Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: GOKODOM I: Round 3 Results and Discussion  (Read 21949 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
GOKODOM I: Round 3 Results and Discussion
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:57:40 am »
+3

Round 2 of GokoDom I is here.

How to Play Your Match

1. Go to the spreadsheet and find your name.  Your opponent for this round is right next to your name.  PM that person and work out an agreeable time to play, and choose a room to meet in--I suggest something unlikely to be crowded. Match Results are due no later than Monday 06 May 2013 at 1200 GMT -- 0800 EDT -- 0500 PDT.

2. The player with the most sets will host each game using random cards in Unrated mode.  That player should also take responsibility for saving game logs.

3. The first player for the first game will be decided randomly by Goko.

4. The player who lost the previous game will be the first player for the next game.  This may require you to resign/restart a game.  In Unrated mode, it doesn't matter who resigns.

5. If a game was tied, the player who was the second player in the tie game will be the first player in the next game.

6. Play a minimum of three games, and a maximum of six games, based on the next section.  If any game was a tie, the sixth game will be played.

How to Score Your Match

1. The following situations automatically settle the match:

A. Player A has three wins after 3 or 4 games.  Player A wins.
B. After six games, neither player has won three games.  The match is a draw.

2. If, after 5 games, the match is 3-2, then:

A. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the second player, the match is over, and that player wins.
B. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the first player, play a sixth game, with the leader as the second player.  If the leader wins or ties that game, he wins the match; otherwise the match ends in a draw.

How to Post Your Match

In this thread, make a post that includes links to your game logs, the final score, and the winner and loser of the match.

You must post your results by the deadline listed above.

What If We Can't Figure Out a Time?

There are two situations here:

If you have sent a PM to your opponent, but they have not responded to two separate PMs, send me a PM.  If they do not respond, you will be awarded a win by default.
If both players are in contact but are unable to find a mutually agreeable time, both players should send me PMs; both players will receive a draw by default.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Green Opal

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: GOKODOM I: Round 3 Results and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:54:12 pm »
+3

Green Opal defeats RTT 3-0
Game 1 41-35 http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130429/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1367259089331.txt
A fairly straightforward salvager-FG board with me as first player. My likely misstep of buying a jester over fool's gold doesn't come back to punish me.
Game 2 40-35 http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130429/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1367259569149.txt
I try for bishop-steward into a golden deck, while RTT goes for heavier bishop play. It gets very dicey at the end, but I manage to steal the win with a border village-duchy penultimate turn giving me some extra trash fodder.
Game 3 39-23 http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130429/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1367260112690.txt
Further bad luck for RTT with a 5-2 start on a young witch/fishing village bane board. He manages to accrue enough FVs to block the majority of my curses, but I have an edge in money and some nice library draws to take the win.

Thanks for the games RTT! no doubt were we to play them again things could go very differently...

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:11:04 am by Kirian »

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »
+3

Rabid 3 vs A Drowned Kernel 2

Thanks for hosting A Drowned Kernel I really enjoyed the match.

Game 1
Storeroom, Wishing Well, Gardens, Remake, Smithy, Spy, Council Room, Junk Dealer, Market, Goons
With shelters I am able to trash down, then play 2 goons per turn.
With single goons this might have been close, but with double Goons a clear win against Council room money.

Game 2
Haven, Urchin, Procession, Rats, Young Witch, Apprentice, Mint, Venture, Border Village, Nobles, King's Court
I missed the Kings court from page 2 :(
Very strange board, I'm sure with more darkages practice you could get the venture engine going several turns quicker. Add in KC and this becomes really silly.

Game 3

Forager, Hermit, Spice Merchant, Wandering Minstrel, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty, Rebuild, Rogue, Stables, Possession
I mess up the opening on this HoP mega turn board.
A Drowned Kernel Forager / Spice meachant is better than my hermit / spice merchant.
Nearly steal the win with Possession but it is not to be.

Game 4
Vagrant, Fishing Village, Familiar, Ironworks, Island, JackOfAllTrades, Noble Brigand, Contraband, Library, Tactician
My JoAT against tactician into familiar.
I draw Jack as card 11, then on turn 7 concentrating on making sure I don't make both Jacks miss the reshuffle I trash one of them :(
With the curses slowing me down, A Drowned Kernel uses Tacticians nicely to take the last 2 Provs and the game.

Game 5

Menagerie, Scheme, Conspirator, Horse Traders, Militia, Pirate Ship, Ill-Gotten Gains, Junk Dealer, Vault, Harem
My Junk dealer / - vs Horse Traders into IGG.
Junk dealer keeps the curses away and I build to a scheme powered Conspirator engine and the win.

Thanks again for the match.
Hope we get to play again soon.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:11:32 am by Kirian »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:40:41 pm »

Game 3

Forager, Hermit, Spice Merchant, Wandering Minstrel, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty, Rebuild, Rogue, Stables, Possession
I mess up the opening on this HoP mega turn board.
A Drowned Kernel Forager / Spice meachant is better than my hermit / spice merchant.
Nearly steal the win with Possession but it is not to be.

My plan was to trash all my HoP's the turn after you bought the Possession but I panicked and pulled the trigger too early. I also think I need to break the habit of automatically going for cursers, especially seeing how much I got trounced in that last game. I remember from Iso what a formidable player you are so I'm glad I was able to hold my own in at least a couple of these games. :)
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 05:47:18 pm »

Well, looks like Robz and I are playing full base!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 08:43:07 pm »

Unless one of you caves and buys!  ;)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:56:27 pm »
+1

Alas, it was eventually going to happen.  I didn't want to move people too many categories up or down, and (this is unsurprising to me) those with no cards have tended to end up toward the bottom.  I didn't really expect Robz to be near the bottom, though, cards or not, based on past performance.

Robz, you are a mutual fund apparently.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:23:37 pm »

Alas, it was eventually going to happen.  I didn't want to move people too many categories up or down, and (this is unsurprising to me) those with no cards have tended to end up toward the bottom.  I didn't really expect Robz to be near the bottom, though, cards or not, based on past performance.

Robz, you are a mutual fund apparently.

Yeah, I really, really, really bombed hard in this tournament.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:58:01 pm »

Unless one of you caves and buys!  ;)

Ooh ooh Robz can!!!!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 11:40:05 pm »

soo, how many rounds this thing have?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 01:52:13 am »

5 Swiss rounds, then 3 playoff rounds.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 02:52:14 am »

From the FAQ thread:

I think the tournament should be run differently!

That's not a question.

I lolled so hard at this.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 03:16:18 am »

Edit: Ok, this doesn't work

@Robz, mail-mi

Something that miiiiight work is if someone with all the cards creates the game, one of you sits down, the creator clicks "leave game", and the other takes the creator's seat.

