Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How to Use the Village in Dominion  (Read 11716 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
How to Use the Village in Dominion
« on: April 08, 2013, 06:12:31 pm »
+13

Oh man this is terrible:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4614674_use-village-dominion.html

Instructions
Realize that it is never a bad thing to have a Village in your hand. At the absolute worst, you can simply play it to draw another card, and no harm is done. However, playing a village also grants you two additional actions, which can be powerful.

Buy a Village with your first 3-dollar hand if you plan to buy a lot of action cards. This will ensure that action cards don't get stuck in your hand.

Look for cards that let you draw more cards, such as the Laboratory, Smithy, Council Room, and Witch. Add these to your deck in equal proportion along with Villages.

Play any Villages you draw immediately. This will increase your number of available actions by one, and draw you a replacement card.

Play cards that draw you more cards once you have multiple actions available. Continue trying to draw cards until you have only one available action again, or have a hand full of action cards.

Re-check your hand for villages when you have drawn cards and are down to a single action. You can then play the villages, and continue the loop at Step 4.

Sort through your hand and find the few other action cards you want to play, and play them in sequence. Getting multiple actions in a single turn will give you a strong advantage over your opponents.

Tips & Warnings
If you see other players buying villages, grab them quickly.

Don't buy too many villages without other action cards. They won't hurt you, but they really need other action cards to be effective.

Possibly worse: http://www.ehow.com/how_4671614_use-thief-dominion.html
Watch the board to look for a Moat. Rather than buying the Thief right away, buy the Moat if your opponents buy the Thief. Otherwise, buy cards such as the Village and Adventurer that will help you in the meantime and work well with a Thief later.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:14:44 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: How to Use the Village in Dominion
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:18:02 pm »
+2

Haha, this is great.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4613280_use-chapel-dominion.html

Look at the Kingdom cards available for the current game, and decide if you are willing to strip your deck down instead of adding cards to it. If not, you may not want the Chapel.

Watch out for the Witch! If the Witch is in the game, you will almost certainly want to buy at least one Chapel (and possibly two) to help you deal with the curse cards.

Buy the Chapel in your opening rounds if you have a 2-dollar hand. If (more likely) you have a 3-dollar hand, you should probably start by increasing your purchasing power before acquiring a Chapel in a later round.

Play the Chapel as your action to take up to four cards in your hand and remove them from the game. This should be used strategically to set yourself up for better draws.

Use the Chapel to remove Curse cards from your deck whenever possible, as these are worth negative points.

Use the Chapel early in the game to remove Estate cards from your deck. Although they are worth points, they are useless for most of the game, and your deck will be stronger without them.

Play the Chapel once you have acquired some silver to discard the copper from your deck. This will help assure that you draw more valuable treasure.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:24:18 pm »
+1

Hadn't gotten to that one yet! I read through Mine, Moneylender, Adventurer.... Chancellor is actually pretty much accurate.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:30:36 pm »
+1

Some other gems:

How to Win at Dominion / http://www.ehow.com/how_4609786_win-at-dominion.html
Spend all of your money unless you have a good reason not to. The treasure is all use it or lose it, so if you have $5 to spend on your turn, don't settle for a $3 silver if you can grab a nicer action card.

Throne Room / http://www.ehow.com/how_4671613_use-throne-room-dominion.html
Focus on playing the Throne Room on cards that give you more cards and actions, such as the Laboratory and Village.

Moat / http://www.ehow.com/how_4610052_use-moat-dominion.html
Get a Moat early in the game if other players are buying up attack cards such as Thief, Witch and Militia. If the board is heavy with attack cards, you may want to buy a few Moats, but keep in mind that having more than one Moat in your hand is a bad thing.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 06:34:18 pm »
+1

Hey, it gets better and better.

Workshop for Feasts if possible, and then use the Feasts to acquire 5-value cards.

This one is my favourite so far: Play Remodel on Curse cards to remove them from your deck and replace them with a Moat (especially if a Thief is in play) or a Cellar. You can later Remodel the Moat and Cellar into more Remodels.

