Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: GOKODOM I: Round 1 Results and Discussion  (Read 29907 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
GOKODOM I: Round 1 Results and Discussion
« on: April 12, 2013, 11:46:03 pm »
+4

IT IS TIME

Round 1 of GokoDom I is here.

How to Play Your Match

1. Go to the spreadsheet and find your name.  Your opponent for this round is right next to your name.  PM that person and work out an agreeable time to play, and choose a room to meet in--I suggest something unlikely to be crowded. Match Results are due no later than Monday 22 April 2013 at 1200 GMT -- 0800 EDT -- 0500 PDT.

2. The player with the most sets will host each game using random cards in Unrated mode.*  That player should also take responsibility for saving game logs.

3. The first player for the first game will be decided randomly by Goko.

4. The player who lost the previous game will be the first player for the next game.  This may require you to resign/restart a game.  In Unrated mode, it doesn't matter who resigns.

5. If a game was tied, the player who was the second player in the tie game will be the first player in the next game.

6. Play a minimum of three games, and a maximum of six games, based on the next section.  If any game was a tie, the sixth game will be played.

How to Score Your Match

1. The following situations automatically settle the match:

A. Player A has three wins after 3 or 4 games.  Player A wins.
B. After six games, neither player has won three games.  The match is a draw.

2. If, after 5 games, the match is 3-2, then:

A. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the second player, the match is over, and that player wins.
B. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the first player, play a sixth game, with the leader as the second player.  If the leader wins or ties that game, he wins the match; otherwise the match ends in a draw.

How to Post Your Match

In this thread, make a post that includes links to your game logs, the final score, and the winner and loser of the match.

You must post your results by the deadline listed above.

What If We Can't Figure Out a Time?

There are two situations here:

If you have sent a PM to your opponent, but they have not responded to two separate PMs, send me a PM.  If they do not respond, you will be awarded a win by default.
If both players are in contact but are unable to find a mutually agreeable time, both players should send me PMs; both players will receive a draw by default.

----

*Optional rules for playing with Pro mode are in the signup thread, and will be put in this post later.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:59:49 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
Re: GOKODOM I: Round 1 Results and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 02:27:26 pm »
+2

MrHaas defeats D Bo 3-2

Game 1: D Bo 43-16
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365873334132.txt
Nothing much to this game really - I think MrHaas had trouble getting started and without villages and plus buy, there was no real comeback available.

Game 2: MrHaas 65-27
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365874523656.txt
I thought University was maybe a little better of a card to go for, but I clearly didn't invest in Margraves enough and I should've followed suit with the trashing through Count. MrHaas lays it on strong towards the end with some double Goons turns and picks up the extra coppers to widen the gap.

Game 3: D Bo 44-2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365875310346.txt
Familiars into Forge for me and I hit that really quick. Actually make use of Explorer which was super fun. Able to piledrive provinces before MrHaas can get trashing in time.

Game 4 MrHaas 34-32
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365876039296.txt
Sea Hag opening for both while MrHaas goes into straight BM while I try and get cute with Market/Highway. In the end I just run out of time to make up the gap. In hindsight, I should've gone green a bit earlier.

Game 5 MrHaas 28-27
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365876746844.txt
Pretty straight Wharf/Village/BM game. I pick up a Saboteur hoping to hit a green card later and it does work nailing a Duchy with it's only play, but I commit the cardinal sin in purchasing the penultimate province. I thought since he only had 1 Wharf in play I might be okay, but he has enough to take the province and necessary two estates to leapfrog me. This was the only game where second player won.

Overall, it was a fun hour or so playing Dominion again. I've basically been playing bots online since I don't have cards, and it was fun to play seriously for the first time since Isotropic went down. I clearly don't know Dark Ages as well but it was neat to see those cards in play as well. Both of us had several misclicks throughout the games but hopefully we all just get more used to the interface. MrHaas was a very enjoyable opponent and I'm looking forward to the next round. I'm also looking forward to hopefully meeting some fun opponents to play on a regular basis since auto-match doesn't exist.

Looking forward to the next round!

