Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: How do you guys not get bored?  (Read 38692 times)

ooksoo

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
How do you guys not get bored?
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:31:09 am »

Seriously, how do you guys not get bored? to be the honest I'm a little bored....

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: How do you guys not get bored?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:33:39 am »
+1

Try getting a job and/or child?  ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:50:47 am »

Anime, music and Isotropic Innovation.

EDIT: This was not in the general General discussion? Oops. Well, by randomizing the kingdoms.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:49:48 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:48:00 am »

Seriously, how do you guys not get bored? to be the honest I'm a little bored....

How long have you been playing Dominion?

ooksoo

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 04:09:36 am »

4 month at most, I happen to beat my friends that taught me after the 2nd game we played, then I look for an online version, and i found goko, after I got all cards  I cant stop my self from playing it, I still go out with friends, this is where ipad come on handy, thanks to GOKO I CAN play on  IPAD whenever I'm out with friends!!!!! And I look around the citys for people who play Dominion, one night worth mention is that me and my friends were in a board game store, playing dominion, that manager come by our table said something like whoever beat me on this game will be free of charge, and I won that game by at lease 10 point, that was the 2 week after I started to play dominion. After I got the highest rating I planed to host a tournament at my area, and tonight when I'm home from the boardgame, I go play on goko as usual, and suddenly I feel so boring.... maybe I should go away from dominion for sometime now I think....

ooksoo

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 04:17:54 am »
+1

My Gf happen to like dominion too, and now all we talk about is dominion, most of my free time is about dominion now, I think I need another hobby. and to be the honest guys, I think I like this game so much into a ievel that I can't allow my self to lose a single game, if I lose a game I would be so mad and so angry at myself. To me is like I'm suppose to win the game, losing a game is an accident, is like that is not suppose to happen, this thought is driving me crazy.... I miss the time how I got so happy after winning and a game and if i lose I will read the gamelog trying to figure out what happened...

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 04:45:41 am »
+3

It sounds like a break might do you good.  It's very possible to overdose on Dominion, and stepping away for a while means you can enjoy it again when you return.

One thing that's kept the game fresh for long term players is the release of new expansions.  So you can look forward to learning more about the game after Guilds comes out.

I think I like this game so much into a ievel that I can't allow my self to lose a single game, if I lose a game I would be so mad and so angry at myself. To me is like I'm suppose to win the game, losing a game is an accident, is like that is not suppose to happen, this thought is driving me crazy....

One fix here is to play stronger opponents.  Against top players you can't expect anything like a 100% win rate, so the losses don't sting as much because they're more frequent.  Of course, you can still think about what you might have done better and work on improving it next time.

Perhaps you might like to sign up for WW's rating system, and look out for games in Outpost (or Outpost II) with people from the forums?  You should get better games that way, and might not feel the same pressure that there is to beat the next anonymous random.

ooksoo

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 05:12:05 am »

I usually play with 6k ablove players, but I think I'm going to get a break now, until the Guilds come out, Yes I heard about the Guilds!! the wait is painful. Now I'm looking for some good vacation deal with my gf, hopefully when I come back guilds is out.
WW rated system, I personally think thats kind of insulating for Goko, No matter how bad do you think the rating system is, there is still distinguished difference between a 4k and a 6k player.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:58 am »

Sometimes all you need a break.

And obsession over games can come and go. I used to play Dominion every opportunity we got together for games. Now I don't think I've brought out the Dominion set in several months. Instead, we've been playing Sentinels of the Multiverse. Even then, the last time we met, we did not touch SotM.

Right now I have no obsession (except that I really want to get a game of Galaxy Trucker going), though I wouldn't mind getting in some Dominion again. Who knows? Maybe that'll spark another obsession where we play it every time we meet.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:31:54 am »

I dunno man.  Every single game is slightly different.  I find it difficult to get bored.

At the same time, I might get in two games a day on average... so that probably helps.  Plus I'm a stay at home dad, which never, ever gets boring.  Oh, and I play other games in person, and TTA with forumites.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 08:45:41 am »
+1

Well, if it's bored by dominion, stay away from it for a while. If it's bored by being on top of the leaderboard, start playing rated games again. If it's bored by winning every game, start playing stronger opponents (Rabid, Fabian, WanderingWinder etc.).

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:48:07 am »
+12

Go play some strip dominion with your gf and her hottest friend.

If they're hesitant, promise to open Scout.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:50:47 am »
+4

And now we've found a perfectly great case when Scout is indeed the winning card.
A man has no signature

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:55:08 am »
+7

Strip Dominion takes a long time to play if you remove one article per game.  (Don't ask)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:57:25 am »
+7

Go play some strip dominion with your gf and her hottest friend.

If they're hesitant, promise to open Scout.

I was trying to figure out some sort of joke involving one's girlfriend's hottest friend being a guy and the awkwardness potentially involved, but I couldn't get it to 'funny' from 'vaguely offensive'.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 11:29:44 am »
+1

Strip Dominion takes a long time to play if you remove one article per game.  (Don't ask)

I thought that was the point of strip games, to have some significant amount of time where people are in various states of undress rather than "let's just get naked as quickly as possible." I've always thought Jenga was much appropriate than Poker, but I've never found anyone to try it out for science (not with me! What are you thinking?!)

ooksoo - you sure talk a big game. With all the controversy over the rating system's legitimacy, I'd be curious to see what some established people would think after playing with you. If you are as good as you seem to think you are then I'm sure there's a lot we can learn from you. If you weren't taking a break I'd want to play some games with you...

Don't get me wrong, if you are awesome at Dominion then you should talk about it...
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 11:38:47 am »

Try removing one article per discard attack.

Add trashing to make it really dirty.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:53:15 am »
+12

"Four Die from Heatstroke During Strip Dominion Game Featuring Governor / Council Room"

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 11:57:40 am »
+3

I was thinking that you remove an article of clothing when an opponent buys a Province.

Sure, it could lead to suboptimal play for some kingdoms, but if you're playing strip Dominion with the right people, do you really care about points?
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 12:32:51 pm »

I was thinking that you remove an article of clothing when an opponent buys a Province.

Sure, it could lead to suboptimal play for some kingdoms, but if you're playing strip Dominion with the right people, do you really care about points?
I think you should make a house rule that the points aren't even counted. The last person with clothing wins the game of Strip Dominion and that's the only game being won while you're playing Strip Dominion. Because otherwise people could have different goals and that's just going to suck when the game isn't designed for that. And then actually the suboptimal play would be optimal instead.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »

That's how I played.  Seemed to work well.  Okay, I've said too much... :-X

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 01:13:33 pm »

But what if you're going for Dukes??? 

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »
+5

InB4 move to RSP
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 01:24:00 pm »
+1

If you can find someone willing to play strip Dominion with you, they're probably willing to just strip anyway.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 02:00:56 pm »
+1

Bored with online Dominion.. first-world problems~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.