Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: What is your favorite village?  (Read 24063 times)

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite village?
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 02:03:23 pm »

Fortress. Maybe it'll wear off, but trash-for-benefit shenanigans have always been my favorite part of Dominion, and Fortress turns those up to 11.

Before DA, it was Fishing Village by a mile.

I'm surprised someone mentioned Native Village. Every time I try to build a Native Village megaturn deck I end up wanting to tear my eyes out as the NVs repeatedly throw more NVs onto the mat.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:05:21 pm by Stealth Tomato »

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 02:20:42 pm »

I love Fishing Village simply because it is that good, I really like FV-Torturer and FV-Wharf engines as they are pretty reliable.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 02:54:54 pm »

I just used Wandering Minstrel for sifting in a no trashing, heavy junking game (Young Witch into Mountebank). Surprisingly, I was able to build a powerful engine with Rabble, Mountebanks for cash, and Pawn for +Buy.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 02:59:28 pm »

Worker's Village for sure. Although the new ones seem pretty sweet as well.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 03:02:27 pm »

I've been burned by Wandering Minstrel too many times. What I need to remember is that it's at its best when my deck doesn't depend on Gold.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 03:14:51 pm »

Border Village or Worker's Village, followed by Fishing Village.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 03:19:44 pm »

Walled Village. I like buying one for those junky Double Sea Hag games.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 03:53:49 pm »

I would buy Village if it cost seven!
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 05:38:20 pm »

City. Just for sheer thematic wonderfulness.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 06:08:32 pm »
+1

Shanty Town, because I like working with limited trashing, where Shanty Town really shines for it's level 2 City ability.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 07:13:03 pm »

Tribute!

Wait...no...

Wandering Minstrel gets the nod from me too - it's sifting helps it set up engines and cycle your deck quickly.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 07:22:55 pm »

Procession/Rats
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 07:29:38 pm »

After looking through the list, it turns out that I'm really not in love with any of the village cards. Walled Village is probably my favorite just because it's the only village I think is worth buying outside of an engine deck.

I... sincerely hope you're joking.  I've always found Walled to be the worst Village.

Fishing and Border and definitely great, and I also have gotten quite fond of Squire.  It's also nice to get Trusty Steed, once Followers has been taken, of course.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 07:53:30 pm »

After looking through the list, it turns out that I'm really not in love with any of the village cards. Walled Village is probably my favorite just because it's the only village I think is worth buying outside of an engine deck.

I... sincerely hope you're joking.  I've always found Walled to be the worst Village.

Fishing and Border and definitely great, and I also have gotten quite fond of Squire.  It's also nice to get Trusty Steed, once Followers has been taken, of course.

Ruined says hello.
More seriously, you often want Steed before followers.

Actually answering the question, my favorite card which can be classified as a village is probably squire - which is quickly becoming one of my favorite cards. But my favorite village qua village is either Native or Worker's.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 10:37:29 pm »

Well, Ruined doesn't really count as one, because it only gives +1 Action.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 10:56:16 pm »
+2

I'm not joking. The topic is, "What is your favorite village?" Not, "What is the best village?"

A single Walled Village lets you pick up a few more terminals in an otherwise Treasure-based deck. It's the village that works best in a non-engine deck. That makes it interesting to me.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 12:35:25 am »

Hamlet and Festival are my favorites.  They give you +Buy, and introduce interesting tradeoffs (lack of card for Festival, hand management/discarding for Hamlet) that are sometimes drawbacks but work beautifully in "draw to X" and Menagerie engines, which I'm particularly fond of.

I still think Bazaar is mightily underrated, too; and I'm quite fond of Farming Village's defensive capabilities, even though I know it's not objectively the best Village out there.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:02 am »

Dame Molly.

No seriously though... Necropolis gets an honorable mention for just how mind-twisting it is, but I like Border Village because it's the one that has highest potential for Shenanigans. It's the one that most changes how you build and play your deck, especially if it's the only village around and you want to build an engine.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 08:55:49 am »

Fortress.

It may not be optimal, but it's FUN to KC a Bishop with Fortress in hand, or Death Cart a Fortress, or Rats a Fortress, or . . .

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 08:59:25 am »

Fortress.

It may not be optimal, but it's FUN to KC a Bishop with Fortress in hand, or Death Cart a Fortress, or Rats a Fortress, or . . .
Pretty sure KC->Bishop is usually the optimal play when you have a Fortress in hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2013, 09:09:06 am »

Ruined says hello.

Often? Could you elaborate? There are obvious situations where you don't want Followers at all, but I can't think of any common spot where you eventually want Followers, yet pick Steed first.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2013, 09:26:57 am »
+1

Ruined says hello.

Often? Could you elaborate? There are obvious situations where you don't want Followers at all, but I can't think of any common spot where you eventually want Followers, yet pick Steed first.

Typically thin-deck situations where you can pick up both in a turn, but I'm with you on this. Steed is good but unspectacular (a workhorse, heh). Followers isn't always good, but when it is, it's powerful.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2013, 10:17:41 am »

Steed is spectacular when it's the only Village, but still good otherwise as well - you can use it for +$2/+2 Cards in those circumstances, which is very nice.  I don't think I've ever actually used the Silver shuffle.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2013, 11:33:12 am »

you often want Steed before followers.

If you think you'll be able to get both, either because you can do it in one turn, or because your opponent isn't going Tournaments or something, Steed is better to have for improving your deck a lot of the time. And there are times it's the only village and/or there is a good counter to the attacks of Followers, so it's actually more valueable overall than Followers. But in terms of how often these occur, I think it's infrequent (or unimportant) enough that taking Followers first always is still a decent rule of thumb.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2013, 11:40:44 am »

Steed is spectacular when it's the only Village, but still good otherwise as well - you can use it for +$2/+2 Cards in those circumstances, which is very nice.  I don't think I've ever actually used the Silver shuffle.

I just played an IRL game last night where my first use of Trusty Steed was +$2 and gain 4 Silvers. The second use was +2 Actions/+$2, but only because I had a Library in hand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.