Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19  All

Author Topic: ZMXIII: Monty Python Mafia! TOWN WINS!  (Read 40667 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
ZMXIII: Monty Python Mafia! TOWN WINS!
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:59:55 pm »

Welcome to ZMXIII: Month Python Witch Mafia!

This game is for exactly 8 players. Player list:

1. Eevee: Town-aligned Sir Bedevere Witch Hunter Turned into a newt after Day 2
2. Mcmcsalot: Mafia-Aligned Witch Lynched Day 3
3. Robz888
4. Galzria
5. Insomniac: Vanilla Townie Lynched Day 1
6. TwistedArcher: Mafia-Aligned Witch Lynched Day 2
7. Ashersky
8. Xeiron

Replacements: Yuma

Co-mods: shraeye, EFHW.

All flavor in this game is based on this scene from Monty Python and the holy grail. I think it is well suited for a mafia game. Flavor has no real bearing on the game so you do not need to watch the scene, but I recommend it.

Mafia Ruleset Changes in RED
Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.  Mafia members may communicate at all times in their Quicktopic.
3. If you have a role with an action your choices are due to me before the lynch. If I do not receive your choice via PM (or in your Quicktopic) before the lynch you will forfeit your actions.  In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the lynch will be used.
4. Roles with actions will not be able to submit an action during the confirmation stage
5. Any player with an action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
1.Whomever has the most votes currently on them at lynch deadline is lynched. In case of tie there will be no lynch.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.  Further votes will also be ignored.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName.  Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold or do not follow this syntax!  Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
5. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
7. This game will have 30 HOUR deadlines.  If a player or No Lynch does not have a simple majority at deadline, the player with most votes currently on them will be lynched, and the game will go into the next day.
8. Once you are killed (either via lynch or kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
9. Do not edit or delete posts.  We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
1. Bold, color text is reserved for the Mod.  No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.  Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
5. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game. Most or all of you have taken the Civility pledge, if you haven't I suggest you do.

Helpful Links:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:28:11 pm by liopoil »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Game Setup:

Mechanics/overview:

-Daystart
-Nightless (all actions must be submitted during the day, before the lynch.)
-Scum have daychat
-No Night kill after Day One lynch
-2 scum
-4-5 VTs
-1-2 town PRs, which are the same.
-scum powers are directly influenced by the number of PRs.
-scum and town PR(s) choose one of three options pre-game
-I will flip a coin pre-game to determine how many town PRs there are.

And now the PMs. These aren't finalized, will be edited for flavor and wording later:

Hi, --playername--, Welcome to ZMXIII: Monty Python Witch Mafia! You are a Town-Aligned Vanilla Mob-Member

You're just another member of the mob, searching for those witches who've disguised themselves as mob members. However, you don't have any fancy tools of science to find the witches, all you can do is point at players and yell, "a witch!" If someone questions why you think they're a witch you're just going to have to say "they look like one!" and hope that's convincing enough to burn them.

You have no powers beyond your voice and your vote, use them well!

You win when all threats to the town are eliminated

Please Confirm via PM
Here is the scum PM, which is the same no matter what:
Hi, --playername--, Welcome to ZMXIII: Monty Python Witch Mafia! You are a Mafia-Aligned Witch

They're out for you! Luckily, you are masters of disguise and look just like another member of the mob. You'll have to be extra careful to keep your cover. It is also your responsibility to dress other people up as witches to be burned instead of yourself.

You and your partner, --partnername--, share a QT where you can talk at any time. Here is the QT link: --QT link--

Once, at any point during each day except for day one, you or your partner may cast the spell to turn a player of your choice into a newt in your QT. That player will turn into a newt at the end of the day, and will not "get better".

You win when all town-aligned players are dead, or nothing can stop that from happening.

Please confirm via PM
The town power role PM, which is the same regardless of how many of them there are:
Hi, --playername--, Welcome to ZMXIII: Monty Python Witch Mafia! You are a Town-Aligned Sir Bedevere Witch Hunter

You're smarter than those silly mob members. You don't resort to silly accusations, you have tools of science to help you find the witches! Choose your tool of science pre-game. But be careful, people don't always trust tools of science and might burn you if they don't believe you! You're name is Sir Bedevere, and you may or may not have a twin brother.

Before the game starts, you must choose one of the following:

-Bridge maker. Once at any point during each of days 3 and 4, you may choose a player to attempt to build a bridge out of. I will tell you if you succeeded in building a bridge out of the player. (I'll tell you their alignment.)
-Day 2 Float test. Once at any point during Day 2, you may choose exactly three different currently alive players who aren't yourself to put in water. I will tell you exactly how many of those players float. (How many are witch-aligned)
-Day 3 scales and Day 1 or 2 science detector/brother searcher. Once during Day 3 you may choose exactly two different currently alive players who aren't yourself to weigh. I will tell you if at least one of those players weighs the same as a duck. (is witch-aligned). In addition, once during Day 1 OR 2, you may choose a player to search for science. I will tell you if that player has any tools of science/is your brother.

When the game starts, I will tell you which power your brother chose, if you have a brother. If you do not have a brother, the mafia will choose which power I tell you.You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

Please confirm via PM

The mafia QT first post if there is ONE witch hunter:
Mafia QT for --playername-- and --playername--

There is exactly one witch hunter in this game. Pre-game, you must choose a power for me to tell the witch hunter the other witch hunter chose. The available powers are in the second post of the game thread.

