Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Can we have another one of these?  (Read 17423 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Can we have another one of these?
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:03:50 am »

I really enjoyed them. Would anyone be willing to host one?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Can we have another one of these?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:46:19 am »
+5

I would definitely host one. Although I'd like us to take a shot at making our own Treasure Chest expansion, which means that we should wait until Guilds is released.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:47:56 am by LastFootnote »

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:30:56 am »

I would definitely host one. Although I'd like us to take a shot at making our own Treasure Chest expansion, which means that we should wait until Guilds is released.
Well, we can start that right now by designing cards one by one.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:40:14 am »

What does Treasure Chest expansion mean, exactly? This term has seemed to pass me by.

I would like for a new mini-set to have a predetermined theme and structure (number of cards of different types).
So for instance "Seasons" could be a theme. This might help to make it more coherent.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:57:40 am »
+1

What does Treasure Chest expansion mean, exactly? This term has seemed to pass me by.

The "Treasure Chest" expansion is a theoretical set containing an extra card or two per existing expansion. Specifically, 2 cards for each "large" expansion (Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages), and 1 card for each "small" expansion (Alchemy, Cornucopia, Guilds), for a total of 13 cards. It's looking unlikely that an official Treasure Chest expansion will be released, so it seems like prime material for a fan expansion. Especially because:

• People love to make Duration cards, Potion-cost cards, etc.
• The cards wouldn't necessarily have to form a cohesive set; each card would just have to slot cleanly into its own expansion.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 01:07:06 pm »

Okay, I like that idea as well.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 01:27:50 pm »

• People love to make Duration cards, Potion-cost cards, etc.

Half my card ideas are basically cards that would fit fairly well into some sort of existing expansion.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 01:47:31 pm »

Well, we can start that right now by designing cards one by one.

I suppose this is true. I'll start working on the framework. However, I still think there's some merit to waiting a few months after Guilds because (A) it'll take a while to get a handle on the Guilds mechanics and (B) because that's when people will actually be hurting for another expansion.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 05:00:05 pm »

Might be neat to have a vote on a "mechanic theme" for the mini-set.

Something like:
Cards that discard and care about the discard pile
Cards designed for "Tournament" Dominion and cards that affect the "next game"
Cards that have persistent effects, remove cards from play and/or change the rules of the game
Cards that change the length of the game and [something else]
Cards which specifically combo with earlier under-powered cards

I like the last one.
We could make a list of the worst cards in the game, and then each round the challenge is to make a good stand-alone card that combos with a specific under-powered card. Bonus points if it also combos with a different under-powered card...

First stab:

Thief combo-card, $3
+2 cards, +2 actions
All other players gain a gold on top of their deck

Adventurer combo, $4
+1 card, +2 actions
While this is in play you may reveal any cards you draw. for every two treasures you reveal, +1 card

Ed

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:35:58 pm »

I also thought of funnier contests :
->design a card that refers to victory cards in general (Tresaury, Rebuild, Trade Route, Silk Road, Jester, Haggler and so on) but not to specific victory cards (Tournament, Baron) to other type of cards along with "victory cards in general" (Fortune Teller/Vagrant that mention curses along with victory cards, and Ironworks/Tr-ansm/ib-ute)
->design a card that gains you gold mentioned explicitely (Governor, Transmute, but not Mine) that may happen on reaction (Marquet square/Tunnel/Fool's gold) but not on gain or trash (Sir Vander)
->design an action non-terminal trasher (lookout/spice merchant/upgrade)
->design a VP-chip gainer (and a good one)
->design a card that costs $5 and that may give you $3 easily without having to trash anything (contraband, harvest, cache, mandarin/count, but not tribute because it isn't that easy (okay, to discuss with harvest) nor explorer because it doesn't give you $3 directly, neither do beggar, and not merchant ship because I want $3 this turn, not the next one)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 05:06:51 pm »
+2

->design a card that refers to victory cards in general (Tresaury, Rebuild, Trade Route, Silk Road, Jester, Haggler and so on) but not to specific victory cards (Tournament, Baron) to other type of cards along with "victory cards in general" (Fortune Teller/Vagrant that mention curses along with victory cards, and Ironworks/Tr-ansm/ib-ute)
->design a card that gains you gold mentioned explicitely (Governor, Transmute, but not Mine) that may happen on reaction (Marquet square/Tunnel/Fool's gold) but not on gain or trash (Sir Vander)
->design a card that costs $5 and that may give you $3 easily without having to trash anything (contraband, harvest, cache, mandarin/count, but not tribute because it isn't that easy (okay, to discuss with harvest) nor explorer because it doesn't give you $3 directly, neither do beggar, and not merchant ship because I want $3 this turn, not the next one)

Heh, interesting ideas, but if I run a contest to make a Treasure Chest expansion, I'm going to have the challenges be less restrictive instead of more. It'll be something like:

Design a Prosperity card. Ideally the card will incorporate one or more of the following:

• Is a Treasure card
• Interacts with Treasure cards (possibly a specific Treasure card e.g. Copper)
• Costs $6 or more
• Uses VP chips

These are just guidelines, though. Submit whatever card you want and the voters will judge the card both based on how good it is and how well it fits the guidelines.

