Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Fortress/Farmland  (Read 1955 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Combo: Fortress/Farmland
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:51:16 pm »

This isn't a full-on combo but is a nice interaction: Farmland lets you "trash" a Fortress into a Farmland, while retaining your Fortress. This makes it easier to run the Farmland pile or get Farmlands->Province going.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Fortress/Farmland
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:00:15 pm »
+3

This isn't a full-on combo but is a nice interaction: Farmland lets you "trash" a Fortress into a Farmland, while retaining your Fortress. This makes it easier to run the Farmland pile or get Farmlands->Province going.

If you want to run the Farmland pile or get +2 VP, I see the point, but in general (especially early, and especially if you want to trash Farmland for Gold) trash the Fortress for Gold seems like it would be better, because you can also trash Gold for Province, but Gold is also good if you draw it some other time (like, buy that Province instead of remodeling into it, and keep the Gold).

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:12:10 pm »

If you want to run the Farmland pile or get +2 VP, I see the point, but in general (especially early, and especially if you want to trash Farmland for Gold) trash the Fortress for Gold seems like it would be better, because you can also trash Gold for Province, but Gold is also good if you draw it some other time (like, buy that Province instead of remodeling into it, and keep the Gold).

I agree with this. What this combo lets you do is spend $6 for 2 VPs and a Gold - that's pretty comparable to, say, Hoard buying a Duchy, although Hoard gives you $2 rather than having to be dead in your hand, and you get a $5 worth 3VPs instead of a $6 with 2VPs. It's a nice interaction, but I don't think I'd seek it out most of the time.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:22:06 pm »

I'd actually say that you don't want a deck of farmlands really and it's better to have only one or two to promote up to to provinces. You certainly don't want many if farmlands themselves run out. In general a hand with two farmlands is unlikely to be turn out well.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:32:07 pm »
+7

With few exceptions, if you're gaining Farmlands rather than buying them, you're doing it wrong.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:33:04 pm »

I know farmland is amazing in silk road games, when you have the money.  I've easily gotten two VP cards at once with them.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:44:52 pm »

There are a number of reasons why you would want to gain a farmland off of a farmland:

You're running the farmlands out (and... something, like this ends the game or draws a line in the sand so that the opponent CAN'T pile out some other pile)

Your opponent's strategy needs to be able to farmland something (usually another farmland) into a province to work, and you don't have this limitation - ergo you want to run farmlands out ASAP, because then they're floundering around doing nothing.

The game will end before you see these cards again, and you're just maximizing points.

Possibly silk road

In any of these scenarios, which are already pretty unlikely, it's even far more unlikely that you need to do this TWICE in the same turn - and have the money and buys to do so. But of course, edge cases, edge cases everywhere.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 01:15:57 am »

If you want to run the Farmland pile or get +2 VP, I see the point, but in general (especially early, and especially if you want to trash Farmland for Gold) trash the Fortress for Gold seems like it would be better.
Typically, once I feel I have enough money in my deck I'll stop buying gold and start buying duchy. (returning back to buy more money if I'm near a reshuffle and/or I'm worried about my deck being too green without victory conditions immediately in sight) If farmland is on the board, and I have 6 but don't want money, I would buy it over duchy since it gives me almost as many points, and then I have an option to spend 6 with farmland in hand and net a province down the road, at the cost of 1 point up front. So yeah, I think it makes more sense to go for gold in the general case, unless silk road is on the table and/or you don't need money in your deck due to some sort of actions-that-give-money + sifting combo without +buys

Edit: Its at least a neat way to make use of a fortress that you drew dead/deliberately didn't play to avoid triggering a reshuffle/didn't play b/c you'd rather net farmland+gold than +1 cards +2 actions OR: buying a farmland from Black Market to trash the fortress for a gold, and then play the fortress... go edge cases!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:26:39 am by serakfalcon »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.