Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dutch Championships 2013  (Read 19606 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch Championships 2013
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 09:34:28 am »

Als er een vast aantal finaleplaatsen zijn die verdeeld worden over 2 per voorronde, zou je bij 1 of 2 aanmeldingen toch automatisch geplaatst moeten zijn, en bij 3 aanmeldingen hadden ze het gewoon door kunnen laten gaan?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 02:32:34 pm »

SCSN is dutch too? Man, what a beastly Dominion country.
You said it! It's going to be hard to defend the title this year because all of the players will have at least some skill since they placed in a preliminary round.

Still going to try my best though! I hope very much I can make it, I already noted the date and am quite looking forward to it.
I like online Dominion, but I loooove real life Dominion (especially 3p), it's just sad I don't get to play much of it other than at the nationals. And at least I'll meet some of the guys I battle online and talk on these forums with in real life again, that's always nice.

It's been great being the champ, especially because the event was held only two weeks after our baby boy was born, I'll never forget it. I can't wait to tell him the story of his dad who was very tired, still decided to go, and won a Dutch championship. It doesn't really matter that it was Dominion, that's just nice for me, because I happen to like the game, I just hope being able to tell I was a national champion of anything makes him proud of his old man. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

grobblewobble

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 08:57:26 am »

Hee dit klinkt super tof, is het nog mogelijk je te plaatsen of ben ik al te laat?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 09:56:21 am »

Based on the number of games played, it is hard to defend the title as luck plays some role. Not to say Davio is a worthy champion but variance is just greater than with pure strategy games, so it's more likely sb else will win than if the game was pure strategy.

As for other games where the distribution of cards plays a role, the succession of different winners is quite noticeable.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:01:01 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 10:28:12 am »

Luck definitely plays a role, as I said in my report last year. I didn't claim that since I had won I was automatically the most skilled player or the luckiest, but I think I had a good combination of both.

The same applies to the WSOP champions: They seem to have at least some moderate skill - heck, even Chris Moneymaker dared to bluff Sammy Farha - but I'm pretty sure most of them were called all-in and survived at least one time.

This doesn't mean we can't have fun tournaments of course, you just have to take them for what they are. Yes, it's more likely that somebody else will win, I'm fine with that. The reason I'm going is not that I want to prove to everyone that I'm a worthy champion, it's still the same as last year: To have some fun and challenging games, to get to play in real life and to hang out with some fellow Dominion fans I know from the online scene.

But yeah, besides the luck aspect which is quite significant, the overal skill level I'm going to be facing is a bit higher this year I think. As a game has been out longer, you'll see a tendency of people getting better at it. More strategies are discovered, more information is shared. And the people who keep playing it after all those years instead of moving on, are the ones who still enjoy getting better at it.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 04:11:26 pm »
+3

tl;dr I qualified for the Dutch/Belgian Championship

Today I played in a qualifier tournament for the Dutch/Belgian championship. There were 8 players and the organisers decided to let us play 7 rounds heads up so everyone would play each other. The top 2 players would get a qualification ticket. Each round would have 5 random cards from base set and Intrigue so not the full Dominion experience but at least not the horror that is pure base Dominion.

First round I played against a n00b, but the board was pretty interesting featuring Conspirator, Mining Village and Throne Room. I looked for a Big Money enabler, but found none so I decided to flex my engine building muscles and go for big Conspirator chains building up to double Province. I opened Woodcutter/Workshop. I did eventually get the big chains, but 1 Woodcutter was apparently not enough so I had several turns where I spent $13 on single Province. Oh well, I'm no Stef, but my engine seemed good enough to beat my newbie opponent.

Second round I faced a slightly more seasoned player as he admitted to playing on Goko. We mirrored the opening with Baron/Silver then continued to try to win the Minions split. My opponent detoured for a single Torturer but that seemed pretty useless without Villages. I did take one Curse in the early game to ensure buying a Minion. We split the Minions evenly and I started focusing on golds while my adversary went for Markets and Wishing Well hoping to keep his Minion deck rolling. I liked my plan better, but we split the Provinces 4/4. This meant I lost by 1 point (the Curse!!!). Ugh.