I'm not sure whether that would actually give you all the cards, or whether someone else can take that seat at all, but if you can find someone to do that it might be worth a try. It shouldn't be too big of a burden on the creator if you're fine with waiting on him to finish his games that he plays simultaneously with yours.

I don't have much time this week and I have no idea what time-zone you guys are in, but if you post here a couple of days+times that you are both free to play, I'll see what I can do or maybe another player bites :)

If one of you wants to test whether this works: pm me when you see me online and we'll test it with a bot.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:50:32 am by SheCantSayNo »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 03:36:16 am »
+1

it doesn't work. I tried once.
btw I now have all the sets as well

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:39:42 am »

It's going to be hilarious if this happens in the finals.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 04:50:42 pm »

Joseph2302 vs Avin, 3-0

Game 1: Fool's Gold, Storeroom, Watchtower, Bridge, Count, Rabble, Treasury, Witch, Harem, Peddler, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse
Comments: Joseph got 3 witches, money, and gold. I tried to get fancy and it wasn't worth it.

Game 2: Courtyard, Fool's Gold, Menagerie, City, Explorer, Merchant Ship, Minion, Rogue, Vault, Possession, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
Comments: I opened Fool's Gold and immediately regretted it, but foolishly decided to commit to it rather than back off and go Minions which was clearly the better strategy.

Game 3: Poor House, University, Fortune Teller, Alchemist, Familiar, Silk Road, Worker's Village, Counterfeit, Jester, King's Court, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
Comments: I hit 2 + potion 4 times in a row (once it was 2 + 2 potion even) which made me think I was doomed with the curse split, so I'm really surprised it ended up even. The Jesters helped I think. Had I hit 3p more often early I would have gotten started with Alchemists sooner and might have been able to pull off the win but it was too late in this game.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:12:08 am by Kirian »

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 04:54:13 pm »
+1

A good set of games, I think they were closer than the 3-0 suggests. I definitely think I played boring, reliable strategies (lots of witches, lots of minions), whereas Avin's strategies were more inventive and fancy. On another day they might have worked, but unfortunately not today. 3rd game was definitely horridly unlucky for Avin. Thanks for playing Avin. :)
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 05:32:36 pm »
+3

Qvist vs. michaeljb 3-0 (but in total only 107-104)

Pretty boring, but close games, overall.
Game 1: 33-32 - Jack of All Trades / Oasis against Squire / Mint. He went pretty straight forward Jack with the support of Oases and one Junk Dealer while I spammed Silver with Squire, Mint and Jack. I originally planned to get some Labs and an Explorer, but I just spammed Silver. He got points early, but then I got a better deck with many Silvers. He got a 8VP lead with only Province left. We duchy-danced for a while. Then he makes the mistake to not buy an Estate in a $4 hand what allows me to end this game in a 1-point win.
Game 2: 45-45 (win on turns) - Very weak board where I played Double Scavenger-BM going straight for Provinces while he got one Scavenger and the second later, but got a lot of Nobles. I only got one of them and tried to outrace him on Provinces. With 6 Silvers in my deck I preferred Feodum over Duchy because I expected a longer game. I thought he could end the game on a win because I thought I only had 5 Silvers, but he would have tied me (and lose on turns) and counted correctly and bought a Duchy. I picked up some more Feoda and he Duchies until it was the same dilemma again. This time he got the Province to end this game in an unlucky tied win for me.
Game 3: 29-27 - And another Jack of All Trades. Here I went straight forward Double Jack with one Junk Dealer while he added Cutpurse and Bandit Camps. He trashed all of his Estates while I kept 2 Estates. He had a 7VP lead and we alternated Province buys. I had to buy the second last Province to be 1VP behind and indeed he had only enough for a Duchy, so I could buy the last Province and win.

Thanks for the games michaeljb and sorry for the luck I had. Good luck in the rest of the tournament.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:12:28 am by Kirian »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:13:13 am by Kirian »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 05:51:02 pm »
+1

florrat - bama: 3-1

Game 1: Secret Chamber, Apothecary, Shanty Town, Philosopher's Stone, Remodel, Scout, Wandering Minstrel, City, Rogue, Expand
We both opened 5/2. Bama opened Rogue/SC and I opened Potion/SC. We both tried to build an Apothecary engine. My engine worked out better, don't know if that's because I opened with potion, or if I was luckier in the start. I won 34-19.

Game 2: Hamlet, Pawn, University, Warehouse, Bridge, Conspirator, Silk Road, Counterfeit, Farmland, Hunting Grounds
This was an interesting game. I basically went Hamlet/Hunting Grounds with Counterfeit for trashing, while bama went Conspirator with Counterfeit for trashing and hamlet/warehouse to start the chain. I thought it would be hard to start the conspirator chain, but I couldn't be more wrong... He succeeded most of his last turns (dunno what part of that was luck), which led to his win 30-42.

Game 3: Vineyard, Woodcutter, Caravan, Horse Traders, Scavenger, Cartographer, Festival, Minion, Mint, Upgrade
We both went for a minion engine. Bama trashed most of his money by buying a mint, while I trashed them by opening upgrade on my first turn with $5. I got a (lucky) double province turn, which was too much to keep up for bama. The game ended 27-26.

Game 4: Poor House, Beggar, Chapel, Apothecary, Feodum, Procession, Rats, Duke, Outpost, Tribute
We followed very different stategies, which both didn't work out that well. Bama went chapel into poor house+procession (with rats support) into beggar. I went Apothecary + beggar. I probably shouldn't have opened beggar, since these would make my potions and apothecaries less frequent. We both hesitated between Duchy + Duke vs Provinces. When the Duchies were out, I still reached an occasional province, which led to my win 49-35. But maybe Chapel Big Money was better than both our strategies here.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:15:04 am by Kirian »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 08:58:06 am »

The bug causing too few colony games has been fixed.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:51 am »

The bug causing too few colony games has been fixed.

Woot, finally.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:37:38 am by Kirian »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:37:56 am by Kirian »

17and3buys

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 05:05:17 pm »

Glad we could find a time to play despite time zone differnce and my full schedule. Thx for playing, 17and3buys

You're welcome. I'm glad it worked out, even if it wasn't to my advantage... LOL. Someday I'm gonna win those close games.  :-P

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 07:08:06 pm »
+4

Stealth Tomato over AdamH 3-1

Not much going on for these games, and Stealth Tomato summarized it well just below me, so I'll just put the regular stuff. Not too interesting, but he played well and deserves the win.

