Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Harry Potter Mafia  (Read 20959 times)

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
Harry Potter Mafia
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:39:17 pm »

Harry Potter Mafia

Player List
    1.  yuma
    2.  Jimmmmm
    3.  liopoil
    4.  Galzria
    5.  chairs
    6.  Voltaire
    7.  mail-mi
    8.  Robz
    9.  Umbrage of Snow
    10.  nkirbit
    11.  Eevee
    12. Ashersky

Tag:
    Shraeye
    Voltaire

Backup mod: Twistedarcher

Day starts:

Base Setup– see PM’s for powers

You are the incoming first year class at Hogwarts.  Each of you has a mentor helping to guide you through this difficult first year.  These mentors are veterans of the war against You-Know-Who.  Some of them are dead, but this is magic, so that's ok.  But some of the mentors are Death Eaters, and they have converted 3 of your class into Death Eaters as well.  It will be up to the rest of you to root out these evildoers.  And even though you are surrounded by highly skilled witches and wizards, you have to do this all on your own (and be sure to face lots of mortal danger so it's a good story).  But some of you have already learned some skills from your mentors that may come in handy...

2 Death Eaters
    1 Death Eater Legilimens/Impedimenta (Rolecop/Roleblock)
    1 Ministry-Aligned Vote Fixer
    1 Ministry-Aligned Healer (Doctor)
    1 Ministry-Aligned Auror (Tracker/Watcher)
    6 Ministry-Aligned Witches/Wizards

Each player is also a Neighbor with two other people.

Role PMs

Each player will have this section in their role PM:
    You are a member of [House name here].  You will be Neighbors with your fellow [House name]s,  [playername] and [playername] and will have night chat in the [House] Common Room.
    • Each night you and your housemates may choose one player who you think is scum.  This player gets a permanent vote from your House.  If any player has permanent votes from all the Houses except their own, they are lynched at the start of the next Day.  Your House has to reach a unanimous consensus to place a permanent vote.
    Welcome to Hogwarts, [PlayerName]. You are a Ministry-Aligned Witch/Wizard .  Your mentor is [flavor name here]
    • Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions. (But keep your wand handy too, just not in your back pocket.)
    You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated and there is at least one Ministry player alive.
    Welcome to Hogwarts, [PlayerName]. You are a Ministry-Aligned Healer.  Your mentor is Madam Pomfrey
    • Once each night you can submit the name of a player.  That player will be protected from nightkills that night.
    • Your probability of success as healer depends the number of permanent House votes you have at the END of the night phase.  Each vote reduces your probability of success by 25%.
    • One night only you may choose a player to give an Invisibility Potion, a 1-shot means of escape from attack, rendering 1 killing spell ineffective (1-shot Bulletproof).  You can only give this potion to someone who has no permanent votes at the beginning of the night.
    You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated and there is at least one Ministry player alive.
    Welcome to Hogwarts, [PlayerName]. You are a Ministry-Aligned Auror/Combined Tracker-Watcher.  Your mentor is Alistair (Mad-Eye) Moody.
    • Each night you may submit the name of one player via PM.  At the end of the night you will be told the names of anyone that player targeted that night and anyone who targeted that player that night.
    • Because your mentor is a bit paranoid, you can be kind of jumpy too.  You are suspicious of everyone, and each night that you catch someone there will be one other person in your results list who doesn't belong there (randomly chosen from the other players still alive that night).  This person will always be in a list with at least one other person.  So if you get "targeted X" and "was targeted by noone" (besides you) as your true results, you also will receive "targeted Z" as a result.  You could not receive a random "targeted by" result because there are no true names on that list other than your own.
    Welcome to Hogwarts, [PlayerName]. You are a 2-shot Vote Fixer .  Your mentor is Dolores Umbridge.  While you are associated with the Ministry, you like to be behind the scenes pulling the strings so things go the way you want them to. 
    • During two different night phases you may submit the name of one player and one House via PM.  That player’s permanent vote by the House you specify will be erased.
    • This action can be tracked and watched, with the chosen player as your target.
    Welcome to Hogwarts, [PlayerName]. You are a Death Eater, along with your Death Eater partners, [PlayerName] and [PlayerName].  Your mentor is [mentor name here]
    • Your safeclaim mentor is [safename here].
    • During each Night Phase you may talk with your partners here: [QuickTopic link].
    • Each night phase, you or one of your partners may perform the factional Avada Kadavra
    You win when you control half the Town or nothing can prevent this from occurring.
    Welcome to Hogwarts, [PlayerName]. You are a Death Eater Legilimens/Impedimenta, along with your Death Eater partners, [PlayerName] and [PlayerName].  Your mentor is Barty Crouch, Jr.
    • Your safeclaim mentor is [safename here].
    • During each Night Phase you may talk with your partners here: [QuickTopic link].
    • Each night phase, you or one of your partners may perform the factional Avada Kadavra
    • Each night phase you may choose to either investigate another player's role, or block another player's night actions.  You can submit your orders by PM or in the QT thread.
    You win when you control half the Town or nothing can prevent this from occurring.
    Flavor names ARE relevant to roles and therefore alignment.

