Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IRL Mafia?  (Read 980 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
IRL Mafia?
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:11 am »

If I can get enough people interested, I'll be hosting some IRL Mafia on Friday, mostly for teenagers. I've never actually played IRL before, so I was hoping for some tips for the best way to do it. I'm assuming the best way to vote is for people to nominate and then everyone in favour puts their hand up, and a lynch happens if they get a majority. What do you tend to do about deadlines? Do you provide flips upon death? The page on Wikipedia (not wiki.mafiascum) seems to indicate otherwise, and while I can't see a good reason not to, I don't want to step on the toes of anyone who has played before. How do you do nights to minimise the chance that someone will perceive something they shouldn't?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
Re: IRL Mafia?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:57:54 am »

Not revealing alignment at death is a nerf to the town, obviously.  But not being able to discuss anything at night is a nerf to the scumteam's power.

I think no-reveal is the bigger nerf, so these don't really balance things out.  If you decide not to reveal, town needs a boost in power roles to compensate.  If you decide to reveal, then mafia will be worse off, as they can't talk at night.  Town might need a minor nerf (make a recurring power role 1-shot instead or something)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:32 pm »

Generally, the way voting will work is that you give people time to talk (usually a few minutes is enough, especially for a new group), then once people seem to be going quiet, ask if everyone is ready to vote. If they are, ask for nominations, then go around clockwise and take votes - one vote per person etc.. Reveal roles upon death. Dead people don't talk, but are allowed to open their eyes at night.

A good starting setup is 1 cop, 1 doctor, and 1/4-1/3rd people being mafia.

Now, it's worth noting this isn't the fairest way to do things (firstly, cop+doctor alone is a massively town sided pair if the cop claims, and secondly the voting system encourages the first few people named to be lynched instead of the later ones), but it's good for a first game.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:06:32 pm »

If I can get enough people interested, I'll be hosting some IRL Mafia on Friday, mostly for teenagers. I've never actually played IRL before, so I was hoping for some tips for the best way to do it. I'm assuming the best way to vote is for people to nominate and then everyone in favour puts their hand up, and a lynch happens if they get a majority. What do you tend to do about deadlines? Do you provide flips upon death? The page on Wikipedia (not wiki.mafiascum) seems to indicate otherwise, and while I can't see a good reason not to, I don't want to step on the toes of anyone who has played before. How do you do nights to minimise the chance that someone will perceive something they shouldn't?

I like to do what I call a preliminary vote on a person. If that person gets to a majority they have a chance to give a last defense. After that I hold a final vote and that person is lynched if they get to a majority.

I have always had flips be revealed. Deadlines I tend to be relaxed with, but if a day starts to go long I give a 2 minute warning and proceed from there. When I mod I constantly move my head from side to side when talking during the night so that people can't perceive in which direction I am talking. It is also important to have everyone placed in such a way that night kills (and other actions) can easily be pointed out (I have seen too many "I didn't protect him, I protected the guy next to him" scenarios).

Also I like to have a cheat sheet for everyone that lists which card is what role and what that role does. Nothing ruins a game like someone asking "What does the Ace do again?"

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 03:22:54 pm »

Robz888's Real-Life Mafia Rules:

-- The Narrator's job is much harder. If you have a bad memory, you may need to write things down. Make sure you pace during the "night phase" so that the direction of your voice doesn't give anything away.

-- You need at least 8 players. For 8 players, use 2 scum, and 1 Cop. You may substitute or add a Doctor, although this greatly advantages the town when playing with experienced people. For 12+ players, add a scum. Other easy to facilitate roles include Vigilante, Roleblocker, Jailkeeper, and Rolecop. You can always use 1-shots. I have done a setup where town has a 1-shot doc, a 1-shot cop, and 1 -shot vig.

-- Mafia can't talk at night. There's no way to facilitate them talking.

-- I generally do not reveal alignment upon flip, but you could (it would obviously advantage the town).

-- I use a two-round nominations system. Any player may nominate another player by saying "I Nominate X". A player OTHER than the nominating player may "second" the nomination by saying "I Second X." Once two players have both been nominated and seconded, they are put "on the chopping block." Each is allowed to make a brief statement in his or her defense. Then, the narrator may allow a very brief discussion and call for players to decide who they are voting for. The narrator then calls for votes. Players do not NEED to vote during this round. If a player receives a majority of votes, that player is lynched and night commences. If neither player receives a majority, both players are removed from the chopping block. Players may now nominate or second those players again, or choose different players. Once two players are again nominated and seconded, they give defenses. This time, all players must vote for one or the other. I like this method because the first round encourages discussion. You might say, "Wow, Player B really jumped on Player A and seconded her so quickly! Suspicious."
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 04:12:43 pm »

I ask again, would people have interest in an irl-mafia - like game ran through skype or gtalk or whatever? We can't all transport to the same place, this could be the closest thing we can achieve. I can mod if needed.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »

I would be interested.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 04:13:46 pm »

Though I tihnk it would be tough to actually pull off.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:15:30 pm »

Though I tihnk it would be tough to actually pull off.
Basically we'd need 10 guys to commit to ~2 hours period or so. (Some people might end up leaving early for whatever reasons, but others might join mid way too so shouldnt be a problem.)

The great part would be that any role could be handled through private conversation windows with the mod.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:54 pm »

IRL Mafia?
Can I bring my gun?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.