TD Note: Posted
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:50:13 pm by Kirian »

MrHaas

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 02:35:49 pm »
+2

Thanks for the post, D Bo. Also had fun and think I was really lucky in the last match where I had an inferior deck, but managed to draw well in the last turns.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:41:58 pm »

A drowned kernel defeats liopoil 3-1. A drowned kernel went first in the first game, and the game liopoil won was the third.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:50:27 pm by Kirian »

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:53:23 pm »

Is there any way to retrieve goko logs? I have the last three games of the match saved but would like to find the first one.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »

Is there any way to retrieve goko logs? I have the last three games of the match saved but would like to find the first one.

Assuming the same person hosted them all, here's what to do:

Look at the three you have; they should have filenames that say /20130413/log.--hexadecimal number--.--decimal number--.txt

Look at this directory:  http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20130413/

And search for the string I labeled --hexadecimal number--.  It's a hash that includes the host's name, so all games you hosted should have the same hexadecimal hash.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 02:34:19 pm »

After a strong lead, werothegreat ultimately fell in valiant battle against philosophyguy, 2-3.

I didn't bother getting logs (philosophyguy said he got them) since I was recording them as videos anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nl8f4aQCHo I win!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8R7lnbgDjU I win!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPUc8Unf_5g  I lose!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkvBg-T_yo  I lose...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naBYAa2LGN8  I lost.  :(

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:48:59 pm by Kirian »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 02:38:31 pm »

By the by, will I have a chance to redeem myself, or am I down for the count now?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 02:51:30 pm »
+1

philosophyguy defeats werothegreat 3-2:

Game 1: Cellar, Pearl Diver, Trade Route, Woodcutter (bane), Ironmonger, Young Witch, Haggler, Margrave, Merchant Ship, Rabble, Nobles
wero 1-0, 46-23

We both open Young Witch, then were makes the key move for Ironmongers. I try going more money, with Merchant Ships, but cannot get up to $6. wero soon amasses a huge Nobles advantage and I get steamrolled by his engine.

Game 2: Moat, Native Village, Fishing Village, Warehouse, Marauder, Militia, Procession, Scavenger, Smithy, Harvest
wero 2-0, 39-24

wero starts with Fishing Village/Militia. I try Silver/Militia, thinking that the Necropolis makes FV slightly less important compared to early buying power. He gets a +Buy off the Ruins and commences building quite a nice engine.

Game 3: Chapel, Coppersmith, Rats, Treasure Map, Council Room, Haggler, Margrave, Mine, Venture, Hunting Grounds
philosophyguy 1-2, 34-26

With my back against the wall, I get a 5/2 start. I go Venture/Chapel while wero goes Treasure Map/Chapel. I follow him with Treasure Maps and actually connect mine before he goes—and even before I get to play my Chapel! This win is all shuffle luck.

Game 4: Urchin, Feodum, Moneylender, Navigator, Rats, Golem, Horn of Plenty, Torturer, Treasury, Bank
philosophyguy 2-2, 30-27

By far the most interesting game of the match. wero opens Potion, which I think is a mistake, while I go Navigator. He gets a Golem right away (which is kind of lucky), but doesn't have any actions at first. I next go for a Treasury with my Torturer, while he gets a Moneylender (another probably suboptimal play—even the Urchin would be better).

He makes a really interesting choice to go for HoP and start building up Feodums and Silvers, and I thought I had lost the game at that point. I make a quick detour for a HoP of my own and manage to get a quick double Province turn, which was enough to pull out the win. I almost lost at the very end because I took two curses with a Mercenary in hand, but forgot that I don't get to trash them if wero ends the game. But, I think he miscounted his Silvers or something, because he buys the last Province for the loss.

Fun interaction of the set: Urchin/Torturer/Mercenary. Urchin makes Torturer's attack slightly more painful if you play it first, and it obviously combos with Torturer to turn into a Mercenary. But, Mercenary's trashing is also useful against Torturer's curse-in-hand option.

Game 5: Bureaucrat, Cutpurse, Salvager, Spy, Tournament, Ill-Gotten Gains, Library, Margrave, Altar, Bank
philosophyguy 3-2, 17-14

Since I'm second seat, I win the match if I win this one. It's an IGG match with a couple of fun enablers: Tournament, Cutpurse, Salvager, and Bureaucrat. wero goes Cutpurse, I gamble with Salvager. I don't think I played this optimally because I should have always been taking Coppers with my extra buys if I'm going to go that route. I lose the IGG split badly but start on Duchies earlier, and spike a Province for the win. I credit my loss of the split to wero's Tournament, which I thought about at the start of the game but for some reason didn't get after the opening.