Mafia Ruleset (blatantly stolen from Axxle Jimmmmm)

Game Rules:
    General Gameplay and Etiquette:
    1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
    2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members All roles with a quicktopic may communicate at night.  House members may also talk in their Common Rooms during the confirmation stage. Death Eaters will not have access to their QT until N1.
    3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions. In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the deadline will be used.
    4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
    5. Any player or house with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM or bolded QT post to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
    6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
    1. A simple majority (rounded up) of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline.
    2. Once you have reached a simple majority, no further unvoting will change someone’s fate. Further votes will also be ignored.
    3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
    3a.  House lynches do not trigger the end of a day.
    4. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName. Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold! Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
    5. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
    6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of this vote type is required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
    7. In-House voting:  House votes must be agreed upon unanimously to become permanent.  The lynch is not instantaneous, however.  Players may change their minds until Day starts.  At the start of Day, any change ordered by the Fixer will be applied and then the House vote counts will be presented, and if applicable, lynched players will die and flip.
    8. This game will have 2 week a base of 7 day lynch deadlines and 48 72-hour night deadlines, extended at my discretion for weekends and holidays.  Unused Daytime real-time days can accumulate with a reasonable degree of approximation to be used in future Days.
    9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
    10. Do not edit or delete posts. We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
    1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
    2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
    3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
    4. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
    5.Prods of missing players will be issued upon request after 48 hours of no activity. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
    6. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
    7. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
    8. No QT links are to be shared with any other player. So for example if a member of Ravenclaw is also a Death Eater, he or she is not allowed to share the Ravenclaw QT link with his or her Death Eater partner(s) from other houses. Real or fake quoting of players (not mods) from QTs is acceptable.

The Golden Rule:
    Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.  If you haven’t already, check out and endorse the Civility Pledge.

Helpful Links:

Main Wiki Page

Newbie Guide

Frequently Asked Questions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

Mafia Theory[/list]
    « Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:21:25 am by EFHW »

Eevee

• Saboteur
    • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
    • A wild Eevee appears!
      • View Profile
    Re: Harry Potter Mafia
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:40:05 pm »

yeeees!

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:43:45 pm »

oh boy this looks fun /in!
    Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
    Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
    Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
    • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:46:38 pm »

/in /in /in /in/in /in /in /in/in /in /in /in /in /in /in /in /in /in /in /in /in /in /in /in
    I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Archetype

• Jester
    • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:47:46 pm »

I like the premise. But my fear is that the neighborizer will die early, and then all the fun will be lost.

