie setups where you can get 3 menageries from your estates. More generalised: if there is an engine component for 3$, upgrade is hugely better than JD. And this is not too rare a case, imho.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 09:21:56 pm »

More generalised: if there is an engine component for 3$, upgrade is hugely better than JD.

(or for $2, if it's a Shelters game)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 09:33:41 pm »

And this is not too rare a case, imho.
If they are both on the board at the same time, which they aren't often. And JDing the estate might push you to $4, and there is also often $4 engine components.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 05:31:57 am »

And this is not too rare a case, imho.
If they are both on the board at the same time, which they aren't often. And JDing the estate might push you to $4, and there is also often $4 engine components.

That was a general observation, not just a comparison of the case where JD and upgrade are in the setup. I was saying that there are more than just rare cases where I would choose upgrade over JD if I were to wish for one of them. If JD pushes me to 4$, well, then I would've had 3$, otherwise. And if the 3$ card is useful for me, I'd happily gain another one of them instead of just one card. Upgrade lets me gain stuff along trashing, it's the same reason why ironworks is nice for engines with cheap (3-4$) engine components.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 06:19:50 am »
+1

Well, the point I was trying to make was just: Given 9 kingdom cards, you would likely pursue the same strategy with Upgrade as a 10th card as with Junk Dealer as the tenth. Of course the details of the strategy would be different, but you wouldn't be: Ooh, it's just JD instead of Upgrade, guess I have to go with BM now!

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 07:27:35 am »

I see Junk Dealer compared with Upgrade and Oasis. How about a comparison with Lookout? In both cases you'll have four cards and one action left in hand. Junk Dealer gives you +1 coin, which may in itself barely justify a $2 markup. Lookout gives you less choice for the cards you may trash, and leaves you in the dark whether it is actually a smart move to go for the card before you play it, but gives you a bit more cycling in return. Junk Dealer would be better in draw-heavy decks where you get to choose from a big hand, but not those draw-heavy decks where trashing is not worth the while to begin with.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.