Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Two Great Uses for Band of Misfits  (Read 14959 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Two Great Uses for Band of Misfits
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:20 pm »
+10

From the beginning Band of Misfits is a card that I have never completely obtained a solid grasp of, but I recently played a game--wish I would have grabbed the log--in which it was extremely useful, especially with two cards: Tournament and Coppersmith.

On a board that had: Crossroads, Swindler, Urchin, Coppersmith, Tournament, Trader, Silk Road, Band of Misfits, Boarder Village and one other card I opened 5/2.

I quickly realized that Band of Misfits would be a key card in allowing me to use it as coppersmith in hands were I had 3 or 4 copper to quickly get up to 6 or 8. Using it I scored an early gold and an early province leading me to obtain 3/5 of the Prizes. I was able to use BOM as Tournament later in the game when I had a province in hand. I think I only bought 1 Tournament, which was nice because using BOM I didn't have to worry about it being a dud against another player's revealed Province.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Two Great Uses for Band of Misfits
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 01:24:58 am »

I love those games where you use cards like Coppersmith, even if you do it indirectly. +1 for you, sir.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:28:19 am »
+1

I'm just beginning to understand how important a card Band of Misfits is. It's really great.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:46:11 pm »

I've used BoM pretty well while using Throne Room/Poor House.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:11:30 pm »
+3

I like to think of it like a build-your-own Intrigue card -- you get to assemble all the little things you need at the right time, for a premium. But, sometimes that premium's worth it!

One example where I've had good luck with BoM is when Menagerie and a cheap (discard) attack is on the board (I think it was Militia?). It was always what I needed (usually, Menagerie when I was attacked, and Militia when I wasn't), and that's worth paying a little extra for. Too bad I can't use Council Room to find that game....

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:56:46 pm »

I like to think of it like a build-your-own Intrigue card -- you get to assemble all the little things you need at the right time, for a premium. But, sometimes that premium's worth it!

One example where I've had good luck with BoM is when Menagerie and a cheap (discard) attack is on the board (I think it was Militia?). It was always what I needed (usually, Menagerie when I was attacked, and Militia when I wasn't), and that's worth paying a little extra for. Too bad I can't use Council Room to find that game....

If Menagerie was on the board, using it as Militia doesn't sound like that great an idea to me? I mean, I guess if your opponent wasn't buying Menageries or BoMs it'd be fine....

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:57:23 pm »
+4

It can also be used to duplicate the effects of Scout.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:04:12 pm »
+1

You mean I can play Scout without having to buy Scout?
O.o
Most. Powerful. Card. Ever.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:05:56 pm »
+1

Seriously though I had one game with BoM with worker's village, smithy and remake, and started 5/2. Using BoM as a remake without having to buy a remake and then turning it into a slightly-better-than-nobles engine piece later was kind of fun

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 11:28:39 pm »

You mean I can play Scout without having to buy Scout?
O.o
Most. Powerful. Card. Ever.

And, if you absolutely must, you can use it on other cards in the kingdom!  Win-win-win!

----

BoM must feel very lonely if there's nothing under $5 in the kingdom though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 11:41:34 pm »

BoM must feel very lonely if there's nothing under $5 in the kingdom though.

This.  I just played a game with BoM where the only cards not costing 5 were feodum and spice merchant.  Most worthless BoM ever...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 11:46:18 pm »

The one thing about using Band of Misfits as Menagerie is that it stops working once the Menageries run out, which isn't too uncommon. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Just something to bear in mind.

I like Band of Misfits as Death Cart, myself. $5 for a one-shot +$5; no Ruins required. If I have another cheaper Action in hand to trash, so much the better.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 03:49:07 am »

The one thing about using Band of Misfits as Menagerie is that it stops working once the Menageries run out, which isn't too uncommon. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Just something to bear in mind.

I like Band of Misfits as Death Cart, myself. $5 for a one-shot +$5; no Ruins required. If I have another cheaper Action in hand to trash, so much the better.
Using it as a one-shot $5 is bad except for in the end game or when you really want an early Kings's Court or Platinum or something. You're essentially saving $5 (the price of BoM) from an early turn for the opportunity to spend it on some later turn that you can't exactly decide (bc you have to have the BoM in hand and an action to spare), and in general an early $5 is worth more than a later $5. Of course having the option to do this can only be good, but if you exercise it alot you're likely hurting yourself.

Using it to trash cheaper actions can be really good though, especially if you can trash a chapel/remake/sea hag/cultist that you no longer need, swindlered crap that you didn't want in the first place or, say, a squire with Goons on the board.