Maybe make 4 'Head of Houses' who have that power. But one is Gryffindor, one is Slyverin, etc. And then make everyone a VT. But then you can have each house have a full power role, but both players must agree on the target each night.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:48:48 pm »

quick look, town looks really strong unless I am confused on what the neighborizer is. Also survivor looks awesome, if you get nk'd your revealed and nobody really wants to lynch you. I mean scum can keep you around and win and town doesn't want to waste a lynch on non mafia. Mafia will know that you didn't die and there's no reason not to claim at that point.
    Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
    Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
    Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

EFHW

• Spy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:53:58 pm »

quick look, town looks really strong

That is a concern, but when is the last time town won?  Also, scum could end up being neighbors, and use it toward their scummy ends.

EFHW

• Spy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:54:56 pm »

I like the premise. But my fear is that the neighborizer will die early, and then all the fun will be lost.

Maybe make 4 'Head of Houses' who have that power. But one is Gryffindor, one is Slyverin, etc. And then make everyone a VT. But then you can have each house have a full power role, but both players must agree on the target each night.

That idea has potential ...

Kooshie

• Herbalist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:55:28 pm »

What do you mean by both players?  There is only one head of house, right?

Archetype

• Jester
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:01:54 pm »

The head of house can observe the 2 players they neighborize.

Another twist is to not guarantee that the House Heads are Ministry-aligned. So have the alignments randomly decided (but slanted towards Town).

Kooshie

• Herbalist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:07:57 pm »

The head of house can observe the 2 players they neighborize.

Another twist is to not guarantee that the House Heads are Ministry-aligned. So have the alignments randomly decided (but slanted towards Town).

Okay, I understand.  I think it's a good idea.  What about you, EFHW?

yuma

• Minion
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 09:08:43 pm »

/tag.

The only thing I will say is that open setups are more susceptible to being broken and being solved.  I haven't looked this over in any detail so I don't know if this one would be or not. If this will be rmm I won't play--and at this point this appears a bit more like a rmm game, although we have never had an open rmmm game before. If it is a normal game I have no idea if I will be in because this probably won't start in the que fir at least 3 months based off how the que has been moving of late

liopoil

• Margrave
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 09:30:12 pm »

I'd suggest giving away all the flavor names and making the scum factional power a normal 2-shot rolecop. This makes scum stronger (town is too powerful right now). Also maybe cut a VT to make it 13.

Probably /in.

The neighborizer probably needs tweaking as well... arche's idea is interesting...

Robz888

• Margrave
    • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:55:34 pm »

My sense is that this could easily be a normal game, but I do think it requires a bit of tweaking. The town seems too strong to me.
    I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

EFHW

• Spy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 10:59:52 pm »

The survivor could have a 1-shot vig kill.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 12:28:18 am »

This set-up is too susceptible to Follow the Cop.

Cop claims D1, JK stays silent and protect him every day until the JK dies.  JK just needs to not be suspected/forced to claim/lynched.

Scum cop doesn't do much, even if you make it a Role Cop.  They're looking for the JK to beat Follow the Cop, but only get two chances.

I do think it can be a regular game with tweaks.

Separately, as the keeper of the Index, I believe this game would be MXXX (M30), or maybe M29 depending on Archetype.  We've got Cuzz, raerae, shraeye, and yuma all in the queue to host regular games.  Given that, I would suggest not accepting sign ups yet, and treating this thread as a discussion for balance and set-up.

That's just me--if all the mods ahead of you in line are good with you jumping ahead, then by all means, go for it.  But the queue has been long-standing.
    f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
    2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 12:29:20 am »

This set-up is too susceptible to Follow the Cop.

Cop claims D1, JK stays silent and protect him every day until the JK dies.  JK just needs to not be suspected/forced to claim/lynched.

I'm wrong here -- Cop couldn't investigate.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 12:32:14 am »

I'd want to roll Survivor.  Claim D1, promise never to vote or use your shot, and just wait for the game to end to win with whomever is there.  Killing the survivor helps no one, so there's no incentive to lynch.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 12:37:03 am »

Arch is on to something cool here.

I'd say 13-player game, if you really want the survivor role.

4 Houses (QTs) rolled regardless of alignment.  So I'd roll like this:

Random rolls to assign roles (VT, Cop, etc.).  Now everyone has a role and alignment.
    New random rolls to select Houses for everyone but the survivor.

