Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Procession --> Band of Misfits (as Smithy)  (Read 1676 times)

Hertz_Doughnut

• Baron
  • Respect: +227
    • View Profile
Procession --> Band of Misfits (as Smithy)
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:29:24 pm »
+1

All the references I could find of Procession & Band of Misfits deals the Fortress scenario.  However, what happens when I play BoM as Smithy instead?

Argument 1:
- Since Smithy does not have an on-trash ability, Procession plays it twice, and then upgrades to a $5 action card... the way it would if it were an actual Smithy

Argument 2:
- Procession puts BoM in the trash before doing the "upgrade".  Once BoM is in the trash, it has left play, and is now a BoM (and not a Smithy)... therefore it upgrades to a $6 action card.  This is analogous to the Fortress scenario, where the BoM leaves play (back to the hand) and "forgets" that it used to cost $4.

Personally, I lean toward #2, but can't find anything definitive on the issue.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Procession --> Band of Misfits (as Smithy)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:11:34 pm »
+2

It's #2.

Procession trashes the card before gaining you a card, same as with Fortress. When you trash it, it is no longer in play and so reverts back to BoM, the only difference is where it ends up (your hand or the trash).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Procession --> Band of Misfits (as Smithy)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:35:37 pm »
+1

All the references I could find of Procession & Band of Misfits deals the Fortress scenario.  However, what happens when I play BoM as Smithy instead?

Argument 1:
- Since Smithy does not have an on-trash ability, Procession plays it twice, and then upgrades to a $5 action card... the way it would if it were an actual Smithy

Argument 2:
- Procession puts BoM in the trash before doing the "upgrade".  Once BoM is in the trash, it has left play, and is now a BoM (and not a Smithy)... therefore it upgrades to a $6 action card.  This is analogous to the Fortress scenario, where the BoM leaves play (back to the hand) and "forgets" that it used to cost $4.

Personally, I lean toward #2, but can't find anything definitive on the issue.

Definitely 2. But I don't think it has much to do with "forgetting" that it used to cost $4. It's a matter of when do we care about how much it costs. And we don't care about how much it costs until after it's been trashed, which is after it is a BoM again. So after trashing it, you THEN check to see how much it costs, in order to gain an action card costing $1 more than it. At that point, it costs $5.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.