Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 5075 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Civilization V
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:19:17 pm »

I know, I know, but it's practically a board game.  It's even broken down into hexes.  It's just ridiculously more complicated than a physical board and pieces would be able to achieve.  Anyone else on here play?  And who's excited for the Brave New World expansion?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:29:50 pm »

I play when I have time, which is to say almost never.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:04:49 pm »

Civilization III is the best of the series. Too bad I can't play it anymore since PowerPC functions aren't supported on Macs anymore. Or some error like that.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 08:15:50 pm »

Alpha Centauri is the best of the series. Even if it isn't called Civ.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:30:55 pm »

I've only played IV and V.  I really enjoyed IV, but I have to say that V (at least with Gods and Kings) has won me over.  I've started a Let's Play with it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6123
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:38:32 pm »

I heard a lot of IV fans who were put off by V were drawn in by G&K.  What made G&K so good?

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 02:44:00 pm »
+1

Civ II is where it's at. I still bust that out from time to time.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 06:00:45 pm »

I hated V and I won't go back. Gods and Kings had a much improved city design and in general dropped the net gain economy that CIV5 had created with a mass of credits and debits. The maths on that wasn't fun or intuitive. G&K still had a lot of the same flaws as CIV5, such as archers shooting over oceans, but they were hidden in a fantasy setting and didn't seem so ridiculous. The one unit per hex thing also didn't seem such an issue so perhaps the unit mix was just better designed.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 08:22:41 pm »

Alpha Centauri is the best of the series. Even if it isn't called Civ.

In the spring, the hills near the freeway get thick with purple flowers, and it always looks like the fungus from AC.

I played the demo for Civ V, but I still tend to be a Civ III guy.  Civ IV was decent, but different.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:19:02 am »

I heard a lot of IV fans who were put off by V were drawn in by G&K.  What made G&K so good?

G&K reintroduced religion, and did it much better than in IV.  You construct your own religion, getting particular bonuses, and you can actually see how it spreads to other cities.  Faith is a new resource that you use to get Missionaries and buy special buildings you only get through your religion.  Apparently the units and techs and such were balanced out a lot more in G&K, and the AI was also improved - apparently the AI was abysmal on launch.  I never played vanilla, so I wouldn't know from experience.  But G&K is definitely a lot of fun.

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 03:42:12 pm »

Hmmm... maybe I should get G&K (and BNW) then. Vanilla never enchanted me, so I never really thought to get any expansions.
The main thing I didn't like was that everything took forever to build. I generally enjoy settling a large empire, but I just never had time for it in V, so I just conquered instead. There is no challenge in conquering the AI though; it is horrid at combat. It just got so tedious. My one city challenge on emperor was cake, despite nearly constant invasion by the Aztecs and Russians, who had units two ages above mine.

So, are the build times better in G&K? Can you settle 4 cities before exiting the ancient age without making major sacrifices?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:41:47 am »

Hmmm... maybe I should get G&K (and BNW) then. Vanilla never enchanted me, so I never really thought to get any expansions.
The main thing I didn't like was that everything took forever to build. I generally enjoy settling a large empire, but I just never had time for it in V, so I just conquered instead. There is no challenge in conquering the AI though; it is horrid at combat. It just got so tedious. My one city challenge on emperor was cake, despite nearly constant invasion by the Aztecs and Russians, who had units two ages above mine.

So, are the build times better in G&K? Can you settle 4 cities before exiting the ancient age without making major sacrifices?

Uh, no?  I don't think you could even do that in IV.  Losing growth for long enough to get 4 Settlers before entering the Classical era sounds like quite a sacrifice.  I mean, I guess you could just postpone the era change and not get any classical technologies.  I'd recommend going the Liberty track for policies, as you get a free Settler out of it.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 01:19:48 pm »

Civilization Revolution is where it's at. I can actually finish a game of that. ._.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 08:28:50 pm »

Civilization Revolution is where it's at. I can actually finish a game of that. ._.

Brave New World is apparently going to fix that - not the length, but make the end game a lot more interesting, rather than clicking "next turn" seventy billion times.

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 09:01:45 pm »

Back in 3, you could build a settler every 4 turns on a good start, and usually could get a settler every 6 turns.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 01:06:57 am »

Back in 3, you could build a settler every 4 turns on a good start, and usually could get a settler every 6 turns.

Well, I guess it depends on the speed of the game you're playing - I tend to play longer games, where 4 turns for a Settler anywhere before the Industrial era is just crazy talk.

EDIT: But this isn't to say you can't expand quickly - I just think the pace you're suggesting is somewhat ridiculous.  I also like to sprawl, and there's a social policy tree to sprawl quicker, and a social policy tree later on that rewards having sprawl, Liberty and Order, respectively.  Liberty can get you a free Settler and speed up Settler construction in your capital.  It also depends on the civ you're playing - Polynesia is particularly good at sprawl, since it can just hop over to islands immediately.  In that case, I would definitely recommend Commerce, since you can get extra production in coastal cities from it.

EDIT2: If you like, we could multiplayer sometime - not to brag, but I consider myself more of a challenge than the AI.  :P  Though the AI has also been improved in the expansion, and apparently more so in this upcoming one.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:11:23 am by werothegreat »

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 11:14:25 pm »

Hmmm... would Saturday at like 6:00 EST-ish be a good time to play a multiplayer game? My sister has prom, so I won't really have many sources of entertainment that night.
Don't count on me being competitive though, I haven't played for a while. Also don't use too large of a map size.

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 01:37:33 am »

Original colonization =D
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.