Now, instead of a Head of Household, make each night in the QT a mini-game.  Majority of votes required to use their power and for target.  They have 48 (72?) hours to complete.  No majority vote means no power used.

Separately, scum have a QT and can scheme.  If they're lucky, all three are in different houses and can try to sway power use.  At worst, they all end up in one house, which would stink, but hey, random is random.

Plus, players still have PRs, so they make their own decisions, but have extra info (House QT) to based their decision.  I'd probably limit the Cops somehow, though.

Archetype

• Jester
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 01:34:14 am »

Arch is on to something cool here.

I'd say 13-player game, if you really want the survivor role.

4 Houses (QTs) rolled regardless of alignment.  So I'd roll like this:

Random rolls to assign roles (VT, Cop, etc.).  Now everyone has a role and alignment.
    New random rolls to select Houses for everyone but the survivor.

Now, instead of a Head of Household, make each night in the QT a mini-game.  Majority of votes required to use their power and for target.  They have 48 (72?) hours to complete.  No majority vote means no power used.

Separately, scum have a QT and can scheme.  If they're lucky, all three are in different houses and can try to sway power use.  At worst, they all end up in one house, which would stink, but hey, random is random.

Plus, players still have PRs, so they make their own decisions, but have extra info (House QT) to based their decision.  I'd probably limit the Cops somehow, though.
    I like this large scale version a lot better than my suggestion. It may end up being similiar to Masons and Monks, which may not be too bad.

At the beginning of the game, all players except the survivor, are divide into 1 of 4 houses randomly. No one will know the alignment of the players in your house, and you'll all be given a QT to talk in at night.

So each house has their powerrole, and then some town power roles and 1 scum power role (Godfather for Voldemort?). For a house to use it's powerrole, the majority of the players in the house must agree on a target. If a majority is not obtained, the power is not used.

When a player dies, their flavor name, role name, alignment and what house they were a part of will all be revealed.

I think this could be run multiple times, but I'd like to suggest a few changes to the town PRs:

Jailkeeper and Cop are fine, but we'd need to make one or both of them X-shots depending on the powers of the houses.

I think the Survivor (if you still want to include it) should become a Compulsive X. That way the factions would have to persuade the Survivor to help them, but I would feel bad for the Survivor since they misss out on all the fun QT stuff. Maybe instead a 1-shot House of their choice joining?.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 01:44:23 am »

I have zero interest in Harry Potter, but if this game ends up being as cool as it sounds like it could be, I'll won't have any choice but to play. I'll let you know.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 01:46:34 am »

I think the Survivor (if you still want to include it) should become a Compulsive X. That way the factions would have to persuade the Survivor to help them, but I would feel bad for the Survivor since they misss out on all the fun QT stuff. Maybe instead a 1-shot House of their choice joining?.

Or Houses could try to recruit on N0.

EFHW

• Spy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 10:10:01 am »

Separately, as the keeper of the Index, I believe this game would be MXXX (M30), or maybe M29 depending on Archetype.  We've got Cuzz, raerae, shraeye, and yuma all in the queue to host regular games.  Given that, I would suggest not accepting sign ups yet, and treating this thread as a discussion for balance and set-up.

Absolutely.  I am happy to wait my turn.

EFHW

• Spy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 10:13:28 am »

Having mini-games at night is a cool idea.  Should we make the house powers not 1-shot, then?  So there is more than one chance for a mini-game.

We could do away with the individual powers, or make them something more flavorful, less impacting on the game.

How could we make Death Eaters stronger?

EFHW

• Spy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 10:16:57 am »

Or Houses could try to recruit on N0.

The problem with houses recruiting is they may try to recruit the same people.  In the original plan, a different house was created each night, including N0.  We could keep that structure, make the survivor the neighborizer, and have three people in each QT instead of 2.  Each house would have one "mini-game" re: their one-shot power.
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 19 queries.