Video Playlist:

Game 1: AdamH 43, Stealth Tomato 18

Video Link:

Game Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130501/log.505de22f0cf2ef979299a5d8.1367446840053.txt

Kingdom Cards: Pawn, Masquerade, Death Cart, Sea Hag, Cache, Count, Governor, Inn, Junk Dealer, Vault

Game 2: Stealth Tomato 33, AdamH 30

Video Link:

Game Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130501/log.505de22f0cf2ef979299a5d8.1367447765520.txt

Kingdom Cards: Duchess, Pearl Diver, Bureaucrat, Fortress, Gardens, Quarry, Scout, Throne Room, Catacombs, Hunting Party

Game 3: AdamH 35, Stealth Tomato 47

Video Link:

Game Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130501/log.505de22f0cf2ef979299a5d8.1367448659982.txt

Kingdom Cards: Sage, Philosopher's Stone, Monument, Remake, Salvager, Thief, Merchant Ship, Mine, Tribute, Witch -- with Colony/Platinum

Game 4: AdamH 31, Stealth Tomato 49

Video Link:

Game Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130501/log.505de22f0cf2ef979299a5d8.1367449557200.txt

Kingdom Cards: Watchtower, Conspirator, Moneylender, Scout, Spy, Trader, Mandarin, Mint, Royal Seal, Saboteur

------------

We played another game after for-funsies. There's a video but I forgot to grab the game log. Stealth, do you have it? If not, I'll just search Goko for it tomorrow. It was much more interesting (by design) so yeah.

Video link:

Game log: [link]

Posted
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:38:18 am by Kirian »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 07:12:51 pm »
+3

Stealth Tomato 3 - 1 AdamH (Stealth Tomato going second in Game 1)
A phenomenally boring series in which the first game involves a horrific luck difference, and the other three have incredibly crappy boards. Of all the games of mine I would like to see on YouTube, these four are none of them. I deserved absolutely no part of this victory, at least not to any greater extent than Adam did.

AdamH 43-18 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130501/log.505de22f0cf2ef979299a5d8.1367446840053.txt
Masquerade-Governor. We both open Masq-Silver, and after six turns our decks are:
Me: 2xGov-Gold-Masq-2xSilver-6xCopper-3xEstate
Adam: Prov-2xGov-Gold-2xMasq-2xSilver-8xCopper
At this point I have essentially no chance, and it just gets worse from there.

Stealth Tomato 33-30 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130501/log.505de22f0cf2ef979299a5d8.1367447765520.txt
Hunting Party spam vs. Catacombs. My luck is no good early, but his is horrific late. A $4 hand for him allows me to take a lead of 7+ with the penultimate Province, and he miscounts and buys the last to turn a likely loss into a sure one.

Stealth Tomato 47-35 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130501/log.505de22f0cf2ef979299a5d8.1367448659982.txt
Colony game! With nothing but terminals and Sage! (and Tribute, which is terminal if nobody buys any action cards.) I get a lucky Platinum, end up 3-0 in the Colonies, and that's pretty much all she wrote. Yawn. At this point, we're rather annoyed at the vanilla boards and lack of DA.

Stealth Tomato 49-31 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130501/log.505de22f0cf2ef979299a5d8.1367449557200.txt
No DA! No Villages! No+Buys! No useful cantrips! I think this summary also applies to the other three games!
After a thrilling gambit of opening Silver/Watchtower to my Silver/Silver, Adam pays the price by repeatedly hitting $6 and $7 in the greening phase, obviously due to his lack of skill.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:39:05 pm by Stealth Tomato »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 07:36:26 pm »
+1

...obviously due to his lack of skill.

You know what I always say: you make your own shuffle luck.  :P
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 03:58:36 am »

Lespeutre - ftl 3-0.

Not my best games, sadly.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50612a9b51c36e573294bfd0.1367478839615.txt

Chapel-grand market game, in which I miscount my buys and end the game with a loss because I don't have enough buys to buy the two estates I thought I could. Dangit.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50612a9b51c36e573294bfd0.1367479801480.txt I go for a bureaucrat-duke slog, lespeutre makes a clever Treasury-Grand Market-Expand engine which is better. 

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50612a9b51c36e573294bfd0.1367481319487.txt Game with alchemist, scrying pool, herbalist, where I think lespeutre's second potion gives him a good edge.

Well-played on his part.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:38:45 am by Kirian »

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 04:49:45 am »
+1

Good you saved the logs, I forgot for the first two, but I recorded so video proof is up here.

Game 1:
A sure win for ftl if only he hadn't miscounted. He starts monument/chapel while I can go chapel/minion. Still he hits 5$ on t3 and chapels 2 estates, 2 coppers while my chapel meets my minion so I can only trash 3 coppers. Our decks are the same except for a haven and a copper I have more, so he has already overcome my 5/2 advantage. I pick up a monument as well, we both have 3 minions when we pick up our first GM. We get our 2nd GM, but then he's able to buy 2 GM with 12$ while I only have 10$ (+1 copper) for 2 minions. He wins the GM split 6-4 then, whereas we split minions 5-5. On his penultimate turn he picks up province, 2 duchies which could've been 2 provinces w/o letting me any chance to finish (3 provinces remaining). Instead I take a 1 point lead by going province/duchy (14$), and count this as lost when I see him staring to buying lots of havens.

Game 2:
Again it's a 5/2 start for me. This disadvantage with regard to a duchy/duke slog confirms my tendency towards a treasury, GM, expand based province strategy that is able to steal some duchies/dukes from him and expanding them. It works really well, his money, however, is split too unevenly as he has 4$ very often, but then also has 8$ and makes the old mistake of picking up provinces himself. I'm sure he actually knows better, but we've all been in situations like this ('I have 8$, I'll not gonna see 8$ again, and this province is 6 VP, which I can deny him).

