Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 83  All

Author Topic: RMM8 Innovation Inc. (Plagiarists Win!)  (Read 192210 times)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: RMM8 Innovation Inc. (Day 1 Start!)
« Reply #1050 on: July 01, 2013, 04:44:58 pm »

Nkirbit, you don't believe his plan, but you still think he's scummy? This is literally the exact same thing we saw in Shakespeare and we lynched him for...

Yeah, it is.  And it's possible that's what's going on.  There are differences, though.  In Shakespeare, he made an unpressured half claim when he said one of Sudgy, TA, and Eevee were likely scum (I believe it was those 3).  He didn't make any unpressured claim here.

I agree that it's possible that he's town here, and this is the same story.  But I'm very worried about the inconsistencies in his plan.

I agree, but the inconsistencies don't seem to be lies, just rather large jumps in logic...which mimics Shakespeare.

Yes, but in Shakespeare, the jumps were entirely in set up information.  Here's what we know about Xeiron so far:

1) He believes he has a way of stopping himself from being NKed.
2) He believes he has a way of knowing specific items are likely in the game.
3) He believes that given a couple of days, he can give us positive cop results, or something like that.
4) He believes he has a way of making sure his message reaches town and not scum
5) He believes he has a way of making sure others can execute his plan even if he dies.

He's claiming a lot of information and a lot of powers.  In Shakespeare, he was claiming exclusively about information.  I think that is a significant difference.

Okay, this makes a lot of sense. There's no way he'd possibly know all of that. Xeiron, which of these are you claiming and which aren't you claiming?

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 01, 2013, 05:05:10 pm »

Nkirbit, you don't believe his plan, but you still think he's scummy? This is literally the exact same thing we saw in Shakespeare and we lynched him for...

Yeah, it is.  And it's possible that's what's going on.  There are differences, though.  In Shakespeare, he made an unpressured half claim when he said one of Sudgy, TA, and Eevee were likely scum (I believe it was those 3).  He didn't make any unpressured claim here.

I agree that it's possible that he's town here, and this is the same story.  But I'm very worried about the inconsistencies in his plan.

I agree, but the inconsistencies don't seem to be lies, just rather large jumps in logic...which mimics Shakespeare.

Yes, but in Shakespeare, the jumps were entirely in set up information.  Here's what we know about Xeiron so far:

1) He believes he has a way of stopping himself from being NKed.
2) He believes he has a way of knowing specific items are likely in the game.
3) He believes that given a couple of days, he can give us positive cop results, or something like that.
4) He believes he has a way of making sure his message reaches town and not scum
5) He believes he has a way of making sure others can execute his plan even if he dies.

He's claiming a lot of information and a lot of powers.  In Shakespeare, he was claiming exclusively about information.  I think that is a significant difference.

Okay, this makes a lot of sense. There's no way he'd possibly know all of that. Xeiron, which of these are you claiming and which aren't you claiming?
This is mostly correct, but I want to precisize two things:

2) I have said I believe both the pen and the paper exists. I have not said what type of, if any, speicial information I might have about this or if that extends to other items as well.
5) I have said something like this, but I want to make it clear that I have no way to execute his plan if you lynch me today or tomorrow.

The rest I am claiming.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 01, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »

Wow, lots to work with here.  I've been around today, but not posting because I was working up an analysis of the Eevee/nkirbit relationship which I will summarize in a little bit.  But first ...

I probably won't make myself more popular with this, but vote: no-lynch
I have given this some thought and I think nolynch is a lot better in this game that most other games.
Nolynch ensure us more powerroles still in the game. Both because of any starting power a lynchée might have and because of the items that could boost the other players. It think the extra information we gain at night by not lynching town could make up for us missing a chance to lynch scum.
Besides I have come up with a plan that i hope can win us(town) this game. I can't tell you the details yet so you would have to trust me on this one. The first step is obviously to no-lynch today.  For the rest to work more smoothly I would like to make an item request.
Could you please send me a pen and some paper during the night?

