Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Goko rating system  (Read 20801 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Goko rating system
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 03:01:02 pm »

I use 4600+ because that appears to be the sweet spot for avoiding quitters/jerks most of the time. I don't mean to block out players, it's just in the interest of saving time.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »

The whole "XXXX+" game thing is incredibly aggravating to me as someone whose Dominion skill seems to pretty clearly be 4800 on goko's system. I rarely get to play games with players better than me, and as such I don't get to increase my skill by learning from those better than I am.

The only time this annoys me is when I see someone rated 5100 who is requesting 5000+.   I usually try to leave a 1000 point or so gap below my rating; there's no good reason to play *only* people who are better than you.

However, this is really just a reminder that real matchmaking is needed.

Well, it makes sense if you are returning after a break and your current rating doesn't reflect your actual level of play.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 05:03:07 pm »

The whole "XXXX+" game thing is incredibly aggravating to me as someone whose Dominion skill seems to pretty clearly be 4800 on goko's system. I rarely get to play games with players better than me, and as such I don't get to increase my skill by learning from those better than I am.

The only time this annoys me is when I see someone rated 5100 who is requesting 5000+.   I usually try to leave a 1000 point or so gap below my rating; there's no good reason to play *only* people who are better than you.

it's legit though. there is no law that requests that your own ranking has to be in the scope that you're asking for. if you open a game you make an offer for others to play with you. and you can offer whatever you want. you could be 3000 and ask for 5k+ if you wanted, and even that would be fine. it only annoys you because you automatically assume a certain ranking from the host based on what he's asking for. so it's kind of your problem.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 05:34:46 pm »
+1

it's legit though. there is no law that requests that your own ranking has to be in the scope that you're asking for. if you open a game you make an offer for others to play with you. and you can offer whatever you want. you could be 3000 and ask for 5k+ if you wanted, and even that would be fine. it only annoys you because you automatically assume a certain ranking from the host based on what he's asking for. so it's kind of your problem.

Well, really it's not my problem at all, as I don't join other people's games unless it's been set up beforehand.

However, it's a matter of... courtesy?  Maybe.  Given that the intent of most rating systems is to match players of similar rating, it's a bit silly to ask for 5000+ when you're 4000.  Obviously that's up to the game's host, and anyone joining the game can check the host's rating first.  I'd probably just blacklist someone trying to do it, though again it doesn't matter to me because I host.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 06:24:59 pm »

Well, really it's not my problem at all, as I don't join other people's games unless it's been set up beforehand.

However, it's a matter of... courtesy?  Maybe.  Given that the intent of most rating systems is to match players of similar rating, it's a bit silly to ask for 5000+ when you're 4000.  Obviously that's up to the game's host, and anyone joining the game can check the host's rating first.  I'd probably just blacklist someone trying to do it, though again it doesn't matter to me because I host.

I think it's... pathetic, in a way. It's like saying: "I'm actually better than other players at my rating, I've just been unlucky." that's something a lot of people want to believe, especially if they're unhappy with their current rating.

also, they could see their rating being more likely to go up when playing vs high ranked opponents. i generally feel like, if your only goal was to get your rating up, you should choose opponents that are as high ranked as possible. you're obviously less likely to win, but i feel like goko factors rating differences too much. and even if that isn't correct, some people will think it is.

either way, it makes you look kind of bad, but it's still legit.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:39:52 pm by silverspawn »

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 12:30:11 pm »

Playing against strong players is a good way to learn, so it's possible these 3723 pts players with their 4000+ games are trying to learn.

I do find it a little odd, and I always check before I play.

5k is of course an arbitrary cutoff.  Some players at 5k are less than 25 isotropish (due to goko ratings being more responsive to a winning streak), and I'd prefer not to play against people at that level.  5.3k+ might be better, but with the lobbies being what they are it's hard to make that work.  I do +- 1000 in my automatch, so i will accept matches from people above 4700 that way.  i guess that's inconsistent...
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2014, 07:15:02 am »

I also use +/-1000, which sometimes means 4500-6500, but sometimes moves way lower.

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2014, 07:31:14 am »

Playing against strong players is a good way to learn, so it's possible these 3723 pts players with their 4000+ games are trying to learn.
This. One thousand times this.

I think it's... pathetic, in a way. It's like saying: "I'm actually better than other players at my rating, I've just been unlucky." that's something a lot of people want to believe, especially if they're unhappy with their current rating.

also, they could see their rating being more likely to go up when playing vs high ranked opponents. i generally feel like, if your only goal was to get your rating up, you should choose opponents that are as high ranked as possible. you're obviously less likely to win, but i feel like goko factors rating differences too much. and even if that isn't correct, some people will think it is.

either way, it makes you look kind of bad, but it's still legit.
The best way to learn is to watch better players do their magic. Be that through videos, articles, or playing against them, it doesn't matter. If you mind playing against lower rated players then that's fine, just don't play with them. But keep in mind that it is the best way to get better at the game.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2014, 12:24:41 pm »

i don't think that's the reason... it's possible though.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:48 pm »

i'm not convinced it is either.  I just like to pretend that these strangers have love in their heart.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 02:27:00 pm »

the rating is supposed to reflect your skill. that means being competitive = wanting very much to win or have a higher rating than other people = caring about your rating

That doesn't follow. Wanting to win doesn't necessarily mean you care about your ranking on a stupid leaderboard, it just means you want to win. A competitive person will be more concerned that the leaderboard ACTUALLY measures skill, and if it does, then they will care about their position. If it can't be shown that the leaderboard accurately measures skill, competitive people will find some other way to track "who's the best".

that's true. it's just that i don't actually have any problem with the leaderbord, players who have higher rankings generally seem to be better. but i agree, if you thought that the leaderbord is arbitrary, you wouldn't care about it even if you're competitive

Even independent of leaderboards, some players would rather make the correct decision and lose than make the incorrect decision and win.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.