Game 3:
Some alchemy in here: herbalist, scrying pool, alchemist. This is a tactically interesting setup, as there is no +actions. We start potion/herbalist, his collide, mine don't. We go for some alchemists first, split them 5-5. He's got 5$P with 2 buys alot, and I think at least one of them should've been SP/scheme. I have picked up a 2nd potion very early to make my deck more reliable and I can at one point buy SP/alchemist which is huge here. He's got 3 schemes to my 1, and we both have a militia. Now, the tactical decisions are whether to attack your opponent or ge the 2nd buy. And then how many cards do you put back? In principle he can put back 5 alchemists + 3 cards from his schemes + potion from herbalist (if he played it but not militia). But then I'll discard his first 3 from the drawing pile with my SP anyway and may force him to discard 2 more cards from his hand with my militia (sacrificing my 2nd buy, in turn). Anyway, he starts buying provinces right off the race for alchemists and SPs (6-4 in my favour) which I think is too early (he needs 6 coppers + militia or 7 coppers + herbalist). On the contrary, I add a gold, thinking that I can have 11$ and 2 buys when I draw my whole deck so that I can buy province/scheme, e.g. When he's got 2 provinces and I have 1, I only hit 6$, so I add another gold, such that my money goes up to a max of 14$ (2 buys), i.e. province/duchy or province/gold. He picks up his 3rd province and leads by 12. The next turn sees me drawing my whole deck and I get province/gold so that I could go double province, theoretically. He boosts his lead by a duchy; now there are 3 provinces left, he's 9 VP up, but he still hasn't added any money, so he still needs to draw most of his deck to have a chance at buying a single province. I get a province, playing a militia, reducing his lead to 3 VP. The next turn he can't do anything, and I take a 6 VP lead by going province/duchy, which he can't overcome as he started this game. He gets a duchy instead. I have a very bad next turn, though and can only afford an estate, such that he could buy a province for the win. Moreover, I make a stupid mistake by not playing my potion, so I can't put my alchemists back. However, the huge luck he'd need for the province buy does not come true, he gets a duchy and I can buy the last province, a little lucky, though, and ironically, with 2 golds and militia, w/o having played a nice SP/alchemist chain.

Thanks for the match, bo5 is pretty short, I'm sure this would've gone much differently if ftl had taken home game 1 which he'd basically won already. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:16:37 pm by lespeutere »

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 04:42:54 pm »
+3

DG 3-2 over philosophyguy:

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1367522030248.txt
Poor House, Beggar, Trade Route, Monument, Count, Explorer, Junk Dealer, Market, Outpost, Stables
DG 0-1, 45-51

We both open Monument/Silver and begin building Stables engines. I end up getting a second Monument, and the extra VP give me a slight edge so that he can't safely break PPR.

I was thinking about Outpost in this game, since Stables is potentially decent drawing power. The Outpost would choke badly at the end of the game, but it could get a couple extra Monument plays in. I think skipping it was the right choice, but I'm not certain.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1367522964790.txt
Native Village, Tunnel, Alchemist, Cutpurse, Moneylender, Sea Hag, Counterfeit, Harvest, Witch, Forge
DG 1-1, 34-18

Lots of attacks makes this a rough set for second player. He spikes a Forge which does some serious work for him. I have rotten luck to have my Harvest collide twice with my Sea Hag and then to be the very bottom of the deck (missing the reshuffle) a few more times. Plus it never hits my Tunnels. Not sure how I could have improved my play here.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1367523917539.txt
Pearl Diver, Oracle, Watchtower, Familiar, Gardens, Horse Traders, Ironmonger, JackOfAllTrades, Wandering Minstrel, Mint
DG 1-2, 48-63

I open a 5/2 split and think it's GG, but somehow I catch up to him with my Jack/Ironmonger mix. He goes for Gardens really early, which I think is a serious mistake—Jack has great staying power and Ironmonger is strong in money decks.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1367524926198.txt
Oasis, Village, Warehouse, Woodcutter, Spy, Graverobber, Harvest, Highway, Ill-Gotten Gains, Farmland
DG 2-2, 28-19

An IGG match. He opens Woodcutter/Silver; I go Oasis/Oasis. I think Oasis should be stronger than Woodcutter here, but the Silver was probably a good call. I dip for Duchies first but he buys a Farmland and then gets to Farmland it into a Province three turns later. Then he lines up IGGs for another Province, and it's over.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1367526419517.txt
Courtyard, Warehouse, Wishing Well, Alchemist, Fortress, Cartographer, Council Room, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty, Nobles
DG 3-2, 49-27

A true engine board, and I misplay the buildup pretty badly. We're both going for a Council Room/Ghost Ship engine into Horns, but he does much better in getting his deck together. An early $6 tempts me into a Nobles, which was probably a mistake, and then I fall behind as his deck gains from his HoP while mine is stuck dealing with his Ship attacks.

Thanks for the games, DG! These were very close—I thought I was slightly better tactically in the first, much better in game 3, and much worse in the last, with the other two too close to call. I look forward to playing again!

EDIT: videos are here. This is my first time doing Dominion videos, so any comments on the actual recording (as well as strategic comments) are welcome.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:39:28 am by Kirian »

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 06:23:22 pm »

SheCantSayNo beats gman314 3-1. Once SCSN posts the logs, I'll comment on them.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 06:56:52 pm »
+2

SheCantSayNo - gman314: 3 - 1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1367529053686.txt
Oasis, Steward, Monument, Contraband, Council Room, Stables, Tactician, Treasury, Grand Market, Peddler

We both go for a Double Tactician/Grand Market/Peddler engine, but his Steward/Silver open works out way better than my Steward/Steward. I make the additional mistake of buying a Monument (another terminal with no village to be found), he gets his engine running smoothly whereas I struggle. He grabs most of the GMs and Peddlers, and I resign after his triple province on turn 15.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1367529577867.txt
Crossroads, Hermit, Sage, Trade Route, Cultist, Market, Mine, Pillage, Saboteur, Upgrade

We both open Silver/Silver and go for Cultists, which we both get on turn 3 and additional ones later (I buy 4, he 3), but due to some bad shuffle luck I lose the ruins split pretty badly: 7-3. But maybe his T4 Sage had something to do with it? I preferred Silvers, especially because they can't be drawn dead by Cultist. He gets a Province on turn 9, I follow on T10. Then we go heavy on the Upgrades (they are awesome with Cultists: draw 3 cards + gain a gold!), I trash my first on turn 17 and then make a horrible misclick on turn 19 where I trash the copper I drew with my Upgrade because it popped up on the place of a Cultist... I was a bit behind and felt this was gg, but he has one less Cultist than me and isn't too lucky in connecting them (ultimately trashing only one vs. my three), so I manage to build up a better economy and get ahead. He takes a big gamble on T22 by breaking PPR from behind, offering me the opportunity to buy the last Province for the win, which I do two turns later.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1367530253528.txt
Poor House, Cellar, Courtyard, Crossroads, Woodcutter, Workshop, Death Cart, Knights, Adventurer, Hunting Grounds

He says in chat that he doesn't know what to do except for going heavy on the Knights. I initially decide to go Courtyard-BM and ignore the Knights altogether. When his Dame Molly trashes my freshly bought Gold on T5, it occurs to me that that was probably not that great of a plan, so I grab a bunch of Knights as well. Over the course of the game he trashes 3 of my golds, while I trash only one of his. But because of my 3 Courtyards + 1 Crossroad vs. his unfocused Courtyard, Cellar, Deathcart and 2 Ruins, I'm able to connect my money better than he his and ultimately win the game.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1367530951824.txt
Embargo, Moat, Fishing Village, Storeroom, Trader, Wandering Minstrel, Golem, Explorer, Pillage, Altar