I believe X is being genuine here.  It sounds like he is planning to get two nights worth of info and to record his findings the second night in case he is nk'd that night.  I say let him do it.  The case on him is pretty weak as it is - just him acting classically "scummy", but nothing compelling.  I agree with TA that with the loss of sb, no lynch may be preferable.  We would probably end up losing 2 townies today.  We've gotten a lot of information even if we don't have wagons.  I think this Day will be useful even if we no lynch.  I do wonder why a no lynch is necessary for x's plan, but I think let's see how it plays out.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 01, 2013, 05:48:22 pm »

vote: no lynch

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 01, 2013, 06:03:16 pm »

If what Xeiron is claiming is true, he has a way, way more powerful role than my role.  And SB's role.  Remarkably more powerful.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 01, 2013, 06:11:53 pm »

re: nkirbit/Eevee, there are an unusual number of chummy interactions, especially from nkirbit towards Eevee.  I don't know what it means, but I thought I'd put the info out there to see if other people have ideas.  Along with the nkir/Eevee interactions, I also found Eevee to be back and forth quite a bit about both TA and mail-mi, which may also be important.  Post numbers may be approximate.

#497 nkir says will "sheep" Eevee re: sb.  #501  nkir asks Ash his opinion of his agreeing with Eevee.  #514  nkir challenges Ash re: Eevee vote.  #538  nkir challenges mail-mi re: Eevee vote.  #543  nkir defends Eevee against Ashershky.  #546 nkir explains Eevee's position to mail-mi.  #549 nkir agrees with Eevee re: mail-mi.  #550 Eevee High 5's nkir, asks what others think about all the agreeing from nkir.  #558 Eevee praises nkir for chastising Ahoppy.  #559 Eevee defends nkir.  #565 nkir says only agreed with Eevee 2 times.  #593 nkir asks mail-mi about Eevee vote.  #642 Eevee says TA seems "off".  #649 nkir votes TA b/c he feels "off", then #650 switches to sb.  #667  nkir laughs, says still doesn't understand Eevee b/c of typos.  #669 Eevee agrees with nkir. that Chairs is probably town.  #710  Eevee praises TA's self-defense.  Doesn't know who to vote for, thinks nkir is towny.  #714 nkir disagrees with Eevee, thinks pressure on Ashersky is appropriate.  #728 Eevee votes TA.  #744 nkir shares Eevee's impression of TA and asks Eevee if lynch based on gut feeling is ok.  #747 Eevee would vote based on gut.  #749  nkir decides not ok to vote based on gut feeling.  #723-786 Eevee finds mail-mi scummy but vacillates because mail-mi is always scummy.  Seems to shift between accusing and defending mail-mi.  #817 Eevee unvotes TA.  #819 nkir defends mail-mi along same lines as Eevee.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 01, 2013, 06:12:41 pm »

If what Xeiron is claiming is true, he has a way, way more powerful role than my role.  And SB's role.  Remarkably more powerful.

I don't think so.  He maybe has a 1 shot deathproof and some investigative power and a messaging power.  Not bad, but not unheard of.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 01, 2013, 06:14:01 pm »

vote: EFHW

I think that's where my vote was, and that is where it will stay.

EFHW's was the first "scum" response to X's claim.  "Let's let him do that and see where it goes" means "I'm scum so I'll kill him tonight anyway let's mislynch town today."

I'll respond to the rest, but I'm sold on this case.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 01, 2013, 06:19:44 pm »

EFHW's was the first "scum" response to X's claim.  "Let's let him do that and see where it goes" means "I'm scum so I'll kill him tonight anyway let's mislynch town today."

But if we follow my plan we no-lynch, so there wont be a mislynch today...
And why do you think only scum and not town would be the the ones joining me?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 01, 2013, 06:27:26 pm »

But if we follow my plan we no-lynch, so there wont be a mislynch today...
And why do you think only scum and not town would be the the ones joining me?

Here's what happens now:

--you survive the day, scum NKs you

So, a few possibilities: doctoring, jailing, strongman, watching...

If town believes you, you become quite a target of opportunity.  But then scum will worry about town PRs targeting you.  But they need to kill you, or your plan might work...lots of WIFOM and worries there, right?

