Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: GOKODOM I: Round 1 Results and Discussion  (Read 30131 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
GOKODOM I: Round 1 Results and Discussion
« on: April 12, 2013, 11:46:03 pm »
+4

IT IS TIME

Round 1 of GokoDom I is here.

How to Play Your Match

1. Go to the spreadsheet and find your name.  Your opponent for this round is right next to your name.  PM that person and work out an agreeable time to play, and choose a room to meet in--I suggest something unlikely to be crowded. Match Results are due no later than Monday 22 April 2013 at 1200 GMT -- 0800 EDT -- 0500 PDT.

2. The player with the most sets will host each game using random cards in Unrated mode.*  That player should also take responsibility for saving game logs.

3. The first player for the first game will be decided randomly by Goko.

4. The player who lost the previous game will be the first player for the next game.  This may require you to resign/restart a game.  In Unrated mode, it doesn't matter who resigns.

5. If a game was tied, the player who was the second player in the tie game will be the first player in the next game.

6. Play a minimum of three games, and a maximum of six games, based on the next section.  If any game was a tie, the sixth game will be played.

How to Score Your Match

1. The following situations automatically settle the match:

A. Player A has three wins after 3 or 4 games.  Player A wins.
B. After six games, neither player has won three games.  The match is a draw.

2. If, after 5 games, the match is 3-2, then:

A. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the second player, the match is over, and that player wins.
B. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the first player, play a sixth game, with the leader as the second player.  If the leader wins or ties that game, he wins the match; otherwise the match ends in a draw.

How to Post Your Match

In this thread, make a post that includes links to your game logs, the final score, and the winner and loser of the match.

You must post your results by the deadline listed above.

What If We Can't Figure Out a Time?

There are two situations here:

If you have sent a PM to your opponent, but they have not responded to two separate PMs, send me a PM.  If they do not respond, you will be awarded a win by default.
If both players are in contact but are unable to find a mutually agreeable time, both players should send me PMs; both players will receive a draw by default.

----

*Optional rules for playing with Pro mode are in the signup thread, and will be put in this post later.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:59:49 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
Re: GOKODOM I: Round 1 Results and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 02:27:26 pm »
+2

MrHaas defeats D Bo 3-2

Game 1: D Bo 43-16
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365873334132.txt
Nothing much to this game really - I think MrHaas had trouble getting started and without villages and plus buy, there was no real comeback available.

Game 2: MrHaas 65-27
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365874523656.txt
I thought University was maybe a little better of a card to go for, but I clearly didn't invest in Margraves enough and I should've followed suit with the trashing through Count. MrHaas lays it on strong towards the end with some double Goons turns and picks up the extra coppers to widen the gap.

Game 3: D Bo 44-2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365875310346.txt
Familiars into Forge for me and I hit that really quick. Actually make use of Explorer which was super fun. Able to piledrive provinces before MrHaas can get trashing in time.

Game 4 MrHaas 34-32
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365876039296.txt
Sea Hag opening for both while MrHaas goes into straight BM while I try and get cute with Market/Highway. In the end I just run out of time to make up the gap. In hindsight, I should've gone green a bit earlier.

Game 5 MrHaas 28-27
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365876746844.txt
Pretty straight Wharf/Village/BM game. I pick up a Saboteur hoping to hit a green card later and it does work nailing a Duchy with it's only play, but I commit the cardinal sin in purchasing the penultimate province. I thought since he only had 1 Wharf in play I might be okay, but he has enough to take the province and necessary two estates to leapfrog me. This was the only game where second player won.

Overall, it was a fun hour or so playing Dominion again. I've basically been playing bots online since I don't have cards, and it was fun to play seriously for the first time since Isotropic went down. I clearly don't know Dark Ages as well but it was neat to see those cards in play as well. Both of us had several misclicks throughout the games but hopefully we all just get more used to the interface. MrHaas was a very enjoyable opponent and I'm looking forward to the next round. I'm also looking forward to hopefully meeting some fun opponents to play on a regular basis since auto-match doesn't exist.

Looking forward to the next round!

TD Note: Posted
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:50:13 pm by Kirian »

MrHaas

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 02:35:49 pm »
+2

Thanks for the post, D Bo. Also had fun and think I was really lucky in the last match where I had an inferior deck, but managed to draw well in the last turns.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:41:58 pm »

A drowned kernel defeats liopoil 3-1. A drowned kernel went first in the first game, and the game liopoil won was the third.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:50:27 pm by Kirian »

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:53:23 pm »

Is there any way to retrieve goko logs? I have the last three games of the match saved but would like to find the first one.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »

Is there any way to retrieve goko logs? I have the last three games of the match saved but would like to find the first one.

Assuming the same person hosted them all, here's what to do:

Look at the three you have; they should have filenames that say /20130413/log.--hexadecimal number--.--decimal number--.txt

Look at this directory:  http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20130413/

And search for the string I labeled --hexadecimal number--.  It's a hash that includes the host's name, so all games you hosted should have the same hexadecimal hash.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 02:34:19 pm »

After a strong lead, werothegreat ultimately fell in valiant battle against philosophyguy, 2-3.

I didn't bother getting logs (philosophyguy said he got them) since I was recording them as videos anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nl8f4aQCHo I win!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8R7lnbgDjU I win!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPUc8Unf_5g  I lose!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkvBg-T_yo  I lose...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naBYAa2LGN8  I lost.  :(

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:48:59 pm by Kirian »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 02:38:31 pm »

By the by, will I have a chance to redeem myself, or am I down for the count now?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 02:51:30 pm »
+1

philosophyguy defeats werothegreat 3-2:

Game 1: Cellar, Pearl Diver, Trade Route, Woodcutter (bane), Ironmonger, Young Witch, Haggler, Margrave, Merchant Ship, Rabble, Nobles
wero 1-0, 46-23

We both open Young Witch, then were makes the key move for Ironmongers. I try going more money, with Merchant Ships, but cannot get up to $6. wero soon amasses a huge Nobles advantage and I get steamrolled by his engine.

Game 2: Moat, Native Village, Fishing Village, Warehouse, Marauder, Militia, Procession, Scavenger, Smithy, Harvest
wero 2-0, 39-24

wero starts with Fishing Village/Militia. I try Silver/Militia, thinking that the Necropolis makes FV slightly less important compared to early buying power. He gets a +Buy off the Ruins and commences building quite a nice engine.

Game 3: Chapel, Coppersmith, Rats, Treasure Map, Council Room, Haggler, Margrave, Mine, Venture, Hunting Grounds
philosophyguy 1-2, 34-26

With my back against the wall, I get a 5/2 start. I go Venture/Chapel while wero goes Treasure Map/Chapel. I follow him with Treasure Maps and actually connect mine before he goes—and even before I get to play my Chapel! This win is all shuffle luck.

Game 4: Urchin, Feodum, Moneylender, Navigator, Rats, Golem, Horn of Plenty, Torturer, Treasury, Bank
philosophyguy 2-2, 30-27

By far the most interesting game of the match. wero opens Potion, which I think is a mistake, while I go Navigator. He gets a Golem right away (which is kind of lucky), but doesn't have any actions at first. I next go for a Treasury with my Torturer, while he gets a Moneylender (another probably suboptimal play—even the Urchin would be better).

He makes a really interesting choice to go for HoP and start building up Feodums and Silvers, and I thought I had lost the game at that point. I make a quick detour for a HoP of my own and manage to get a quick double Province turn, which was enough to pull out the win. I almost lost at the very end because I took two curses with a Mercenary in hand, but forgot that I don't get to trash them if wero ends the game. But, I think he miscounted his Silvers or something, because he buys the last Province for the loss.

Fun interaction of the set: Urchin/Torturer/Mercenary. Urchin makes Torturer's attack slightly more painful if you play it first, and it obviously combos with Torturer to turn into a Mercenary. But, Mercenary's trashing is also useful against Torturer's curse-in-hand option.

Game 5: Bureaucrat, Cutpurse, Salvager, Spy, Tournament, Ill-Gotten Gains, Library, Margrave, Altar, Bank
philosophyguy 3-2, 17-14

Since I'm second seat, I win the match if I win this one. It's an IGG match with a couple of fun enablers: Tournament, Cutpurse, Salvager, and Bureaucrat. wero goes Cutpurse, I gamble with Salvager. I don't think I played this optimally because I should have always been taking Coppers with my extra buys if I'm going to go that route. I lose the IGG split badly but start on Duchies earlier, and spike a Province for the win. I credit my loss of the split to wero's Tournament, which I thought about at the start of the game but for some reason didn't get after the opening.

These were some great games. I actually think wero outplayed me through the series and I got the win with some luck.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:49:32 pm by Kirian »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 03:50:05 pm »

By the by, will I have a chance to redeem myself, or am I down for the count now?

The greatest thing about a Swiss tournament is that there are no knockouts!

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:04 pm »
+1

kn1tt3r vs. Tdog - 3:0

Tdog is going to post the logs, but here are already the videos I recorded (some still processing):

Game 1:

I tried something like Jack into Goons/Workers Village/Pawn with KC support. Yeah well, not that great, but there's Goons and there's KC, so there you are. Tdog couldn't get to $6 and thus transitioned into some Silk Road thing, which I try to contest eventually. Of course this screws my already wonky engine, and I have trouble aligning things. I'm quite sure I should have focused more on building up, especially buying more Goons, but after I've contested him on SRs, there's no real turning back, and I grab some Provinces. At some point he just 3-piles himself and takes the loss.

Game 2:

I have the great idea to go Remake into Jack, in order to also get rid of some of my coppers. This maybe would have worked, but not quite with Poor House in the supply... oops. So I just try to transition into pure Jack, while Tdog tries some fancy Rats-Remake-Duchy thing, which doesn't really work out because there was no real good way for him to end it fast on piles. So yeah, I just empty the Province pile and take the game. Probably a quite bad one by both of us.

