Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Terminology  (Read 3215 times)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Terminology
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:08:09 am »

I'm a sucker for terminology. A good word can add so much to a game; Innovation could have just had abilities, but it has dogmas, and that's cool. Ideally a term adds flavor to a game while also being unambiguous within the game, and also being intuitive to a non-player of the game.

So here's where I'm stuck. I'm co-designing a board game. It's as of yet unannounced, and liscensed with an existing IP, so I'm only going to speak in somewhat general terms, but I'm stuck trying to come up with a term.

Some context: this game is a grid-based tactical miniatures game. On a units turn, they get a number of action points that are spent on various actions, but not the same action twice in a turn. One of the actions a unit can take is "move", which allows the unit to move a number of spaces equal to its movement value (varies from unit to unit and turn to turn, but the average units average move is 4 to 5 spaces, and no movement value is greater than 6).

Another action, the one I'm trying to come up with a name for, allows a unit to move up to two spaces regardless of their move value. Originally, this was only useful for moving additional spaces when the unit had already "move"d this turn, since you can't repeat actions, and so we were calling this action "sprint". As the game fleshed out, though, we differentiated this action further by allowing it to move up to two spaces, ignoring any terrain that would hinder movement, like rough terrain, or climbing over a low wall. This was great mechanically, but the problem is that it doesn't feel like "sprint"ing at all, since often units would be assigned this action without being assigned the "move" action first.

It's important mechanically that these actions do what they do, so, for instance, making "move"ing be a prerequisite for "sprint"ing isn't an option. Another thing I should note is that "sprint"ing only let's you avoid effects that make moving into a space more difficult; it doesn't let you avoid any negative repercussions of being in that space. So if a space is full of caltrops, or on fire, "sprint"ing doesn't let you ignore that.

Another note -- "push" has been suggested previously (in the "push it to the limit" sense), but "push" is already defined in this game as one unit moving another unit away from itself.

Anyone have any ideas on a word that would be thematically approporiate and fairly intuitive? I'm stuck.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
Re: Terminology
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:44:29 am »
+1

Full move and partial move?

Move and swift move?

Move and "ignore terrain"?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:53:05 am »

I forgot to mention it, but the name for each other action in the game is a single word, so ideally this one would be also. You can see why I'm having issue.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:53:16 am »
+1

Reposition, jump, drive, reach, stride?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:03:14 am »

Depending on wether or not there's magic involved: Blink

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:04:42 am »
+1

March?

Breach?

Charge?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 09:06:05 am »
+1

In D&D 4th Edition, there is a similar concept where you "shift" a number of squares. These are in addition to (or in lieu of) the regular move action. It doesn't sound like it'll work in your game, but I thought I'd mention it.

Damn, "push" was my first thought.

Perhaps "opportunity move"? Or "auxiliary move". Or "ancillary move".

"Exert" comes to mind, but that implies there's a cost for the additional movement. If there isn't a cost, then this could be misleading.

Since this move can overcome terrain, something along that line? "Flanking", though that implies a specific direction. "Gliding" could capture the effect of ignoring terrain, but that has a different implication as well. It could be "unhindered movement" or "unimpeded movement" or "impediment-free movement". Those are a little awkward, unfortunately. 

Possibly "charge". That implies that you need to attack at the end of it, which sounds like it's not necessary.  "Rush" and "dash" are handy, but you run into the same issue with "Sprint". 

Ooh, a thesaurus check gives me "scuttle". That may be more accurate.

I wonder if "reposition" might work. (ninja'd)
A man has no signature

Synthesizer

• Bishop
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 10:19:22 am »
+1

"sneak".

As in, sneakily move two spaces delta force/navy seal style.

Oh, how about "stealth"? "Commando"? "Scout"? "Reconnaissance"? something in that direction?

Or does the setting allow you to use "teleport"? or a variation thereof? "fly" maybe?

Synthesizer

• Bishop
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 10:23:22 am »

BTW, a less serious suggestion would be "LanceArmstrong". You would have to include injection needles, EPO ampoules and bags of blood in the components though.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 10:38:43 am »

Thanks for all the brainstorming, everyone. I'm sorry I'm not more specific about the setting, but I feel like I'm riding the line of what I can say currently. Sneak is a good word that I hadn't considered; the problem is that this action doesn't actually confer any defensive/stealth benefits -- you can still get attacked (if you move through a threatened space) during this action. The feeling I'm trying to evoke is almost a parkour kind of feeling, jumping, climbing, ducking, sliding, sidling, clambering, and so on. ("Parkour" doesn't fit the setting though; also, I don't think it's a verb?)

The problem with things like "blink" and "teleport" is that, although some units might have that capability, every unit can take this action, so it has to be something with a neutral enough name to not be specific to units with certain other capabilities.

I think the closest suggestions so far have been flank, scout, and scuttle (hah). I really like clamber, but it's not common enough to be immediately clear on what its supposed to do. Scramble is close, too, but it sounds... desperate?

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:00:36 am »

jump

This is what I would have suggested.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 11:01:56 am »

I don't think it matters if clamber is widely known or not. If it's accurate, then use it.

People who know what clamber means will appreciate the fact that the word is used. People who don't know what clamber means will learn a new word. As long as you properly define it in the rules, it won't matter what the word is. It could be yagashazam-bing-bong for all you care, as long as it's properly defined. But using an existing word that fits the definition is much nicer for the players.

Way back when LARPing was becoming popular, I learned some new words from Mind's Eye Theatre. I didn't know what "obfuscation" meant. I only knew that if I followed that path, I could move about unseen. Sure enough, that's what the word means. I also learned "alacrity" and "puissant" thanks to that game. Not knowing those words ahead of time did not diminish my enjoyment of the game or my ability to use the rules. They were properly defined, and I picked up the meaning of those words later.

So, use clamber if you want. I do prefer scuttle, and it's not just because I suggested it…well, maybe a little. But clamber sounds like a great word for what you're describing, and you may even educate a few people along the way.
A man has no signature

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:54 am »

I like jump and dash out of the ones that have been suggested.

Maybe you could get away from the "parkour" sense and move into something more direct.

How about 'bulldoze' or 'stampede'?

Oh, here's another good one too - surge!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:12:08 am by Twistedarcher »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 11:59:15 am »

Ooh, yeah, I like surge. It's like exert but without the connotation that the unit should suffer fatigue.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 01:04:30 pm »

If blink/teleport fit into the universe, maybe similar words that aren't used by other units?  Flash or flicker, maybe.

Umm...

burst, bound, leap, vault, tumble, break, spring

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 01:10:48 pm »

Tunnel

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 01:04:32 am »

If we're talking about mechanical units, then "Turbo"?

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 01:25:12 am »

how about scamper?
or slip.  Like you can slip past obstacles
Flit?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.