This I found the most difficult kingdom of the game so far. I really wanted to try some engine with lots of Fishing Villages, Moats, Golems and Storeroom. I opened Embargo/Fishing Village, planning to Embargo the golds, but then when I saw him Embargo'ing Pillage on T3, I realised that he could so easily Embargo key components and fuck me over hard, so I changed my plan yet again, deciding to go for Explorer - BM. He gets an Altar which he uses to trash stuff into Pillars (and Duchies in the end game). I might have liked his strategy better than mine had he not also gotten 2 Wandering Minstrels which more than once discarded his precious money. Due to WM's fast filtering, he played his Altar often, which made him win the Duchy split (5-3), but it was useless after that. Yet I still was a bit lucky to be able to buy the last Province with my first hand after the reshuffle on T20, so I'm unsure about what's best on this board.

Thanks for the games, gman314! I enjoyed them, and especially the last one is some food for thought.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:39:51 am by Kirian »

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:19 am »

Yeah, that's basically accurate for all the games. In the second game, I thought that Sage might help me get Cultists played more, and it did help, but the Sage was also drawn dead a lot. In game 3, the only thing which made knights to as great as they could have been was the sheer number of $2s. I think that playing it again I might have gone for a more focused strategy with a bunch of $2s. The Death Cart was also a bad idea because if it had been hit by a knight I'd be stuck with two Ruins and no way to get rid of them.

Game 4 was a really interesting one because of Embargo. At first I was like "get Altar and go engine!" but with Embargo on the board and Moat being the only + cards (other than Golem) I felt that wasn't a great idea. But that rethinking was only after getting an Altar, so I used it to pick up a couple of Pillages and a bunch of Duchies, and mostly went for..... I really don't know what. I wanted to go Explorer-BM, but felt that was boring, so picked up some actions and made the mistake of picking up both Explorer and WM. That was just a bad idea.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:40:15 am by Kirian »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »

werothegreat wins a very well-played set against LastFootnote, 3-2

(videos to follow)

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130503/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1367621466076.txt werothegreat
We both open Fool's Gold, but I open Young Witch to his Hermit.  He let's me get the larger share of the Fool's Golds, which I think may have contributed to my win.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130503/log.50675f6afca284ca61206e88.1367622016181.txt LastFootnote
A Silk Road game with Philosopher's Stone.  My second Potion was a mistake, as were my Native Villages.  LastFootnote wins with a sizeable lead.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130503/log.50675f6afca284ca61206e88.1367622688297.txt werothegreat
Plenty of interesting cards here, but I play a straight Bishop game, taking an early lead, and then cementing it with something quite close to a golden deck.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130503/log.50675f6afca284ca61206e88.1367623539385.txt LastFootnote
As crappy as Rogue is, LastFootnote's use of it gives him a slight edge, especially since I probably spent too many turns engine-building.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130503/log.50675f6afca284ca61206e88.1367624360528.txt werothegreat
I'm able to open Haven/Torturer, but that doesn't make too much of a difference, since his early Watchtower and Salvager catch almost every Curse anyway.  I think this is the first game where I use Haven properly, saving a Torturer for next turn when I don't have enough actions.  I probably didn't need to Salvage a Province in that last turn, but it was a dramatic gesture.

Well-played, LastFootnote, and good luck in the rest of the Tournament!

Posted
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:40:40 am by Kirian »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 11:56:17 pm »
+1

heatthespurs 3-1 andwilk

Game 1: H 46-21 A ... http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130503/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1367636845697.txt

Duchess, Steward, Conspirator, Spy, Worker's Village, Count, Duke, Haggler, Mandarin, Market

I go for Duke seeing good support from Count (and possibly Duchess). First time to try out this Count-Duke thing and it seems that work out quite well. The drawback of Counts is not so bad in Duke game (or actually help) since I would gladly gain a copper, or put my other Count/excess money on top of deck. My opponent went for a more fancy Conspirator engine which I have also considered (support from Steward, WV, Haggler, Market). Though he (had to?) contested me on Duchy so it means he did not get the high enough density in Action to get that Conspirator going.

Game 2: A 26-13 H ... http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130503/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1367637660635.txt

Pawn, Steward, Swindler, Conspirator, Farming Village, Counting House, Horn of Plenty, Jester, Market, Venture

A swindler dominated game where I went for 2 swindler and my opponent went for 1 swindler. We both hit some important cards in the other deck. I think we both went for similar deck with Conspirator the main sources of income. He cleverly got a HOP on his 2nd last turn (which at that time I thought was a mistake) which enable him to double Province in his very next turn and won the game. Nice play.

Game 3: H 24-7 A (resign) ... (forgot to save log)

Key Cards: Ghost Ship, Swindler, Caravan, Bishop, Vagrant, Harem, (no village)

Without Village support we have to weight between GH, Swindler and Bishop. I ignored Bishop and he ignored Swindler. He has 5/2 and opened GS, but I got some luck in swindlering his Ghost Ship early. Then I managed to load up on Caravan and Harem and got some healthy province lead before he resigned.

Game 4: A 10 (resign) -24 H ... http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130503/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1367639126084.txt

Lookout, Navigator, Procession, Quarry, Remake, Remodel, Library, Minion, Royal Seal, Tribute

He had another 5/2 start and get a Minion, then got a Remake in trimming his deck. I opened with Lookout/Quarry, and got a second lookout hoping to trim/cycling through my deck. We evenly split Minion, and both have a few Tribute. But I managed to hit 8 more consistently (maybe because he has some extra silver from remake that Minion deck didn't like?), and he resigned after I got 4 province. I actually thought the game is far from over yet since Minion deck tends to chok by green pretty hard (plus I do not have much money except Minion...). This actually remind me of my painful first round game with AdamH which I got 5 province in 13 turns but still lost...

Posted
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:53:01 am by heatthespurs »

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2013, 12:01:09 am »

heatthespurs 3-1 andwilk

Game 1: H 46-21 A ... http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130503/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1367636845697.txt
Game 2: A 26-13 H ... http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130503/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1367637660635.txt
Game 4: A 10 (resign) -24 H ... http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130503/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1367639126084.txt

2 Swindler and 1 Minion game... pretty much a carbon copy of my round 1 match.  You'd think with almost 200 cards in the game, I'd be able to play without these cards more often than not but they seem attracted to me so far in GokoDom  :(

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 12:30:47 am »

heatthespurs 3-1 andwilk

2 Swindler and 1 Minion game... pretty much a carbon copy of my round 1 match.  You'd think with almost 200 cards in the game, I'd be able to play without these cards more often than not but they seem attracted to me so far in GokoDom  :(

By the way, anyone has a feeling that the Goko is not fully generating the card independently in each game? I feel like the card you played in your very last game have higher chance to reappear in the next game? I know that it could be some kind of bias from player point of view (some fallacy in probability?), but just wonder if anyone else have this same feeling...