Game 3:

Close one around Warehouse/Tunnel with Tactician support. He gets more Tunnels, I get a Tactician earlier, which probably made the small difference. In the last turns he can double Province with one point behind, an I take the win by double Provincing myself.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:50:34 pm by Kirian »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 04:28:17 pm »

well, there's 53 players and five rounds, so once you've lost or really, even tied, then you're out of the running for winning the tourney. But we get to play four more matches! :D

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »

well, there's 53 players and five rounds, so once you've lost or really, even tied, then you're out of the running for winning the tourney. But we get to play four more matches! :D

Except that after five Swiss rounds, we have a best-of-8 knockout.  Out of 53 entrants, only one or two, maximum, will have a 5-0 record.  There's a good chance someone with a 3-1-1 record could make the top eight; certainly multiple people will have 4-1-0 and 4-0-1 records.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 04:46:30 pm »

ahh, I did not know that. I thought it was just 5 rounds, then whoever went 5-0 wins, and if there were 2, then some sort of tiebreaker.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 05:39:35 pm »
+1

kn1tt3r Defeats Tdog 3-0

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130414/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1365966461057.txt kn1tt3r 40- Tdog 32

We both started jack, while I transition into Silk Roads and he goes into goons. I didn't get enough of the silk roads, splitting them 4-4. I also made a mistake on turn 12 going duchy instead of estate estate, I would have been able to end it a little earlier and would have had a better chance
Game 2: http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20130414/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1365967174996.txt kn1tt3r 50- Tdog 20

Yeah, not my best work here. I had this great plan to get rats to infest my deck, then remake them all into duchies. I made many mistakes here (the first trying this crazy strategy). I should've embargoed the provinces more, it would've slowed him down more and given me a chance to empty a third pile, which would have been graverobbers. I think this would work, but needs some villages to play more than 1 remake, and a gainer to give the rats fuel while emptying a third pile. Trying to use rats was fun, just not the right place.

Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130414/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1365967576358.txt kn1ttr 36- Tdog 35
 kn1tt3r won it by one. It was a tunnel game, with tacticians and warehouses to provide great support for it. I had forgotten that he bought an island a few turns ago, and should have gone province duchy instead of province x2 on my last turn.

Thanks for the games, my lack of playing recently showed with a few bonehead mistakes. Good luck in the rest of the tournament!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 05:39:52 pm »

These were some great games. I actually think wero outplayed me through the series and I got the win with some luck.

You're too kind.  I always make some silly mistake somewhere.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 05:41:28 pm »

Game 1:

I tried something like Jack into Goons/Workers Village/Pawn with KC support. Yeah well, not that great, but there's Goons and there's KC, so there you are. Tdog couldn't get to $6 and thus transitioned into some Silk Road thing, which I try to contest eventually. Of course this screws my already wonky engine, and I have trouble aligning things. I'm quite sure I should have focused more on building up, especially buying more Goons, but after I've contested him on SRs, there's no real turning back, and I grab some Provinces. At some point he just 3-piles himself and takes the loss.

I think that grabbing the silk roads won you the game, as I had a pretty easy path to a three pile ending.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 08:37:06 pm »

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:45:26 pm by Kirian »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 08:39:44 pm »

As Robz said I won round 1 in 4 games. I was definetly playing pretty alright. I thought I had lost game 4 when I missed getting a bureaucrat on the first shuffle but other than that I think I played pretty well.

Thanks for the games Robz it was a blast, best of luck in the remainder of the tourney!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »

As Robz said I won round 1 in 4 games. I was definetly playing pretty alright. I thought I had lost game 4 when I missed getting a bureaucrat on the first shuffle but other than that I think I played pretty well.

Thanks for the games Robz it was a blast, best of luck in the remainder of the tourney!

Oh yeah, I really thought I woulda had you in that last game, because I think the Bureaucrat opening was definitely correct. Also, I was baffled to lose a Sea Hag game from second position when I don't believe I really made any mistakes.

The first game, I did err in picking up Wandering Minstrel, so that was well deserved. Well, all three of them were deserved of course, I was just a quite surprised to lose the second one and a little surprised to lose the 4th.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 09:07:02 am »

I think that grabbing the silk roads won you the game, as I had a pretty easy path to a three pile ending.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  It would have taken you 4 additional turns if he doesn't take the Silk Roads, and Tribute gets a decent draw with your green deck.  So I guess going for the megaturn(s) with Goons has all the time it needs here given Worker's Villages, Pawns and King's Court.  Altar also will slowly get rid of the remaining Coppers giving the engine more consistency, and the Goons will easily get over 60 points or so that you would score with 8 SRs.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 09:10:22 am »

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  It would have taken you 4 additional turns if he doesn't take the Silk Roads, and Tribute gets a decent draw with your green deck.  So I guess going for the megaturn(s) with Goons has all the time it needs here given Worker's Villages, Pawns and King's Court.  Altar also will slowly get rid of the remaining Coppers giving the engine more consistency, and the Goons will easily get over 60 points or so that you would score with 8 SRs.

It's still hard to tell and depends heavily on how fast he is able to 3-pile. The thing is that the engine components are either expensive and hard to gather or weakish and somewhat unreliable. It can still work, but it's rather close.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »
+3

Rabid wins 3 and 1 draw against Emeric

Thanks for the match Emeric, was fun to play with all the cards again.

Game 1:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1366050292617.txt
Herbalist, Pearl Diver, Scrying Pool, Lookout, Wishing Well, Woodcutter, Golem, Band of Misfits, Margrave, Forge

We both play Scrying Pool with golum as only village.
I lose the SP split 6/4 but grab a few more silvers.
Once we are both drawing our decks first player plus extra money lets me green first.
Forge allowing for end game control.

Game 2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1366050890377.txt
Lighthouse, Native Village, Trade Route, Feast, Feodum, Gardens, Treasure Map, Cultist, Market, Altar, Copper, Silver, Gold

I mistakenly go for Cultist, I mean Witch beats gardens on this board.
I lost count of the points.
And end the game in a very lucky draw.

Game 3
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1366052080889.txt
Transmute, Hamlet, Menagerie, Horse Traders, Marauder, Remake, Spy, Band of Misfits, Treasury, Grand Market

Remake enabling Menagerie Hamlet engine.
Emeric misses the Ruins on page 2.
So I steal the 3 pile win.

Game 4
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5063625f0cf2b1ff4173dbab.1366053028043.txt
Bureaucrat, Moneylender, Navigator, Noble Brigand, Smithy, Worker's Village, Apprentice, Counterfeit, Royal Seal

Emeric plays this game much better than me I think.
But I get lucky end game draws for the win and the match.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:45:54 pm by Kirian »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 05:07:57 pm »
+2

florrat vs lespeutere 0-3

Courtyard, Apothecary, Chancellor, Tunnel, Thief, Ghost Ship, Hunting Party, Vault, Bank, Peddler
florrat starts (4/3), but I get the lucky 5/2, start vault/courtyard and go hunting party after picking up a tunnel which I add another to. He starts potion/tunnel but this kingdom just lacks +action (for constant GS attacks) and +buy (for peddlers). With one province for each of us I already get my first duchy and I win duchies 5/3 while florrat has the tunnel majority (5/3). With these 2 points up I can dictate duchy dancing and get the PP when he has to get an estate since tunnels and duchies are gone. I'm up by 7, he gets another estate and I can finish it next turn.

Wishing Well, Bishop, Death Cart, Treasure Map, Golem, Market, Merchant Ship, Torturer, Vault, Expand
Bishop/silver for florrat, bishop/WW for me. As I see him starting bishop I confidently aim for treasure maps. My estates are gone soon and with 5 WWs I can draw my whole deck quickly. He adds a merchant ship and 2 golds but this proofs not enough compared to my 3 golds (after trashing one for a large VP advantage with bishop). He then trashes a province, buys the last and ends the game.

Fool's Gold, Haven, Secret Chamber, *Oasis, Philosopher's Stone, Remake, Young Witch, Merchant Ship, Minion, Outpost, Royal Seal
Remake/oasis for both of us. I hit 2 estates with remake immediately and go for more oases while he gets one silver which I regard as a mistake. I get 2 minions before his 1st and add an outpost when I have 5 minions. For some reason, I can't play outpost that often since I have it in my first cards in most shuffles and can't draw back to it through my discarded cards. So this one gets close, he's got a lead somewhen but has to add the last minions which provides an opportunity for me to get up front again. With 4 points behind and oases and minions gone, he buys the last duchy and closes the game with a 1 point win for me.

Thanks for the match again and good luck for the next ones.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:46:06 pm by Kirian »

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 05:37:25 pm »
+1

RTT wins against Qvist 3-1

game 1 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1366057141427.txt Qvist wins 31 : 29

game 2http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1366057993155.txt RTT wins 22 : 14

game 3 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1366059172033.txt RTT wins 31:30

game 4http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1366060518449.txt RTT wins 55:27

qvist will upload videos ad do a short commentary about the games. it where very fun and intense games and luck did play of course a factor in the close games. I thank Qvist for the Games!

Have a good day (night for us germans)
RTT

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:46:40 pm by Kirian »

Green Opal

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 05:45:15 pm »
+2

Green Opal defeats zaubererer 3-2.
Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1366057050367.txt
Lighthouse, Forager, Market Square, Wishing Well, Philosopher's Stone, Feodum, Rats, Talisman, Worker's Village, Horn of Plenty
zaubererer wins 41-35
An odd little board with not much potential to build to anything that crazy. We both play for market squares and foragers, but rats and talismans mean his connect rather more frequently.

Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1366057514867.txt
Moat, Scrying Pool, Watchtower, Alchemist, Procession, Salvager, Apprentice, Counterfeit, Embassy, Royal Seal
Green Opal wins 36-20
I opt for an alchemist stack held together with trimming from apprentice and counterfeit, while zaubererer tries to motor through with salvager. By the time I've gotten to 5 alchemists I'm able to draw my deck and province every turn from 10 onwards, and can seal it with a sacrifical salvage-apprentice counterfeit-gold double province turn.

Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1366058389399.txt
Village, Death Cart, Fortress, Mining Village, Treasure Map, Vault, Wharf, Possession, King's Court, Peddler
Green Opal wins 47-27
Crazy posession engine shenanigans. While I get possessed first, I'm able to assemble more possessions and KCs and can twice take 3 turns in a row. KC-death cart on a possessed turn is rather potent...

Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1366058976175.txt
Herbalist, Secret Chamber, Sage, Farming Village, Ironworks, Apprentice, Festival, Merchant Ship, Witch, Possession
zaubererer wins 29-14
I perhaps mistakenly opt for apprentice after my first witch: this together with some nasty collisions results in my losing the curse split 7-3. I'm never really able to recover as some accelerated apprentices trashing provinces put it out of reach.

Game 5: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1366060039303.txt
Beggar, Masquerade, Woodcutter, Baron, Farming Village, Feast, Militia, Pirate Ship, Silk Road, Treasure Map
Green Opal wins 55-51
What begins as a straightforward-seeming masq-militia money-style board starts to turn on its head when zaubererer moves into pirate ships. While he builds them up to 7 counters, I'm collecting several provinces, but inevitably stall out after getting 6. it's then a mad rush to collect enough points to stop getting beaten by the woodcutter-fueled silk road rush, which I manage to survive after a miscounting of the points at the end.

Thanks for the games zaubererer, was a fun set!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:47:56 pm by Kirian »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 07:33:40 pm »
+1

game 1 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1366057141427.txt Qvist wins 31 : 29

game 2http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1366057993155.txt RTT wins 22 : 14

game 3 http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1366059172033.txt RTT wins 31:30

game 4http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130415/log.50745d1a0cf28ed55d9d6498.1366060518449.txt RTT wins 55:27

qvist will upload videos ad do a short commentary about the games. it where very fun and intense games and luck did play of course a factor in the close games. I thank Qvist for the Games!

RTT

I'm currently doing the rewatch and I was really unlucky in those games. I appreciate all comments.

Game 1:
This was a boring Hoard/Chapel board with Swindler. I won this, but I was still was unlucky. In the turn where I chapeled my hand, one of the cards was an Overgrown Estate. Guess what I drew: Swindler. Later in the game I mislicked, but that Pawn was honestly very useful later. So, this was lucky at the same time. So, that's why I won.

Game 2:
This was an interesting board with Worker's Village, Bridge, Count and Altar. Unfortunately there was no draw card. We opened the same, but he got $5 twice while I got $4 twice. Come on! So, I was already behind. Maybe I should have gotten WV+Bridge in turn 8 and get that Altar later. On turn I did a misplay where I didn't put the Bridge on top of my deck. Then came turn 13. I was one action or one coin short of winning this game, grr! On turn 14 I could have gotten 2 Duchies for a 1-point lead, but I did a misclick again. But still that wouldn't have won me the game.

Game 3:
This was the most interesting board. There was gaining with University, Border Village and Develop. We both had the idea to trash Action cards with Graverobber and expand them into Provinces. I choose the University route and he the Border Village route. Young Witch, Militia and Squire made the board even more interesting. I focussed more on draw with Stables while he decided to trash earlier for Provinces. And then I did a big miscalculation on turn 17 which you can hear in my video. Instead of him being one point ahead, I said that I'm one point ahead. That's why I did Province+Duchy. But he did Province+Duchy too and won. D'oh.

Game 4:
Oh man, this was the worst game. I curse you Loan. We both open Loan/Militia on a board with crucial $5s with Margrave and Bandit Camp. On turn 3 I got $3. On turn I have the Loan, but haven't seen my Militia yet. So I don't play it. On turn 5 I have the Militia and finally $5, but he plays Militia himself. So, still no $5. On turn 6 I finally get a Margrave and turn 7 my $5 card hand get's militia'd again. Now it gets really bad. On turn 8 I played Mining Village and Margrave and had a Loan in hand with one card left in my deck. I didn't keep track. It was my Militia so that all those cards missed the reshuffle. On turn 10 I had the same choice: One card left, it was my Mining Village, so my Militia missed again. Here I was already so behind. On turn 13 I didn't play the Loan again because of similar fear. On turn 14 it skipped my Bishop and hit a Silver. That's the turn where RTT already could Double Province. Game over.

At least RTT reminded that this isn't a Elimination Tournament. So, I have at least still a chance.
Thanks for the games RTT, you played well and deserved the win, even beside the shuffle luck I had.
Good luck for you in the tournament.

Edit: Videos will be uploaded soon.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:36:23 pm by Qvist »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:53 pm »

DG beats LastFootnote 3-0, surprising nobody. Turns out I actually suck at Dominion.  :'(

Also I suck at being responsible, and DG is going to post the logs. I forgot to grab them.

Thanks for the games, DG!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 08:25:35 pm »
+1

If anyone is annoyed that opening a game log just replaces another open game log? Well I did point that out in beta.

DG 34 : 17  LastFootnote http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130415/log.50675f6afca284ca61206e88.1366068896139.txt
DG 32 : res LastFootnote http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130415/log.50675f6afca284ca61206e88.1366069635157.txt
DG 33 : 15  Last Footnote http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130415/log.50675f6afca284ca61206e88.1366070154680.txt

Game 1 - Drawing and goons. We both missed wandering minstrels being better than caravans.
Game 2 - Odd possession vs silk roads game. I'd have been worried if LF had gone fully for silk roads.
Game 3 - I played money against an ambitious develop engine strategy.

Thanks for the games and good luck next round.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:48:22 pm by Kirian »

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 11:22:23 pm »

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:42:39 am by Kirian »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 11:33:36 pm »

Questions about spreadsheet: what is the background colors to people's names representing?

What are SRd and Solk columns for?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 01:34:45 am »

Questions about spreadsheet: what is the background colors to people's names representing?

What are SRd and Solk columns for?

Heh, things I still need to add to the FAQ.  Which is to say, the entire FAQ actually, but these things definitely belong in there.

Colors are simply which sets the person has: red for all sets, purple for some, blue for none.

Solk is the player's Solkoff score, which is the first tie-breaker.  It is the sum of the current scores of each of their opponents.  After one round, this is 2 for anyone who lost, 0 for anyone who won, and 1 for anyone who drew.  It becomes a more useful tie-breaker after two or three rounds.

SRd is the current total score of the opponent played that round.  So the Solkoff score is the sum of all the SRd scores.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 08:05:19 am »
+1

RTT

I'm currently doing the rewatch and I was really unlucky in those games. I appreciate all comments.

Game 1:
This was a boring Hoard/Chapel board with Swindler. I won this, but I was still was unlucky. In the turn where I chapeled my hand, one of the cards was an Overgrown Estate. Guess what I drew: Swindler. Later in the game I mislicked, but that Pawn was honestly very useful later. So, this was lucky at the same time. So, that's why I won.

Game 2:
This was an interesting board with Worker's Village, Bridge, Count and Altar. Unfortunately there was no draw card. We opened the same, but he got $5 twice while I got $4 twice. Come on! So, I was already behind. Maybe I should have gotten WV+Bridge in turn 8 and get that Altar later. On turn I did a misplay where I didn't put the Bridge on top of my deck. Then came turn 13. I was one action or one coin short of winning this game, grr! On turn 14 I could have gotten 2 Duchies for a 1-point lead, but I did a misclick again. But still that wouldn't have won me the game.

Game 3:
This was the most interesting board. There was gaining with University, Border Village and Develop. We both had the idea to trash Action cards with Graverobber and expand them into Provinces. I choose the University route and he the Border Village route. Young Witch, Militia and Squire made the board even more interesting. I focussed more on draw with Stables while he decided to trash earlier for Provinces. And then I did a big miscalculation on turn 17 which you can hear in my video. Instead of him being one point ahead, I said that I'm one point ahead. That's why I did Province+Duchy. But he did Province+Duchy too and won. D'oh.

Game 4:
Oh man, this was the worst game. I curse you Loan. We both open Loan/Militia on a board with crucial $5s with Margrave and Bandit Camp. On turn 3 I got $3. On turn I have the Loan, but haven't seen my Militia yet. So I don't play it. On turn 5 I have the Militia and finally $5, but he plays Militia himself. So, still no $5. On turn 6 I finally get a Margrave and turn 7 my $5 card hand get's militia'd again. Now it gets really bad. On turn 8 I played Mining Village and Margrave and had a Loan in hand with one card left in my deck. I didn't keep track. It was my Militia so that all those cards missed the reshuffle. On turn 10 I had the same choice: One card left, it was my Mining Village, so my Militia missed again. Here I was already so behind. On turn 13 I didn't play the Loan again because of similar fear. On turn 14 it skipped my Bishop and hit a Silver. That's the turn where RTT already could Double Province. Game over.

At least RTT reminded that this isn't a Elimination Tournament. So, I have at least still a chance.
Thanks for the games RTT, you played well and deserved the win, even beside the shuffle luck I had.
Good luck for you in the tournament.

Edit: Videos will be uploaded soon.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:00 am »
+2

Any possibility or interest in having multiple tiers of knockout brackets at the end of the Swiss tournament in order to extend the tournament for more people?