The Bureaucrat is perhaps one of the most powerful cards in Dominion. Buy the Bureaucrat as soon as possible. This is almost always the correct play if you are trying to add treasure to your deck.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:37:40 pm »
+1

The chapel one's not bad at all. It's not completely correct in every optimalization, but

1) See if heavy trashing is useful in this kingdom, or if it's not worth the tempo loss
1.5) Double-check: Junkers make Chapel better
2) Buy Chapel early if you're buying it, and probably not more than one
3) Trash Curses, Estates, and Copper, in that order of priority

Is pretty simple, effective advice for Chapel, especially if you're still at the "why would I trash my own cards" stage.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »

Also ehow is totally an ad farm; most of their articles are similarly basic, with tons of page rank farming links so they show up high on google for the revenue.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 06:49:00 pm »

Also ehow is totally an ad farm; most of their articles are similarly basic, with tons of page rank farming links so they show up high on google for the revenue.

Indeed.

These were quite obviously written by someone who will lose at Dominion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 08:07:09 pm »
+4

The Bureaucrat is, perhaps, the most powerful card in all of Dominion.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 08:15:25 pm »
+2

This almost made me cry.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 08:17:13 pm »

The Bureaucrat is, perhaps, the most powerful card in all of Dominion.

Unfortunately, I used to also follow the philosophy of "buy bureaucrat ASAP." Gaining silver just seemed so awesome!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 08:19:11 pm »

So I guess the best $5 is now Explorer?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 08:20:10 pm »
+4

I thought dominion had been solved by only buying treasure and victory cards. Should I add bureaucrat into this strategy as well?

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 09:08:27 pm »

Library is okay actually.
Gardens is interesting to some extent, they mention woodcutter and market but not workshop. It is also advised to buy the gardens immediately. There is a comment on it that recommends buying moat if militia is on the board and you are going for gardens.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 09:18:36 pm »
+3

There is a comment on it that recommends buying moat if militia is on the board and you are going for gardens.
Especially if the Thief is also on the board!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 01:59:40 am »
+1

Moat / http://www.ehow.com/how_4610052_use-moat-dominion.html
Get a Moat early in the game if other players are buying up attack cards such as Thief, Witch and Militia. If the board is heavy with attack cards, you may want to buy a few Moats, but keep in mind that having more than one Moat in your hand is a bad thing.
What's wrong with this?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 02:05:25 am »
+3

This is almost as good as the memes thread.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 02:43:56 am »
+3

Using Upgrade on a Gold or a Province also means that you simply discard the card, as there are no cards worth 1 coin more than either of these cards. When deciding whether to play Upgrade, consider whether you have a good card to upgrade in trade for gaining another card and an Action.

Read it again and then decide whether you just want to - as there is no upgrade available for it - discard this advise or trash it.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 02:50:23 am »
+2

Using Upgrade on a Gold or a Province also means that you simply discard the card, as there are no cards worth 1 coin more than either of these cards. When deciding whether to play Upgrade, consider whether you have a good card to upgrade in trade for gaining another card and an Action.

Read it again and then decide whether you just want to - as there is no upgrade available for it - discard this advise or trash it.
interestingly though, you trash Coppers and Curses...

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 04:58:24 am »
+1

This is pure comedy gold. Somebody should put a "greatest quotes" list together.  :D

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 04:59:29 am »
+2

playing the Militia may force her to discard some good cards.
>her
So whoever wrote these, never played online. Well, then they couldn't have known that there are people who have won a hundred games for each game the writer has played and that their advice will be laughed at on some forums devoted to Dominion strategy.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 07:35:45 am »
+4

I feel like writing an article praising Scout to the sky. Clearly the most powerful card in all of Dominion.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 07:56:29 am »

I feel like writing an article praising Scout to the sky. Clearly the most powerful card in all of Dominion.

It can be +1 Action + 4 Cards. clearly powerful.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 10:29:01 am »
+1

Tips for the "Dominion" Game
"The Village is the best card to collect in Dominion because it gives you plus 1 card and plus 2 action..."
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 11:57:39 am »
+1

Tips for the "Dominion" Game
"The Village is the best card to collect in Dominion because it gives you plus 1 card and plus 2 action..."
"...however, the card you play may allow you to play another turn, such as in the case with the Village, where you can play two additional turns..."
Taking additional turns, well, that's powerful! But now which advice should I take, should I piledrive Villages or Bureaucrats?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 21 queries.