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 01:36:22 am »

heatthespurs 3-1 andwilk

By the way, anyone has a feeling that the Goko is not fully generating the card independently in each game? I feel like the card you played in your very last game have higher chance to reappear in the next game? I know that it could be some kind of bias from player point of view (some fallacy in probability?), but just wonder if anyone else have this same feeling...

Pretty standard probability and perception fallacy.  We notice coincidences when they happen, and don't notice them when they don't happen, because there's nothing to notice.  Since we notice the coincidences, they stay in the memory, and the memories of all the random background fades away, leaving the perceptions that the coincidences are not background.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 12:20:23 pm »

heatthespurs 3-1 andwilk

Pretty standard probability and perception fallacy.  We notice coincidences when they happen, and don't notice them when they don't happen, because there's nothing to notice.  Since we notice the coincidences, they stay in the memory, and the memories of all the random background fades away, leaving the perceptions that the coincidences are not background.

Nah, I think he's on to something. If Familiar is in the game, for example, I am more likely to get a 5/2 start, it seems.

(Emphasis on it seems.)

;)

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 01:54:05 pm »
+1

I'm a little late, but Hsiale defeats Tdog 3-1

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1367523344470.txt  Hsiale 41- Tdog 30
A pretty simple governor game here, the only real difference coming in first turn navigator vs. lookout. I'm not sure what happened, either he had much better shuffles or navigator is better (very possible). Also, I think I should have broken PPR on turn 11, our decks were fading and it would have tied it up.

Game 2:http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1367523726502.txt Hsiale 50- Tdog 31
So we both went mostly BM, he went bureacrat and I went with noble brigand. Bureaucrat was the better option it seemed, as I kept hitting copper-estate, gaining nothing and not giving a copper. He also got 6 hands in the beginning while I was getting 5s, giving him golds over my highways.

Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1367524007204.txt Tdog 21- Hsiale resigned

This one is pretty simple,a familiar game where he gets $P2. I give him all 10 curses while he tries to trash down by  way of altar and forge, but he is swamped in curses and gets the loss.

Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1367524261233.txt Hsiale 25- Tdog 13

IGG game here. He gets a 5-2 start, giving me a curse before the reshuffle. I'm always down one in the IGG war, and can't overcome it and get the loss.

Good series Hsiale despite the fact game 3 and 4 were almost from basically the beginning. Good luck the rest of the way.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 03:20:46 pm »
+1

AHoppy def. Insomniac 3-2

Game 1: Insomniac - 22, AHoppy - 31
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.505ca69b0cf21ba04cfa2f17.1367679289854.txt
Embargo, Lighthouse, Pawn, Vagrant, Scrying Pool, Ambassador, Hermit, Menagerie, Highway, Outpost
we both open Amb, Insomniac builds a Scrying Pool/Highway deck, but doesn't pick up a pawn and doesn't get extra buys.  I do a strange thing with outpost and Menagerie and Hermit, basically only buying gold until I can snag enough Provinces.  I could have gotten beat pretty easily if Insomniac had grabbed an early Pawn.

Game 2: Insomniac - 43, AHoppy - 35
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.505ca69b0cf21ba04cfa2f17.1367680442549.txt
Courtyard, Pawn, Loan, Bishop, Farming Village, Feast, Ironmonger, Rats, Apprentice, Venture
Oh Rats... how I want to love you, but then you turn around and bite me.  I try to do a Rats/Apprentice/Bishop thing, but never get enough bishops to make it worthwhile.  Insomniac trashes out all his copper with Bishop, then spams Venture.  This was another case where neither of us grabbed Pawn early, then when I hit $16 with 2 provinces left, I only had one buy and had to spend it on a Duchy to not break PPR...  Just goes to show how important that +1 Buy can be

Game 3: AHoppy 28, Insomniac - 36
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.505ca69b0cf21ba04cfa2f17.1367680827592.txt
Beggar, Crossroads, Menagerie, Shanty Town, Young Witch, Cache, Duke, Haggler, Hunting Party, Mandarin, Treasury, Bane: Shanty Town
The obvious strategy here was Duchy/Duke with Beggar and Cache on the board.  However, Insomniac ignore Cache and just grabs Beggars, which wins him the Duke split, giving him the game. 

Game 4: AHoppy - 55, Insomniac 45
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.505ca69b0cf21ba04cfa2f17.1367681203673.txt
Duchess, JackOfAllTrades, Monument, Treasure Map, Worker's Village, Cache, Explorer, Inn, Laboratory, Stables
We both build similar Monument/WV/Lab decks, but I break PPR hoping my points from monument will be enough if he ends it, then set up a perfect deck with inn for the win.  It was a close one and I found it pretty interesting

Game 5: Insomniac - 18, AHoppy - 34
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.505ca69b0cf21ba04cfa2f17.1367681710925.txt
Embargo, Develop, Forager, Lookout, Gardens, Tournament, Library, Harem, Bank, King's Court
I thought this was probably the most interesting set of the match.  Insomniac goes for KC-tournament, I skip the KC and go Forager/Library, which turns out to be quite effective.  Drop 2 cards, getting money and a buy, then draw back up to 7 worked pretty well.

They were good games, thanks for playing Insomniac!  and good luck in the rest of the tournament

Posted
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:04:59 pm by Kirian »

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1367523344470.txt  Hsiale 41- Tdog 30
A pretty simple governor game here, the only real difference coming in first turn navigator vs. lookout. I'm not sure what happened, either he had much better shuffles or navigator is better (very possible).
I went for Navigator because my primary aim was getting Governors ASAP. A Lookout is a 0$ card that prepares the deck to be better on turns after you play it, Navigator is $2 instantly. I felt trashing was not important here because I'd have lots of Gold and Silver anyway and all I had to aim for was $8. And as I planned to get only Governors and money afterwards, Navigator being terminal didn't hurt me at all.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 03:56:12 pm »
+2

Mic Qsenoch 3 - 0 MrHaas

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1367695106499.txt
Our strategies are fairly similar and I chalk this one up to luck/1st player. We both make some mistakes here, but I'm not sure the best way to play this one.

Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1367695787732.txt
Looks like an alt-VP board to me. I use Haggler and Hermit to gain extra cards to pump up both Silk Roads and Gardens (up to 5 VP for both). His deck depends heavily on trashing stuff and eventually he has eaten up all his money. He needs at least one Haggler badly to feed his Apprentice. I'm sorry MrHaas for running up the score on this one, I am bad at counting points and a little paranoid about losing on something silly like that, but I probably should have ended this one sooner.

Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1367696516119.txt
A beautiful board for an engine without significant trashing, and a good example of how Jack of all Trades isn't just for Big Money. I probably should have built up to double Province turns, but waiting too long to green can be dangerous. I have a couple fortunate early turns with that let me build up a big momentum lead.

Thanks for the match MrHaas!

Posted
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:05:22 pm by Kirian »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2013, 04:23:43 pm »
+1

Game 2:http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130502/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1367523726502.txt Hsiale 50- Tdog 31
So we both went mostly BM, he went bureacrat and I went with noble brigand. Bureaucrat was the better option it seemed, as I kept hitting copper-estate, gaining nothing and not giving a copper. He also got 6 hands in the beginning while I was getting 5s, giving him golds over my highways.

I think you were really unlucky in the beginning here, and then things snowballed as usual. NB is really good for and against BM, way better than Bureaucrat. Maybe opening Bureaucrat is a good idea, but then definitely get NB. I would even get NB ahead of highway here, unless I get a too high density of NBs on the deck due to some bad shuffles. If he is getting early Golds, constantly attacking with NB becomes even more important. The only problem is that Secret Chamber is really good against NB, but he did not get them so that was not the problem.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:05:47 pm by Kirian »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2013, 05:58:53 pm »

3/4 games had goons as the central card... the one that didn't have goons was the one I won :P. I need to get better at playing with goons...

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »
+1

Mail-mi and I played a few games, ad then he had to go. For now, the series stands at 2-1 in my favor.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1367709892875.txt
Mail-mi gets a regrettable 5/2 start on what is undoubtedly a Storeroom/Tunnel bonanza. He compounds that bad luck by opening Contraband, which allows me to block him from ever getting Tunnels. I'm able to play the combo fairly straightforward--I even add a Harvest to my deck for more Tunnel activating fun.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1367710576555.txt
My opponent goes for a Scout opening!!!!!! Isn't that exciting? Well, true to its reputation, Scout draws 4 Copper for him, which he reorders and puts back on top of his deck. I think he wanted to pull his Estates into his Develop hands, but who's to say you won't just pull them OUT of your Develop hands? Anyway, his deck isn't so bad considering that he opened Scout, but I win the GM split and have a few Nobles, so I'm safely in control. I add Rogue to my deck fairly early. Dunno if it was better than Lab, I'm still getting a feel for it. Anyway, his Scout is a willing sacrifice to my Rogue, and later, Rogue adds his trashed Scout to my deck. So I win the game with Scout. Uh, does that count?

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1367711897496.txt
We both open Chapel/Young Witch. Oasis is the Bane; I take 2, he gets 1 later. The Kingdom is missing critical +buy, so what do you do? I decide to get a bunch of Peddlers anyway, keeping a thin deck with Chapel. He goes the Scyring Pool route. I think that's too slow, but unfortunately, my thing is super slow. We end up with fairly equal decks, but mine falls apart just a little more quickly. I'm close to the tie, but in the end he clinches it. My guess is a transition to Smithy BM would have beaten both of us here. Of course there IS Thief present, so maybe it's one of those rock/paper/scissors boards. In any case, slow Scrying Pool beats slow Peddlers.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2013, 08:30:04 pm »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1367710576555.txt
My opponent goes for a Scout opening!!!!!! Isn't that exciting? Well, true to its reputation, Scout draws 4 Copper for him, which he reorders and puts back on top of his deck. I think he wanted to pull his Estates into his Develop hands, but who's to say you won't just pull them OUT of your Develop hands? Anyway, his deck isn't so bad considering that he opened Scout, but I win the GM split and have a few Nobles, so I'm safely in control. I add Rogue to my deck fairly early. Dunno if it was better than Lab, I'm still getting a feel for it. Anyway, his Scout is a willing sacrifice to my Rogue, and later, Rogue adds his trashed Scout to my deck. So I win the game with Scout. Uh, does that count?
Yes, was trying to pull estates into Develop hands. Didn't work.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2013, 08:57:07 pm »
+1

And the final game.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130504/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1367714823297.txt
So at first glance, Apothecary has serious support here in the form of Beggar and Coppersmith. But there's no +buy or +action, and the only trashing is Upgrade. We both set our sights on Apothecary anyway, but he pairs the Potion opening with Beggar right off the bat, whereas I head for Silver. He might have been right but his big problem is, all those extra Coppers really slow him down. And I get a Young Witch and start pumping him with Curses. The YW in turn activates his Beggars, giving him lots of Silvers, but those also slow down his deck. So even though he has way more cards that are supporting his Apothecaries, I have 3 of them when he just has 1. And I'm crunching Estates with Upgrade, and generally cycling super quick and playing YW nearly every turn. He picks up 3 Coppersmiths and a Trader; the latter let's him do some cute stuff with Beggar, but my deck is just too tight.

I win 3-1. Thanks for the games, mail-mi!

After the humiliating clobbering I received in the first two rounds, it was nice to show that I can play competently some of the time.

Also in case you are all wondering where the extra sets came from, I bit the bullet and bought the megapack. Better be worth it, Goko!!!

Posted
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:10:54 pm by Kirian »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2013, 09:01:49 pm »

After the humiliating clobbering I received in the first two rounds, it was nice to show that I can play competently some of the time.

And after the humiliating clobbering I received in the first two rounds, it was nice to show that I can... still get clobbered.  :(

MrHaas

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2013, 04:10:06 am »

Mic Qsenoch 3 - 0 MrHaas

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1367695106499.txt
Our strategies are fairly similar and I chalk this one up to luck/1st player. We both make some mistakes here, but I'm not sure the best way to play this one.

Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1367695787732.txt
Looks like an alt-VP board to me. I use Haggler and Hermit to gain extra cards to pump up both Silk Roads and Gardens (up to 5 VP for both). His deck depends heavily on trashing stuff and eventually he has eaten up all his money. He needs at least one Haggler badly to feed his Apprentice. I'm sorry MrHaas for running up the score on this one, I am bad at counting points and a little paranoid about losing on something silly like that, but I probably should have ended this one sooner.

Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130504/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1367696516119.txt
A beautiful board for an engine without significant trashing, and a good example of how Jack of all Trades isn't just for Big Money. I probably should have built up to double Province turns, but waiting too long to green can be dangerous. I have a couple fortunate early turns with that let me build up a big momentum lead.

