Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Race for the Galaxy - help!  (Read 1528 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Race for the Galaxy - help!
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:57:28 pm »

I've recently been introduced to RftG. Although I understand the mechanics of the game, I am awful at playing it.

I've been playing a number of games against the AI recently and putting them on YouTube. I am hoping that there are folks here who can provide feedback to help me improve my play.

The video playlist starts here. Please feel free to comment with any suggestions.

(I hope that I'll be able to continue recording for a while and eventually have a RftG channel much like the YouTube Dominion players. To that end, any thoughts on screencasting in general are welcome. I already know that I need to get a microphone that won't pick up the mouse click sound.)

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
Re: Race for the Galaxy - help!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:18:55 pm »

Watching game #1, you're calling produce way too much against an opponent with much better production than you, and not trading nearly enough.  As Alpha Centauri in 2P (non-advanced), I can't imagine doing anything other than trading first unless you have an awesome card you must immediately play (which you didn't). In the end, I think your cards synergized better and you should have won, but you treaded water too much early on instead of pushing your advantage by calling unnecessary Produces and Explores to help him make use of his start world and build a Produce/Consume tableau.

(Very amateur analysis here, sorry if this is not too helpful!)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »

You should play "2p-advanced".  The name is a misnomer.  That is how the game is intended to be played, and the basic "2p" game is an afterthought designed to introduce people to RFTG.  Hence why in the rulebook it says "2p experienced rules".

It makes a big difference because it's hard to explain higher-level 2p RFTG strategy without 2 action selections.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 07:42:00 pm »

I didn't watch very far but you need to start with a trade, getting 3 cards for your resource while your opponent gets nothing (or consumes any windfall good that might get settled). All you ever want from that resource is cards so get them.

As soon as you get terraforming robots you have to use those with an eye to laying down those cheap windfall worlds. This provides good potential with with cheap settle, settle bonus, and a consumption power. It is a more productive in terms of cards in hand than a military strategy and is more likely to hit big endgame combinations.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:23:38 pm »
+1

RftG has entered private beta phase at Goko - they have an option to sign up for the beta if you are interested.
http://beta.goko.com/games/
It doesn't look like the sign-in you used for the Dominion beta will work; you have to sign up anew.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 20 queries.