Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: 6000 rating  (Read 22832 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: 6000 rating
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 08:31:21 am »
+1

Goko opponents may play differently if they are accustomed to playing against multiple opponents or bots.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2013, 12:27:52 pm »

There's been a definite skill drop since Iso. There was a point at which I was arguably world-class, and I never got above #3 on Iso and typically hung around the middle of the top 10. I am certainly not world-class now and yet I'm sitting #3 on Goko.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 02:54:08 pm »

There's been a definite skill drop since Iso. There was a point at which I was arguably world-class, and I never got above #3 on Iso and typically hung around the middle of the top 10. I am certainly not world-class now and yet I'm sitting #3 on Goko.

Is it just that some of the best Iso players haven't transitioned?

There was (surprise, surprise) a huge increase in Goko skill when the Iso players transitioned in March and April.  None of Goko's top-10 from early March is higher than 30 today.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 04:44:26 pm »

Is it just that some of the best Iso players haven't transitioned?

There was (surprise, surprise) a huge increase in Goko skill when the Iso players transitioned in March and April.  None of Goko's top-10 from early March is higher than 30 today.

I think it's a couple of things. Many players haven't transitioned. Many of those who transitioned have let their game slip. Dark Ages threw a lot of people for a loop.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2013, 04:54:52 pm »

Also, the climb and fall speeds can be very fast.  I climbed about 50 places in three games to get back into the top 100, after a fall of similar magnitude the other day.

This also gives a sense of how many good players haven't transitioned; I was never in the top 100 on Iso.  Top 250, yes, back when there were fewer players, but generally around 400 recently.  So something like three in four good players haven't transitioned.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2013, 05:35:15 pm »

I played my first two pro games ever on Goko earlier. I won both and gained almost 4000 points, which seems insane. I went from 1000 to 4800 and am in the top 500 now, which is...cool...I guess...but seems totally bizarre and wrong after just 2 games. I've seen lvl 5000 compared to lvl 20-25 on iso in this thread, so this is like a 15+ lvl jump in iso terms.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2013, 05:37:49 pm »

I played my first two pro games ever on Goko earlier. I won both and gained almost 4000 points, which seems insane. I went from 1000 to 4800 and am in the top 500 now, which is...cool...I guess...but seems totally bizarre and wrong after just 2 games. I've seen lvl 5000 compared to lvl 20-25 on iso in this thread, so this is like a 15+ lvl jump in iso terms.
It's not even like he beat a 6000 or anything, he beat me, and I was like 5000 before the first, and 4600 after the second.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »

the first few games dont say that much. you have a high deviation and gain a lot or loose a lot of points in 1 game.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2013, 05:41:10 pm »

You will notice that when you look at your name in the leaderboard, it doesn't say your position next to it, but "prov". This means your rating is provisional, and is just the best guess that can be made with the limited information available. You won't actually appear on the leaderboard (visible to others), once you have played more games.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »
+4

A rating is not a reward for playing well, it is for finding people of similar skill levels so that you can have reasonably evenly matched games. A rating jump is neither fair nor unfair; it is either accurate or inaccurate. Of course you can "gain" 4000 points for winning your first two pro games; if you beat someone around 5000 level in your first game, the system is not going to say "oh, I guess you should play with opponents around 1050 instead of 1000".
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:52:54 pm by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2013, 08:37:00 pm »

You will notice that when you look at your name in the leaderboard, it doesn't say your position next to it, but "prov". This means your rating is provisional, and is just the best guess that can be made with the limited information available. You won't actually appear on the leaderboard (visible to others), once you have played more games.

Yep, that's all correct. Hopefully (if I play more in the near future) I can keep my rating up and get on the leaderboard. I am happy that my rating is "correcting itself" quickly, but I was totally astonished to see it change that fast. If it settles to a more reasonable pace of change when I have more games under my belt, I can work with that.

A rating is not a reward for playing well, it is for finding people of similar skill levels so that you can have reasonably evenly matched games. A rating jump is neither fair nor unfair; it is either accurate or inaccurate. Of course you can "gain" 4000 points for winning your first two pro games; if you beat someone around 5000 level in your first game, the system is not going to say "oh, I guess you should play with opponents around 1050 instead of 1000".

Like I said, I'm happy that I'll already be able to join 4000+ games since I am pretty sure that's where I'd end up eventually, I'm just comparing it with the only thing I really know how to compare it to (iso) and the dramatic change was startling. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining that anything is "unfair," it's just very different from my only real point of reference.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:22 pm »

Going 9-1 (only loss to stef) in my first 10 put me at #14 or so on the leaderboard.  Two losses then dropped me about 900 points but I suppose the system is very quick to reward play and correct with large fluctuations.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2013, 06:03:45 am »

Isotropic's rating system was similar, in that you had a skill level and also a confidence. The difference was (and I assume it is a difference, but I don't think Goko have said how their ratings work), Isotropic gave you the lower bound of a 99% confidence interval as your rating, so that people who played fewer games were biased towards having lower ratings. I presume that was because an Isotropic rating was meant to be a status thing as well as for matchmaking.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2013, 08:09:52 am »

I'm just comparing it with the only thing I really know how to compare it to (iso) and the dramatic change was startling.

This is a little bit of a false comparison because, presumably, you were slowly getting better over time on Iso. You switch to Goko, and you still have your higher skill level, so the rating system should more quickly recognize your higher underlying TrueSkill (*ahem*). If you had started a fresh account on Iso at some point (like dondon did, I think?) you would have found that you would have achieved the same rating much more quickly the second time around.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if there actually is a difference, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.