Thanks for the match MrHaas!

Got butchered pretty hard in game 2 & 3, but learned a lot from your play! Good luck in next games.

zaubererer

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2013, 06:49:21 am »

Hmmm, i sended a mail to Sir Peebles but still no reply. I fear he forgot he has to play a game with me.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2013, 08:37:10 am »

user name had a conflict come up with our prearranged time and could not play at any other point this weekend so he unfortunately conceded.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2013, 01:16:15 pm »
+2

Beyond Awesome vs. kn1tt3r - 1:3

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50612f220cf2d91d287a93b8.1367768616629.txt
Young Witch board with Sage as bane and Ironmonger as support. What probably made the difference here is that BA bought an Armory to get more Ironmongers, plus he had a Sage more. Close game with a deserved winner.
Beyond Awesome 36 - 30 kn1tt3r

Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50612f220cf2d91d287a93b8.1367769149263.txt
Basically Courtyard/BM, where BA opens CY/Caravan, myself CY/Remake. I then get a very good 3rd turn with Remake and 2 Estates, and my somewhat slimmer deck prevails in the end.
Beyond Awesome 31 - 44 kn1tt3r

Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50612f220cf2d91d287a93b8.1367769633483.txt
Fool's Gold/Horse Traders for both of us. We split the FGs 5/5, I probably got a bit more lucky and finally empty the Estates as the 3rd pile for the win.
Beyond Awesome 38 - 41 kn1tt3r

Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50612f220cf2d91d287a93b8.1367770929856.txt
The most interesting and also a somewhat chaotic game with Knights, Rogue and Noble Brigand as the dominant cards. I don't know whether my (questionable) Chapel opening really made the difference here, but I can catch an "early" lead and win by 3-piling.
Beyond Awesome 18 - 29 kn1tt3r

Thanks to BA for some very close games. Unfortunately for him we had to play this match very early and he didn't get very much sleep before. GL for the rest of the tournament.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:15:46 pm by kn1tt3r »

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2013, 05:51:35 pm »

Result of Polk5440 versus shraeye:      3-3 DRAW   

Here are the logs, so Kirian can post the results. I'll post a few thoughts later.

Game 1) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367784713565.txt
(shraeye went first game 1)
Game 2) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367785583106.txt
Game 3) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367786465859.txt
Game 4) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367787739277.txt
Game 5) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367789143579.txt
(shraeye is up 3-2 and went first game 1, so we played a sixth with me going first)
Game 6) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367790200705.txt

I really enjoyed the match, thanks for the games, shraeye!

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2013, 05:54:57 pm »

Here are the logs, so Kirian can post the results. I'll post a few thoughts later.

Game 1) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367784713565.txt
(shraeye went first game 1)
Game 2) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367785583106.txt
Game 3) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367786465859.txt
Game 4) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367787739277.txt
Game 5) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367789143579.txt
(shraeye is up 3-2 and went first game 1, so we played a sixth with me going first)
Game 6) http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130505/log.50b19237e4b0c5dcbb3e0778.1367790200705.txt

Yup, I'd love to hear any thoughts you have.  I don't have nearly as much experience as some players, so every board is a learning experience

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:52 am »
+1

Comments below.

Courtyard, Herbalist, Scrying Pool, Scheme, Feodum, Ironmonger, Sea Hag, Cache, Festival, Mandarin

We play very similar strategies here, first going for Sea Hag, then going for a few Ironmongers, Courtyard, and Mandarin. I opened Sea Hag/Scheme which I like better than his Sea Hag/Courtyard, and even though we eventually split the curses, I think this opening contributed to me being able to win from the second seat. The other difference was that I picked up two Cache's while he went for Festivals. I was going Cache to increase the variance of my deck, and if it became a Duchy rush, I would be better positioned. In addition, a second Courtyard helped me. He bought the last Province, but I was ahead.

Sea Hag/Scheme into Courtyard-Big Money with a Cache or two without any other fanciness might be better than the decks we put together, though.

Native Village, Hermit, Wishing Well, Philosopher's Stone, Caravan, Feodum, Moneylender, Scavenger, Hunting Party, Upgrade

Yeash. What a horrible game for me. Having broke the first game, I tried to get clever by trying to find a better strategy than Moneylender-Hunting Party. I thought for a couple minutes, and came up with... Phil Stone, Hermit. What a mistake. I blame jet lag. I would have been better off mirroring and hoping for shuffle luck.

Hermit, Oasis, Pirate Ship, Thief, Bazaar, Horn of Plenty, Ill-Gotten Gains, Rogue, Tactician, Treasury

I went for a double Tac deck with Pirate Ship, Oasis, and Bazaar. Hermit to gain Oasis and protect against IGG. He goes single Tac, one Oasis, one Treasury and money. I was confident in my strategy and play in this game, but in the end, I was a little careless getting so far behind and a really bad shuffle for me late (my second Tac was the last card in my deck) and a good draw for him decided the game in his favor.

Squire, Scheme, Watchtower, Baron, Cutpurse, Silk Road, Golem, Mountebank, Nobles, King's Court

I was in control the whole way here. I open Baron/Squire (no Shelters) with an eye on Watchtower engine early into Mountebanks, Nobles, and KCs. He opted for Cutpurse over Baron and went light on Watchtowers, which I think was a costly early mistake here, because I got to 7 first, and was really able to clog him up.

Moat, Village, Philosopher's Stone, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag, Council Room, Knights, Tactician, Grand Market, Hoard

This game was a disaster for me and very well played by shraeye. I get confused about how to handle all the attacks and go heavy early on Moats. Of course, that means I don't pick up attacks myself early enough, and he is able to get some Grand Markets and pull a deck together. Nor do I have a good strategy later, expecting it to be a slog, but of course, my overly Moatified and attack light deck means it isn't.

shraeye is up 3-2 and went first game 1, so we played a sixth with me going first

Sage, Smugglers, Mining Village, Remake, Silk Road, Talisman, Apprentice, Bandit Camp, City, Horn of Plenty

When this kingdom came up, I salivated. I have been getting better at the timing in HoP mega-turn games, and I played this one as well as I could have, though by no means perfectly. Smugglers helped me extend my first player advantage early. I was able to set it up well and trigger the required HoP bonanza with activated cities and a well timed Apprentice. Not much else to this game. I just had to be careful I didn't wait too long, otherwise he would pull the trigger first.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2013, 01:09:17 am »

Matchups for Round 4 are likely to be posted a little bit later than usual tomorrow.  Apologies in advance.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2013, 01:14:06 am »

hey no prolem.  this is great.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.