Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Forager/Draw-to-X  (Read 1492 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Combo: Forager/Draw-to-X
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:51:37 pm »
+1

Forager/draw-to-X seems like a strong tempo-building combo. The premise is simple: use Forager to clean out your hand, and draw back up. Forager serves the same purpose as any virtual coin, but it cleans out two hand slots instead of one. Plus, it gives a buy and thins your deck.

The weakness of Forager is the same as any of the discard-for-coin cards (Horse Traders, Secret Chamber [but not Vault because Vault draws too])—you're paying for the cash with both the discarded/trashed card slots in your hand and the card itself. By default, Horse Traders has a per-card value of $1 (use 3 cards to get $3); Secret Chamber is a max of $0.8 without draw; Forager is $0.5 if there's a Copper already in the trash, which makes it worse than Copper. But, because the draw-to-X cards love handsize reduction, Forager's drawback of shrinking your hand ends up as a benefit.

It's especially potent with Jack because Jack can't trash your starting Coppers, while Forager prefers to eat at least one Copper before starting in on the Estates. And, since Jack is flooding your deck with Silver, it's not a huge loss to chop a Silver in the mid-game to power up all your Foragers. Use Forager, and Jack becomes +3 cards (with filtering), +1 coin, gain a Silver.

The drawback is that your opponent can benefit from you powering up the Forager, especially if you trash a Silver or more valuable coin. But, the tempo lead from the increased cycling (copper trashing as well as the extra draw-to-X benefit) probably makes it worthwhile in most circumstances.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Forager/Draw-to-X
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:53:04 pm »

As non-terminal cash (potentially a lot of non-terminal cash), Forager can combo with a lot of things. Hell, I've created a Tactician-Forager deck (in a kingdom with 4 treasures) that spent every turn trashing a bunch of Copper, buying 1-2 Provinces, and replacing most of the trashed Copper.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

Forager/Counterfeit is particularly nice, though as always with Forager you have to be very careful about giving too much to your opponents.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 11:01:04 pm »

I tried Forager/Jack/Counterfeit (with some Village I think?) the other day but it didn't work out so hot. Maybe I executed it wrong but I think the Counterfeit just clogs it too much for Jack draw to cope?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »

There's really no reason to have a Counterfeit.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.