For example the top 8 would still be the main bracket or "Gold" division.  Perhaps the next set of 8 would comprise the "Silver" division and then even ranks 17-24 could make up a "Copper" bracket.

I'd be willing to help set these up and run these regardless of where I finish if there is interest and Kirian gives his blessing of course.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 10:37:07 am »

Game 3 - I played money against an ambitious develop engine strategy.

Hehe, "ambitious Develop engine". That was me giving up.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 03:15:48 pm »
+1

ftl defeats PitrPicko 3-2

Game 1: PitrPicko 26 - ftl 34
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50612a9b51c36e573294bfd0.1366127059969.txt
Duchess, Moat, Apothecary, Urchin, Warehouse, Conspirator, Ironworks, Mountebank, Witch.

We both open 5/2 Mountebank/Moat, get lots of Mountebanks and the occasional warehouse to cycle for them. He gets ahead in the cursing with more mountebanks and warehouses, but I pick up two Urchins which are pretty easy to convert to mercenaries, and the trashing and discard attack of that let me pull ahead and win the provinces 5-3.

Game 2: PitrPicko 51 - ftl 36
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50612a9b51c36e573294bfd0.1366128097811.txt
Chapel, Wishing Well, Moneylender, Navigator, Band of Misfits, City, Counting House, Cultist, Expand, Forge, Platinum/Colony.

We trash down our decks and get some cultists, splitting the ruins I believe 5-5, and then get cities, which we also split 5-5, and start investing in platinums; with only 5 cities, neither of us has the buys to buy out the estates to three-pile. He gets a few expands while I decide to start on colonies. However, my deck sputters a little after picking up some treasure and some green, whereas his does better with his extra expands and with his 3-1 cultist advantage, so he finishes off with a triple-colony turn (expanding plats into colonies) for the win.

Game 3: ftl - PitrPicko (resigned)
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50612a9b51c36e573294bfd0.1366128638812.txt
Haven, Warehouse, Navigator, Nomad Camp, Procession, Sea Hag, Ill-Gotten Gains, Library, Trading Post, Upgrade

I get another 5/2 start, and this time I think it really helps me. I open with Trading Post/Haven, whereas PitrPicko open Sea Hag/warehouse and gets a second hag later to try to really bring down the cursing hammer. But with the economy from trading post, I pick up a few upgrades, which together let me trash the curses basically as they come in. I get a late sea hag on turn 6, and buy 4 ill-gotten gains to keep the cursing split even, and then use upgrades to convert those into golds. It's pretty much game over at that point, as I start picking up provinces having both more money and fewer curses, so PitrPicko resigns after I get my 4th province.

Game 4: PitrPicko 32 - ftl 22
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50612a9b51c36e573294bfd0.1366128992346.txt
Forager, Smugglers, Wishing Well, Workshop, Silk Road, Cache, City, Haggler, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mystic

I got seriously outplayed this game. I saw Workshop/Silk Road, and thought that would be dominant despite the IGGs, and I was way way wrong. PitrPicko picks up a smugglers, buys some Silk Roads to keep the split even, and wins with some IGGs and duchies which I can't afford because of my workshops.

Game 5: ftl 32 - PitrPicko 31
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130416/log.50612a9b51c36e573294bfd0.1366129681528.txt
Fishing Village, Menagerie, Smugglers, Bridge, Thief, Graverobber, Knights, Rogue, Trading Post, Vault

PitrPicko opened 5/2 and decided to go for the straightforward province rush with Vault-BM. I opened 4-3, opened Bridge-Fishing Village, and went for a Fishing Village-Menagerie-Vault engine, with Knights for the attack and bridge and smugglers as payload. As it turns out, that's a very tough engine to play - I'm convinced it's super-powerful if done right, but I really don't know what "done right" is, with so many components and with the draw being the vault-menagerie combo and with the potential for knights and rogue and graverobber to be so interactive. It has to depend a lot on what your opponent does. As it is, the top knight was Dame Natalie (gain cards costing up to $3), which was great for me, since she picked up lots of fishing villages and menageries. The second knight was Sir Vander, who I never got because with PitrPicko not getting knights himself, Vander wouldn't ever get trashed for the Gold. Dame Natalie only ever trashed one silver from PitrPicko, but a weaker workshop was good enough for my deck anyway. I floundered around with lots of fishing villages, menageries, and vaults, and the menageries eventually made my deck pretty consistent, playing a fishing village or two per turn, vaults to discard duplicates and then menagerie to draw back up. In retrospect I needed more Bridges (and I made a big mistake in getting a late Trading Post), but my deck worked out; I observed PPR and after PitrPicko broke it I used Dame Natalie to pick up a spare estate to win by 1 point.

Very tight match, with only the first game going to the second player. Thanks to PitrPicko for the nice games!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:43:16 am by Kirian »

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2013, 04:20:44 pm »

Lesson learned today: Greenwich has time GMT+1 in summer.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 05:06:21 pm »

Lesson learned today: Greenwich has time GMT+1 in summer.

Turns out my opponent was actually late, so I'm still confused!

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 05:20:49 pm »

A problem: When in anything but pro mode you click "use Colony/Platinum", they will 100% be used, whereas if you don't click that, I think they'll never be used.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 05:31:20 pm »
+3

That checkbox is randomized as well when you create the set, I think. So if you just create a table and randomize the cards, you've also randomized that. I mean, obviously if you want to cheat you could change it, but right now the whole 'random kingdoms in unrated mode' is being run on the honor system anyway, which seems like it's good enough for a tournament like this with no money on the line...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:32:29 pm by ftl »

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 05:43:57 pm »

That checkbox is randomized as well when you create the set, I think.

Ah, that's what I was missing.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 05:44:58 pm »

Does Goko still think that "random" for Colonies is about 1/1000 chance?

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »
+1

I don't think so. At least, one of my 5 games I just posted had colonies.

Just went on goko, went to "create game", clicked "randomize" a few times, my third randomization gave me a colony game. Don't know what percentage it is exactly but it can't be that low unless I just got reeeeeeeeally lucky.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:51:54 pm by ftl »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 05:51:27 pm »

What percentage of cards that you own are from prosperity?

PitrPicko

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2013, 05:53:26 pm »

Yeah, it was super fun to play with you, ftl. I think in last game I wouldn't stand any chance if we both started with some duchy dancing. Your engine was quite dependend and would totally outplay me in long run. (With good hand you could possibly double province.) And since my vault deck was build for "get 4 prov ASAP" it wouldn't stand any chance, so I broke PPR. Also I was betting that you will miss your +buy(gain). That would give me some chance in endgame :)
I was terrified when you will buy 2nd, 3rd and 4th bridge because I think that will be gg for me. Your deck had great potential for double or maybe triple province turn :)

PitrPicko

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2013, 05:57:57 pm »

I belive that chance of using Plat/colony in every single game is: number of decks from prosperity/number of decks total.
So when 3 decks are from prosperity, you have only 3/10 chance of playing with plat/colony.
I think it is overall very low...

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2013, 06:22:24 pm »
+1

Polk5440 defeats user name 3-1

Game 1:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1366143279118.txt

I go first. I go Alchemist then Noble Brigands, he goes for a Mandarins then a Noble Brigand. We both buy Harem and Hoards, as well.
Score: Polk5440 44 -- user name 36

Game 2:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1366144581419.txt

This one was tough to figure out. He went heavy into Foragers early. My goal was to clean out my starting cards enough with one Forager and have lots of actions in order to make Ironmonger almost always a village (ex post, I wish I had picked up two Foragers early). Talisman lets me pick up cheap and necessary actions quickly to get the density up. This allows me to pile on enough Torturers, Catacombs, and Monuments. He catches on the use of Ironmonger too late here to catch up while also doing the dirty work of making Forager worth $3. Even so, I thought he might have a chance to win on piles, but it didn't work out for him and I ended the game ahead.
Score: Polk5440 26 -- user name 21

Game 3:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1366146071344.txt

A Scrying Pool game, which I played badly. I thought grabbing a Talisman and some Hamlets early would give me an advantage, but it cost me the Scrying Pool split, which was more important. user name said he wasn't happy with his play, but he outplayed me here and deserved the win.
Score: Polk5440 26 -- user name 30

Game 4:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130416/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1366146892548.txt

This was a scary board. Knights and Ghost Ship and Swindler, oh my! I feel like this one could have turned into a disaster at any time. Instead, after picking up our Swindlers (him 2 and me 1 -- my second came later) we both went for Rebuilds, me heavier than him, and I came out on top. He did Rebuild into Dame Josephine, and I picked up a Knight later, but the Knights didn't do nearly as much damage as they normally do. The most difficult thing about this game was keeping track of points in my head. Luckily, I was only off by one on my internal count. Phew!
Score: Polk5440 31 -- user name 27

-----

There was a bit of a technical hiccup on my end, I think, before we started the first game. The game wasn't loading, I think because my internet connection gave out briefly. But once we actually got going, it was smooth sailing. We only had to restart the last game once to get turn order right -- I was almost fooled into believing Goko had implemented our tournament turn starting rules! Oh, well!

Thanks again to user name for the games. They were very enjoyable. I am looking forward to the next round.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:43:55 am by Kirian »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2013, 06:25:32 pm »

Don't have the logs, but I do have this:

Beyond Awesome beats mail-mi 3-1-1
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2013, 03:04:09 am »

I did a test: 100 clicks at randomize cards in unrated game
Colonies: 2
Shelters: 32
Try it too, I'm interested in your results.
I don't think we should be using Goko's randomizer.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 07:33:36 am »

Interesting. I did the same, I got
23 Shelter games (I could have miscounted a few)
1 Colony game
Moreover, I noticed that the game suggests you use colonies iff there are 4 more or more cards from the prosperity set. I tested this hypothesis for about 50 more sets, and it seemed to hold. This is a terrible test function, especially since shelters are (probably) chosen properly (I've had a shelters game with 2 DA cards and one without shelters with 5 DA cards).

