Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: So I'll just put any modal card ideas I have here  (Read 1066 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
So I'll just put any modal card ideas I have here
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:20:51 am »

This may get updated at a somewhat frequent rate. Who knows! Many of these cards are potentially in a custom set, so they are meant to be somewhat balanced.

Modal card idea = A card that has more than one possible effect (ex Minion, Pawn, Menagerie)

Commoner's Pride
Cost: 4
Action
Reveal your hand. If there are no cards costing $5 or more, +3 cards. Otherwise, +2 cards, +$1

It was originally 2 cards and +$2 if you had card costing $5 or more, but then I'm pretty sure it would be way too good. However, the value does drop off in the late game quite drastically, so it might need it.

War
Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions

Each player simultaneously reveals the top card of their draw pile. If the card you revealed has the highest cost, +$1 (Ties count as wins)

In it's current state, absolutely no cost balancing can happen because of Village and Bazaar. I vaguely remember seeing a card similar to this in really bad card ideas. Hopefully I didn't accidentally rip someone off...

Satchel
Action
Reveal the top card of your draw pile

If it is a treasure card, +$1 and play that treasure.
If it is a victory card, +4 cards.
If it is an action card, +1 card, +2 actions.
If it is a Curse, you may trash it.

Ohhhhhh boy. Based off an MtG card of a similar name. Originally, the card was +$2 if treasure, +3 cards if victory, with the rest the same as the current version. However, after I tried testing it a bit, it felt weak. It was still runnable, but the problem was that whatever effect you got was an effect you could have gotten from a card that costed less than $4. Additionally, you had little control over the effect, so you couldn't try to build an engine around it.

To make the randomness worth it, you have to make at least some parts  better than $4. So, it's either a Venture, a draw 4 which guarantees drawing at least one victory card, a village that guarantees you have an action to use the added actions, or a mini-trasher. It looks dangerous, and I'm still a bit scared about the power level, but I think the lack of control makes it safe.

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
Re: So I'll just put any modal card ideas I have here
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:49:47 am »

Hi Titandrake,

with Satchel, don't forget about dual-type-cards.
A revealed Great Hall would lead to +2 Actions and +5 Cards, which is just crazy; a Harem to +3$, +4 cards.
Considering that none of the options alone are bad, I think it should be priced higher.

War should be okay. Maybe you shouldn't win with a tie in a 2-player-game.

Commoner's Pride is very similar to Smithy. The difference, obviously, is -1 card +1$, which should happen quite often in the late game. But then, as I'm already going green and buying Provinces or even Colonies, my average deck value should be 1,6$ or 2,2$. So, one card less but 1$ more should more often harm then help me. Yes, there are situations where this is better (e.g. not having enough cards to draw or an action packed deck where I don't want to draw an action dead), but it isn't changing too much.
So I'd say Commoner's Pride is mostly a Smithy, often worse, and sometimes a bit better, which doesn't sound too exciting.
Maybe instead make the second option "Bazaar", i.e. +1 card, +2 actions, +1$. This makes the options more different, and while a Bazaar is priced at a higher price of 5$, you can't use this card as a reliable +action-card. Think about having this and a Smithy in hand...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:54:10 am by def »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 20 queries.