So normal reactions should be shock, anger, worry, disbelief, suspicion...except from scum, right?  EFHW was way too calm.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 01, 2013, 06:31:08 pm »

As for no-lynching to make sure there's no mislynch...why don't we just no lynch every day?  That's not a compelling argument to me.

Part of how we catch scum is killing off town.  It's a part of the game.  Now, you could argue we got our mislynch with the sb modkill.  I disagree.

Here is my proposal:

We reset the game in our minds.  This is now a 12 player game with 3 or 4 scum (if there's an SK).  We know that raerae did not target anyone during night zero.  We know that theorel has a lens.  We know there is NO Tracker in the game.  The rest is the same.

I do NOT believe the new information regarding raerae and theo clear them in anyway.  It was a specific "no kill N0" so we wouldn't have caught scum doing anything anyway.

We also need to remember that no more lens will be available.  That's my assumption anyway, given the lens dude is dead.  So if you needed a lens for your invention, too bad.

So, think about the other 11 players in the game, and know that maybe up to 35% or so of them are scum.  Can you choose basically 1 in 3 to be scum at this point?  That's who we should be going for.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 01, 2013, 06:45:12 pm »

I reread ahoppy and.. there isn't much. He seems to be playing the catch up game all the time, which might explain it, but out of his 45 posts, only two of three longer ones actually touch any players in this game.

He also seems to be playing up his newbienessa bit, especially in the beginning, which some people take as a scum tell.

I don't know, this would be one of the lynches I'd like better than nolynch, but I'm not like super convinced or anything.

Vote: Ahoppy, I encourage a reread on him, it doesn't take very long. He certainly fits the "stays in the back" bill.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 01, 2013, 07:14:35 pm »

Ash, what do you think of Xeiron?  You came back and reviewed other people's opinion of the claim, but never gave your own.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 01, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »

I'm back from Chicago!    :D  You've all been exceedingly prolific this weekend, haven't you?  And SB... that's an unfortunate situation, there.  It reinforces my opinion that TA was the scummier of the two (at the time I made that decision), though at current moment I'm hard-pressed to argue that it's necessarily TA.

I'm sure I'm going to miss some important posts, given the volume, but in my re-reading of the thread here are some posts I found important (sectioning them out):

====
I'm still processing all the new posts (sorry I've been missing) and I think that we could safely say that either spiritbears or ta are likely scum.  There are potential other options but those two could have been arguing for the benefit of detracting from meaningful conversation. Since we're looking close to soft deadline... vote: twistedarcher

People questioned why Chairs came to the conclusion that one of the two are likely scum, but I don't think anyone asked:

Why did you pick TA as your vote rather than SB, Chairs?  Was there a reason?

TA was on the attack, and seemed remarkably aggressive for somebody who wasn't already sold on lynching.  We've since had a discussion that this is typical of TA, but at the time I felt it was awfully scummy to try to push that case so hard, especially since spiritbears appears to be easily put "on tilt" in a way that scum could potentially abuse more heavily than town.
====

====
-- He brings up the possibility that scum can steal items.  This could be read either way, but in general I don't think scum would want to alert town to possible dangers, especially since scum could get a stealing power from items even if they don't have one now.
See bolded sentence for possible scumslip, or yet another instance of town claiming information on accident.  How could you know scum can gain the ability to steal something from items?  Scum might know this from their own info.  Or you yourself know of such an item, as town.  But really, this is bad.  Like, lynching bad.
I think you must be misunderstanding me.  My reasoning went like this:

1.  If scum has a stealing power and TA is scum, he would not remind town of the possibility.
2.  If scum doesn't have stealing power, TA could still be scum and bring up stealing to create confusion and seem towny.
3.  BUT in this game, even if scum doesn't have stealing power now, they could get it in the future and therefore #1 still applies, and this is evidence of TA's towniness.

The possibility of a scumslip lies in the possibility of you saying "The power's out there, and scum COULD get it", rather than it coming across as "There COULD be a power out there that lets scum do this". Ash is interpreting as the first I presume. I don't agree that this is necessarily the case.