Then, if the card picked were, say, a Treasure card that referred to other Treasure cards, the other Prosperity challenge would favor a card that was expensive and/or used VP chips.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 10:04:29 am »

Heh, interesting ideas, but if I run a contest to make a Treasure Chest expansion, I'm going to have the challenges be less restrictive instead of more. It'll be something like:

Design a Prosperity card. Ideally the card will incorporate one or more of the following:

• Is a Treasure card
• Costs $6 or more
• Uses VP chips

These are just guidelines, though. Submit whatever card you want and the voters will judge the card both based on how good it is and how well it fits the guidelines.

Then, if the card picked were, say, a Treasure card that referred to other Treasure cards, the other Prosperity challenge would favor a card that was expensive and/or used VP chips.

Taxes
Treasure, 6$
1$
+1 Buy
While this is in play, when you gain a Victory Card: +1VP

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 05:39:49 pm »

• Is a Treasure card
• Costs $6 or more
• Uses VP chips

Taxes
Treasure, 6$
1$
+1 Buy
While this is in play, when you gain a Victory Card: +1VP

Treasure - $5
0$
Trash this. Gain 2 VP chips per treasure you have in play.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 06:51:10 pm »

There should be a whole contest that uses VP chip cards.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 07:06:16 pm »
+1

A variant on a treasure chest expansion that might be interesting is to design cards that each reflect two sets, e.g., duration/potion-cost, or looter/variety. Since a treasure chest assumes that you have all the expansions already, why limit each card to reflect one expansion only? ;)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 08:17:15 pm »

A variant on a treasure chest expansion that might be interesting is to design cards that each reflect two sets, e.g., duration/potion-cost, or looter/variety. Since a treasure chest assumes that you have all the expansions already, why limit each card to reflect one expansion only? ;)

Why not? :)
Actually kinda did some of them allready, but not as a real theme for a box. Here's a new idea:

Fleet
4$, Action Duration
+ 1 Action
At this and next turns buy phase, if you have no duplicate Action cards in play: +2$
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:19:53 pm by Asper »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 10:17:08 pm »

This is something that I can't agree with strongly enough, and it's what I'd want a "Treasure Chest" expansion to do. Sure it would be nice to have another card that fits in with each expansion, but much more I'd like some cards that borrow from multiple expansions.

Some thoughts on how you could run it - make a list of some of the defining characteristics of each expansion, and have a competition for each one but where it has to reflect at least one other one (e.g. the "Potion-cost" competition would accept cards with a Potion cost, obviously, but they also have to be Duration/care about variety/have an on-buy effect etc). Then allow cards to be entered in more than one contest, or only one contest based on their "defining" characteristic (however you judge that). Probably tricky, but I'd love to see the results.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 10:35:52 pm »

Or three or four or five!
How about that potion cost duration card that gives you VP tokens as an on-buy effect if there are no more than 2 of a card in the trash!

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 01:53:50 am »

This is something that I can't agree with strongly enough, and it's what I'd want a "Treasure Chest" expansion to do. Sure it would be nice to have another card that fits in with each expansion, but much more I'd like some cards that borrow from multiple expansions.

Yes my thoughts exactly. I think it has the potential to be more interesting as a design concept/challenge than just adding what is essentially a single new card to each set.

Some thoughts on how you could run it - make a list of some of the defining characteristics of each expansion, and have a competition for each one but where it has to reflect at least one other one (e.g. the "Potion-cost" competition would accept cards with a Potion cost, obviously, but they also have to be Duration/care about variety/have an on-buy effect etc). Then allow cards to be entered in more than one contest, or only one contest based on their "defining" characteristic (however you judge that). Probably tricky, but I'd love to see the results.

I haven't given much thought to how you'd run a design contest like that. You'd probably want to avoid suggesting the expansion combinations as part of the design criteria. Maybe each round can specify a single set (e.g. Alchemy) or characteristic, and the winning card's other set or characteristic (e.g. Intrigue if it is Alchemy/Intrigue) is then eliminated from having its own competition. Maybe the larger sets can be chosen twice, I guess that is the 'conventional wisdom'. But note that you need this list of 'defining characteristics' of each set even if your treasure chest cards reflect only a single set each!

How about that potion cost duration card that gives you VP tokens as an on-buy effect if there are no more than 2 of a card in the trash!

Now you're opening a Pandora's box ... hmm that could work as the title.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 10:15:16 am »
+2

Challenge accepted ;)

Edit: I give up. You can't actually make a good card with those restrictions... Here's what i got, it's awful.

Drinking Game
P, Treasure-Duration
0$
Reveal your hand. +1$ per Potion revealed.
This stays in play until trashed.

While this is in play, when you buy a card: If there are no more than 2 Potions in the trash, + 1 VP and trash a Potion from the supply. Otherwise, you may gain a Potion from the trash.

Edit 2: at least i can't. Maybe somebody else can do it better.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:18:02 am by Asper »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:28 pm »

I like the Treasure Set expansion idea for after Guilds comes out.

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 09:08:44 pm »

This. We will use ALL the game mechanics.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 12:56:23 pm »
+1

on a single card

StrongRhino

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 01:08:38 pm »

on a single card
Yes. So much yes.
And we will create an entire 500 card set like Dark Ages comprising of only cards that have all the mechanics.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 03:25:01 pm »

on a single card
Yes. So much yes.
And we will create an entire 500 card set like Dark Ages comprising of only cards that have all the mechanics.

And they will probably all be $5 or more cards :P
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.