Pre-game, you must also choose one of the following powers:

-Dress somebody up as a witch: A random player will be dressed up as a witch at the start of the game. This player will be informed that they have been dressed up as a witch, but you will not be informed who that is. Each player has an equal chance of being dressed up as a witch, including real witches. When a dressed up as a witch player dies the fact that they were dressed up as a witch will not be revealed. This player looks extra suspicious and will take one fewer vote to burn.

-Hide the ashes: The alignment and role of the any player burned Day one will not be revealed.

-Sir Bedevere hunter: at any point during day 2 you may submit the names of three different currently alive players who aren't either of you. I will tell you if one of those players is Sir Bedevere.

The mob will be informed if you, the witches, chose their first, second, or third option at the start of day 2.

The mafia QT first post if there are TWO witch hunters:
Mafia QT for --playername-- and --playername--

There are exactly two witch hunters in this game. Pre-game, you must choose one of the following powers:

-Dress somebody up as a witch: At the start of Day 2, a random currently alive town-aligned player will be dressed up as a witch. This player will be informed that they have been dressed up as a witch, but you will not be informed who that is. Each alive town-aligned player has an equal chance of being dressed up as a witch. Players dressed up as a witch take one few vote to burn.

-Hide the ashes: The alignment and role of the first player to be burned will not be revealed. At the start of Day 2, you will be told which power a random witch hunter chose.

-Sir Bedevere hunter: Once at any point during each of days 2 and 3 you may submit the names of 2 different currently alive players who aren't yourself. I will tell you if at least one of those players is named Sir Bedevere.

The town will be informed if the mafia chose their first, second, or third option at the start of day 2.

This could be tweaked, so any comments would be great. The roles are a bit complicated, so feel free to ask any and all questions.

Edit: Flavor added
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:53:43 pm by liopoil »

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile

Eevee in.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile

Auto in as always, wouldn't miss a blitz for the world.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Well. Damn.

Flavor wins over availability.

/in
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

/tag for stats and general amusement

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

Just a comment about the Day3, Day4 cop. I think only 3/12 blitz games that we have played have gone to a day4. And 5/12 have only been 2 days. I realize that a lot of these are different setups, but part of blitz is having really short games with few days.

As such I question a bit about the utility of the day3/day4 cop investigation.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

although I see that the cop role is the most powerful and having it would imply that you risk that the game would last that long.

Is day4 even possible?

Day1 - mislynch 7 players alive
Night 1 - no night kill
Day 2 - mislynch 6 players alive
Night 2 - NK 5 players alive
Day 3 - mislynch 4 players alive
Night 3 - NK 3 players alive

So yes the Day4 investigation could be useful, but at that point the cop would not have been able to investigate and tell the results for day3, otherwise scum would have killed the cop by that point most likely...

Hmmm... maybe it is better than I originally thought.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

If town can lynch one scum and the cop can survive then town wins.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Actually, not quite true because the cop might not be believed on D4.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile

On your Hated power--it says Hated won't be revealed upon death, but if someone is lynched at L-1 instead of L, everyone will know they were hated anyway.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Yes, but they might be NKed.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Whoops, found a small problem, will fix tommorow.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile

/tag for flavor. Not
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile

/tag

I probably won't play, but for it to be a possibility it'd have to be at a very convenient time.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile

i'm a mod!

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile

although I see that the cop role is the most powerful and having it would imply that you risk that the game would last that long.

Is day4 even possible?

Day1 - mislynch 7 players alive
Night 1 - no night kill
Day 2 - mislynch 6 players alive
Day 3 - mislynch 4 players alive

So yes the Day4 investigation could be useful, but at that point the cop would not have been able to investigate and tell the results for day3, otherwise scum would have killed the cop by that point most likely...

Hmmm... maybe it is better than I originally thought.

2 scum in 8 players?

Day1(6/2) - mislynch 7 players alive
Night 1 - no night kill
Day 2(5/2) - mislynch 6 players alive
Day 3(3/2) - mislynch 4 players alive

Game allows for 2 mislynches, if scum is lynched any day 1/2/3, Day 4 starts(2/1) still mylo.

Day 2 triple investigator is sooo swingy. If D1 is a mislynch(usual) 5/2 is D2 start. Since 2 mislynches are all the game allows, a group of three that contains a witch is a useless result. If a group contains a witch, you cannot lynch all three because there could be one or both witches there. A no witch result wins town the game(on day 2), 5/2 means Witch hunter + 3 cleared = 4 IC and 3 possible, lynch all 3 for win. With two witch hunters this power is even better.

Day 3/4 cop wins game if he is alive on day 4(making it there)
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile

theory discussion pre-game??  That could be awkward during the game...

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

The idea is that claims won't be believed. scum can fakeclaim.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile

shhhhh; players get to figure this out for themselves.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile

shhhhh; players get to figure this out for themselves.

I see, didn't notice the unknown 1-2 pr's that's why witch-hunter investigation works. Someone claims witch hunter and the other one can investigate them.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Well, the thing is that I want to give players a better understanding of the strategies in this setup so they can help me correct anything that doesn't work. I have looked over everything multiple times and made sure everything people have mentioned thus far works, but just yesterday I found a problem which has now been changed.

Sounds like people like the flavor! That means I should probably start writing it...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:09:44 pm by liopoil »

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

/in - I like blitz too much
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 19 queries.