These were some great games. I actually think wero outplayed me through the series and I got the win with some luck.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:49:32 pm by Kirian »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 03:50:05 pm »

By the by, will I have a chance to redeem myself, or am I down for the count now?

The greatest thing about a Swiss tournament is that there are no knockouts!

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:04 pm »
+1

kn1tt3r vs. Tdog - 3:0

Tdog is going to post the logs, but here are already the videos I recorded (some still processing):

Game 1:

I tried something like Jack into Goons/Workers Village/Pawn with KC support. Yeah well, not that great, but there's Goons and there's KC, so there you are. Tdog couldn't get to $6 and thus transitioned into some Silk Road thing, which I try to contest eventually. Of course this screws my already wonky engine, and I have trouble aligning things. I'm quite sure I should have focused more on building up, especially buying more Goons, but after I've contested him on SRs, there's no real turning back, and I grab some Provinces. At some point he just 3-piles himself and takes the loss.

Game 2:

I have the great idea to go Remake into Jack, in order to also get rid of some of my coppers. This maybe would have worked, but not quite with Poor House in the supply... oops. So I just try to transition into pure Jack, while Tdog tries some fancy Rats-Remake-Duchy thing, which doesn't really work out because there was no real good way for him to end it fast on piles. So yeah, I just empty the Province pile and take the game. Probably a quite bad one by both of us.

Game 3:

Close one around Warehouse/Tunnel with Tactician support. He gets more Tunnels, I get a Tactician earlier, which probably made the small difference. In the last turns he can double Province with one point behind, an I take the win by double Provincing myself.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:50:34 pm by Kirian »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 04:28:17 pm »

well, there's 53 players and five rounds, so once you've lost or really, even tied, then you're out of the running for winning the tourney. But we get to play four more matches! :D

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »

well, there's 53 players and five rounds, so once you've lost or really, even tied, then you're out of the running for winning the tourney. But we get to play four more matches! :D

Except that after five Swiss rounds, we have a best-of-8 knockout.  Out of 53 entrants, only one or two, maximum, will have a 5-0 record.  There's a good chance someone with a 3-1-1 record could make the top eight; certainly multiple people will have 4-1-0 and 4-0-1 records.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 04:46:30 pm »

ahh, I did not know that. I thought it was just 5 rounds, then whoever went 5-0 wins, and if there were 2, then some sort of tiebreaker.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 05:39:35 pm »
+1

kn1tt3r Defeats Tdog 3-0

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130414/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1365966461057.txt kn1tt3r 40- Tdog 32

We both started jack, while I transition into Silk Roads and he goes into goons. I didn't get enough of the silk roads, splitting them 4-4. I also made a mistake on turn 12 going duchy instead of estate estate, I would have been able to end it a little earlier and would have had a better chance
Game 2: http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20130414/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1365967174996.txt kn1tt3r 50- Tdog 20

Yeah, not my best work here. I had this great plan to get rats to infest my deck, then remake them all into duchies. I made many mistakes here (the first trying this crazy strategy). I should've embargoed the provinces more, it would've slowed him down more and given me a chance to empty a third pile, which would have been graverobbers. I think this would work, but needs some villages to play more than 1 remake, and a gainer to give the rats fuel while emptying a third pile. Trying to use rats was fun, just not the right place.

Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130414/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1365967576358.txt kn1ttr 36- Tdog 35
 kn1tt3r won it by one. It was a tunnel game, with tacticians and warehouses to provide great support for it. I had forgotten that he bought an island a few turns ago, and should have gone province duchy instead of province x2 on my last turn.

Thanks for the games, my lack of playing recently showed with a few bonehead mistakes. Good luck in the rest of the tournament!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 05:39:52 pm »

These were some great games. I actually think wero outplayed me through the series and I got the win with some luck.