Round three featured a Bridge mega turn with Village, Throne Room and Smithy to enable it. I pulled off the 8 Bridges turn pretty fast (my opponent didn't have Provinces yet). This game proved to me once again that Dominion is actually an online game that happens to also exist in the real world. You should have seen my play area in the final turn. A big mess of Villages, Throne Rooms, Smithies and Bridges.

Round four I played against a girl. Yes, unlike Magic, girls play Dominion. I wasn't happy though. She opened Witch/Cellar on a dry board (I mean no engine in sight) while I had to settle for Swindler/Silver. I did get 2 Witches in the second shuffle and she didn't get a second Witch so we split the Curses 5/5. It was a tense match with me hoping she'd make a mistake (like buying Villages) but she kept on buying Silvers and Golds. In the end We split the Provinces and Duchies evenly, but she ended the game and was first player so I was awarded the win. Phew!

Round five featured Minions again, but also Duke. I opened Masquerade/Silver and went on to win the Minions split 7-3. That was pretty much good game, but him going for Provinces and me going for Duchy/Duke made the win even more pronounced. In the end I had 80 points to my poor opponent's 42.

Round 6 I played against another Goko player who seemed to know what he was doing. I opened a nice 5/2 with Mine into Library BM. My opponent tried to counter the Mine opening by opening Thief. Pretty desperate move, but he did steal 2 Silver in the course of the game. Eventually he pretty much mirrored my game plan, but my good start gave me a comfortable win.

Round 7 another girl. This one was very newbish as she bought pretty much each card on the board while I settled for a single Library and money. Easiest win in the tournament.

I ended up winning the tournament, so Stef and all you other Duchies better watch out, because Geronimoo is coming to crush your dreams at the national championship!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:03:46 pm by Geronimoo »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 04:15:17 pm »

Third round featured a fun board with Village, Smithy, Throne Room and Bridge a
?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 01:17:33 am »

Well, at least you're coming to play now and not just to write a report that never gets published.  ;D

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 08:12:19 am »

Hi Geronimoo,

First of all, my congratulations on your first place in the tournament. You deserved the win.

I had a few comments on your post.

Let's start with your village - smithy - bridge combo in round three. I found it great to see your table full of those cards (think there was about 23 - 24 cards in one turn) - yeah that was clear who had the better strategy.

As for my own tournament, I think I did fairly well except for one round. With a board of scout, shanty town, nobles and harem I thought I was going to be smart and bought 2 scouts (to get the harems and nobles in my hand) and 2 shanty towns from the beginning. Ye god, what was I thinking !!! I think it last until turn 11 until I got $6 in my hand, waaaaaaaay too late. Well, lessons learnt, never doing that again.

As for our game in round 2. The idea of the torturer was to use it at the end of the minion chain. The purpose ? Either giving you some trash in your deck, slowing your minion chain down, either having you to discard and force you to use the minion as a exchange into 4 cards instead of getting +$2 and picking up a new minion. I don't know whether or not this was a good idea, I'll have to download your simulator and see what it tells me.

The other thing was the secret chamber that I bought - if it were to appear at the end of my minion chain and I were to have rubbish in my hands, at least I could get some extra money out of it.

I think one of the reasons why I kept up was due to a bit of a disputable "rule" concerning the secret chamber I bought.

Minion is an attack card so each time it is played, I could use the secret chamber. Now the strange thing is that each time you played the minion, you already announced the action you were going to take. On Goko, this happens the other way around - first the opponent uses his secret chamber, then you announce the action.

The difference ? Each time you now announced that you were going to discard the cards and I used the secret chamber, of course I put my minion back on the deck and kept the rubbish in my hand. After the discard + take 4 cards, I was sure to have at least one minion there and possible get the chain going again. Worth a discussion I think.