Btw, does anyone know why BoM has this restriction to only be able to mimic cards still in the supply? I don't think it would be at all overpowered without it. Is it to keep easier track of your options in a live game? But then it doesn't sound too hard to remember that a card everyone spammed was in supply?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 04:00:26 am »

Another thing to realise is that while you can play BoM as a Watchtower or Horse Trader, having it in hand doesn't give you the reaction effects of these cards, so BoM isn't strictly better than a cheaper action even if it's unlikely to run out.

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:03:20 am »
+1

Btw, does anyone know why BoM has this restriction to only be able to mimic cards still in the supply? I don't think it would be at all overpowered without it. Is it to keep easier track of your options in a live game? But then it doesn't sound too hard to remember that a card everyone spammed was in supply?

I would imagine it was just the simplest possible wording. It's complicated enough already; "Pick a card that was in the Supply at start of game" seems needlessly clunky. If it ruined the card it'd be one thing but it's a small issue and if anything it adds strategic nuance.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 09:35:57 am »

Most worthless

Those words bug me. I'm going to push to add "worthleast" to the dictionary.

As for why BoM references card in the supply, it does seem that it would be so that you can play it and read the effect immediately without having to dig through someone else's cards to parse it.

Sure, people should have an idea of how Tournament works if all 10 are out, but what if an inexperienced player tries to BoM a Tournament and claims that he still draws the card after someone else reveals a Province? Then someone would have to show the card to prove the player wrong. That means revealing that it's in your hand or digging through your deck. The former gives too much away while the latter is awfully inconvenient.

And how does BoM work with Sir Martin? If someone buys Sir Martin, then what happens if the BoM player wants to duplicate him? Not that +2 Buys is hard to remember, but you know… Dominion isn't played exclusively by us smrt peeples.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 10:09:43 am »

I would imagine it was just the simplest possible wording. It's complicated enough already; "Pick a card that was in the Supply at start of game" seems needlessly clunky. If it ruined the card it'd be one thing but it's a small issue and if anything it adds strategic nuance.
Also, it makes things easier in situations where players don't remember the exact wording of all the cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12:05 am »

Seriously though I had one game with BoM with worker's village, smithy and remake, and started 5/2. Using BoM as a remake without having to buy a remake and then turning it into a slightly-better-than-nobles engine piece later was kind of fun

Worker's Village + Smithy is more than slightly better than Nobles + Nobles... and extra card AND a buy... WAY better than 2 Nobles for an Engine.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 11:36:15 am »

Worker's Village + Smithy is more than slightly better than Nobles + Nobles... and extra card AND a buy... WAY better than 2 Nobles for an Engine.
true, but Nobles gives you that nice 2pts that can come in handy in edge cases. Like with scout!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 02:17:23 pm »
+1

Yeah but the reason that Nobles ends up being pretty good in engines is that you can just keep buying them. Like, to assemble some draw engine, you want a couple villages and a couple draw cards. But what if you draw all the villages and none of the draw cards, or vice vera? Nobles is nice because it's the same card doing everything you need. If you have 3 WVs and don't draw Smithy, you aren't firing the engine. If you have 3 Smithies and no villages, that's terrible. If you have 3 Nobles, see what I mean? It's the same card. It's simpler.

Now, it's also a considerably expensive engine piece, and you would prefer it to draw, instead of as actions, so of course you do want the villages, too. But the 2 VP is really important, actually. It allows you to fall behind in the points race, because 3 Nobles negates an opponent's Province, and you would much rather have 3 Nobles than a Province, anyway.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 02:20:25 pm »

Now, for BoM--really, really good card--I think it's best use might be to duplicate the actions of weird cards you don't buy a lot of, like Coppersmith, or your preferred trasher. For one thing, the supply never runs out of Coppersmiths, so that's not a fear. Also, you don't have to buy a stupid Coppersmith.

That said, BoM always likes to see cantrips in the supply, just in case. Scheme! It's great at doubling as Scheme. In fact, it's better at being Scheme than Scheme is, because you can set it back and then have it be something else next turn. You have that option.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 02:26:54 pm »

I am pretty sure I've seen EVERY (pre-DA) card run out before, including coppersmith. (Swindlers, and then 3-pile).

Also, this makes me really wish BoM could be counting house.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 02:33:21 pm »
+2

Okay, Coppersmiths usually don't run out, though.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »

Right. Though come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've seen possessions run out.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 02:47:30 pm »

Right. Though come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've seen possessions run out.

I can't imagine that Contraband (also Cache) was ever emptied. Did anybody had such a game?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.104 seconds with 20 queries.