Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Graverobber+Border Village  (Read 6896 times)

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
Combo: Graverobber+Border Village
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:39:51 am »
+3

I noticed this nice combo lately and it seems like there isn't written anything about it.

Graverobber+Border Village isn't a game-changing combo à la Chancellor/Stash where you can ignore most of other cards and go for it, but its maybe the most power combo of the "When-gain-cards+trash for benefit" ones.

How it works
Border Village let you additionally gain a cheaper card. In this combo, you mostly will take some drawers and/or thinners for get the engine working, later on you take graverobbers with the BVs. So now (in a engine with small deck or good draw), you can trash the BV with graverobber and gain a province/another BV+5$-card and with the second graverobber you can grab the BV back from the trash (what is neat if the supply pile is already empty) , gaining a further Graverobber/strong $5. So you can basically get Province+$5-card out of 2 Graverobbers.

Strenghts

Endgame
At the and of the game, you have lots of options. You have a huge amount of cards, that you can graverob into a province (BV, Graverobber, other $5s from BV), and you can get Duchys by graverobbering back BVs.
And since Graverobber topdecks the gained card, you can almost ensure that you have some BV together with your Graverobbers, either for producing actions or gaining provinces.

Getting massable $5s quickly
Once your engine is running, you're able to grab many 5s for keep your engine going and later to trash them into provinces. Cities comes in mind. I haven't tried it because it's already a 3-card-combo, but it should work well, though. They make sure you have enough draw and actions and can lead in a megaturn buy turning multiple Cities/BVs into Provinces at once.

With special cards:

Embargo: Just put the embargo token on provinces and/or Colonies. The Tokens don't care you much, because you don't buy your important cards, you gain them via Graverobber or Border Village. The only card which can hurt you when being embargoed is BV itself. If there's some trashing, you could still buy some BVs, but not to much, then you're ruining your advantage by empty the curses.

Weakness

Opponent's Graverobbers
If you are trashing much with Graverobbers, you're not safe to get them back. Your opponent (especially when he went the same strategy, but also as a little counter) can steal you the BVs from the trash and profit on his own.

Colony games
The combo works when the cards to gain are $5-$9, but $11 is unreachable for Graverobber. The only thing you can do is a province rush or end on piles after a few provinces, but you will fail most of the time against a wellbuilt colony-oriented engine

Have you any thoughts of this combo or additional comments to strenghts or weaknesses I've forgotten?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:41:52 pm by achmed_sender »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Graverobber+Border Village
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:29 am »

Do you think it can win a plat game?

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:08:29 am »

I even forgot that! Colony games seems to be another big weakness 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 11:25:47 am »

You might be able to load up on plats.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:50:17 am »

ive noticed that graverobber adds a whole new element to games with hinterlands cards. many of the hinterland cards have an on-gain effect, and gaining from the trash is a new (obviously) way for the on-gain effect to trigger. border village is definitely the most interesting one to graverob, imo
Go, and do likewise.

Jiriki

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:39:21 pm »

With BV offering gains both from the supply and when acquired from the trash I bet games would 3 pile more often than go down to colonies.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:18 pm »

With BV offering gains both from the supply and when acquired from the trash I bet games would 3 pile more often than go down to colonies.
Depends on the kingdom, really. Although this is an engine combo, so three pile endings are going to be infinitely more likely if you folow through with this.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 12:24:51 pm »

I've never played graverobber with BV, but I have with University and also with Cultist. Both end the game on piles crazy fast. BV is similar to University for this since it gives lots targets for Graverobber and gives actions to play them. Actually thinking about it, the game will end on Provinces most likely. You can easily to triple provinces with cultist+graverobber, so finishing them off with BV wouldn't be too hard either.

And these were in colony games. With the right cards, there is not enough time to get plats and colonies with graverobber since it can be very good at getting provinces fast.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:27:15 pm by KingZog3 »

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 08:16:26 am »

Royal Seal/Watchtower are nice supporters of BV/GR, because you just have to hold 4$+ Royal Seal in hand to topdeck BV+GR, and you've just easily set up the combo.

Inn is also nice, you can prepare a DoubleProvince turn by shuffling in BV x3, GR x2. With a nice carddraw you can even do 3-Province buys. In addition, Inn is a further card you can GR in a Province, and set up the gain-ability again by grabbing it from the trash.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 01:44:43 pm »

Royal Seal/Watchtower are nice supporters of BV/GR, because you just have to hold 4$+ Royal Seal in hand to topdeck BV+GR, and you've just easily set up the combo.

Inn is also nice, you can prepare a DoubleProvince turn by shuffling in BV x3, GR x2. With a nice carddraw you can even do 3-Province buys. In addition, Inn is a further card you can GR in a Province, and set up the gain-ability again by grabbing it from the trash.

When are you going to buy that Royal Seal? I'd wager that buying another Graverobber instead would be more effective.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 05:40:34 pm »

When are you going to buy that Royal Seal? I'd wager that buying another Graverobber instead would be more effective.
Right, they conflict because they both cost $5, but if you have an early $5, you better buy RS before, GR is not really effective in Early-game (much worse than Expand)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 06:55:25 pm »

$11 is unreachable for Graverobber

Except for peddler. Could a graverobber/peddler strategy work in a colony game? I think one problem is you can't get them back from the trash.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 07:44:15 pm »

Well, assuming you are playing Border Village-Graverobber, you could buy a Border Village and gain a Peddler (during your buy phase).  Another option, as was mentioned earlier, is to turn border village into platinum and buy the colony directly.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:28:53 am »

With amazing support Graverobber MIGHT be able to outrace Colonies, but going for lots of platinum works too.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 10:37:25 am »

Right, they conflict because they both cost $5, but if you have an early $5, you better buy RS before, GR is not really effective in Early-game (much worse than Expand)

But to get to where it's effective you are going to need GRs and targets, like maybe other GRs. I doubt RS will be helpful enough to warrant skipping an extra GR.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.004 seconds with 20 queries.