Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: My Stupider Project: Dominicon  (Read 12216 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Re: My Stupider Project: Dominicon
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 07:02:49 am »

I agree with others that the apple icon is unnecessarily confusing, a card icon would work better.  For actions, I think an 'A' inside a circle would be be much easier to remember for any language where the equivalent of 'Action' starts with 'A'.  Since some cards already use letters, it doesn't seem like that's a design constraint for you.

The types and names have a letter. And hey, that includes the Action type! So using the same as a +Action would certainly be confusing. And it's consistently only types and names now.
As I said earlier, something better than the apple thing is probably doable, but just saying "card icon" is not offering a practical alternative. You need icons for draw, play, gain, discard, general card, this card, all cards, the cards that were chosen/gained/etc, the other cards, supply, supply pile, aside area, play area, deck, discard pile, face-up, face-down... Not all of these can have a "card icon".

Oh my, this doesn't make the cards more readable, but I'm not sure whether it's the current icons or any icons.

The thing was not to make the game more readable or playable, because I knew that the opposite would be the case (as noted in the OP). :) And the reason is first of all that any version of the cards where all activity is reduced to icons would be confusing, and second that I chose to use my "verbose" versions of the cards as a template, so that there are even more icons on the cards (in exchange for less rules outside the cards). Maybe some better icons could have mitigated this a little bit, but I'm not convinced.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 07:05:31 am »

I wonder if it's possible to be less literal and precise at the same time.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 04:30:15 pm »
+1

I wanted to reply earlier, but I had not much time at that moment, and later I forgot. Well, better late than never :)

I like the Intrigue icon cards. Some more comments:

-I doubt that the wording of the lose track rule in you current rulebook is correct, especially this part the expected location, which is where the card was when the event was triggered, or where the event itself has subsequently put it. I think this is not true. Suppose you Throne a Mining Village in a Possession turn, and trash the mining village the first time you play it (and then it gets set aside by possession). Then if you play the Mining Village for the second time, it has lost track of itself, hence it cannot trash itself another time. But I interpret "when the event was triggered" as the moment you play the MV for the second time, and by that time it is already set aside, so according to your definition, the expected location of the MV (according to the events on the MV) is where the MV actually is, so the MV has not lost track of itself. But maybe if you define "event" and "moment an event triggers" differently, it could still work...

I chose to have all gaining that involves choosing be two separate events. The reason was that there have been many questions regarding timing in the forums, where people have different opinions on how it works based on whether choosing comes first as a separate step. In Dominion it always does, so I thought the cards should reflect that.
About this, doesn't this hold for everything? Trashing, discarding, etc. For example if you trash with chapel, you first choose all cards you trash, and then trash them, resolving the on-trash effects (so if that makes you draw cards, you can't trash those as well). It's strange you do make the choice explicit for gaining, but not for trashing.

Looking forward to future sets with icons ;D

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 08:32:20 pm »

Thanks for your post!

-I doubt that the wording of the lose track rule in you current rulebook is correct, especially this part the expected location, which is where the card was when the event was triggered, or where the event itself has subsequently put it. I think this is not true.

It seems you're right about this. I think that currently this only happens with cards that are played and so are supposed to be in play, because of Throne Room and similar cards. When a card is moved in any other way (gained, discarded, trashed) it either ends up where it's supposed to, or it's not <gained/discarded/trashed> at all, so it doesn't matter for triggered events. But you can actually play a card without doing the associated movement (moving the card to play). Anyway, that means my text is wrong. I need to think about how to phrase it better. The Dark Ages rulebook doesn't really satisfactorily explain "expected location" in a complete way; it just gives examples.

About this, doesn't this hold for everything? Trashing, discarding, etc. For example if you trash with chapel, you first choose all cards you trash, and then trash them, resolving the on-trash effects (so if that makes you draw cards, you can't trash those as well). It's strange you do make the choice explicit for gaining, but not for trashing.

You're right that there's no essential difference between those activities. You always choose card(s) first, then do the activity. The thing is that for gaining, there are some questions, see this thread to see what I mean: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/863415/can-you-smuggle-a-mercenary-or-spoils-via-smuggler

(Whether or not choosing is presented as a separate step for trashing, doesn't have any bearing on whether you can resolve on-trash effects for each trashed card though. That is to say, even if choosing were presented as a separate step first, the actual trashing of the chosen cards could still be construed as being non-atomic. So we need a rule saying that trashing is atomic in any case.)

synpax

• Steward
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 03:19:49 am »
+1

Good God, you must be trolling.

So now, rather than just having to learn English to play Dominion, I need to learn a whole other language.

GEE, THANKS.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever encountered in my entire life.
This user is banned!

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 10:50:41 pm »
+5

Actually I think that's you.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 03:57:21 am »

Actually I think that's you.
You think he is a good God?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 12:25:57 pm »

I would love for there to be a card instruction language, for designing fan cards that would play in an online implementation of a deck-building game.

(A knock-off, of course. It should have none of the cards from Dominion, so that it would not infringe copyright.)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 09:24:53 pm »
+3

This would be more fun if you posted them without picutres and we had to guess which does cards are :P

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 12:11:02 am »

This is the dumbest thing I've ever encountered in my entire life.
Then you have lived an incredibly sheltered life. Welcome to the internet.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.