Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: $5 cards (Part 6/6)  (Read 157400 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: $5 cards (Part 6/6)
« Reply #425 on: June 19, 2013, 11:08:53 pm »

The thing about Cultist is that it gives you more options than Witch after the junk pile is empty. You can trash it and get a nice 1-turn bonus, or get a bunch of them and go for some sort of terminal draw thing. I'd say that just trashing the Cultists after the ruins have been given out tends to be more helpful. Now if your opponent has all the ruins, terminal draw is probably enough to seal the game, but if your opponent retaliates with junkers of their own it might not be enough.

Scenarios where you have a semi-engine that can use Cultist for draw are pretty uncommon. More often, loading up on Cultists strips your deck of whatever your deck could have been and turns it into a terminal draw deck. Even when there is a semi-engine, the Cultist draw is not that great.
R u kidding? I do cultist engines all the time.

Cultist draw works often enough that its quite good. And why does it make it terminal draw? I have Village and Cultist in my hand, and draw 2 more Cultists is better than having a Hunting Grounds. Sure I had to buy all the Cultists, but I also probably loaded my opponent with all the Ruins in a time frame of about 3-4 turns. Yes the +3 cards on trash ability is great with TFB cards, but using Cultist simply to draw after the Ruins are gone is good.

That's exactly it. Cultist is such a hard card to ignore because it not only dishes out ruins really quickly, but it also has a follow-up plan. However, the draw ability of the Cultist wanes when the ruins are split between the players, as it often is. You'll just draw more ruins a lot of the time. That's when cards like forager come to the rescue.

Well Forager can be good enough trashing that maybe Cultists may not be the best option (sometimes). But the fact still remains, Cultist draw is pretty good. It's irrelevant whether Ruins block it, because maybe you have watchtower to trash them when you gain them. It depends on the board.
Fair enough. It's much better draw than Witch anyway. But you know, often times players will want to trash their witch once the curses are gone because the Witch won't add much anymore, so why not the Cultist as well? It even gives you a bonus if you trash it. Of course, you get the best of both worlds by playing Cultist with Procession. Now that's a great payoff.
True dat.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 20, 2013, 05:56:03 am »

I haven't read all the posts extremely carefully, so forgive any repetitions.
There are some situations, however, which make cultist not only worse but A LOT worse than witch: Library may just skip them in draw to X engines. Scrying Pool does not mind to have some extra action card density. Vineyards like to get some free action cards.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 22, 2013, 09:44:47 pm »

There are some situations, however, which make cultist not only worse but A LOT worse than witch: Library may just skip them in draw to X engines. Scrying Pool does not mind to have some extra action card density. Vineyards like to get some free action cards.

That's true.  Fairgrounds and Menagerie also.

But similarly there are times when Ruins hurt more.  Like with Hunting Party, Golem, Wandering Minstrel, Journeyman, Farming Village, Ambassador, and Doctor
Well you *do* need a signature...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:27 pm »
+1

That's true.  Fairgrounds and Menagerie also.

But similarly there are times when Ruins hurt more.  Like with Hunting Party, Golem, Wandering Minstrel, Journeyman, Farming Village, Ambassador, and Doctor

Ahem...I believe that it depends on the board.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]  All

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.