Anyways, the difference in level was quite apparent between the players - 5 inexperienced and 3 experienced. Hope to test out my talents at the BK/NK Dominion in september (or get my ass kicked and learn !!!).
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 04:49:50 pm »

LoesU heeft zich ook geplaatst voor de finale door met een 7 uit 7 te winnen van iedereen in de voorronde in uden vandaag. Ik heb het helaas niet gehaald maar ben er zeker bij 8 september.

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 09:53:31 am »

Net post gezien op Facebook :

Voor mensen die willen weten hoe de opzet zal zijn van de dominion wedstrijd op 8 september.
-18 man ( en vrouw)
-zwitsers, 6 rondes (1 on 1)
-dan finale met laatste 2, best of three

Het tijdschema etc komt eraan. Daar wordt door onze wedstrijdleiding hard aan gewerkt!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 02:00:41 pm »
+3

Stef won, deservedly as he won all 6 of the Swiss matches and he beat Geronimoo 2-0 in the final. So Stef will follow in my footsteps as the Dutch champion and Geronimoo, although coming second in this tourney, is the Belgian champion.

My 4-2 record in the Swiss wasn't enough for a place in the finals, but I had a blast and playing Dominion for an entire day is a reward for me in of itself.

Good to see the guys from last year again and some other from this site I hadn't seen before.

Maybe I'll write a full report later, maybe not, we'll see. :)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 04:08:08 am »

Stef won, deservedly as he won all 6 of the Swiss matches and he beat Geronimoo 2-0 in the final. So Stef will follow in my footsteps as the Dutch champion and Geronimoo, although coming second in this tourney, is the Belgian champion.

Belgian or Flemish? Was this tournament advertised in the non-Flemish speaking regions of the country?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 04:24:33 am »

I don't know how they did the Belgian prelims, but it seems to me it was targeted towards the Flemish-speaking region as we were also playing with Dutch cards and players, etc.

But I think the Flemish part of the country is also the one that is the most into boardgaming as there are a lot of Flemish boardgaming clubs.

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 05:25:52 am »

Well to be honest we had ... ONE (!) preliminary. Which wasn't even announced that much too (not really the fault of the organizers, if it weren't for them, we would have had no preliminaries at all).

As for the championship, I had a blast and I completely agree with Davio - was nice to see everybody in person and to e.g. find out that SheCantSayNo is not a woman :-)

Thought I was on a roll (got 3/3 in the first three rounds with wins against bekse and dubdubdubdub). And then played like a dufus in the next three - I trapped myself quite quickly against Indur, I ignored ALL engine options against Martijn (yeah, who needs nobles, right ? Oh you've got 7 already ...) and I think Davio used the Dark Ages set because by the time I got some stuff in my deck, it resembled more a pile of ruins than anything else.

I think it's also a good time to get some ideas out in the open for next year - we all want to play with more sets, I think Stef proposed possibly organizing parts of it online on Goko too ...

Anyways, great day, great location, great competitors. I will most certainly be back next year!

MaartenRobinson

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 03:00:25 pm »
+1

I saw this message: http://www.bordspelmania.eu/evenementen/topic8946.html

Any guys attending?
The last dutch championships was really nice.
I expect Stef to be dominating there or Davio defending his title?

So if you have seen the link, what do you think about the pre rounds?
I think it will be a mistake. I don' t think much people will go to a pre round tournament.
Or at some location maybe turns up alot of people and at another location maybe 4 people. Not really fair imo

Does anyone know when the next Dutch championship will be held?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 07:47:00 am »

I saw this message: http://www.bordspelmania.eu/evenementen/topic8946.html

Any guys attending?
The last dutch championships was really nice.
I expect Stef to be dominating there or Davio defending his title?

So if you have seen the link, what do you think about the pre rounds?
I think it will be a mistake. I don' t think much people will go to a pre round tournament.
Or at some location maybe turns up alot of people and at another location maybe 4 people. Not really fair imo

Does anyone know when the next Dutch championship will be held?

It's unlikely that there will be another. The last one was in 2015, which was Base set only. The 2016 Dutch championship was cancelled because nobody wanted to organize it.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.