You're too kind.  I always make some silly mistake somewhere.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 05:41:28 pm »

Game 1:

I tried something like Jack into Goons/Workers Village/Pawn with KC support. Yeah well, not that great, but there's Goons and there's KC, so there you are. Tdog couldn't get to $6 and thus transitioned into some Silk Road thing, which I try to contest eventually. Of course this screws my already wonky engine, and I have trouble aligning things. I'm quite sure I should have focused more on building up, especially buying more Goons, but after I've contested him on SRs, there's no real turning back, and I grab some Provinces. At some point he just 3-piles himself and takes the loss.

I think that grabbing the silk roads won you the game, as I had a pretty easy path to a three pile ending.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 08:37:06 pm »

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:45:26 pm by Kirian »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 08:39:44 pm »

As Robz said I won round 1 in 4 games. I was definetly playing pretty alright. I thought I had lost game 4 when I missed getting a bureaucrat on the first shuffle but other than that I think I played pretty well.

Thanks for the games Robz it was a blast, best of luck in the remainder of the tourney!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »

As Robz said I won round 1 in 4 games. I was definetly playing pretty alright. I thought I had lost game 4 when I missed getting a bureaucrat on the first shuffle but other than that I think I played pretty well.

Thanks for the games Robz it was a blast, best of luck in the remainder of the tourney!

Oh yeah, I really thought I woulda had you in that last game, because I think the Bureaucrat opening was definitely correct. Also, I was baffled to lose a Sea Hag game from second position when I don't believe I really made any mistakes.

The first game, I did err in picking up Wandering Minstrel, so that was well deserved. Well, all three of them were deserved of course, I was just a quite surprised to lose the second one and a little surprised to lose the 4th.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 09:07:02 am »

I think that grabbing the silk roads won you the game, as I had a pretty easy path to a three pile ending.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  It would have taken you 4 additional turns if he doesn't take the Silk Roads, and Tribute gets a decent draw with your green deck.  So I guess going for the megaturn(s) with Goons has all the time it needs here given Worker's Villages, Pawns and King's Court.  Altar also will slowly get rid of the remaining Coppers giving the engine more consistency, and the Goons will easily get over 60 points or so that you would score with 8 SRs.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 09:10:22 am »

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  It would have taken you 4 additional turns if he doesn't take the Silk Roads, and Tribute gets a decent draw with your green deck.  So I guess going for the megaturn(s) with Goons has all the time it needs here given Worker's Villages, Pawns and King's Court.  Altar also will slowly get rid of the remaining Coppers giving the engine more consistency, and the Goons will easily get over 60 points or so that you would score with 8 SRs.

It's still hard to tell and depends heavily on how fast he is able to 3-pile. The thing is that the engine components are either expensive and hard to gather or weakish and somewhat unreliable. It can still work, but it's rather close.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »
+3

Rabid wins 3 and 1 draw against Emeric

Thanks for the match Emeric, was fun to play with all the cards again.

Game 1:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1366050292617.txt
Herbalist, Pearl Diver, Scrying Pool, Lookout, Wishing Well, Woodcutter, Golem, Band of Misfits, Margrave, Forge

We both play Scrying Pool with golum as only village.
I lose the SP split 6/4 but grab a few more silvers.
Once we are both drawing our decks first player plus extra money lets me green first.
Forge allowing for end game control.

Game 2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1366050890377.txt
Lighthouse, Native Village, Trade Route, Feast, Feodum, Gardens, Treasure Map, Cultist, Market, Altar, Copper, Silver, Gold

I mistakenly go for Cultist, I mean Witch beats gardens on this board.
I lost count of the points.
And end the game in a very lucky draw.

Game 3
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1366052080889.txt
Transmute, Hamlet, Menagerie, Horse Traders, Marauder, Remake, Spy, Band of Misfits, Treasury, Grand Market

Remake enabling Menagerie Hamlet engine.
Emeric misses the Ruins on page 2.
So I steal the 3 pile win.

Game 4
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1366053028043.txt
Bureaucrat, Moneylender, Navigator, Noble Brigand, Smithy, Worker's Village, Apprentice, Counterfeit, Royal Seal

Emeric plays this game much better than me I think.
But I get lucky end game draws for the win and the match.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:45:54 pm by Kirian »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.