So maybe we can let Goko generate the set, but then use our own algorithm to decide to use shelters/colonies (for example: if top left card is prosperity: use colonies, if the card next to it is DA, use shelters). This is not optimal, because the cards are sorted by cost, so you won't get exactly the right probabilities, but close enough (and much closer than Goko's algorithm).

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2013, 08:26:20 am »

So they fixed Shelters, and broke Colonies.  /sigh

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:57 am »

1 Colony game
Moreover, I noticed that the game suggests you use colonies iff there are 4 more or more cards from the prosperity set. I tested this hypothesis for about 50 more sets, and it seemed to hold. This is a terrible test function, especially since shelters are (probably) chosen properly (I've had a shelters game with 2 DA cards and one without shelters with 5 DA cards).

So maybe we can let Goko generate the set, but then use our own algorithm to decide to use shelters/colonies (for example: if top left card is prosperity: use colonies, if the card next to it is DA, use shelters). This is not optimal, because the cards are sorted by cost, so you won't get exactly the right probabilities, but close enough (and much closer than Goko's algorithm).

For every other set you could probably kind of ignore correlation with costs, but for Prosperity that is a bad idea I guess.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2013, 09:28:12 am »
+3

AdamH over heatthespurs 3-2

Some overall comments: Well played games, thanks for the match, heatthespurs. We had Shelters in four out of our five games -- this should confuse your discussion a bit.

Video Playlist link:

GAME 1: heatthespurs - 36, AdamH - 39

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1366201107118.txt

Kingdom Cards: Transmute, Lighthouse, Menagerie, Bridge, Feast, Golem, Junk Dealer, Merchant Ship, Mountebank, Treasury -- with Shelters

Video link:

Everything was bought here except Transmute (imagine that). I open Feast/Lighthouse while he opens Bridge/Lighthouse. We both are defended pretty well by Lighthouses; I go for a more money-based strategy with a Mountebank, a Junk Dealer, and a Merchant Ship while he goes for a Golem-based engine. He has a couple of pretty nice turns, but with Golem as the only village, the engine proves to be too slow. Also, I begin to have some trouble with counting; that can be difficult sometimes, but I had five Provinces when I thought I only had four.

GAME 2: heatthespurs - 55, AdamH - 34

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1366202250578.txt

Kingdom Cards: Crossroads, Squire, Menagerie, Monument, Navigator, Wandering Minstrel, Apprentice, Bandit Camp, Counterfeit, Library

Video link:

There's an engine here and we both go for it. We take similar but slightly different approaches, but he comes out firmly on top. I'm not positive what was the deciding factor, but if I had to guess, he prioritized copper-trashing with his Counterfeit to aim for a thin deck, whilst I prioritized Spoils-trashing with my Counterfeit. Because of this I think he was able to use Menagerie better for drawing.

GAME 3: AdamH - 30, heatthespurs - 40

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1366203034282.txt

Kingdom Cards: Loan, Philosopher's Stone, Horse Traders, Nomad Camp, Rats, Sea Hag, Worker's Village, Band of Misfits, Festival, Harvest -- with Shelters

Video link:

Sea Hag with no way to get rid of Curses except for Rats, but then there's no way to get rid of the Rats. There's no draw either, so this one doesn't look like much fun. I open Sea Hag/Silver while he opens Horse Traders/Silver, which has to be a mistake, right? I feel like my strategy was more sound and focused, but I just hit $7 a lot and he hit $8, but hey I lost the game. He did comment that on my last turn I had $7 and would have won with one more dollar, maybe that's a theme for this match?

GAME 4: AdamH - 42, heatthespurs - 29

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1366203823177.txt

Kingdom Cards:    Vineyard, Hamlet, Ambassador, Lookout, Storeroom, Feast, Remodel, Knights, Mine, Goons -- with Shelters

Video link:

Maybe not the most interesting kingdom we played, but I think it was the most interesting game. With no draw, Ambassador didn't play here, and the only Village was Hamlet. Vineyards probably wouldn't play a huge role because of the lack of non-terminals, so it seemed like a Money+Goons game. With my 5/2 split and the $2 Knight on top of the pile, I open with her instead of just getting a Silver and crying into my pillow. He plays well and gets off to a great lead, aggressively Remodeling to snatch up four Provinces very quickly. Then the tide starts to turn. I have a very fortunate couple of shuffles towards the end, and between the Knights I had and his aggressive Remodeling, his deck stalls hard, giving me some time to snag a Potion on a $4 turn and giving me a miracle Double-Goons + Potion hand which was really the deciding factor. I also get a lucky $8 to get the last Province at an opportune time. In all of my counting failures that you'll inevitably see on the videos, I refrain from making any in this game, which was probably significant.

GAME 5: heatthespurs - 38, AdamH - 40

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1366205003575.txt

Kingdom Cards: Scheme, Storeroom, Baron, Coppersmith, Island, Procession, Bandit Camp, Highway, Junk Dealer, Tactician -- with Shelters

Video link:

Don't let the final score be an indicator of who played better this game: I was sorely outplayed here and I still don't understand how I managed to win this one. Like an idiot I play essentially BM with Islands a couple of Bandit Camps, and a Tactician, and I misclick and fail to trash my Hovel on Turn 1. He constructs an absolutely beautiful Tactician+Coppersmith deck with support from Scheme and Procession that can reliably have huge turns every other turn. He has three Provinces by turn 9 and five by turn 13. He gets some more green, but on his Tactician-fueled turn 18, he's only able to hit $7 (there's that theme again). He builds some more (turns out that's a mistake) and through dumb luck I squeak ahead before he gets another shot to end it. Let this be a lesson to you -- even if you're way behind and your opponent's deck is way better and he's outplaying you, sometimes 2-7 offsuit cracks pocket Aces anyways. Never give up.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:25:47 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2013, 09:29:57 am »

1 Colony game

Yikes. I was under the impression this was fixed when the shelters fix went out. I had not noticed an under-representation of colonies....

andwilk

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:44 pm »

1 Colony game

Yikes. I was under the impression this was fixed when the shelters fix went out. I had not noticed an under-representation of colonies....

Has somebody posted this issue to GetSatisfaction?  Does anyone know if this issue only exists when you generate random card sets manually or does this issue carry over to professional mode games as well?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2013, 12:36:43 pm »

1 Colony game

Has somebody posted this issue to GetSatisfaction?  Does anyone know if this issue only exists when you generate random card sets manually or does this issue carry over to professional mode games as well?

Must be happening in Pro Games too.  I only play Pro and have not seen a good number of Colonies in quite a while.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2013, 12:45:59 pm »
+3

I posted it a few hours ago: https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/too_few_colony_games_randomized_in_unranked_games. Awaiting bets on wether the'll say it's perfectly normal.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2013, 01:01:47 pm »

Oh boy. Yeah. I think I've played only 3 Colony games or something in pro mode. Out of maybe 100 games.

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2013, 01:19:58 pm »
+2

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1366203034282.txt

Kingdom Cards: Loan, Philosopher's Stone, Horse Traders, Nomad Camp, Rats, Sea Hag, Worker's Village, Band of Misfits, Festival, Harvest -- with Shelters

Video link: [link]

Sea Hag with no way to get rid of Curses except for Rats, but then there's no way to get rid of the Rats. There's no draw either, so this one doesn't look like much fun. I open Sea Hag/Silver while he opens Horse Traders/Silver, which has to be a mistake, right? I feel like my strategy was more sound and focused, but I just hit $7 a lot and he hit $8, but hey I lost the game. He did comment that on my last turn I had $7 and would have won with one more dollar, maybe that's a theme for this match?

The reason for me of going HT instead of Sea Hag is the existence of Band of Misfit. Since this is likely to be a long game, I do not want another dead card (the Hag) after the curse run out. So I risk losing the curse split a bit and get a Band of Misfit (delayed "Sea Hag"). Not sure if that is a right call though...

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1366205003575.txt

Kingdom Cards: Scheme, Storeroom, Baron, Coppersmith, Island, Procession, Bandit Camp, Highway, Junk Dealer, Tactician -- with Shelters

Don't let the final score be an indicator of who played better this game: I was sorely outplayed here and I still don't understand how I managed to win this one. Like an idiot I play essentially BM with Islands a couple of Bandit Camps, and a Tactician, and I misclick and fail to trash my Hovel on Turn 1. He constructs an absolutely beautiful Tactician+Coppersmith deck with support from Scheme and Procession that can reliably have huge turns every other turn. He has three Provinces by turn 9 and five by turn 13. He gets some more green, but on his Tactician-fueled turn 18, he's only able to hit $7 (there's that theme again). He builds some more (turns out that's a mistake) and through dumb luck I squeak ahead before he gets another shot to end it. Let this be a lesson to you -- even if you're way behind and your opponent's deck is way better and he's outplaying you, sometimes 2-7 offsuit cracks pocket Aces anyways. Never give up.

While I can blame my luck here (hitting $6 + 1 Highway in a 10-card turn 15, and just missing the sixth and winning province), I did make some mistake... My deck is excellent in getting provinces quickly (5 province in 13 turns), though it would struggle to finish off the game since I basically have no economy (7 copper + 1 silver). I so much rely on the Procession-Coppersmith. With the Coppersmith gone on turn 13, and so many green cards rushing in, I should expect the stall even with the help of Tactician. Maybe a Storeroom could help here. And hey, both of us ignore Storeroom! I think Tactician-Storeroom is pretty solid with Highway as support here.

