Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How did I lose this Minion game?  (Read 1482 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
How did I lose this Minion game?
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:41:25 pm »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130423/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1366742328447.txt

I'm not sure how I lost this game—my opponent went for mostly alt-VP cards while I raced Minions. Despite a 7-0 Minion and giving my opponent 4 card hands for the whole game, I still lost.

The only move that I wasn't sure about was the Potion, but when I hit $4 and didn't want to activate my opponent's cities by buying the last Island, it seemed like a decent move since it would virtually guarantee a double Minion hit.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Re: How did I lose this Minion game?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:55:11 pm »

I think you needed + buy.
And once you have your first Minion, Fishing village should be better than silver.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 03:14:05 pm »

In a Minion game, any virtual coin at all is MUCH better than Silver, and possibly even than Gold.  Treasures will be discarded, whereas virtual coin can be played before discarding your hand with Minion.

In this game, you should have opened Minion/Squire (instead of Minion/nothing) and focused your strategy on Minion, Fishing Village, and Squire.  The idea is to use Fishing Village and Squire to give virtual coin and more actions, as well as using Squire for the +Buy.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:45:50 pm »

I agree completely. After a couple of squires and FVs, you can easily add terminals like Saboteur to wreck his points and Island to continue being reliable after greening. It seems you can quickly get to a point in which you reliably buy Island+Province and Island something away every turn, a strange kind of Golden deck.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »

You should have taken the turn 1 squire. I think you also got the islands wrong here. You should have not bought one on turn 3 just for the chance of buying it next turn and trashing the hovel, which was the actual draw. Without that hovel bonus the islands are too slow for a multitude of reasons. Take fishing villages ahead of silver. You also seemed to discard too often with the minion such as turn 7. If you wanted a golem you needed to buy the potion on turn 8 as it could then affect the game but after that it is too late.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:13:01 pm by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.