Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing the Gardens strategy  (Read 1875 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Playing the Gardens strategy
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:35:28 pm »

Let's suppose that you are playing one of the canonical Gardens games (Workshop or Ironworks is on the board). How do you adjust your play and timing (assuming that your opponent isn't ignoring the Gardens route)?

I realize this is broad, so let me formulate some specific sub-questions:
* At what point do you want to Workshop/Ironworks a Village-type card rather than another WS/IW? Villages cycle the deck and allow you to play multiple WS per turn/gain multiple non-actions with IW per turn, but they also can't gain more cards on their own.
* When do you go green? Against an opponent that is also playing Gardens, falling behind 5-3 is generally a gg. But, you also don't want to clog your own deck.
* Do you ever go Silver? Silver increases your buying power, which is important if you want to buy Gardens as well as gain through Actions, but it also slows the cycling of your deck so you don't get to your gaining cards as quickly.

Any other tips on pacing a Gardens game against a Gardening opponent are welcome—these questions are meant as a starting point rather than an exhaustive list.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
Re: Playing the Gardens strategy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:23:32 pm »

- personally, the only time i would gain village cards is if i had a few ironworks in hand.  i dont think i would want to include them early as part of my strategy. 
- this one is tricky.  i think the key to going green is making sure that you keep up in the garden split.  i would consider starting to go green as soon as you would be able to take an advantage by getting multiple gardens in one turn.
-i would try to make sure i had a little bit of buying power myself.  if you are both rushing gardens, they will rarely be worth more than a 3 points. set yourself up so that you can grab a few duchies and let them worry about draining the rest of the piles. picking up a card like secret chamber or vault can help make a difference.

thats my two cents.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:57:42 pm »

Out of the Villages, I'd be more incentivized to Workshop or Ironworks a Worker's Village or Hamlet as the +buy is good times in Gardens, though I would want 3-4 of the Workshop or Ironworks before I look at a village card.

zorch

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:37 pm »

You do have to 3 pile with gardens so +buy is criticsl. So workrs village does double duty.  The other cannonical gsardens enabler is workshop for the virtual silver and also +buy7. There, 3 piling the worksops gardens and villages along the way can work.

Not unsurprisingly the best village in that setup is fishing villahe.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:29:46 pm »

The other cannonical gsardens enabler is workshop for the virtual silver and also +buy7.

I suspect you mean woodcutter, not workshop. Workshop gains a card. Woodcutter gives +2 coin +1 buy.

Also, zorch, I suspect you want to 3-pile workshops, gardens, and *estates*. Not workshops, gardens, and villages. Villages don't give points, estates do.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.