So... I am disappointed that I lose after constructing a beautiful Procession engine... but it is a great lesson.

Overall some fun and interesting games. Thank you AdamH for the games/video/comments!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:42:38 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2013, 01:44:59 pm »
+1

The reason for me of going HT instead of Sea Hag is the existence of Band of Misfit. Since this is likely to be a long game, I do not want another dead card (the Hag) after the curse run out. So I risk losing the curse split a bit and get a Band of Misfit (delayed "Sea Hag"). Not sure if that is a right call though...

Interesting. I wonder if that's worth it -- HT is good for getting to $5, so you're essentially trading the first curse I give you (since you just drew it with HT) in exchange for having your Sea Hag be a Horse Traders when the Curses are gone.

While I can blame my luck here (hitting $6 + 1 Highway in a 10-card turn 15, and just missing the sixth and winning province), I did make some mistake... My deck is excellent in getting provinces quickly (5 province in 13 turns), though it would struggle to finish off the game since I basically have no economy (7 copper + 1 silver). I so much rely on the Procession-Coppersmith. With the Coppersmith gone on turn 13, and so many green cards rushing in, I should expect the stall even with the help of Tactician. Maybe a Storeroom could help here. And hey, both of us ignore Storeroom! I think Tactician-Storeroom is pretty solid with Highway as support here.

So... I am disappointed that I lose after constructing a beautiful Procession engine... but it is a great lesson.

Overall some fun and interesting games. Thank you AdamH for the games/video/comments!

In the video I give Storeroom+Tactician a brief mention but I dismiss it because it would be difficult to play many Storerooms in one turn (to get the buys) to go with a bunch of Highways. I didn't think about how they could support a double-tactician deck, especially with Scheme to support. So many opportunities I missed on this board, but I still feel like you outplayed me.

...of course, the videos aren't even halfway done uploading yet, they're taking like 2 hours each because I didn't bother to convert them to WMV before uploading. It'll be better quality but it just takes forEVER to upload.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2013, 02:40:48 pm »

I posted it a few hours ago: https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/too_few_colony_games_randomized_in_unranked_games. Awaiting bets on wether the'll say it's perfectly normal.
It's "in progress" now.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2013, 03:18:50 pm »

Looks like I misread the rules?  I suppose it's a draw, then.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 03:28:57 pm »

Looks like I misread the rules?  I suppose it's a draw, then.

That's correct.

Stick In The Mud

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2013, 05:33:43 pm »
+1

She can't say no beat stick in the mud 3- 2. Log to follow

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:38:14 pm by Kirian »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2013, 06:21:36 pm »

Watno - yed: 3 - 3 tie
Game 1: yed wins
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366224726557.txt
Game 2: Watno wins
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366225699283.txt
Game 3: Watno wins
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366226710084.txt
Game 4: I disconnect with 1 province left, but since I was far ahead, yed agreed to count this as a win for me.
He also has the log for this one.
Game 5: yed wins
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366229789237.txt
Game 6: yed wins
I forgot to save this log. But the game made me remember why i hate Minion so much.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:38:24 pm by Kirian »

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
yed vs Watno => draw
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »
+1

yed vs Watno 3-3-0 => draw.

Game 1
University, Develop, Sage, Caravan, Remake, Remodel, Junk Dealer, Fairgrounds, Grand Market, Peddler, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366224726557.txt
My lucky win with a lot of GM and Pedlers.
1-0-0

Game 2
Transmute, Duchess, Apothecary, Oracle, Mining Village, Spy, Band of Misfits, Bazaar, Royal Seal, Nobles, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366225699283.txt
Watno won with Apotherary deck vs my Nobles.
1-1-0

Game 3
Storeroom, Woodcutter, Mining Village, Embassy, Haggler, Horn of Plenty, Knights, Witch, Hoard, Forge, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366226710084.txt
A lot of mistakes on my side... Hoards are probably the bigest. Watno won with HoP megaturn.
1-2-0

Frozen game for both of us in 6th turn. We didn't count that.

Game 4
Transmute, Familiar, Bureaucrat, Farming Village, Spice Merchant, Band of Misfits, Highway, Mine, Torturer, Expand, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366229789237.txt
Close Familiar game... In the end mine Expand worked better than Watno's Transmute. But it could have easily gone other way.
2-2-0

Game 5
Lighthouse, Pawn, Chancellor, Steward, Warehouse, Spice Merchant, Festival, Ill-Gotten Gains, Expand, King's Court, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366231159962.txt
IGG... Steward buy was probably mistake on my side. In the end mine Expands was not good enough.... Watnos IGG and Warehouses easily generated 4 provinces and 3 Duchies.... vs mine 3 Provinces and 1 Duchy. Then it froze on Watno's side... but we counted that as his won since I had only theoretical chance at winning.
2-3-0

Since Watno started first game we played 6th game.

Game 6
Fishing Village, Tunnel, Village, Island, Militia, Thief, Worker's Village, Ill-Gotten Gains, Minion, Mystic, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1366232154762.txt
Minion Tunnel vs pure IGG. As I almost always hate IGG games, I liked this one.
3-3-0

Watno, thank you for playing! I had fun.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2013, 09:28:38 pm »

Avin vs andwilk 4-2-0 => Avin wins

Game 1:
Tunnel, Baron, Island, Scout, Thief, Bandit Camp, Ill-Gotten Gains, Trading Post, Tribute, King's Court, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1366243951760.txt
My comment: Pretty much dominated by IGG
1-0-0

Game 2:
Haven, Vagrant, Farming Village, Nomad Camp, Talisman, Golem, Counting House, Graverobber, Venture, King's Court, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Colony, Platinum, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50804653fca2b99a1806c3c1.1366244565727.txt
My comment: I've never seen Havens used so strongly. Nice work. I missed a buy once where I bought a third Platinum instead of a colony, and had I had that colony I would have bought the penultimate colony as well ... not sure if it would have made the difference but I was definitely regretting my decision.
1-1-0

Game 3:
Pawn, Alchemist, Rats, Market, Merchant Ship, Rabble, Torturer, Wharf, Adventurer, Harem, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1366244935938.txt
My comment: I thought for sure I'd be able to pull off a double province buy to offset my investment in alchemists, but it never came together and I was too slow.
1-2-0

Game 4:
Moat, Develop, Oasis, Oracle, Village, Warehouse, Alchemist, Remake, Explorer, Mine, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50804653fca2b99a1806c3c1.1366245311594.txt
My comment: I think the biggest difference in our games was I started with a silver instead of a warehouse, which allowed me money sooner (in particular I bought a Mine mostly so I could remake it into a Gold shortly afterward, and use it a couple times until it coincided with the remake)
2-2-0

Game 5:
Beggar, Duchess, Pearl Diver, Scheme, Ironworks, Quarry, Bandit Camp, Cache, Minion, Possession, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1366246156289.txt
My comment: I was afraid you would win the Minion split early on. But my extra Bandit Camps allowed me to get more spoils faster for the late game province buying power.
3-2-0

I had played first on Game 1 so we played a 6th game.

Game 6:
Herbalist, Apothecary, Swindler, Farming Village, Moneylender, Salvager, Apprentice, Jester, Stables, Hoard, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50804653fca2b99a1806c3c1.1366247114845.txt
My comment: My first swindler hit copper, yours hit estate. In fact you never hit copper at all (probably didn't help that I opened Moneylender with the clearly better 4/3 opening). So I think luck heavily favored me this game.
4-2-0

Thanks for the games!

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2013, 09:40:44 pm »

As a side note, is there any way to get Goko to create a game with the previously played card set?

We actually only had to restart one game, the last one, due to incorrect turn order, but that game had looked like a blast. We briefly considered restarting with the same set but I realized the only way I knew of to do that would be to go into the Deckbuilder, find all the cards manually (and despite knowing which Box expansion each of the cards comes from, I still don't know which Goko half-expansion they are all in) and save the set, then use it. So I just rerandomized.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2013, 09:54:25 pm »

No, there's no way of replaying the same set.

One thing which I did find is the bar in the top left corner, you can start typing the name of a card there to find it so you don't have to remember what set it's in.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2013, 06:17:27 am »
+1

She can't say no beat stick in the mud 3- 2. Log to follow
Here they are, together with some thoughts.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50ce244fe4b0e91495e0f605.1366144464608.txt
Oasis, JackOfAllTrades, Remake, Sea Hag, Talisman, Counting House, Embassy, Mine, Farmland, Peddler, Colony, Platinum

No villages or +buy, so the only engine I see is Remake/Oasis/Talisman into Peddlers, which seems way too slow and unreliable, especially for a Colony game. On the other hand there's Embassy as a BM supporter, which is pretty good, so that's what I decide to go for. He opens Oasis/Jack, ignoring the Sea Hag, which I get together with a Silver. Maybe it should have been Silver/Silver though, with him buying Jack and this villageless board. Het gets a second Jack on turn 3, which I think is a big mistake because you don't want to flood your deck with Silvers in a Colony game. My Gold and Embassy on turn 3 and 6 allow me to buy a Platinum on turn 7, a second Embassy on turn 8 and another Platinum on turn 9. He's struggling with his economy and buys his first Colony only just before I buy my third one. I buy my 6th and final Colony in turn 20 for a 64-32 win.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50ce244fe4b0e91495e0f605.1366145156103.txt
Hamlet, Herbalist, Lighthouse, Secret Chamber, Ambassador, Shanty Town, Ironworks, Scavenger, Contraband, Mandarin