Now here's an interesting situation.  I agree with TA on this, and this leans towards ash being slightly scum.  If Ash is not a native-born English speaker, I would lean more towards null-read from this as it could be language barrier in a very very specific sort of context.

====

Ahoppy is v/la, btw, and I think chairs said he would be gone, too?  He didn't put it in the v/la thread.

I guess I'm not familiar with the v/la thread, I must have missed it.  I'm back now, but I'll keep that in mind for any future absences.

====

Unvote

I believe the claim, SB has no reason to lie if he's /outing. I think it's silly that we have a basically verified town member due to it, but oh well that's the game.

SB also got watcher/tracker confused, I think. No one targeted Raerae last night -- Raerae still very well may have performed actions.

I agree that SB's /out (followed by the confirmed town post-modkill) was unfortunate, but at least we garnered some information out of it.  The watcher/tracker mixup mention initially made me want to ask for followup from you on what you meant here (potential cop PR or scum or something?) but after rethinking your intent you were just explaining SB (if a watcher, as initially suggested) would have only seen that nobody did anything to Raerae, not whether Raerae did anything (though we now know that SB was a tracker and the "Raerae did nothing" description is accurate, suggesting town).

====

Additional notes:
X's idea is interesting, but a proper lynch could potentially set us in a decent position.  The primary argument for no-lynch that I can think of (if we want to see X's concept through) is that we might mislynch the person with pen (since we have paper, it does seem reasonable that we have some sort of writing implement).  That being said, I'm not sold on no-lynch.  There's a few people who have bounced back and forth between "maybe scum?" and "hell I don't know" a few times in the 10 pages I just read, but I'll try to provide some sort of scum-to-chum list (with reasoning) soon.

====

Summary:
I'm back, there's lots of fun new things going on from a very prolific posting weekend.  I like X's idea but dislike that we have to no-lynch twice to maximize his chances of it working, and despite his relatively pro-town look there's still certainly opportunity for him to be scum (just as there is for all of us who are still alive) and a pair of no-lynch nights, if the gambit does not work, could go very pro-scum.  I'd like to make a scum-to-chum list but I'm still recovering from my 4-day-drinkathon so I will produce one Soon(tm).

unvote

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 01, 2013, 07:23:31 pm »

Glad to have you back Chairs, and I look forward to having you catch up and post your reads. One thing I wanted to note:

I agree that SB's /out (followed by the confirmed town post-modkill) was unfortunate, but at least we garnered some information out of it.  The watcher/tracker mixup mention initially made me want to ask for followup from you on what you meant here (potential cop PR or scum or something?) but after rethinking your intent you were just explaining SB (if a watcher, as initially suggested) would have only seen that nobody did anything to Raerae, not whether Raerae did anything (though we now know that SB was a tracker and the "Raerae did nothing" description is accurate, suggesting town).

Even though Raerae did nothing, this doesn't really suggest that she's town in any way. It's RMM, so scum and town both have night actions. I get a null read from it, and I'm not going to give her any town credit for it. (though I DO still think she's town).

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24:13 pm »

Now here's an interesting situation.  I agree with TA on this, and this leans towards ash being slightly scum.  If Ash is not a native-born English speaker, I would lean more towards null-read from this as it could be language barrier in a very very specific sort of context.

I'm the opposite actually.  Native speaker, degree in English - Creative Writing.  It might be that I take word choice/language into consideration too much when analyzing the game.  It's why I hinge on things like "since instead of if" in sentences like that.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »

Glad to have you back Chairs, and I look forward to having you catch up and post your reads. One thing I wanted to note:

Even though Raerae did nothing, this doesn't really suggest that she's town in any way. It's RMM, so scum and town both have night actions. I get a null read from it, and I'm not going to give her any town credit for it. (though I DO still think she's town).

I think it tells us raerae did not give an item to anyone, as Arch previously confirmed role powers interact normally with item powers.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 01, 2013, 07:25:17 pm »

Ash, what do you think of Xeiron?  You came back and reviewed other people's opinion of the claim, but never gave your own.