This game I completely messed up. I intended to build an engine with Hamlet/Shanty Town/Mandarin (which isn't too great to begin with bc of the weak draw) and Ambassador for "trashing", but I got lost in the early game mess and started gaining Silvers with Ironworks, which wasn't really part of the plan. While he opened Lighthouse instead of Ambassador (getting an Amb only on turn 9), which I think is a clear mistake, he had much better focus for the rest of the game, buying a bunch of Golds and Provinces for a deserved 34-35 win when I stupidly buy the last Province.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130416/log.50ce244fe4b0e91495e0f605.1366145637655.txt
Fishing Village, Coppersmith, Ironworks, Spice Merchant, Trader, Ghost Ship, Harvest, Wharf, Adventurer, Nobles

I see Fishing Village and Wharf and dismiss everything else after a quick glance. He opens Ironworks, which I don't like because you don't need that many Fishing Villages or Silvers. I opened Fishing Village/Silver for a Wharf on turn 3 while he gets a Wharf only on turn 5. I keep spamming Wharfs, while he gets a Gold on turn 9 and buys a Province the next turn with $10, 3 buys and 2 Wharfs left in the supply. I'm happy to grab them next turn, winning the Wharf split 7-3. While he has 2 Provinces when I buy my first Province and Gold, I have the better deck so I like my chances in the end-game. He broke PPR on turn 14 which enabled me to end the game in my favor: 38-33.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50ce244fe4b0e91495e0f605.1366231944071.txt
Moat, Alchemist, Cutpurse, Fortress, Talisman, Hunting Party, Junk Dealer, Market, Mystic, Witch

He opens cutpurse/silver, which I don't know what to think of. On the one hand it can work out great to deny me a Witch on turn 3 or 4, but on the other hand you can be almost certain that it will collide with or be drawn dead by your future Witches, in which case you'd much prefer a silver. I open silver/silver. He cutpurses my $3 hand into $2 while buying a Witch, I buy an Estate to trash Hovel, but should probably have bought a Moat. He gets a second Witch on turn 4 while I get my first one, his Witches don't collide during the next shuffle, I buy a second Witch after he buys his first gold, but my Witches do collide the next hand, and the game is basically over. I get my first gold only after he gets his 4th, I lose the curse split 4-6, and he books a comfortable win (26-45).

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50ce244fe4b0e91495e0f605.1366233294777.txt
Lookout, Quarry, Rats, Throne Room, Golem, Inn, Market, Tribute, Goons, Grand Market

I want to build a Golem/Goons/Grand Market/Throne Room engine, so I open Lookout/Quarry. I get a potion on turn 3 which was probably too early. I end up with 2 Golems in my deck before I can buy a Goons on turn 10, the same turn I trashed the Potion to save a Golem and Silver, which I should have kept because the Golems were finally becoming useful. My opponent seems to be going for an engine with TR/Market/Inn/Goons/GM, which starts running well when he suddenly buys a Province which I think should have been two Goons. He keeps buying Provinces while I don't intend to buy any and instead go for a big Goons turn and a three-pile ending (which happen on turn 20 and 22, respectively). I win 61-34, but am curious how it would have turned out had he not gone for Provinces. It would have ended on piles earlier, possibly with him ahead.

I enjoyed the games, thanks for playing Stick!

andwilk

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2013, 08:53:11 am »
+1

Avin vs andwilk 4-2-0 => Avin wins

Game 1:
Tunnel, Baron, Island, Scout, Thief, Bandit Camp, Ill-Gotten Gains, Trading Post, Tribute, King's Court, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1366243951760.txt
My comment: Pretty much dominated by IGG
1-0-0

Game 2:
Haven, Vagrant, Farming Village, Nomad Camp, Talisman, Golem, Counting House, Graverobber, Venture, King's Court, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Colony, Platinum, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50804653fca2b99a1806c3c1.1366244565727.txt
My comment: I've never seen Havens used so strongly. Nice work. I missed a buy once where I bought a third Platinum instead of a colony, and had I had that colony I would have bought the penultimate colony as well ... not sure if it would have made the difference but I was definitely regretting my decision.
1-1-0

Game 3:
Pawn, Alchemist, Rats, Market, Merchant Ship, Rabble, Torturer, Wharf, Adventurer, Harem, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1366244935938.txt
My comment: I thought for sure I'd be able to pull off a double province buy to offset my investment in alchemists, but it never came together and I was too slow.
1-2-0

Game 4:
Moat, Develop, Oasis, Oracle, Village, Warehouse, Alchemist, Remake, Explorer, Mine, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50804653fca2b99a1806c3c1.1366245311594.txt
My comment: I think the biggest difference in our games was I started with a silver instead of a warehouse, which allowed me money sooner (in particular I bought a Mine mostly so I could remake it into a Gold shortly afterward, and use it a couple times until it coincided with the remake)
2-2-0

Game 5:
Beggar, Duchess, Pearl Diver, Scheme, Ironworks, Quarry, Bandit Camp, Cache, Minion, Possession, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50d27829e4b00e9b124212b1.1366246156289.txt
My comment: I was afraid you would win the Minion split early on. But my extra Bandit Camps allowed me to get more spoils faster for the late game province buying power.
3-2-0

I had played first on Game 1 so we played a 6th game.

Game 6:
Herbalist, Apothecary, Swindler, Farming Village, Moneylender, Salvager, Apprentice, Jester, Stables, Hoard, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130417/log.50804653fca2b99a1806c3c1.1366247114845.txt
My comment: My first swindler hit copper, yours hit estate. In fact you never hit copper at all (probably didn't help that I opened Moneylender with the clearly better 4/3 opening). So I think luck heavily favored me this game.
4-2-0

Thanks for the games!

These games made me miss veto mode!  My 3 least favorite cards showed up in this match (IGG, Minion, Swindler) and the sets were rather uninteresting as at least 5 out of the 6 games were BM or race-type games.  Here are some thoughts:

Game 1: IGG race and I start as 2nd player.  There is no good way to handle the curses and I lose the race 6-4 and the game by 2 points.

Game 2: Probably my best game.  I play BM+Nomad Camp with lots of Havens to line up my turns for Colonies and it works out well.

Game 3: I play strictly Wharf/BM against his Alchemists.  Had my opponent invested a little more in his economy, I think he would have pulled it off.

Game 4: As 2nd player, I open Remake/Warehouse hoping to line up Remakes better and accelerate the opening portion of the game.  After I play Warehouse on Turn 3, and I end up with 4c/3e in my hand with no Remake, I realize my gamble did not pay off.

Game 5: I despise Minions.  That is all.

Game 6: I played suboptimally here.  I should have realized that with Swindler on the board, Coppers were dangerous to keep around.  I purposely kept them for Stables, and I ended up swimming in Curses.

Kahlebb

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2013, 04:07:00 pm »

Kahlebb lost to gman314 in some of the worst play ever!

Congrats man.

We were bad about keeping logs, but I can dig 'em up if they're required (though play was embarassing enough I wouldn't mind avoiding it).

I went first on game one. Sequence was (from my perspective) loss, loss, win, loss.

Gg gman and good luck in the future.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2013, 04:15:58 pm »

More details on Kahlebb vs. gman314.

I got logs for all the games except game 2.

Game 1 - I go for pretty much nothing but IGG which bogs down his Alchemist approach.
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365874523656.txt

Game 2 - I got a 5/2 against his 4/3 so I got Cultist vs. Marauder, and then went Cultist-BM with a couple of random Pearl Divers for the win.

Game 3 - This was a really fun one to play with Possession, Apothecary and Horn of Plenty. Neither of us really fired up our HoPs, and then Kahlebb won. http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130413/log.5072a0b151c30da02a09ac84.1365874523656.txt

Game 4 - I went for Alchemist while he went for Margrave and Embassy. I also picked up a Margrave and did some really weird (and probably ill-advised) Procession shenanigans, but somehow pulled off a win anyways.

Gg Kahlebb, better luck in future matches.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2013, 05:15:11 pm »
+1

AHoppy vs. Loppo 3-2
We got a little confused on when to play the sixth game, so I will post that log when we play the game, probably tomorrow.  In the mean time:

So far we have played 5 excellent games!  It was enjoyable to be able to play online again, especially with all the cards.  Thanks Loppo and good luck in the 6th game, and the rest of the tournament!

game 1: AHoppy 24 - Loppo 33
Chancellor, Forager, Sage, Cartographer, Embassy, Ghost Ship, Ill-Gotten Gains, Merchant Ship, Mine, Rebuild
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366397784797.txt
I go IGG early, but his Forager doesn't mind.  Forager played a big role to my loss here.  Shelters made me not want to go for rebuild.  We actually both only got Foragers, Sages and IGG.  Well deserved win on Loppo's part.  Note turn 9:  I have not had a chance to play much on Goko, and this was the result.  Ah well.

game 2: AHoppy 24 - Loppo 12 (Resigned)
Duchess, Squire, Ambassador, Shanty Town, Wishing Well, Woodcutter, Ironworks, Harem, Hoard, Forge
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366398914514.txt
Ambassador game, my Shanty Towns and Wishing Wells somehow work out quite well with squire to help get silver, Loppo resigns when I'm gaining golds from hoard and buying provinces

game 3: Loppo 28 - AHoppy 51
Native Village, Fortune Teller, Hermit, Loan, Watchtower, Armory, Worker's Village, Apprentice, Cultist, Fairgrounds
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366400634566.txt
This was probably the most interesting game of the match thus far.  We both go for Cultists using Armory to pick up all the cheap actions and some silver along the way, then we transition into using Hermits/Madmen to draw.  Loppo does more aggressive trashing, I don't to keep variety and manage to win the Fairgrounds split with a triple Fairgrounds turn due to Madman. 

game 4: Loppo 42 - AHoppy 34
Chapel, Moat, Lookout, Oasis, Smugglers, Procession, Cache, Duke, Margrave, Tactician
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366401575536.txt
Another pretty interesting one.  I snag Caches early on and a Tactician to help counter Margrave and in hopes of going Duchy-Duke.  Loppo builds a nice deck incorporating procession.  I still really don't understand how to use Procession correctly, but Loppo does and combos it with Smugglers to steal Dukes and Duchys, winning the Duke split, further establishing my hatred for Smugglers...  I probably should have dived for Duchys earlier, but overall it was a good game.

game 5: AHoppy 92 - Loppo 0
Cellar, Squire, Sage, Woodcutter, Envoy, Scout, Horn of Plenty, Inn, Farmland, King's Court
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366402658283.txt
I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry... turn 3 gold, early HoP, early KC, snowballs into a triple KC-Envoy and HoP megaturn ending with 6 Colonies and 2 Provinces.  This was all luck...
BTW: Picked up a scout to get me 11 differently named cards.  So in a way, a King's Courted Scout won me the game...

Thanks for the games so far, I really enjoyed them and I'll post our 6th game when we play it.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2013, 02:30:30 pm »

Loppo vs. AHoppy ends in a draw

game 6: Loppo 40 - AHoppy 30
Transmute, Vineyard, Poor House, Embargo, Apothecary, Pirate Ship, Spy, Young Witch, Cultist, Horn of Plenty, Mystic
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130420/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366481149169.txt
Scratch game 3 being the most interesting.  THis was the most interesting game tactically.  YW with embargo as bane makes for a pretty strong YW.  Vineyard seems to be a good counter to cultist however, so I open YW embargo, even with the 5-2.  However, having the more valuable vineyards didn't help since I lost the vineyard split so badly.  My second transmute should have been a vineyard.  If you are going to analyze one game of the series, check this one out.

Thanks for the games Loppo, it was still a great series! 

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2013, 02:36:57 pm »
+1

Stealth Tomato 3 - 2 attrill (attrill goes 1st 3x)

We played in Pro mode, and held serve through four games (attrill going first in the first two, me going first in the next two) before I took the decisive Game 5 on the road. We had some really, really neat boards show up. It's difficult to realize just how great Dark Ages is until you have to play it competitively and it's so fucking difficult and mindbending and oh god there are so many strategic and tactical options here

Game 1 attrill 38-17 http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130420/log.50f5dcbde4b03946044c889a.1366479312593.txt
I try a weird Rats thing, he doesn't. He plays well, I don't. He wins.

Game 2 attrill 54-40
We forgot the log, but attrill went first, opened Apprentice-Embargo with 5/2 (with Fortress on the board!), embargoed the Apprentices before I could get any, and picked up 5/4 on turns 3/4. The decks after Turn 4:
attrill: 7 Copper 2 Estate Apprentice Rabble Potion
Stealth: 7 Copper 3 Estate Curse Apprentice 3 Silver
Also of note, Goons was available, and no trashing besides Apprentice.
What followed was an immensely frustrating game for me. He played well from ahead, picking up four Goons and using them to rack up a ton of points before killing the piles.

Game 3 Stealth Tomato 30-29http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130420/log.50f5dcbde4b03946044c889a.1366480847036.txt
Ambassador, Fool's Gold, Council Room, and Mining Village. We both open double-Amb, I get a quick lead in Ambassador tennis and some Fool's Golds, he gets to the Provinces first and picks up a 14-point lead with two Provinces remaining going into Turn 15. I trash both my Mining Villages to pull off exactly $21 a relatively lucky Province-Province-Duchy buy to win by a dollar and a point with the turn edge.

Game 4 Stealth Tomato 45-21
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130420/log.50f5dcbde4b03946044c889a.1366481529286.txt
I put together a neat University-Bazaar-Hunting Grounds-Forge thing that pulls 4 Provinces and 4 Duchies on turns 14-15 with no +buys.

Game 5
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130420/log.50f5dcbde4b03946044c889a.1366482308478.txt
Hamlet-Tunnel-Wharf. I sell out for Wharves, he doesn't, he overloads a bit on Tunnels, and he ends up struggling to put up $8 as I methodically drain the Provinces and Great Halls.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:58:40 pm by Stealth Tomato »

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2013, 05:14:35 am »
+1

thanks AHoppy for this 6 games. I felt some games were decided by luck (this is luck on both sides), and in general i got the feeling you made the better decicions im most of the games. I'm still not sure what was correct in 6th game.

game 1: AHoppy 24 - Loppo 33
Chancellor, Forager, Sage, Cartographer, Embassy, Ghost Ship, Ill-Gotten Gains, Merchant Ship, Mine, Rebuild
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366397784797.txt
I go IGG early, but his Forager doesn't mind.  Forager played a big role to my loss here.  Shelters made me not want to go for rebuild.  We actually both only got Foragers, Sages and IGG.  Well deserved win on Loppo's part.  Note turn 9:  I have not had a chance to play much on Goko, and this was the result.  Ah well.
here you hit a series of 5 for IGG on turns 3,5,6 while i get my first 5 on turn 8 definitely a good start for me. When i realised you dont intend to gain a forager i pump them up to 3, and they help me come back. rebuild was no real option with shelters / no +buy. Forager is a strong card.

game 2: AHoppy 24 - Loppo 12 (Resigned)
Duchess, Squire, Ambassador, Shanty Town, Wishing Well, Woodcutter, Ironworks, Harem, Hoard, Forge
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366398914514.txt
Ambassador game, my Shanty Towns and Wishing Wells somehow work out quite well with squire to help get silver, Loppo resigns when I'm gaining golds from hoard and buying provinces

My ambassadors dont find cards to return, or miss the reshuffle. That totally turns the game around. Your wishing well/shanty towns work out, on my side they refuse to work properly. So i resign when there is no hope to come back, mainly to save time.

game 3: Loppo 28 - AHoppy 51
Native Village, Fortune Teller, Hermit, Loan, Watchtower, Armory, Worker's Village, Apprentice, Cultist, Fairgrounds
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366400634566.txt
This was probably the most interesting game of the match thus far.  We both go for Cultists using Armory to pick up all the cheap actions and some silver along the way, then we transition into using Hermits/Madmen to draw.  Loppo does more aggressive trashing, I don't to keep variety and manage to win the Fairgrounds split with a triple Fairgrounds turn due to Madman. 
This was a fine kingdom. Unfortunately i have 4/4 on turns 3+4, while AHoppy gets a cultist turn 5. I try to catchup with more aggressive trashing, but it just doesn't happen.

game 4: Loppo 42 - AHoppy 34
Chapel, Moat, Lookout, Oasis, Smugglers, Procession, Cache, Duke, Margrave, Tactician
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366401575536.txt
Another pretty interesting one.  I snag Caches early on and a Tactician to help counter Margrave and in hopes of going Duchy-Duke.  Loppo builds a nice deck incorporating procession.  I still really don't understand how to use Procession correctly, but Loppo does and combos it with Smugglers to steal Dukes and Duchys, winning the Duke split, further establishing my hatred for Smugglers...  I probably should have dived for Duchys earlier, but overall it was a good game.

here the luck is on my side. My game plan was some double tactician with oasis + marggrave. I totally overlooked duke/cache. So when AHoppy goes for it, my plan goes out of the window. And i go for procession/smuggler. Due to a trim deck and shuffle luck, i play 3 Procession of smugglers for 2 duchies and 4 dukes. My deck has fallen to pieces afterwards, and i'm happy to be able to pile out before AHoppy can mount a comeback. This was merely falling over the line.

game 5: AHoppy 92 - Loppo 0
Cellar, Squire, Sage, Woodcutter, Envoy, Scout, Horn of Plenty, Inn, Farmland, King's Court
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130419/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366402658283.txt
I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry... turn 3 gold, early HoP, early KC, snowballs into a triple KC-Envoy and HoP megaturn ending with 6 Colonies and 2 Provinces.  This was all luck...
BTW: Picked up a scout to get me 11 differently named cards.  So in a way, a King's Courted Scout won me the game...

Boah, what a spanking i received here. Early gold, HP, Plat,.. and i never get a bite at the cherry. Very well played from AHoppy as well. Not even my clever scout buy saved me

game 6: Loppo 40 - AHoppy 30
Transmute, Vineyard, Poor House, Embargo, Apothecary, Pirate Ship, Spy, Young Witch, Cultist, Horn of Plenty, Mystic
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130420/log.50955175e4b013548a3d58f0.1366481149169.txt
Scratch game 3 being the most interesting.  THis was the most interesting game tactically.  YW with embargo as bane makes for a pretty strong YW.  Vineyard seems to be a good counter to cultist however, so I open YW embargo, even with the 5-2.  However, having the more valuable vineyards didn't help since I lost the vineyard split so badly.  My second transmute should have been a vineyard.  If you are going to analyze one game of the series, check this one out.   

yeah, i would lve to hear community thoughts on this game as well. I open 4/3 and open Silver/Young witch. AHoppy opens 5/2 and take Young witch over cultist. Do you agree?

I take a cultist later, while Ahoppy takes a 2nd Young witch. My reasoning is "more Junk is his deck is better", even though it pumps the vineyards. I load up on potions just before every reshuffle,  and this pays off. Even though i lose the curse split 3/7, my potion advanatge pays off and i manage to snag up 6 vineyards.

It was a crazy game where we both buy every action card possible. Even transmute plays a role here.

The big question remains. There must be a better strategy available, than we both played. What would you have done here?

Thanks for the games Loppo, it was still a great series! 

ditto, a great series and a result i can live with. Actually i feel you deserved to win. Given the 6 games +1 we played for fun, you were the stronger player. I definitelyneed to get some training sessions in.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2013, 03:27:28 pm »

Just waiting on the results from our last match.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2013, 08:16:39 am »

Second round pairings are posted!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 6.738 seconds with 20 queries.