I think he's town and made a huge mistake.  Prefer to let the wifom take its course now on whether he survives the night or not.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 01, 2013, 07:28:54 pm »

EFHW, what's your interpretation on the Eevee-Nkirbit interaction? Scum buddies? One scum buddying a town? Friendly townies?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29:36 pm »

I think it tells us raerae did not give an item to anyone, as Arch previously confirmed role powers interact normally with item powers.

Well yes. This does go against the information we know on SB being able to give out items, and Chairs claiming to be able to give out items.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 01, 2013, 07:41:46 pm »

Well yes. This does go against the information we know on SB being able to give out items, and Chairs claiming to be able to give out items.

Not sure it goes against anything.  I think it just means raerae didn't hand anything out, not that she couldn't.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 01, 2013, 07:41:55 pm »

TA, how do you view my EFHW case?

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 01, 2013, 07:56:07 pm »

I'm glad to be back.  You make an interesting argument here, though I'll argue that not handing out an item is a slight town action as scum could freely share what items they have/need without giving information to town (arguably, this is presuming that scum have a QT they can discuss in - I don't recall if we had any clarification on game setup to know if this is the case).  Town certainly do not, as a rule, do that without risk - though it may be better to give/receive than simply to hoard it all to ourselves, since we will presumably need the additional powers from the items to really amp up our chance to win.

I'm the opposite actually.  Native speaker, degree in English - Creative Writing.  It might be that I take word choice/language into consideration too much when analyzing the game.  It's why I hinge on things like "since instead of if" in sentences like that.

Perhaps.  To me (as someone who is a native speak and well-read, but not a writing major) it seemed obvious that the original statement was just speculation.  I felt you were overreaching for a scumslip, but I know a lot of creative writing majors and I could totally see that kind of "YOU SAID THIS EXACT THING" ocd-esque behavior from them.  Null-read for you it is, then.

Raerae handing out nothing is arguably town-friendly, as scum could presumably hand items out to other scum on N0 without risk to encourage benefit from sharing.  Town handouts are presumably always risk/reward, though arguably still better than nothing.

tl;dr though I understand TA's logic in first quote, I disagree that it is a full null-read on Raerae and lean town!Raerae because no item being handed out seems more likely to be town than scum.  I would argue null-reads on both ashersky and ta currently based on their last few posts.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 01, 2013, 07:58:14 pm »

I agree that not sharing items is more likely town than not, as I think scum shares to gain towncred.

On word choice -- I do assume (probably incorrectly) that people choose their words with a specific purpose in mind.  It's possible people just type stuff without caring about the nuances of specific words and phrases.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 01, 2013, 08:01:35 pm »

I'm still going to continue pushing for that lynch.

1)  His claim came at the scummiest time.  If he's town, he has an incentive to claim at a time when he's believable, because he wants to make sure his plan will go through and he will be able to catch scum.  What's key here is that he didn't not ask for pen and paper until after he was under pressure.  Either he wants those two to be able to write a note should he be caught, which is contrary to his claim that he cannot be caught, or he needs the pen and paper to build what he's going to use, at which point, you have to ask why didn't he claim it earlier?  I'm not at all sold on this claim, and in fact want to lynch him more because of it.

2)  I don't at all buy the notion of "He acted this way in Shakespeare, so he can't be town here."  He knows that as town in Shakespeare he created a crazy theory with his PR, and got mislynched.  So when he comes under pressure here, he's going to try and act as similarly here as he did in Shakespeare, which is how we got this claim.  I don't find him scummy for this connection, but I sure don't find him towny like others seems to.

3)  I simply think it's unlikely that he has access to all the roles he has in this game.  He has information that a pen is in the game, yet has no pen, as he needs another (or needs 2 pens, I suppose, but this wasn't the impression I got from how he phrased what he was saying).  He believe he can stop a night kill on him tonight and presumably the night after.  He believes that he can successfully identity scum.  Isn't this just a little to good to be true?

4)  I still find him scummy for his case on Theorel and jumping on raerae very early in the game.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 83  All

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 20 queries.